UCF May Force The Issue

Shmitty

1 minute ago, Loco said:

Maybe you can point out any other argument I missed for why ucf is a legit contender ...

Uh it's in the OP. Two years undefeated.

And that's not even the point. You don't prove the existence of an argument by pretending there exists no other argument. Like I said, literally no one is suggesting UCF gets in the CFP in 2018 because of their win vs. Auburn last year. Absolutely no one. 

Edited by hpslugga

2 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Uh it's in the OP. Two years undefeated.

And that's not even the point. You don't prove the existence of an argument by pretending there exists no other argument. Like I said, literally no one is suggesting UCF gets in the CFP in 2018 because of their win vs. Auburn last year. Absolutely no one. 

You're almost there...   and who did they beat?

4 minutes ago, Loco said:

You're almost there...   and who did they beat?

Again, that's not the point. I'm not sure what you feel you're accomplishing with these smart ass lines like "you're almost there" when you're playing Make Believe and Pretend about the whole subject matter that was posted in the first place.

How you derive "this is just about the Auburn game" from "An undefeated UCF for the 2nd year in a row may force the issue with re: expanding the playoffs" is mind boggling.

Edited by hpslugga
  • Like 1

Go ahead, You say ucf has an argument about being good this year, yet you post about a win streak from last year and are impplying that wins last year give this year's team credibility even though the staffs are different, the players are different... 

It's disingenuous to argue

1. ucf this year = ucf last year (despite staff changes)
  2. Aubarn this year <> Aubarn last year (with the same staff)
  3. When you say ucf is on a streak you're not talking about last year

What are the arguments for THIS year's ucf squad ???   Why should they be considered over Texas, Georgia, Michigan  ???  Try using their resume THIS year!

16 minutes ago, Loco said:

You say ucf has an argument about being good this year

What I said was that precisely 0 people are making the argument that you say they're making. You're constructing a strawman.

yet you post about a win streak from last year

Actually the OP did.

It's disingenuous to argue

1. ucf this year = ucf last year (despite staff changes)
  2. Aubarn this year <> Aubarn last year (with the same staff)
  3. When you say ucf is on a streak you're not talking about last year

No one is saying any of those things. You, on the other hand, said "It's funny that ucf's justification rests on one game last year." And I said, correctly, that's a load of horseshit.

Edited by hpslugga

I think as stadium attendance possibly continues to decline, it's very well possible that the conferences look to expand the CFP as to keep a wider scope of fans interested... Also possible that some key late season games could be "blacked out" in local areas, if attendance does not meet a certain quota (I dunno)...

College football attendance saw its biggest drop in 34 years last fall. And the SEC was not immune.

• Like 1

Conspicuously absent in this discussion is the role/ non-role of the NFL.

CFB is the farm system of the NFL w/o their financial participation.

In the mix about paying players , the NFL with their favorable tax status needs to step up and shore up their defacto farm system.

That, coupled with the incestuous and bogus “play offs” distort the issue.

the NFL is linked to CFB, and somebody needs to figure that out and start insisting on some coordinating, rather than acting as if the other does not exist, until the draft, otherwise both entities will lose out.

For the record, I do not like it watch the NFL in the last few years, but I believe both are mutually dependent.

It would help if the P5 conferences would get together and decide that none of their members would be allowed to schedule any FCS schools. There is absolutely no reason for them to schedule any and, that would open up some slots for the G5 schools. I can’t see the SEC going along with that though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It would help if the P5 conferences would get together and decide that none of their members would be allowed to schedule any FCS schools. There is absolutely no reason for them to schedule any and, that would open up some slots for the G5 schools. I can’t see the SEC going along with that though.

That, and many FCS schools depend on those buy games to fund their programs.

Sorry, but that’s not our problem. I’d be quite happy if the Big XXII passed such a rule on its own. There is absolutely no reason for any conference that expects its teams to compete for a national championship to let its members schedule FCS schools for an easy win. I’d like to see us do it and see if everyone else but the SEC followed.

4 hours ago, kopp0e said:

I think as stadium attendance possibly continues to decline, it's very well possible that the conferences look to expand the CFP as to keep a wider scope of fans interested... Also possible that some key late season games could be "blacked out" in local areas, if attendance does not meet a certain quota (I dunno)...

College football attendance saw its biggest drop in 34 years last fall. And the SEC was not immune.

That's because 12 of the 13 dwarfs have figured out what the rest of us already knew. There is only one Snow White in the SECSECSEC csrtoon.

And Mack was right.  Too much winning isn't good for the kids...  I mean fans.

