UCF May Force The Issue

Shmitty

UCF competing against SEC teams for recruits now, so there's that...

My final 3 schools... I wanna thank all of the coaches and the University’s for giving me a chance to continue something I love doing best on the next level. #Chargeon #Rebels #SpursUp

#English #pluralpossession

18 hours ago, TweedCap said:

Why?  Because they wouldn't bend to UF's unfair request for 2 games at UF and 1 neutral site game?  I say good for UCF to not enabling that garbage.  

If they really wanted to be seen as a national candidate to be accepted into a P5 conference then they would take anything they can get.

At this time i think they are happy with their year in and year out schedule and like have a good opportunity to go undefeated and claim a NC and complain that they are champs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Bigjohns97 said:

If they really wanted to be seen as a national candidate to be accepted into a P5 conference then they would take anything they can get.

At this time i think they are happy with their year in and year out schedule and like have a good opportunity to go undefeated and claim a NC and complain that they are champs.

What they have accomplished is moving the needle in a silly direction. People are now acting like just adding Florida to the schedule would somehow legitimize them as nationally relevant. It is bad enough the SEC gets treated like royalty for playing less P5 teams than any other conference, but now UCF deserves a pass for adding one decent P5 team to an otherwise completely shit schedule.

1 hour ago, rickyspub said:

What they have accomplished is moving the needle in a silly direction. People are now acting like just adding Florida to the schedule would somehow legitimize them as nationally relevant. It is bad enough the SEC gets treated like royalty for playing less P5 teams than any other conference, but now UCF deserves a pass for adding one decent P5 team to an otherwise completely shit schedule.

Nah, but it would have been a step in the right direction for what they are trying to accomplish.

If only there were some way to ensure that UCF (or Boise, or anyone else who isn't in the SEC) has at least a theoretical pathway to winning its NCAA division championship before the season starts. Oh yeah, the 8+ team field playoff. If only this pathway did not require UF, UT, or any other school to make special concessions they don't care to make. Oh, yeah, it doesn't. UCF would probably not win the tournament, but Cinderellas not only occasionally happen, they are pretty darn entertaining. If UCF wins its bowl, they will extend their FBS-best unbeaten streak and will have two bowl victories over the $EC in it.

I will have an interest in if UCF can pull off another "upset" vs a power 5 conference opponent...

51 mins ago - Pat Jasinksi and Titus Davis helped Central Florida to 12-0 record after going 0-12 in 2015. ... UCF veterans appreciate journey from winless to unbeaten ..... Both players say they think the team turned the corner right after the ...

36 minutes ago, TweedCap said:

They should not bow down to a request for 2 away and 1 neutral site games,  that is simply unreasonable and would screw over UCF.    And it's not like they are avoiding playing good teams.   Capitulating to P5 programs who don't even leave their own state for OOC is just plain stupid. 

That's fine but don't act like "nobody wants to play UCF" either, fact of the matter is they just walked away from an opportunity to prove everyone else wrong.

Most P5's don't.  But it's all moot as they weren't offered anyways.  You can't walk away from an opportunity that was never there to begin with.  And as an AD, you don't take 3 game arrangements with no home games, thus shafting your own fans.  

I can’t believe you are trying to use Florida’s schedule as an example they dodge playing good ooc games. Besides the tough sec schedule here are some recent games not in their division or ooc they have played.

Florida State
Miami

Colorado state
Florida state

Michigan
Florida State

Florida state
Alabama

Florida State
Alabama

OCF has the 83rd ranked schedule, try another argument

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

"Tough SEC schedule." Lulz.

Compared to UCF's conference schedule it is tough. There really isn't and shouldn't be any comparison, but because of the antiquated nature of the NCAA divisions, where one division had bowls rather than a playoff and therefore didn't really need quality control, we are stuck with the silly idea that UCF 'deserves' to get a coveted playoff spot because they could beat all of the various crap they have on their schedule.

6 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Compared to UCF's conference schedule it is tough. There really isn't and shouldn't be any comparison, but because of the antiquated nature of the NCAA divisions, where one division had bowls rather than a playoff and therefore didn't really need quality control, we are stuck with the silly idea that UCF 'deserves' to get a coveted playoff spot because they could beat all of the various crap they have on their schedule.

