UCF May Force The Issue

Shmitty

Big 12 having a conference championship game after playing a complete 9 game round robin schedule is so fucking stupid. Seeing Texas play OU at Jerry World in December would be a joke. Get 2 more teams in here if you want a conference championship game like all the other PT conferences. Pac 10 never had this when they had the same setup we do.

I recall arguments for a CFB playoff as far back as 1981. It took a zillion years for the apartheid dictators of college football to actually agree to 1 vs. 2. After a shitshow system that often screwed a 3rd ranked team, it took a half zillion years for the apartheid dictators to put in a 4 team playoff. At this rate, your wife's pussy hair nubs will turn the same color as your mom's long before the playoff expands to 8.   

It's also like the Electoral College [/no CR]. People who bitch about it at the moment it pisses them off forget soonafter that they were outraged.

As for UCF, how about this rookie last night?

image-from-ios-2jpg-eebc37ac738842fe.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

The Big 12 has a stupid guaranteed rematch because the conference administration has consistently done everything it can to screw itself and for no other reason. They are terrible at PR and logic and that is the real issue.

It's not that difficult to push the fact that a round robin is the best way to determine a champion and that our round robin guarantees that our two best teams play each other and that we already have 9 conference games. Then you tell the selection committee to consider the tiebreaker winner as the conference champion for selection purposes and move on. But no, they shoot themselves in the foot whenever possible.

Winning the Big 12 CCG could be what puts Texas in the playoffs this year.

I don't disagree it's stupid, but it was somewhat forced on the conference by the committee, and it creates an opportunity for a team with a bad loss to erase it with a good win, just as it creates an opportunity for a team that's already in to lose their spot.

10 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Big 12 having a conference championship game after playing a complete 9 game round robin schedule is so fucking stupid. Seeing Texas play OU at Jerry World in December would be a joke. Get 2 more teams in here if you want a conference championship game like all the other PT conferences. Pac 10 never had this when they had the same setup we do.

There also wasn't playoffs and yammering about "13th data points" when the Pac 10 had 10 teams.

The rules changed.  Having conferences where half the teams don't play and creating a 13th game that may or may not be a rematch is pretty fucking stupid too, but everyone accepts it as making sense and moves on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Big 12 needs to invite UCF and one other team and get back to 12 teams

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:
Winning the Big 12 CCG could be what puts Texas in the playoffs this year.

I don't disagree it's stupid, but it was somewhat forced on the conference by the committee, and it creates an opportunity for a team with a bad loss to erase it with a good win, just as it creates an opportunity for a team that's already in to lose their spot.

It wasn't forced on them at all. That's 100% CYA bullshit.

And you don't ever erase a bad loss from the committee's minds. That's more BS that only fools would fall for. No offense.

Edited by Huckleberry
fixing crappy tapa formatting

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It wasn't forced on them at all. That's 100% CYA bullshit.

And you don't ever erase a bad loss from the committee's minds. That's more BS that only fools would fall for. No offense.

2014 Ohio State?

If TCU had gotten into the 2014 playoff, there would be no Big 12 CCG.  I guarantee you that.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

What about 2014 Ohio State? They were seeded 4th, how do you think it erased the bad loss from their résumé? They wiped the floor with a ranked team that they hadn't played before the championship game. That was the key.

The stupid argument about "13th data point" would be easily addressed publicly with a simple statement. "Why do we need a 13th data point? All of our teams play 9 conference games and play every other conference team so it is guaranteed that our conference champion has played the other best teams in our conference. Furthermore, why are games against Samford and Mercer considered 'data points'? They shouldn't be and therefore other conferences need a conference championship game just to reach the same number of data points as our champion."

Yes, throw our conference teams who schedule FCS opponents under the bus. They deserve to be there.

As for TCU in 2014, they were our best team. But they lost the head-to-head to Baylor. Tough loss for them, but that matters. The Big 12 should have told the committee to consider Baylor as our champion.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

What about 2014 Ohio State? They were seeded 4th, how do you think it erased the bad loss from their résumé? They wiped the floor with a ranked team that they hadn't played before the championship game. That was the key.

The stupid argument about "13th data point" would be easily addressed publicly with a simple statement. "Why do we need a 13th data point? All of our teams play 9 conference games and play every other conference team so it is guaranteed that our conference champion has played the other best teams in our conference. Furthermore, why are games against Samford and Mercer considered 'data points'? They shouldn't be and therefore other conferences need a conference championship game just to reach the same number of data points as our champion."

