2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Lol, I had forgotten that Tech and OSU fans enjoy arguing over who invented that loser ass hand signal. As if it took some stoke of genius to connect the dots of having a mascot who brandishes a weapon and thinking to use a finger gun to represent that. 

No, the funny thing is that OSU fans had to watch Tech people do it before they "got the idea".

11 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Well, obviously Tech fans do.

you postin about it too.

Yeah, in the grand scheme of things, WGAF?  It's a rivalrous ruse that works...

enjoy the offseason.

Edited by slorch

5 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

In other news, Beard named Big 12 coach of the year and J Culver Big 12 player of the year by the league.

3 Seniors on the "all-Newcomer team".  LOlz.

16 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

There is so much butthurt on phog about Lawson not winning POY

yeah.  KU players always getting overlooked...

EDIT: actually my take on the Phog posters is that they are pretty cool with the choices.  A couple people spouted off, but the other posters used examples in the past of why it was a reasonable pick with Culver over Lawson.

Edited by slorch

19 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

There is so much butthurt on phog about Lawson not winning POY

I wouldnt put too much stock into it. Phog turned into a cesspool a while back.

Lawson had a claim  but Culver's team won the conference and he has just as good a claim.

• Like 2

Anyone got KC predictions?

I've got the winner of us/Baylor beating a Wade-less KSU and playing KU, who gets the home court nudge in a fucking EPIC game against Tech for the final.

Obviously KC bar owners will be rooting lustily for ISU, but Baylor is such a fucking tough match up for us.  If we give them the same effort we gave Tech on Saturday we can win that game, but if we don't, even the drunken horde of ISU fans won't be enough to propel us past the rapists.

Wouldn't mind seeing Tech cut down the nuts, but they'll essentially have a road game on their hands in the semis.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

KU has been awful in true road games this year but actually are undefeated in neutral site games. That being said, all those neutral site games had Doke and Vick in them.

I am unsure how this is going to go. Texas beat us soundly in their house and gave us a game at Allen so, if we manage to get past them and have to play Tech in the semi's that is also another "well shit I dont know how its going to go" as both teams kicked each others ass on their home floors.

If Wade isn't playing in the Conf tournament I can see KSU going out in the Semi's. If he is playing I don't see anyone stopping them until the finals.

4 minutes ago, 76Jayhawk said:

KU has been awful in true road games this year but actually are undefeated in neutral site games. That being said, all those neutral site games had Doke and Vick in them.

I am unsure how this is going to go. Texas beat us soundly in their house and gave us a game at Allen so, if we manage to get past them and have to play Tech in the semi's that is also another "well shit I dont know how its going to go" as both teams kicked each others ass on their home floors.

If Wade isn't playing in the Conf tournament I can see KSU going out in the Semi's. If he is playing I don't see anyone stopping them until the finals.

Pretty spot on.  

42 minutes ago, 76Jayhawk said:

Yeah, I don't see us or Baylor beating KSU full strength.  I was just under the impression they could be pretty short handed, and as banged up as he's been, got the impression that he might not even be ready for the Dance.

2 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Championship Game Records

Iowa State 4-0

Kansas 11-2

Oklahoma State 2-1

Oklahoma 3-2

Mizzou 2-2

Texas Tech 0-1

Kansas State 0-2

West Virginia 0-3

Baylor 0-3

Texas 0-6

That's ugly for sure, but Big 12 regular season >>> Big 12 tourney. No conference titles since '07-'08 and just two top-3 finishes since then bothers me much, much more.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Tech basketball recruiting heating up. I like it.

Beard doing a nice job.  6 four stars in last 2 years.  Don't know about anyone else, but fwiw Rivals has the class as the conference's best and that includes the zero star Russian.  Nice get today.

To accurately express the significance of Texas Tech landing four, four-star recruits in one class, consider that in the five classes prior to Chris Beard's arrival as head coach in 2016, the Red Raiders signed zero four-star recruits.

8 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, I don't see us or Baylor beating KSU full strength.  I was just under the impression they could be pretty short handed, and as banged up as he's been, got the impression that he might not even be ready for the Dance.