It doesn't help when you play the exact same teams in your conference that you ]already own, then add cupcakes into the mix. If you do play a "somebody" it's at some random neutral side.  

It will be comical watching the dwarfs as it starts to seep into their tiny pee brains that all those years ESPN spent cock gobbling the SEC just to hype the upcoming SEC network to guarantee it would come out of the gate competing with the already established Big 10/ Fox has tainted College Football. 

The ESPN "Every Saturday is like the championship" vomit helped send many top recruits to the SEC schools, but it didn't takr long for recruits to figure out the SEC is a one elephant race and now the dwarfs are in the same boat wiith the rest of us.

If it's any consolation to the dwarfs, it was supposed to have been Florida, but their golden child blew it with the alligator tears after beating mighty Cinci. No matter how much they loved the Tebow pecker, the weeping was a bit too much. Tebows emotional victory sobs over a hyped cupcake gift was a bit too much for even ESPN.

Bama's big win, and Colt choking down tears that no one would have held against him if they got the better of him, had that Elephant cock looking really inviting... ESPN has been on it since.

So take your medicine, you fucks. You are the ones ESPN served shots of fermented shit while telling you how pretty midgets are, stubby legs and baby arms and a huge head are sexy and you lapped it up... If ESPN was going to swallow Bama cock, they were going to get not only their cock, but both balls and the taint sucked, while getting their asshole rimmed too...  

All the slob job of how great you are from top to bottom just to drive the up the money they could nail you for to watch programming that can only serve to point out that 13 of you are drowning in a pile of elephant dung you blindly helped ESPN create.

Once you dwarfs start dragging yourselves and each other out of the shit hole you helped dig, you will notice one of you is in teouble. Out there flailing and flopping around some will reach out and try to save their brother dwarf to no avail, there is no helping him because you cannot save he who doesn't want to be saved. While desperately clawing to get out of the septic death trap,  it's  easy to mistaken a fellow dwarf drowning with aggy having the time of their life.

Wallowing in elephant dung is much better than being treated as an equal by an inferior sip.

tu just can't admit that aggy is superior, with the best traditions, and best band, and the best mascot, and the best colors, and the best stadium, and that we make make more money, and we have the best endowment, and that our football team is better than theirs,  and that our football is just as much historic as theirs, and our football record is also as good even if we didn't win as many times as the sips, and we are one of the elite teams and they aren't. We are at least one of the top five of the super elites,  They know that JFF was better than VY, RW, and EC put together, but they are too stupid to admit it. They won't admit that our academics and superior to theirs and that our diplomas are just as good. Everybody wants to Texas A&M and not tu, and we are the flagship and not them, and the only way they ever win is by cheating while aggy never cheats. They won't admit that once aggy left the big12 that all school from the other conferences would beat all the big 12 schools if they would play them instead of just scheduling g5 teams they have to pay to let them win.

The sips won't admit they were to scared to play us in the bowl game so they refused to play in a bowl if they played us, and how they are the ones that ran from us when we left for the SECSECSEC and not us, and they aren't sec good like us.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gaffords said:

That's because 12 of the 13 dwarfs have figured out what the rest of us already knew. There is only one Snow White in the SECSECSEC csrtoon.

And Mack was right.  Too much winning isn't good for the kids...  I mean fans.

It doesn't help when you play the exact same teams in your conference that you ]already own, then add cupcakes into the mix. If you do play a "somebody" it's at some random neutral side.  

It will be comical watching the dwarfs as it starts to seep into their tiny pee brains that all those years ESPN spent cock gobbling the SEC just to hype the upcoming SEC network to guarantee it would come out of the gate competing with the already established Big 10/ Fox has tainted College Football. 

The ESPN "Every Saturday is like the championship" vomit helped send many top recruits to the SEC schools, but it didn't takr long for recruits to figure out the SEC is a one elephant race and now the dwarfs are in the same boat wiith the rest of us.

If it's any consolation to the dwarfs, it was supposed to have been Florida, but their golden child blew it with the alligator tears after beating mighty Cinci. No matter how much they loved the Tebow pecker, the weeping was a bit too much. Tebows emotional victory sobs over a hyped cupcake gift was a bit too much for even ESPN.

Bama's big win, and Colt choking down tears that no one would have held against him if they got the better of him, had that Elephant cock looking really inviting... ESPN has been on it since.

So take your medicine, you fucks. You are the ones ESPN served shots of fermented shit while telling you how pretty midgets are, stubby legs and baby arms and a huge head are sexy and you lapped it up... If ESPN was going to swallow Bama cock, they were going to get not only their cock, but both balls and the taint sucked, while getting their asshole rimmed too...  