Yes, throw our conference teams who schedule FCS opponents under the bus. They deserve to be there.

As for TCU in 2014, they were our best team. But they lost the head-to-head to Baylor. Tough loss for them, but that matters. The Big 12 should have told the committee to consider Baylor as our champion.

You really think the committee would accept that?  I think your logic is sound, I just think the committee has made abundantly clear that they don't give a single fuck.  The Big 12 shouldn't have to PR that obvious reality.  The fact that it even needs to be stated shows what a dog and pony show the whole thing is.

Ohio State erased their bad loss by getting in over either Baylor or TCU had much better losses.

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

Go home Orange, you're Bert.

How so?  If all I have to do is win my conference, I could have three non conference losses or three non conference wins and it doesn’t matter either way. So we play those games for pride?  Surely wouldn’t be playing them for a spot in the playoffs. 

They become preseason exhibitions. 

Edited by Bert Orange
  • Like 3

8 team playoff

Power 5 conference champs get auto bids. 

G5 conference (not team) with the overall highest strength of schedule will get its champ an auto bid. Use Sagarin, RPI, Huck's adjusted stats, or whatever rating system you want, just make it transparent what the rules are. This is kind of the relegation concept applied to the G5 but just for the auto bid.

The remaining 4 G5 conference champs are seeded based on their conference's SOS rating and they have 2 play in games for the last two playoff spots.

No at large selections, fuck the beauty contest shit. Notre Dame and BYU and any of you other fuckstick indi's, join a conference or GTFO.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WBT said:

So what is your position on the assertion that an expanded playoff would devalue the college football regular season?

The season is 'devalued' before it starts for 60%70% of the league.   They are already disqualified and playing for exhibition/pride/fun on the first day.

Lose a game in the first few weeks and 90% of the teams in college football are now 'playing exhibition games' because they are eliminated from the playoffs. (SEC/traditional power schools are allowed a loss...but everyone else is eliminated.  That's fair right?)

Expanded playoff would give ALL teams a chance to win a championship, thereby ADDING value to the regular season for a majority of college football schools.  And taking an early loss wouldn't automatically disqualify non-traditional power school (Like most teams in the big 12/ACC/pac12).  So that keeps a season alive and adds more value.

Expanded playoff ADDS value to the regular season games.   

Edited by Monster
  • Like 1

Here's another data point for the committee. In a group of 10 teams there are 45 possible matchups. Using this site to determine the consensus top 10 teams from each conference, here is how many of those potential matchups that each P5 conference plays this year:

Big 12 - 45
Pac-12 - 32
Big 10 - 31
SEC - 28
ACC - 27

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Agree but its a new world. The champion needs that high value opponent that weekend or it will always be the last team at each loss level and will be left out of the playoff every year when it isnt one loss better than the other conference champions. 

The opposite is also true though because its a guaranteed rematch and would put an "already in" undefeated team in danger of losing the conference's entire playoff bid by losing a rematch in the CCG.

There is a solution that mid majors would love instead. They move their CCG's to a week earlier, and our regular season champ plays the best mid major when the other P5s have their CCGs.  Winner is all but guaranteed a playoff berth.   The huge drawback is that it would severely devalue our conference brand. However, the Pac, ACC, and even B1G would have to do something to counter it since 2 seats would become locked instead of the current 1 the SEC holds. 

17 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You really think the committee would accept that?  I think your logic is sound, I just think the committee has made abundantly clear that they don't give a single fuck.

This.  The committee was an upgrade over the polls, but the only thing they've been consistent about is being quite inconsistent about the reasons they give for their choices.

Game control mattered until it didn't, a good OOC win mattered until it didn't, winning your conference mattered until it didn't.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You really think the committee would accept that?  I think your logic is sound, I just think the committee has made abundantly clear that they don't give a single fuck.  The Big 12 shouldn't have to PR that obvious reality.  The fact that it even needs to be stated shows what a dog and pony show the whole thing is.

Ohio State erased their bad loss by getting in over either Baylor or TCU had much better losses.

Yes, the committee doesn't give a fuck because the Big 12 lost the PR war. That's the entire point.

