Colorado Ski Thread 2018/19 Season

Napoleon

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Fuck I’m getting old. Day one kicked my quads ass. 

Drink lots of fluids, stretch, ice both quads, take ibuprofen, and if there's an exercise bike, you should ride it at a slow speed for 30 minutes or so just to flush out the lactic acid.

Eating a banana before going to sleep to ward off a cramp in the middle of the night might also be a good idea.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 11:11 AM, Chewbacca said:

The Ditch in WP is always good.  Good margs and good food.

There's a new distillery in Fraser.  Haven't been but have heard good things.

Idlewild Distillery in WP has good cocktails.

Hideaway Park Brewery in WP makes some good beer.  You can get food from Fraser Valley Hotdog next door and bring it over since they don't serve food.  Or eat out on the patio with your drinks.  Fraser Valley Hotdog is one of my favorite places to eat up there.

Solstice in Fraser has good cocktails and probably the best food in the area.  Small and somewhat pricey, though.

Have heard good things about Tabernash Tavern but have never been.  It's also expensive.

Can't help you on Granby.  I almost never get out that way.

Granby is the last place I've been.  There is very little there.  We bought booze at the liquor store and went back to the condo.

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Drink lots of fluids, stretch, ice both quads, take ibuprofen, and if there's an exercise bike, you should ride it at a slow speed for 30 minutes or so just to flush out the lactic acid.

Eating a banana before going to sleep to ward off a cramp in the middle of the night might also be a good idea.

WATER, WATER, WATER ........... BANANA.  4 Ibuprofen in the Morning, 2-3 each night.  Oh and more water........and weed and liquor.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 10:33 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I've driven the Loveland Pass 3-4 times, including the last time I went to A-Basin.

CODOT has it currently closed due to snow.  If it snows tonight, tomorrow, and Saturday AM, I don't see why that status would change.

EDIT:  They changed it's status to open, but it looks like shit.  I'm used to driving on a snowy, icy roads.  But I'm used to doing it on the Great Plains, and not down a steep grade with deadly cliffs to my side.

JR was a Shaggy member that was living in Alma and working in Dillon. He had some interesting commute stories.

51 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Glad I left at 6.  Traffic was already heavy.  The downside was that they hadn’t plowed from the tunnel to Silverthorne.  That was harrowing.

I was just wondering about you.

It was 57F & sunny in Denver yesterday, but I don't know what it was like up passed The Divide.

Fucking pumped.  After a 3 year hiatus, we'll be hitting Crested Butte for 3 days of skiing in early March.

And the flip side of that emotion is I just had a work trip to France last week, including a day and a half in Grenoble.  I considered arriving a day early to go skiing because...well, how often do you find yourself at the base of the French Alps?  But I've been traveling a lot and was already going to be gone for a full week, so I didn't want to press my luck with the wife.  I didn't even mention it to her.  The day before I left she asked me, "are you arriving early so you can go skiing?  That would be fun."  I felt like I got kicked in the balls.

• Haha 1

Adjusted the boots and making effort to have a better form made a world of difference today. Knocking some rust off didn’t hurt either. 

My kids are getting old enough that skiing with them is such a fucking blast. I was skiing with my daughter and leading pretty aggressive (at least about as aggressive as my ass gets) and turned around to check on her half way into the run and she was right on my ass with parallel skis. I had a huge fucking grin on my face when we got back to the lift. 

• Like 1

Hadn't seen this before, but was sent a link because I have the season-long Epic Pass.

Did You Hear? Breck 2018-19 Season Extended!

After a record-breaking start to the winter season, Breckenridge Ski Resort announced plans to extend the 2018-19 ski and snowboard season into May, for the first time since the mid-90s. Now THAT'S Epic!

Then there was a link to click that took me to this...

Breckenridge Ski Resort Announces Plans to Regularly Extend Winter Seasons Through Memorial Day,

BEGINNING THIS SPRING!

JAN. 18, 2019By Alexandra Garcia

After a record-breaking start to the winter season, Breckenridge Ski Resort announced today plans to extend the 2018-19 ski and snowboard season into May, for the first time since the mid-90s. The resort will aim to remain open through Memorial Day this season as well as for future seasons, weather and conditions permitting. Paired with Keystone’s recent capital announcement to expand snowmaking operations that will position the resort to be the first to open in Colorado, together Breck and Keystone will offer one of the longest ski and snowboard seasons in the Country moving forward.

“Spring is an incredible time to ski Breck’s High Alpine and we are thrilled to extend our season this year, and beyond, and offer that terrain as long as the snow lasts,” said John Buhler, vice president and chief operating officer at Breckenridge Ski Resort. “With Breck’s notably high elevation and annual snowfall we are well-positioned to provide our passholders and other guests great spring skiing and snowboarding well into May.”

