OU's next-to-last play

Mikey4

Does anyone know what OU was trying to do on its next-to-last play? It's the one at about 41:20 in this video:

OU had 9 seconds to score and was starting on its own 25. Murray lined up in the slot on the bottom of the screen. Backup QB Austin Kendall took the snap and bobbled it, basically killing the play. It looks like the pass is supposed to go to Murray, because when Murray crosses, he puts up his hands as if to say, "where is the ball?"

Murray was open, hehad some room, and he had two blockers at the top of the screen. Thank goodness Kendall bobbled the snap. The last thing we needed in that situation was Murray in space. Frankly, I'm surprised no one called timeout when they lined up like that.

1 minute ago, Mikey4 said:

Does anyone know what OU was trying to do on its next-to-last play? It's the one at about 41:20 in this video:

OU had 9 seconds to score and was starting on its own 25. Murray lined up in the slot on the bottom of the screen. Backup QB Austin Kendall took the snap and bobbled it, basically killing the play. It looks like the pass is supposed to go to Murray, because when Murray crosses, he puts up his hands as if to say, "where is the ball?"

Murray was open, hehad some room, and he had two blockers at the top of the screen. Thank goodness Kendall bobbled the snap. The last thing we needed in that situation was Murray in space. Frankly, I'm surprised no one called timeout when they lined up like that.

Probably a "longer version" of what OU did against Georgia in the Rose Bowl on touchdown pass to Mayfield...

13 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

IIRC we did call a timeout.

Yes.  They lined up, we called a TO after seeing the formation, and they came back out in the same one. 

Whatever they run off of that, they were comfortable running it even after we saw how they lined up.  The bobbled snap is exactly why you don't sub anyone cold who has to touch the ball at a critical moment.  Riley got too cute. 

i think it was to get a quick pass to Murray who could run to around midfield and step out of bounds so they have a shot at a hail mary to the endzone.
This seems right to me. A screen with blockers downfield. Murray then had 3 options: take it to the house, get within FG range and step out of bounds, or step out earlier and line up for the hail Mary. I like none of those options.

Yes.  They lined up, we called a TO after seeing the formation, and they came back out in the same one. 
Whatever they run off of that, they were comfortable running it even after we saw how they lined up.  The bobbled snap is exactly why you don't sub anyone cold who has to touch the ball at a critical moment.  Riley got too cute. 
Aah, I missed that.

If they had Brown on the opposite side of the field, trailing two yards behind Murray, they could have essily flipped the field with a backwards pass and taken it to the house.

They have a number of plays similar, look like they came from the flag football championship playbook.

Edited by pacman

3 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

As most of you saw, an ou reporter asked Riley about this exact play and asked him to explain what he was trying to do and Riley's response was a very curt, succinct, "No".

Yeah, he did not want to answer that question.

His pussy wasn’t ready to take the loss yet.

For the record, I'm not sure it's been discussed here, but Gary Johnson needs a lot of love for his work on the actual last play of the game. Just as the lateral-fest was getting going he realized that Murray was drifting in the middle of the field with a couple of blockers and made a beeline straight toward him to basically play man-to-man defense on him like a basketball player. Classic ball-you-man position and it's why he was right there to jump on it at the end. I think he also drew a holding penalty on his way to cover Murray.

Just a great heads-up play by Johnson. Even if the coaches told him, which I have no idea if that's the case, it's still a great job not to lose your bearings and your assignment/responsibility in the middle of a play like that. And it takes a lot of discipline to run away from the ball in that situation to get your man.

Seriously, watch it again and just keep your eyes on Johnson.

imgur

Edited by Huckleberry

On the last kickoff they had a dude (M Brown?) lie down in the end zone a la TCU against pOSU but Warehime emerged from a port a potty and screamed about it to a ref.  Not sure if lying down on a kickoff is illegal.  Anyway the refs made him leave the game due to missing or messed up knee pads.  [insert kneepad joke here].  Oklahoma would have been better served returning the kickoff instead of fair catching it.  The odds of a TD runback are much better than the odds of scoring from the 25 with 2 plays.

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

On the last kickoff they had a dude (M Brown?) lie down in the end zone a la TCU against pOSU but Warehime emerged from a port a potty and screamed about it to a ref.  Not sure if lying down on a kickoff is illegal.  Anyway the refs made him leave the game due to missing or messed up knee pads.  [insert kneepad joke here].  Oklahoma would have been better served returning the kickoff instead of fair catching it.  The odds of a TD runback are much better than the odds of scoring from the 25 with 2 plays.

Wait, are you implying that Warehime did something good? I don’t think I like your tone.

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Wait, are you implying that Warehime did something good? I don’t think I like your tone.

I don't know, I think most surly posters would be happy if Warehime changed roles and became our designated "spot uniform violations by the other team" coach instead of position coach. Seems like he might have a knack for that sort of thing if the story is accurate.

44 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Thank your for typing "hook and lateral" rather than "hook and ladder."  

Goddamnit this drives me nuts. We are not talking about a fucking fire engine. We are talking about a hook, or curl route, and then a lateral. People who say “hook and ladder” are lazy tards. 

2 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Goddamnit this drives me nuts. We are not talking about a fucking fire engine. We are talking about a hook, or curl route, and then a lateral. People who say “hook and ladder” are lazy tards. 

It’s just the evolution of the term. Do you get upset when someone posts sluggo instead of slant and go?

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

For the record, I'm not sure it's been discussed here, but Gary Johnson needs a lot of love for his work on the actual last play of the game. Just as the lateral-fest was getting going he realized that Murray was drifting in the middle of the field with a couple of blockers and made a beeline straight toward him to basically play man-to-man defense on him like a basketball player. Classic ball-you-man position and it's why he was right there to jump on it at the end. I think he also drew a holding penalty on his way to cover Murray.

Just a great heads-up play by Johnson. Even if the coaches told him, which I have no idea if that's the case, it's still a great job not to lose your bearings and your assignment/responsibility in the middle of a play like that. And it takes a lot of discipline to run away from the ball in that situation to get your man.

Seriously, watch it again and just keep your eyes on Johnson.

imgur

Nice find.  That's either really intelligent play, or heads-up coaching.  

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s just the evolution of the term. Do you get upset when someone posts sluggo instead of slant and go?

It’s totally different that sluggo. Sluggo is totally logical. Hook and ladder is a total misunderstanding of what one is saying because they are lazy and undoubtedly are fat. 

58 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Someone correct me if wrong but there was a rules clarification 1-2 years ago that this would be called Unsportmanlike Conduct, 15 yards.

The refs treated it like an injury substitution: the player went down before the kick and had to sub out a play.

Edited by JBJ

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I think it was just a screen to Murray. It obviously wasn't going to be a double pass because it would have been a forward pass to Murray so he couldn't have thrown another forward pass (we weren't in Lubbock with the Tech/Houston refs).

The second pass could have been a lateral. I think Auburn used a play like this in a near loss to Alabama or Georgia at the end of the game. 

It didn’t quite work, but was set up beautifully. Murray catches the ball and the entire defense swarms to him as he throws a lateral across the field or something similar to a wide open skill player with blockers in tow.