As for 2014, Ohio State's loss was the same as Baylor's. As I mentioned before, the thing about their blowout over Wisconsin was that they hadn't played Wisconsin before. A guaranteed rematch, which the Big 12 has, doesn't do shit for 2014 Ohio State in that situation because they certainly aren't avenging a non-conference loss in that game. They did not erase their bad loss no matter how many times you say it.

Not that I think this happens (I see Texas finishing 9-3), but if Texas runs the table do you think that beating West Virginia a second time erases the loss to Maryland? That's silly.

Edited by Huckleberry

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, the committee doesn't give a fuck because the Big 12 lost the PR war. That's the entire point.

As for 2014, Ohio State's loss was the same as Baylor's. As I mentioned before, the thing about their blowout over Wisconsin was that they hadn't played Wisconsin before. A guaranteed rematch, which the Big 12 has, doesn't do shit for 2014 Ohio State in that situation because they certainly aren't avenging a non-conference loss in that game. They did not erase their bad loss no matter how many times you say it.

We just disagree on why the committee doesn't care.  I think it doesn't care because it's composition is skewed more towards SEC and Big 10 ties. There was no chance for the Big 12 to win the PR war.  That doesn't make their decision making regarding TCU/Baylor or the CCG any less idiotic, just that it's a bit of a moot point.

I suppose the good news in this for Texas is that you have the kind of brand that I'd think they'll be willing to bend their logic to bring into the fold.  Texas getting into the playoffs after a decade in the wilderness would be massive for ratings.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That doesn't make their decision making regarding TCU/Baylor or the CCG any less idiotic, just that it's a bit of a moot point..

Not really. How can you expect the CFP to take the Big 12 seriously when the Big 12 doesn't even take itself seriously?

• Like 1

I don't see how the Big 12 was going to win the PR war. The most powerful media, especially ESPN, is in cahoots with the SEC and Big 10, both '13 game' conferences. The committee is basically a collection of members that represent the P5. The Big 12 has minority representation there and every other member represents a '13 game' conference champ. As others have said, they will vote to protect their own fiefdoms and then build an excuse around it for public consumption and the 13th game serves that purpose very well. The Big 12 also serves the smallest footprint of fans among all the conferences.The only power wielded is by Texas and OU, which can satisfy everyone's desire for big viewership numbers to please their ultimate master ESPN, so long as the SEC and Big 10 get theirs first, of course. No Big 12 team but Texas or OU would make the playoffs with out the CCG, unless they were undefeated and even then only if the other conferences didn't have undefeated champs. I am not sure a one-loss Big 12 wouldn't get trumped by a two loss Big 10 or SEC champ depending on the teams involved. 

Edited by rickyspub
  • Like 1

The Big 12 lost the PR war because it was TCU and Baylor against Ohio State. 
Just like when Oklahoma State went against Alabama in 2011.

The committee members are dipshits like everyone else. A one-loss blue blood is always going to top a one-loss Mike Jones.
Oklahoma and Texas won't have that problem. We saw that in 2004.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

How so?  If all I have to do is win my conference, I could have three non conference losses or three non conference wins and it doesn’t matter either way. So we play those games for pride?  Surely wouldn’t be playing them for a spot in the playoffs. 

They become preseason exhibitions. 

Yes but you would have some great match ups early in the season.

They don't really matter anyway because the SEC has been playing a bunch of nobodies in three of their four non-conference games and sometimes all four of them and they have not had a problem getting into the playoffs with those kinds of schedules. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Not really. How can you expect the CFP to take the Big 12 seriously when the Big 12 doesn't even take itself seriously?

6 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

The Big 12 lost the PR war because it was TCU and Baylor against Ohio State. 
Just like when Oklahoma State went against Alabama in 2011.

The committee members are dipshits like everyone else. A one-loss blue blood is always going to top a one-loss Mike Jones.
Oklahoma and Texas won't have that problem. We saw that in 2004.