You've probably got 5 or 6 guys who can put up 20 in any given game, just depends on who's got the hot hand. It makes it hard to defend y'all. Per Coach Drew at this mornings press briefing before they left town for KC Makai Mason is day to day with the bad hoof. He may play, he may not. If he's healthy it could be a game where he puts up 40 like he did against TCU. Without him I don't give the Bears much of a chance. They're just too young still.  I think next year could be special if the big guy Clark comes back healthy but that's not going to help this year. They're in the tourney but a first round exit seems like their destiny. Good luck.

• Like 1

You've probably got 5 or 6 guys who can put up 20 in any given game, just depends on who's got the hot hand. It makes it hard to defend y'all. Per Coach Drew at this mornings press briefing before they left town for KC Makai Mason is day to day with the bad hoof. He may play, he may not. If he's healthy it could be a game where he puts up 40 like he did against TCU. Without him I don't give the Bears much of a chance. They're just too young still.  I think next year could be special if the big guy Clark comes back healthy but that's not going to help this year. They're in the tourney but a first round exit seems like their destiny. Good luck.

Thanks. Our issues with Baylor really come down to effort and focus. Those are things that are a lot more correctable than lacking talent, but at the same time, if we haven’t ironed that yet, I shouldn’t expect a big change.

Either way, this tournament is fun. If our recent struggles continue, it would be cool to see someone new win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Thanks. Our issues with Baylor really come down to effort and focus. Those are things that are a lot more correctable than lacking talent, but at the same time, if we haven’t ironed that yet, I shouldn’t expect a big change.

Either way, this tournament is fun. If our recent struggles continue, it would be cool to see someone new win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyclones have at least had that experience (winning the tourney). Can't say that for BU and I don't think this is the year.

ETA: JMo radio tells me that the Lady Cyclones are hanging tough in OKC.

Edited by El Diablo

So the Big XII is still in the running to have 8 berths in the NCAAT.

Yet the co-champions of the league are slated as a 3 and a 4 seed.  The 3rd place team is a 4 seed.

So the Big XII gets recognition for being competitive as hell with 8 spots, but the winners of said dogfight get just about the lowest seed of any major champion.

Makes perfect sense.

Actually i am very cool with Tech being the 3 in the Midwest.  The seeding is all kinds of fucked up though... and maybe Linardi is just loco.

On 3/11/2019 at 3:06 PM, Jhawk said:

Anyone going to the P&L?  I'm headed up to KC tomorrow evening and will sporadically be around P&L Thursday and most of Friday.  Willing to buy a few rounds if anyone is in the area.

I'll be at Johnny's most of the day with my KU buddies. I'll probably be the only one in there in orange 

So Mason's a "game time decision".  Which means he's going to play, score 30, and we're going 0-3 against Baylor.

Even if he doesn't play against KSU, without Wade, I'd give Baylor a good chance to get to the final.

Baylor vs Tech:  a KC bar owner's nightmare.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

markmaybj_medium.gif

What part of that prediction is unreasonably negative?  He's already scored 25 in a game on us and we've lost twice.  He's their X factor, especially when you consider how well they rebound on offense and the closeness of the two games.

This is a perfectly reasonable prediction.  Miles from the reverse jinx craziness I posted earlier in the season, that, mind you, often ended up being true.  ISU was run out of the gym by the worst team in the league just 7 days ago.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

What part of that prediction is unreasonably negative?  He's already scored 25 in a game on us and we've lost twice.  He's their X factor, especially when you consider how well they rebound on offense and the closeness of the two games.

This is a perfectly reasonable prediction.  Miles from the reverse jinx craziness I posted earlier in the season, that, mind you, often ended up being true.  ISU was run out of the gym by the worst team in the league just 7 days ago.

I'll be interested to see if ISU gets their shit back together. Whatever happened to the team cohesion will be tested and regardless will reflect on the HC. I'm beginning to think that with the exception of TTech this has been a down year for the league. Outside of the Red Raiders nobody really jumps out to me as being a deep run in the tourney type team though Texas may surprise some. JMHO.

23 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

As stated a few days ago, it's not so much about the negativity ... it's that this is a Texas board and we just don't give a shit about ISU enough to be interested in the never-ending series of complaints about the state of the Cyclones basketball team.

• Like 1