Agreed... The only way to remedy that is to "close ranks" on the amount of "power conference teams" in any given conference, but I digress...

13 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Agreed... The only way to remedy that is to "close ranks" on the amount of "power conference teams" in any given conference, but I digress...

I think the only rule to be in FBS is to average 15,000 in home attendance (doesn't even have to be paid attendance). 

Florida State doesn't count and those games you sited are all conference games.   Seriously, what tough P5 or G5 teams/conferences does UF schedule on a consistent basis?  

Just the last few years UCF has played/scheduled:  @ BYU in 2011, Penn State, Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh, North Carolina, Alabama, etc 

Lmao, Florida state doesn’t count, oh ok and Michigan doesn’t count because they played it in Florida? And Alabama doesn’t count even though it was a conference championship game. Blah blah blah... you’re argument is so weak it’s laughable, you’re going back to 2011 to find some spares and some of those they didn’t even play.

Fla state doesn’t count but North Carolina and Ga Tech count even though they didn’t even play them?! Lulz

11 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

I think the only rule to be in FBS is to average 15,000 in home attendance (doesn't even have to be paid attendance). 

There needs to be higher restrictions for entrance into the FBS, but the Alston case may take care of that quicker than some think this winter (February)...

13 hours ago, kopp0e said:

There needs to be higher restrictions for entrance into the FBS, but the Alston case may take care of that quicker than some think this winter (February)…

I agree. There was some talk that the cost of living stipend was going to knock off some schools, but that wasn't a deterrent. I think schools willing to pay their rosters millions of dollars are going to have to break off. It is already silly that a team like Texas can spend tens of millions on the football program, but could potentially not be part of an expanded playoffs because a spot has to be maintained for a team that won't make that sort of investment and wins by playing a schedule made up of other teams that won't make that investment. If the division remains unchanged then you will also see teams like UCF investing more on players than those in their conference, making it even easier to navigate their pathetic schedule and continually stealing a playoff spot from teams that actually have to compete with their financial peers on weekly basis.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

That doesn't prove what they think it proves. It could just as easily mean the other top 8 teams that were left out would have provided better games than the teams they put in the playoff. 

I actually agree with you, I was just posting a "counter point", the CFP should be more inclusive..! 

https://sports.yahoo.com/title-game-ticket-prices-plummeting-90-percent-college-football-worried-214530894.html

Ticket prices on the secondary market for Monday’s college football national title game are cratering – get-in prices hit $150 Tuesday on StubHub and experts say it should continue to drop. By comparison, last year’s get-in price peaked at about $1,700.

“Prices are trending lower than we have ever seen before,” SeatGeek.com’s Chris Leyden told Yahoo Sports. “Demand is down.”

And that’s just part of it. The semifinal games weren’t competitive and delivered comparatively low television ratings. About the only thing that remained steady was complaints about the selection committee.

The system was again clumsy, staging the semifinals on Dec. 29 while continuing to cede prime New Year’s Day slots to lesser games run by private bowls. Things are so rough, even normally staid power brokers are lobbying for an eight-team playoff to shake things up.

Or Maybe...and I’m just spitballing here...but maybe even Alabama and Clemson fans are tired of the same old fucking game every year. 

I know the rest of college football is definitely tired of it. 

(I’m not saying they aren’t the best teams, they are.) 

Someone on the radio today (whatever show 104.9 is running while everyone is on vacation) actually stated that an 8 team playoff was unfair to Bama and Clemson because they might lose early, and that Saban and Dabo should have input on how it's structured, if they do decide to go to it, since it most effects them. 

WTF?

I'm still for there being a place for the G5 teams or w/e you call them if the playoff goes to 8 teams. ucf obviously didn't help their case that much with their loss but how can we ignore all the other small schools who did win their bowl games against top 10 teams over the years? Utah stomped a one loss Bama team before they moved to the pac, Boise did it, tcu did it before joining and a few others did it as well. If the P5 schools want to keep them out then they should have done a better job of winning those games rather than having to use the 'weren't really trying' excuse over and over again which is bullshit. Was Georgia not trying also this year because Sugar Bowls are now beneath them? If a team doesn't play its best in a bowl game then that's just poor coaching.