What PR mistake did the Big 12 make?  Letting two non-blue-bloods finish tied at the top?  Their mistake was not using a tiebreaker to call one the champ after advertising "one true champion"  but it would not have mattered.  Neither Baylor nor TCU even if called champ by tiebreaker would have gotten in over Ohio State.  On the flip side, if OU or Texas had tied TCU or Baylor at the top, they might have made it in though it would be a close call.  Bottom line, any system that injects voter bias is flawed.  Period.  Win your conference and you have a spot.  Like every other fucking sport.  Can you imagine an NFL where voters get to decide who makes the playoffs?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

What PR mistake did the Big 12 make?  Letting two non-blue-bloods finish tied at the top?  Their mistake was not using a tiebreaker to call one the champ after advertising "one true champion"  but it would not have mattered.  Neither Baylor nor TCU even if called champ by tiebreaker would have gotten in over Ohio State.  On the flip side, if OU or Texas had tied TCU or Baylor at the top, they might have made it in though it would be a close call.  Bottom line, any system that injects voter bias is flawed.  Period.  Win your conference and you have a spot.  Like every other fucking sport.  Can you imagine an NFL where voters get to decide who makes the playoffs?

You want a list? The multiple blunders by the conference office have been discussed for the last couple of pages in here.

And yes, the conference absolutely should have been on every national show possible in 2011 supporting Oklahoma State. That's another blunder.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

I don't see how the Big 12 was going to win the PR war. The most powerful media, especially ESPN, is in cahoots with the SEC and Big 10, both '13 game' conferences. The committee is basically a collection of members that represent the P5. The Big 12 has minority representation there and every other member represents a '13 game' conference champ. As others have said, they will vote to protect their own fiefdoms and then build an excuse around it for public consumption and the 13th game serves that purpose very well. The Big 12 also serves the smallest footprint of fans among all the conferences.The only power wielded is by Texas and OU, which can satisfy everyone's desire for big viewership numbers to please their ultimate master ESPN, so long as the SEC and Big 10 get theirs first, of course. No Big 12 team but Texas or OU would make the playoffs with out the CCG, unless they were undefeated and even then only if the other conferences didn't have undefeated champs. I am not sure a one-loss Big 12 wouldn't get trumped by a two loss Big 10 or SEC champ depending on the teams involved. 

Definitely depends on the teams.

1 loss Texas and OU would never get trumped by a 2 loss (last year showed that some), but 1 loss ISU or WVU?  Would depend on the 2 loss B1G or SEC, but if it's a blue blood, we'd be hosed.

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You want a list? The multiple blunders by the conference office have been discussed for the last couple of pages in here.

And yes, the conference absolutely should have been on every national show possible in 2011 supporting Oklahoma State. That's another blunder.

I don't disagree that the conference has fucked up at every turn.  But the post sounded like it was specific to the TCU-Baylor situation and I can't think of the mistake other than failing to insert a tie-breaker into the rules when then went to a 10 team round robin.  And like I said, it wouldn't have mattered.  The problem is much bigger based on biased voters.  

Just call the conference championship games the first round of the playoffs. SEC would bitch, cause they get two in frequently, but that's what the CCG should be. That leaves the G5s and independents to divvy the other three slots. Three games with the G5s champs and top independent playing each other. 

The non conference games basically become exhibition games, but that lets teams schedule without worrying about getting kicked out of contention by an OOC loss. 

The big thing to remember about the current situation is that it's a show, not a sport.  The P5s don't want G5s in the playoffs, because they don't want the competition for talent. Whatever the committee says, the point is to keep the thumb on the scale. They won't outright say it, but the team that gets higher ratings will get the nod. The "data points" are the excuse, not the reason. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The Big 12 had a great concept with the "One True Champion" tag, but then didn't back it up when Baylor was clearly the champion, but everyone knew TCU was the better team.

Just back Baylor, and your format.  Be louder about the bullshit of the 13th data point and other conferences playing 8 games, scheduling late season cream puffs, and having good teams avoid each other.

They've done none of that.  I'm on record as saying it wouldn't matter (and I believe that), but they didn't do those easy obvious things.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The Big 12 had a great concept with the "One True Champion" tag, but then didn't back it up when Baylor was clearly the champion, but everyone knew TCU was the better team.

Just back Baylor, and your format.  Be louder about the bullshit of the 13th data point and other conferences playing 8 games, scheduling late season cream puffs, and having good teams avoid each other.

They've done none of that.

They tried.  They did lobby for OKST in 2011.  They did lobby for Baylor or TCU (I agree should have just been Baylor based on tiebreaker).  They aren't very good at it, but even a strong advocate would still lose to the SEC/Big10 bias.  That's the bigger problem, in my opinion.  The "eye test" will always favor those leagues over the Big 12.  By every metric OKST had the better schedule, better wins, better overall stats than Alabama.  But they went with "the eye test" and the "better loss" metric, because it favored Bama.  Nothing would ever have persuaded the voters to put us in over mighty alabama.