All the slob job of how great you are from top to bottom just to drive the up the money they could nail you for to watch programming that can only serve to point out that 13 of you are drowning in a pile of elephant dung you blindly helped ESPN create.

Once you dwarfs start dragging yourselves and each other out of the shit hole you helped dig, you will notice one of you is in teouble. Out there flailing and flopping around some will reach out and try to save their brother dwarf to no avail, there is no helping him because you cannot save he who doesn't want to be saved. While desperately clawing to get out of the septic death trap,  it's  easy to mistaken a fellow dwarf drowning with aggy having the time of their life.

Wallowing in elephant dung is much better than being treated as an equal by an inferior sip.

tu just can't admit that aggy is superior, with the best traditions, and best band, and the best mascot, and the best colors, and the best stadium, and that we make make more money, and we have the best endowment, and that our football team is better than theirs,  and that our football is just as much historic as theirs, and our football record is also as good even if we didn't win as many times as the sips, and we are one of the elite teams and they aren't. We are at least one of the top five of the super elites,  They know that JFF was better than VY, RW, and EC put together, but they are too stupid to admit it. They won't admit that our academics and superior to theirs and that our diplomas are just as good. Everybody wants to Texas A&M and not tu, and we are the flagship and not them, and the only way they ever win is by cheating while aggy never cheats. They won't admit that once aggy left the big12 that all school from the other conferences would beat all the big 12 schools if they would play them instead of just scheduling g5 teams they have to pay to let them win.

The sips won't admit they were to scared to play us in the bowl game so they refused to play in a bowl if they played us, and how they are the ones that ran from us when we left for the SECSECSEC and not us, and they aren't sec good like us.

Now go get your fuckin’ shine box.

21 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Can someone tell me how many ranked teams UCF has beaten?  Out of the 20 they beat. Texas beat 3 ranked teams in 4 weeks.

How should I know? I only watch football.

The question you ask can be answered by the bad comedy writers that perpetuate this asinine presumption of legitimacy of these stupid polls.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2018 at 7:40 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

The Big 12 had a great concept with the "One True Champion" tag, but then didn't back it up when Baylor was clearly the champion, but everyone knew TCU was the better team.

Just back Baylor, and your format.  Be louder about the bullshit of the 13th data point and other conferences playing 8 games, scheduling late season cream puffs, and having good teams avoid each other.

They've done none of that.  I'm on record as saying it wouldn't matter (and I believe that), but they didn't do those easy obvious things.

That was an absolutely awful concept.

Precisely because the Big 12 Conference was the only P5 conference in which a tie for the championship could have happened--just as it did happen quite regularly in the old SWC and every other conference that played a round robin prior to the advent of realignment and divisions/championship games.

The fact that nobody involved in that marketing blunder could point out this painfully obvious fact should be surprising, but...

Also, to call Baylor "clearly" the champion is erroneous.  They had the same conference record TCU did.  Awarding them the championship based purely on head to head means that Baylor's thrashing by WVU doesn't count against them, and that's completely unfair.

Edited by Augustus

4 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Can someone tell me how many ranked teams UCF has beaten?  Out of the 20 they beat. Texas beat 3 ranked teams in 4 weeks.

Does it matter that much?  Their probably 2 season undefeated run merits inclusion.    The rankings are often rigged anyways with brand names and P5 teams getting favorable treatment.  

• Fuck You 1

Does it matter that much?  Their probably 2 season undefeated run merits inclusion.    The rankings are often rigged anyways with brand names and P5 teams getting favorable treatment.  

Yeah strength of schedule shouldn’t matter at all. In fact the final four should be Alabama, Clemson, USF and UCF. I had Cincinnati in there but they got beat by temple last weekend.

I will then put in Buffalo in place of the loser of the UCF-USF game since Buffalos’ only loss is to Army

I have trouble taking seriously the argument that you could have a team in FBS, go undefeated, win your CCG, and not be seriously considered for ‘settling it in the field’ in the postseason. Expand the playoffs, shrink the division, or go back to calling our postseason exhibitions without the pretense we have a true playoff or objective, on-the-field champion selection.

I like how the argument to not expand the playoffs is that "we want the regular season to matter!" Yes, the regular season matters. Until you're Alabama and lose to Auburn and don't even play in your CCG. Then the regular season really didn't matter and you get in the "playoff" anyway.

Unless you go undefeated in the regular season with a very difficult schedule.

On 10/9/2018 at 12:00 PM, Red Five said:

There are like 60-something teams that know before the start of every season that they can go undefeated and will have no shot at a championship. That is insane.