Edited by Surlybastard

12 minutes ago, Surlybastard said:

I'm still for there being a place for the G5 teams or w/e you call them if the playoff goes to 8 teams. ucf obviously didn't help their case that much with their loss but how can we ignore all the other small schools who did win their bowl games against top 10 teams over the years? Utah stomped a one loss Bama team before they moved to the pac, Boise did it, tcu did it before joining and a few others did it as well. If the P5 schools want to keep them out then they should have done a better job of winning those games rather than having to use the 'weren't really trying' excuse over and over again which is bullshit. Was Georgia not trying also this year because Sugar Bowls are now beneath them? If a team doesn't play its best in a bowl game then that's just poor coaching.

UCF lost by 8 points with a QB on his 3rd start. Where the fuck is this narrative coming from that UCF didn't belong? Their hesiman finalist QB wasn't playing, and a redshirt freshman backup QB made it a close game. And for those saying LSU had X amount of defensive starters out, yeah, I hope so, because a guy that was ranked the #18th dual threat QB and #908 player overall scored 32 points on you. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

UCF lost by 8 points with a QB on his 3rd start. Where the fuck is this narrative coming from that UCF didn't belong? Their hesiman finalist QB wasn't playing, and a redshirt freshman backup QB made it a close game. And for those saying LSU had X amount of defensive starters out, yeah, I hope so, because a guy that was ranked the #18th dual threat QB and #908 player overall scored 32 points on you. 

Yeah I don't see anything in this game that suggests that UCF is underrated or got exposed. If anything it just shows me this is a dangerous program.

50 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

I guess the UGA player is poster child for needing to incentivize players to take bowl seriously because getting their asses kicked could only have happened because they weren’t motivated?  Fuck off with that. 

Was OU unmotivated when Herman’s coogs trounced them?  Or Louisville?  Or this years OU?  Herman’s teams play very well as underdogs. They need to quite making excuses for UGA. Texas was not bigger, especially along the lines, but they were better in almost every other way. 

Edited by Lhorn

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I didn't say they didn't belong. Obviously losing to a not that great lsu team doesn't help from the perspective of the national media though. Its not like it would be if they had all their players and won 45-24. Then the media would be pushing for a way to include them or some other G5 sooner rather than later.

How 2018 may have looked with 8 Team playoff

Dec. 2 Top 8 teams seeded and guaranteed selection in NY6 Bowls.  Lower tier bowls make selections

Dec. 8  Round 1 at Home of Top 4

1. 8 Central Fla. at 1 Alabama
  2. 7 Michigan at 2 Clemson
  3. 6 Ohio St. at 3 Notre Dame
  4. 5 Georgia at 4 Oklahoma

Dec. 15 Round 2 Destinations determined by NCAA bids

1. 1 Alabama vs 4 Oklahoma at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, FL
  2. 2 Clemson vs 3 Notre Dame at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, IN

Dec. 16  All bowl selections completed

Dec. 31 Peach Bowl  8 Central Florida vs 11 LSU

Jan. 1

• Cotton Bowl  7 Michigan vs 15 Texas
  • Rose Bowl     6 Ohio St. vs 9 Washington
  • Sugar Bowl    4 Oklahoma vs 10 Florida

Jan. 2  Orange Bowl  3 Notre Dame vs 5 Georgia

Jan. 3  Fiesta Bowl  1 Alabama vs 2 Clemson  *NCG rotates like it did circa 2006 keeping Rose and Sugar on NYD when not hosting

They beat LSU if he was healthy and playing in that game.  

shut the fuck up...that QB had 3 previous starts under his belt as well as a shit ton of PT through the year. we were down 9 defensive starters and playing a receiver at corner who’d never practiced on that side of the ball and we still shut them down.

if the QB is back, then give us our defense at full strength.

who fucks who then...

1 minute ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

shut the fuck up...we were down 9 defensive starters and playing a receiver at corner who’d never practiced on that side of the ball and we still shut them down.

if the QB is back, then give us our defense at full strength.

who fucks who then...

They would have smoked you guys with Milton.