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

TCU and Baylor will always lose beauty contests to the likes of OSU.  It has nothing to do with data points and everything to do with the fact that the committee was looking for any reason to vote OSU ahead.

Both post above are correct.  The excuse is not the reason.  Neither Baylor nor TCU were getting in that season because they were Baylor and TCU.  Same with OkSt.

Bama and UGA last year are the perfect contrast to that situation.

30 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I think when you add up the revenue of 15 NCAA D1 Playoff games it would absolutely rival the money generated by the Super Bowl.

Do I get to add the revenue of NFL playoff games? What about NFL regular season games that decide playoff seeding?

Take a lap. 

16 minutes ago, 'stache said:

They tried.  They did lobby for OKST in 2011.  They did lobby for Baylor or TCU (I agree should have just been Baylor based on tiebreaker).  They aren't very good at it, but even a strong advocate would still lose to the SEC/Big10 bias.  That's the bigger problem, in my opinion.  The "eye test" will always favor those leagues over the Big 12.  By every metric OKST had the better schedule, better wins, better overall stats than Alabama.  But they went with "the eye test" and the "better loss" metric, because it favored Bama.  Nothing would ever have persuaded the voters to put us in over mighty alabama.

That's all possibly true. But it doesn't mean you don't fight like hell. And right now the Big 12 should absolutely be fighting for an 8-team playoff with guaranteed slots for each P5 champion because that's the only chance the conference has of surviving long-term. If they're not doing that behind the scenes then they are exactly as stupid as we think they are. They could get a lot of support from the Pac-12 and ACC this season because there is a serious danger of the playoff being two SEC teams, Notre Dame, and a Big Ten team.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That's all possibly true. But it doesn't mean you don't fight like hell. And right now the Big 12 should absolutely be fighting for an 8-team playoff with guaranteed slots for each P5 champion because that's the only chance the conference has of surviving long-term. If they're not doing that behind the scenes then they are exactly as stupid as we think they are. They could get a lot of support from the Pac-12 and ACC this season because there is a serious danger of the playoff being two SEC teams, Notre Dame, and a Big Ten team.

Ehh.  That's exagerrated.  The Pac 12 is almost guaranteed to be shut out 2 consecutive years, and will have fewer playoff appearances than any P5 league.  Their viewership sucks, they make less money, and they're in a part of the country that doesn't care about college sports.

In any objective metric, the Big 12 is ahead of them and thus in less danger.  As long as Texas and Oklahoma don't get Nebraska Syndrome, the Big 12 is fine.  The money will be there in the next round of negotiations because these schools are located in places where people actually watch college sports.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 2

UCF may force the issue of contraction of divisions. 

Slowing attendence, schools decreasing seats, cord cutter etc etc. will cause a change in College Football in the next decade. The previous outlook was a gravy train but not so certain anymore. 

The fact is for football, the playoffs will never work for 120 teams. This isn’t basketball playing 30 game regular seasons. 

The need to split in two groups 60/60, 80/40 etc and have two playoffs. 

If you want to stagger the season a bit and have the lower division winner a guaranteed spot in the Semi-final of an 8 team playoff, that’s ok. The G5 team etc will clearly have earned their shot  

Logistics on number of teams, conference and OOC games is agreed by all participating conferences. 

The lower playoffs with bigger names will still be a huge draw in its own right. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Ehh.  That's exagerrated.  The Pac 12 is almost guaranteed to be shut out 2 consecutive years, and will have fewer playoff appearances than any P5 league.  Their viewership sucks, they make less money, and they're in a part of the country that doesn't care about college sports.

In any objective metric, the Big 12 is ahead of them and thus in less danger.  As long as Texas and Oklahoma don't get Nebraska Syndrome, the Big 12 is fine.  The money will be there in the next round of negotiations because these schools are located in places where people actually watch college sports.

You are incorrect on this. I like the Big 12 and I'm not happy about saying it, but the Big 12 is in serious danger next decade.

1 minute ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

If you can't get excited at the prospect of going back to Dallas and beating OU again it's hard for me to accept the premise that you are a fan of Texas or even college football.