Fuck em.

"Sit before Congress"? wtf?

Hey, I got an idea, lets take something as fucked up as college football, and let fucking Congress solve the problem. Genius!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Fuck em.

"Sit before Congress"? wtf?

Hey, I got an idea, lets take something as fucked up as college football, and let fucking Congress solve the problem. Genius!

I'm fine with whatever it takes to effect change.   I'd rather not continue to  be stuck with this 4 team playoff and P5/G5 shitshow for the foreseeable future when we can have something even greater that would make this sport even more fun and BS-free.  

On 10/10/2018 at 7:56 AM, Huckleberry said:

It wasn't forced on them at all. That's 100% CYA bullshit.

And you don't ever erase a bad loss from the committee's minds. That's more BS that only fools would fall for. No offense.

Well you’re wrong, but at least you’re adamant and confident. Having a CCG game helps us tremendously. 

Just now, Vic Mackey said:
11 minutes ago, 903Cougar said:
Mike Leach chimes in:    

Good for him. The shit we have now is ridiculous. Every sport out there knows how to do a correct playoff except the FBS level of college football.

They know how, they just won't (for obvious reasons).  

14 hours ago, 903Cougar said:

I'm fine with whatever it takes to effect change.   I'd rather not continue to  be stuck with this 4 team playoff and P5/G5 shitshow for the foreseeable future when we can have something even greater that would make this sport even more fun and BS-free.  

Hey Schmitty

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I like how the argument to not expand the playoffs is that "we want the regular season to matter!" Yes, the regular season matters. Until you're Alabama and lose to Auburn and don't even play in your CCG. Then the regular season really didn't matter and you get in the "playoff" anyway.

Agreed, I would expect there to be upheaval in the coming years, towards an eventual 16 team playoff (if not eventually 24)...

51 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Agreed, I would expect there to be upheaval in the coming years, towards an eventual 16 team playoff (if not eventually 24)...

The practical problem with going to 10 or above is then there is increased pressure to have all conference champs. That again limits the numbers of P5 teams that can be involved in an expanded playoffs and no media rights org wants anything to do with having to pay good money to stage games with that many G5 champs. The P5 also would also likely have to split a higher percentage with the G5 if they are putting up half the 'contenders'. 8 is a good number because you can set criteria on who gets in whether you stick with some crappy eye-test committee or BCS system for all 8 choices or just try to get the P5 champs autobids and give one spot to a G5 with only two beauty contestants for the final spots. 8 games is probably worth more TV money than 10 with only conference autobids.

35 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

The practical problem with going to 10 or above is then there is increased pressure to have all conference champs. That again limits the numbers of P5 teams that can be involved in an expanded playoffs and no media rights org wants anything to do with having to pay good money to stage games with that many G5 champs. The P5 also would also likely have to split a higher percentage with the G5 if they are putting up half the 'contenders'. 8 is a good number because you can set criteria on who gets in whether you stick with some crappy eye-test committee or BCS system for all 8 choices or just try to get the P5 champs autobids and give one spot to a G5 with only two beauty contestants for the final spots. 8 games is probably worth more TV money than 10 with only conference autobids.

A lot of this may be resolved before the next possibility of playoff expansion/ conference realignment:

Player compensation lawsuit vs. NCAA could usher in new round of conference realignment

• By Dennis Dodd
  • Oct 22, 2018 • 7 min read
  • www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/player-compensation-lawsuit-vs-ncaa-could-usher-in-new-round-of-conference-realignment/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Split off the top 64 teams, pair in 4 regional leagues of 16; expand the playoffs to 24 (8 schools with a 1st round bye)... Play the 1st round at the home campus of the higher seed, followed by the 2nd round games at the nearest road sites, such as the following bowls: #1 Holiday/#2 Las Vegas/#3 Fiesta/#4 Sun/#5 Cotton/#6 Sugar/#7 Peach/#8 Citrus, the 3rd round is held at the home of the higher seed, followed by two "divisional championship games (west) Rose/ (east) Orange, the national championship at a neutral site... This combines the best of the college football playoff/ while including parts of the NFL type playoff system of games at the higher seeded stadiums... Also eliminates the excuse of students/ and fans can't make all the games, as half are home games for the higher seeds... What couldn't be more exciting during the regular season of watching teams compete for 1 of 8 first round byes, while the #9 through #24, know they will make one of the bowl games at regional "neutral site" games, then the fans, of the 1st round byes get to host the winners of the "Super8" bowl games, followed by 2 regional games, one at the Rose, the other the Orange, and the winners face off in the random selected city for the national championship...