Colorado Ski Thread 2018/19 Season

Napoleon

32 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

You humble bragged the Westin hotel already in a ski town in Colorado. Don't bring that, I'm poor weak shit.

Besides, apre' ski bars when they are "coming off the mountain" which really means going the bar in their Spyder ski apparel after spa time is really the best time anyway.

I used the Google Maps. 

I’ve driven by the thing before, but I’ve never even pulled into the driveway.

Hobo-Humble Brag 1: The two times I’ve stayed up in the Eagle/Vail area in 2018, I’ve stayed for FREE... at the 8 bedroom mid-mountain ski-in/ski-out house of a friend’s parents that is located inside the second gate that separates the home owners from the condo owners inside a gated community with a golf course and its own ski lift. 

Hobo-Humble Brag 2: I’ve been to NYC over 20 times, but I’ve never paid money for where I’ve slept. I have always  stayed with friends, family, or a girl I was sleeping with. In fact, I’ve only even been inside of a NY hotel once.

Anyway, Ski Resorts are mostly open along I-70 and according to basic math, Vail is open over a month earlier than it opened last year: 11/14/2018 vs 12/19/2017.

Not skiing CO this year.

Have an interior BC “Powder Highway” trip in Feb planned (Red and Whitewater, as I skied Revy and KH in 2016) and a Alta/Bird late March trip planned. 

Tough to go without skiing (grew up skiing 70+ days a year) until February but that’s how the chips are going to fall. 

10 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

How is Breck for beginners? My neighbor’s mom owns a ski in/out 5 bedroom house there and she told us we can just use it whenever. They now go up for just a few weeks throughout the year. They don’t rent it out so it’s vacant most of the time. Yes, they have fuck you money.

Great, lots of blue/ green options.

20 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

How is Breck for beginners? My neighbor’s mom owns a ski in/out 5 bedroom house there and she told us we can just use it whenever. They now go up for just a few weeks throughout the year. They don’t rent it out so it’s vacant most of the time. Yes, they have fuck you money.

Doesn’t matter, it’s ski in/out and free. You’ll have plenty of options and depending on where the house is the mountain is fairly east to navigate without getting over your head.

We’re trying to get in a trip to Copper sometime early January. It’s still one of my favorite mountains out there because it’s not covered up with people. You also have easy access to several other mountains nearby if you want something different one day.

35 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Neighbor’s mom single?

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 8:05 AM, CooterBrown said:

She's traded up financially at least twice that I know of, so for the right buyer, I'm sure she can be.

On 11/26/2018 at 8:07 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

How is she on rentals ?

Also, I have a season pass, so I wonder what that might get me...

Headed to Colorado for spring break.  Staying in Silverthorne.  Originally was planning on skiing Keystone for all 3 days, but have heard good things about Copper. My wife & I ski mainly blues & easier blacks, but it will be our 9 year olds first trip.  Which would be better for him to learn how to snowboard but also fun for us?

Headed to Colorado for spring break.  Staying in Silverthorne.  Originally was planning on skiing Keystone for all 3 days, but have heard good things about Copper. My wife & I ski mainly blues & easier blacks, but it will be our 9 year olds first trip.  Which would be better for him to learn how to snowboard but also fun for us?

Copper is a much better mountain than Keystone, imo. Either one will be great for lessons.

5 hours ago, FigurelliPwC said:

I'm not sure if there was a "Summit County" ski pass in the past that allowed you to mix and match mountains, but I do know that VAIL now owns Arapahoe Basin, Keystone, & Breckenridge, but it does not own Copper Mountain. Because of that, getting a discounted 3 Day Pass that allows access to any of the 4 Summit County mountains most probably is not an option. Just something to consider.

4 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Decided on CB over New Year. Just me and the kids. Can't wait. Any recommendations appreciated.

When I worked at CB 26 years ago, I think that my two other Dallas friends working with me ate at SLOGAR'S on either Thanksgiving night or Christmas night... and the fried chicken was good.

Other than that, try the local beer and the weed. That's about all the recs I've got.

There was a "sleigh ride dinner" on the mountain that I sold tickets to out of the info office and worked about 2 nights a week. I'm not sure if the option still exists, but the "sleigh ride" was really a flat-bed massive trailer on tank tracks with padded benches around the edge and back-to-back down the middle of the "sleigh". Each dinner guest got a blanket, because the snowcat pulling the "sleigh" (flat-bed trailer) would kick up snow that would fall on you and kind of distract you from the diesel fumes spewing out of from the snowcat's extremely loud engine. I would say that it wasn't quite as charming as we made it out to be when selling the tickets.