During the extended portion of the season this spring the resort plans to offer skiing and riding out of Peak 7, with access to primarily advanced- and expert-level terrain on Peak 8 in Imperial, Horseshoe and North Bowls, accessed by the Independence SuperChair, Imperial Express SuperChair and the TBar Lift while conditions allow.

Since opening early on Nov. 7, the winter 2018-19 season at Breck has included numerous highlights including historic early terrain and lift openings and record early season snowfall. Season-to-date Breck has received more than 16 feet of snow.

The resort originally announced a closing date of Sunday, April 21, but now plans to remain open through Memorial Day as long as weather and conditions permit. Plans to extend the season are subject to U.S. Forest Service approval.

http://blog.breckenridge.com/2019/01/18/breck-2018-19-season-extended/

skied today with my little guy on his season 1st day at a one-lift, 10 run, 350 ft vert place at 4K ft elevation on Mt. Hood.  What started out as me watching him in pile ups half way the rope tow ended w him straight bombing the big hill by the 7th lift up.

fresh snow, no wind, and a little sun made for a beautiful morning

846A9DF0-1816-4E99-AAC9-8D01F63BA763.jpe

• Like 2

1 hour ago, triplehorn said:

skied today with my little guy on his season 1st day at a one-lift, 10 run, 350 ft vert place at 4K ft elevation on Mt. Hood.  What started out as me watching him in pile ups half way the rope tow ended w him straight bombing the big hill by the 7th lift up.

fresh snow, no wind, and a little sun made for a beautiful morning

846A9DF0-1816-4E99-AAC9-8D01F63BA763.jpe

Good Pop, Proud Pop!

⛷️⛷️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Headed to Aspen next week.  We've been before for skiing but it has been at least 10 years.  Please help with ideas for (1) getting lift tickets for less than the bend over price on the aspen snowmass website and (2) restaurant recs for less than bend over prices on food and wine.

Yes, I know it's Aspen and have full advance knowledge that I'll spend billions on this trip with the fam.  I'm just trying to see if there's a way to help avoid some of the bending overness.

25 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

Headed to Aspen next week.  We've been before for skiing but it has been at least 10 years.  Please help with ideas for (1) getting lift tickets for less than the bend over price on the aspen snowmass website and (2) restaurant recs for less than bend over prices on food and wine.

Yes, I know it's Aspen and have full advance knowledge that I'll spend billions on this trip with the fam.  I'm just trying to see if there's a way to help avoid some of the bending overness.

You may be too late now. Go to aspen ski sites, and see if you can purchase a multi day discounted ticket.  Prepare yer Anus my man....

• Like 1

Some of the dives in Aspen might be reasonably priced for dinner. IL Poggio is a good Italian restaurant in Snowmass Village that we go to every time we are in Snowmass/Aspen. Fairly reasonable food and wine prices for the area. Assuming you are staying at a place with a kitchen, cook in a couple of nights. Nice change of pace from the $150 per person (with alcohol) restaurants in Aspen.

2 hours ago, smwhorn said:

tenor.gif?itemid=10135114

• Like 1

Foot of fresh pow yesterday at ski bowl.  It's a small $55/day place, but with 6-12hr old fresh pow, it's a got a large summit bowl with 777ft vert all around, 43% incline, cliffs, trees, and glades, that rival terrain in a sizable radius.  Even with the fresh, I was wiped out after 4 hours - didn't realize how spoiled I got with the dryness of Utah fresh at the start of the month.  Was still a great day to shred.

4F152A4E-7F36-4D9D-9966-9FB030346177.jpe

6B43811A-0167-4B8A-989C-245DE4A183E1.jpe

823A2C74-D34C-4FCE-AEF2-5B84E822231F.jpe

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BearMace said:

What's a cheap, easy trip from Dallas that will still have viable snow at the end of March? I'm trying to sell some friends on one last trip this season and they're being cheap. I snowboard if that makes any difference on recommendations. 

Cheap? Fuck that shit. Tickets have gone crazy.

rent_high_cover-845x400.jpg

3 hours ago, BearMace said:

What's a cheap, easy trip from Dallas that will still have viable snow at the end of March? I'm trying to sell some friends on one last trip this season and they're being cheap. I snowboard if that makes any difference on recommendations. 

I would use the interwebz and look up things like "Cheapt Ski Lift Tickets" and/or "Discount Ski Lift Tickets" and see what the offers are.

Also, make sure that you book in advance.

After Spring Break/start of April the prices should drop (except for Easter Weekend.)

#HappyAshWednesday

It's snowed 38" in the past four days in Aspen and I'm going there tomorrow with Mrs. Smwhorn (no pics, i'll cut you man), the female offspring (no pics, I'll fucking cut you man) and the male offspring.  The four of us have not been together since we all met in DC/Maryland for the football game last August.  

