2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

Fuuuuuuck, that hurt. I went straight to sleep after that. I love my teams heart. They could pack it in with a seven man roster but they fight like hell. Nice to see guys stepping up, like freshman Anei with 20. But Cam McGriff can’t disappear like that. We could/should have won this one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Fuuuuuuck, that hurt. I went straight to sleep after that. I love my teams heart. They could pack it in with a seven man roster but they fight like hell. Nice to see guys stepping up, like freshman Anei with 20. But Cam McGriff can’t disappear like that. We could/should have won this one.

I know I've said it before in this thread, but there's a lot for OSU fans to be encouraged about in a quintessential throwaway year.  You guys remind me of our team a year ago.

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

If KSU wins this league I’ll never hear the end of it. 

I really don't want KSU to win either.  We absolutely have to win in Manhattan.

My gut feeling is that we end up second to KSU, and when you go back through the long list of ISU's choking away the opportunity to win the Big 12 over the past 10 years, that loss in Hilton to KSU will be the reason we did it this year, in the face of the most vulnerable KU squad down that stretch.

The unique thing about the style of play that KSU is rolling out this year, and WVU did the last 4-5 years, is that the officials really help them.  Forget who "gets" the calls, the fact that there are so many calls really disrupts the flow of the game and doesn't let anyone get into a rhythm.  They called 7 charges in the first half of the KU v. KSU game. 18 fouls in the first half.  Add so good defense to that (20 turnovers between the teams) and the ball is just never going through the basket or being move efficiently enough to get things going.

That is a great way to win when you have guys who can keep their heads, and a great home crowd doesn't hurt, down the stretch.  KSU did that and won easily really.  If they had guys who could shoot a little then they would be a very poor man's virginia.  This is exactly how they won in the tourney last year.  It is a pretty damn good strategy when you think about it.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I really don't want KSU to win either.  We absolutely have to win in Manhattan.

My gut feeling is that we end up second to KSU, and when you go back through the long list of ISU's choking away the opportunity to win the Big 12 over the past 10 years, that loss in Hilton to KSU will be the reason we did it this year, in the face of the most vulnerable KU squad down that stretch.

Book it.  Quintessential ISU move.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We'll get to 12-6.  That won't be enough.

If KSU wins 2 of their next 3 they likely will take it, but lose 2 of 3 and it will be tough for them to get to 13-5 as well.  I mean they lost to a shit A&M team so aren't immune from slipping up.

Checking it out:

KSU - 9 games left - 2 away games against the top 5, 4 total games against the top 5.

KU: 8 games - 1 away game against the top 5, 3 total games against the top 5.

Baylor: 8 games - 4 away games against the top 5, 5 total games against the top 5

ISU: 8 games - 1 away game against the top 5, 3 total games against the top 5

Tech: 8 games - 1 away game against the top 5, 3 games against the top 5.

I'd say that tech and ISU have the easiest schedules left because they don't have to come to KU like Baylor and KSU do.  Then KU, then KSU, and Baylor is going to have a brutal finish. 

The wildcard is that KSU has one more game to play than the rest of the top 5.  If that game were played right now and they lose then they are tied for the lead with ISU, a half game ahead of Baylor, and a game ahead of Tech and KU.  I don't know how the scheduling got messed up like that but they are going to have a tough stretch.  Their catch up is between now and the 23rd.

2/9 @ Baylor

2/12 @ UT

2/16 ISU

2/18 @ WVU

2/23 OSU

I wish we would get them at KU on the 18th but it wasn't meant to be.

I never thought I'd say that the league is going to have to step up to keep KSU from running away with the crown.

Edited by Jhawk

16 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Jesus, Al, enough with the Lou Holtz routine.

Do you really think ISU will win?  History indicates we'll be in the mix, but have that extra bad loss that keeps us from the conference championship.  It's not a routine - it's lamenting a historical likelihood.

15 minutes ago, Skipper said:

If KSU wins 2 of their next 3 they likely will take it, but lose 2 of 3 and it will be tough for them to get to 13-5 as well.  I mean they lost to a shit A&M team so aren't immune from slipping up.

Agreed, but I don't think they'll drop 2 of the next 3.  They'll beat us in Manhattan to make up for the loss in Waco.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Do you really think ISU will win?  History indicates we'll be in the mix, but have that extra bad loss that keeps us from the conference championship.  It's not a routine - it's lamenting a historical likelihood.

You're currently in sole possession of second place, a mere half-game from a tie for first. There are eight teams below you, three of which are all but eliminated, with two more on the outside looking in.

In other words, it could be a lot worse, so enough with the whining.

38 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

You're currently in sole possession of second place, a mere half-game from a tie for first. There are eight teams below you, three of which are all but eliminated, with two more on the outside looking in.

In other words, it could be a lot worse, so enough with the whining.

I’ll take that.

This season has exceeded expectations.  I need to remember that.

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't feel comfortable saying the streak is over, but holy fuck is Kansas trying to make it happen.

Kansas is dead if Vick is out for a long stretch. Kansas already has issues in terms of shooting and Vick is their best shooter. 

Honestly, Kansas is lucky Vick returned after Self pretty much ran him out of the program. Vick carried them during non-conference at times. They would have lost 3 or 4 more games in non-conference without Vick. 

Edited by texasstrong12