Also, depending on how old your kids are, there were 2 different companies running 2-4 hour snowmobile adventures that had you cruising around on a snowmobile and at least one of them, if not both, went to some lodge in the woods (across a frozen pond maybe?) where you had a lunch/bite to eat and something warm to drink, before heading back.

I could have taken a free tour with each of those companies, but I never did, so I can't give you more details. Again, that was 26 years ago, but it sounded like fun and I'm sure that if the kids are big enough to do it, they'd love it.

SUMMIT COUNTY SKI OPTIONS:

It looks like you could get various discounts here: https://www.liftopia.com/region/colorado

But I don't think that you can get one individual pass that covers Copper Mountain AND Vail's properties (Breck, Keystone, & A Basin)

Here's Vail's "EPIC PASS" offer for just Keystone & A Basin access, but it is probably more expensive than it is worth: https://www.epicpass.com/passes/keystone-a-basin-pass.aspx

When it comes to Summit County, my preference is:

1) A-Basin (not for everyone but if you're looking purely for skiing, this is it)

2) Copper Mountain (nicely divided terrain)

3) Breckenridge (favorite lift is chair 6... lots of fun to be had)

4) Keystone (Chinese Downhill on Schoolmarm) 

3 minutes ago, texasdago said:

When it comes to Summit County, my preference is:

1) A-Basin (not for everyone but if you're looking purely for skiing, this is it)

2) Copper Mountain (nicely divided terrain)

3) Breckenridge (favorite lift is chair 6... lots of fun to be had)

4) Keystone (Chinese Downhill on Schoolmarm) 

Big fan of Breck. Heading there for 4 days @ the end of January, and then again in March for a week. Windows is my favorite area. Hit Copper last year during a huge dump had a great day, just a little small.

4 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Huge dump in Breck. 4 inches overnight, 10 more inches today!!

I'm starting to get the feeling that Breckenridge's snow measurement is either: 
A) In the most perfect snow vortex in the world ...or...
B) Just down wind from a snow making machine.

VAIL CAMERA 1
Screen-Shot-2018-12-19-at-11-14-33-PM.pn

VAIL CAMERA 2
Screen-Shot-2018-12-19-at-11-14-44-PM.pn

ARAPAHOE BASIN CAMERA 

Screen-Shot-2018-12-19-at-11-15-17-PM.pn

KEYSTONE CAMERA (at about the same time as the others)

Screen-Shot-2018-12-19-at-11-19-45-PM.pn

BRECKENRIDGE CAMERA

Screen-Shot-2018-12-19-at-11-15-39-PM.pn

2 minutes ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

I’m at breck today. There’s good powder... if you can find it. Just like most powder days it is tracked almost as soon as the lifts open. I don’t know if it’s because it’s a Thursday or what but there’s a lot more people here than I expected. 

It's December 20.  Not an ordinary Thursday.  Plus, with the EPIC/IKON passes being so prevalent in Denver, a lot of people from here can chase powder at different resorts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

I’m at breck today. There’s good powder... if you can find it. Just like most powder days it is tracked almost as soon as the lifts open. I don’t know if it’s because it’s a Thursday or what but there’s a lot more people here than I expected. 

Windows my man, Windows

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

You think this is a lot of people, make sure you ski next week.

I wouldn't go to a ski resort at Christmas if it was free. The shit show of people would piss me off, and I don't like being  pissed when I ski.  The operable phrase is , who are all these people, and what the fuck are they doing in my vacation !!?

I wouldn't go to a ski resort at Christmas if it was free. The shit show of people would piss me off, and I don't like being  pissed when I ski.  The operable phrase is , who are all these people, and what the fuck are they doing in my vacation !!?
Shit, i have a house up at WP and i don't even ski that week.

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Shit, i have a house up at WP and i don't even ski that week.

It's like New Years... amateur week....  expensive, and crowed and snow is veeeeeeeeeery iffy.

Yea man. I hear ya. I just moved to Denver and I have some friends visiting for New Years that want to ski that week. It’s gonna be a shit show for sure. 

I used to go to Mammoth around New Years when I lived in California, shit was like 30 minute lines. Usually I would get a few runs in off the opening lifts then abandon ship. 

Edited by Johnny Chimpo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Yea man. I hear ya. I just moved to Denver and I have some friends visiting for New Years that want to ski that week. It’s gonna be a shit show for sure. 

I used to go to Mammoth around New Years when I lived in California, shit was like 30 minute lines. Usually I would get a few runs in off the opening lifts then abandon ship. 

In other words, you're chasing powder and want to know why others are as well?

• Haha 1