7 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

It's snowed 38" in the past four days in Aspen and I'm going there tomorrow with Mrs. Smwhorn (no pics, i'll cut you man), the female offspring (no pics, I'll fucking cut you man) and the male offspring.  The four of us have not been together since we all met in DC/Maryland for the football game last August.  

Aside from no pics of the Mrs. have a great time....

I think we're just going to drive over to New Mexico. Anybody ever snowboard Taos? I guess it's known for its steeps/expert terrain, but would it still be enjoyable if you're trying to avoid mogul fields on a snowboard? Also, while I'm sure preferable, 4WD shouldn't be a necessity for that drive from DFW, should it?

• Fuck You 2

On 3/4/2019 at 9:24 AM, smwhorn said:

Other than the poor air quality, it looks like the I-70 resorts probably have a bit of snow on the horizon. 

7529466-B-4736-444-D-8-EB1-C542-DB2-CB89

Vail got about 10" before 5:00am today, but Breckenridge did even better. (I'm going up to Beaver Creek/Bachelor's Gulch/Arrowhead this weekend with a possibility of a bit of Vail or Breckenridge on Monday if I can talk my friend into it. (He keeps his ski stuff at his family's house near Bachelor's Gulch, so he'd have to agree to bring the shit back to Denver and store it in my house if he says "Yes" to Vail or Breckenridge on Monday.)

Breckenridge from Wednesday to Thursday...

fullsizeoutput-15a.jpg

And Beaver Creek did MUCH BETTER than it normally does in the competition between I-70 resorts.

Screen-Shot-2019-03-07-at-4-55-34-AM.png

Edited by Napoleon

1 hour ago, huge said:

I’m at the Broadmoor and it dumped here today. Excited to see how Breck looks Friday and Saturday.

I have a friend at Keystone today, so I checked their snow total and they got about a foot after 5am this morning (and had a few inches when they wiped their snow table clean at that time).

I think that every resort along I-70 plus Steamboat got dumped on, but I'm not sure about Aspen, Crested Butte, and Telluride.

Colorado is having a banner year.

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I have a friend at Keystone today, so I checked their snow total and they got about a foot after 5am this morning (and had a few inches when they wiped their snow table clean at that time).

I think that every resort along I-70 plus Steamboat got dumped on, but I'm not sure about Aspen, Crested Butte, and Telluride.

Colorado is having a banner year.

The whitewater is going to be flowing this summer for sure.

We rafted part of the Arkansas last summer and the guides and the bus driver were bitching about how dry things were and the rivers were shit and the rafting and skiing industry were doomed because they would never, ever get a banner snow year again. .   They were all young folks,  and couldn't be a day over 23 and I just told them from experience with droughts in Texas, when you start talking about doom and gloom is when the worm is about to turn.   Sure enough!  

On 3/13/2019 at 9:24 PM, blacklab said:

Got a one day pass to heavenly if anyone is interested, don't think I'm going to be able to make it up there.

$75, good through Mar 31.

3 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

You still have this? Will be there later this week and might be able to skip out and ski one day.

Make it happen!

Just back from Keystone over the kids' spring break.  Great snow all around for the entire week.  The spawn (8 and 10yo) are almost to the point of being faster down most trails than me.

with the time change, the 'night' skiing at Keystone was great.  The sun was not down 'til about 7pm and it was plenty bright to see where you were going regardless of the lighting.  The lifts were never crowded at all outside of a 10am-11am window at the base gondola.  

3 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Just back from Keystone over the kids' spring break.  Great snow all around for the entire week.  The spawn (8 and 10yo) are almost to the point of being faster down most trails than me.

with the time change, the 'night' skiing at Keystone was great.  The sun was not down 'til about 7pm and it was plenty bright to see where you were going regardless of the lighting.  The lifts were never crowded at all outside of a 10am-11am window at the base gondola.  

Is there a break between the normal day skiing and when the night skiing begins?

Or do they just shut down the rest of the mountain except for the runs that are available for night skiing and so you could ski from morning straight through?

It's on my EPIC pass, so I might. check it out.

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Is there a break between the normal day skiing and when the night skiing begins?

Or do they just shut down the rest of the mountain except for the runs that are available for night skiing and so you could ski from morning straight through?

It's on my EPIC pass, so I might. check it out.

They just shut the other portions of the mountain.  You can ski continuously on those lifts/runs

4 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Get used to it.  It's only gonna get worse brah. Sitting in Breck with young Onboard, the 26 year old version. The only reason I'm faster than him this week is because he has a torn ACL so no skiing for him (pre ski tear).

4 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Get used to it.  It's only gonna get worse brah. Sitting in Breck with young Onboard, the 26 year old version. The only reason I'm faster than him this week is because he has a torn ACL so no skiing for him (pre ski tear).