If you've been to Texas-OU games at the Cotton Bowl, college football games at Jerryworld, and are excited about watching a Texas-OU game in that sterile corporate environment then it's hard for me to accept the premise that you are a fan of sports.

• Like 4

Just now, Huckleberry said:

If you've been to Texas-OU games at the Cotton Bowl, college football games at Jerryworld, and are excited about watching a Texas-OU game in that sterile corporate environment then it's hard for me to accept the premise that you are a fan of sports.

I would be excited about watching Texas beat OU in a fucking sinkhole that opened up under a garbage dump. Nobody's talking about moving the annual game to Jerryworld, There's no need to choose between the two. Beating OU twice is better than beating OU once.

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You are incorrect on this. I like the Big 12 and I'm not happy about saying it, but the Big 12 is in serious danger next decade.

Only if Texas or OU want to leave, and there doesn't seem to be much reason for either institution to do so.

If the Big 12 dies, it will be as a result of a complete and utter flip of the college football landscape like some of the ideas being posited in this thread.  It's not going to be a 2010 style carving among other leagues.  The idea that the Pac 12 is going to poach this league is ridiculous.  As is the idea of Texas or OU wanting to get in line for B1G/SEC scraps.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Only if Texas or OU want to leave, and there doesn't seem to be much reason for either institution to do so.

If the Big 12 dies, it will be as a result of a complete and utter flip of the college football landscape like some of the ideas being posited in this thread.  It's not going to be a 2010 style carving among other leagues.  The idea that the Pac 12 is going to poach this league is ridiculous.  As is the idea of Texas or OU wanting to get in line for B1G/SEC scraps.

OU wants to leave, period.

Texas will leave if OU leaves and is in the process of being convinced to leave.

That's all there is to it. I know it sucks as an Iowa State fan and maybe you are sticking to what you want to believe versus what you should believe. That's perfectly understandable. I do think it's funny that you somehow believe that Texas and OU would get any conference's scraps. Ha. Regardless, if you want the Big 12 to survive then you should make sure your administration is convincing the league office to stop being so damn stupid all the time.

Honest question: Where would TX/OU go?

Our revenue distribution is equal to the B1G PLUS we own our 3rd tier rights.

To put that in perspective KANSAS at $39.8MM is making roughly the same media revenue as Alabama at $40.4MM.

Edited by JBJ

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

OU wants to leave, period.

Texas will leave if OU leaves and is in the process of being convinced to leave.

That's all there is to it. I know it sucks as an Iowa State fan and maybe you are sticking to what you want to believe versus what you should believe. That's perfectly understandable. I do think it's funny that you somehow believe that Texas and OU would get any conference's scraps. Ha. Regardless, if you want the Big 12 to survive then you should make sure your administration is convincing the league office to stop being so damn stupid all the time.

I think the guys on Dirt Burglars want to leave, and I agree that Texas would leave without OU.  I'm just not convinced the OU administration wants that.  Both schools had multiple opportunities to bail and didn't.  They don't want to be saddled up to a crowded trough if they don't have to.

Nebraska didn't think they'd get anyone's scraps.  We all know how that worked out.  I'm not that worried about Iowa State getting left out (hypothetical viewers don't matter anymore - we have the fanbase, academics, and facilities to get in somewhere), but I see no incentive for Texas or OU to leave - especially OU.  They're almost guaranteed to make the playoffs with one loss and are as high profile of a program as they've ever been.  Texas is in the same boat and appears to be back on the level.  Schools that leave conferences aren't doing it because they're on top.  It's a move for more money, more security, or the belief that it will raise their profile.  Literally none of these things apply to the Big 12 heavyweights.

We've been getting beat over the head with the idea that we're going to be arbitrarily forced out into the cold for the last 10 years.  I'll believe it when I see it, and if/when it happens, I'll move on from college sports altogether.  But the factors that drove the changes in 2010-2011 just aren't here.  The Big 12 is well compensated, and it's blue blood programs aren't being denied playoff opportunities or hurting on the recruiting trail due to their affiliation with the league.  In 2010 you had the league miles behind everyone but the Big East financially, and you had two butthurt programs thinking they could raise their profile in Aggy/Nebraska, one program looking for security (CU), and another who didn't know what the hell they were doing but needed to save face (Mizzou).  It's just not that way today.