The Next Speaker of the House

MixtyMotions

10 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Dude, just no. I can fully explain why I dislike  Trump solely on the behavior I witness from him live. That’s not propaganda. 

I said 0.01%. :) 

I just do not see as many thoughtful discussions as I would like, which is one reason I really do not engage in political discussions as much as I used to - too much hate and intolerance for any diverse points of view. I can separate "likability" and "effectiveness," but I realize for many those are the same.

Edited by Kyle
  • Like 1

On the OP, no question historically Democrats have a much better track record running the House than the Republicans. The closest the GOP ever got was Gingrich, and sort of like Pelosi the external brand was bad while the internal machinations were there. My guess is Pelosi is an extremely effective internal leader even if she comes across externally as a nitwit.

On 11/7/2018 at 11:17 AM, clapclapclap said:

I don't know the context of this tweet but it is true that the Speaker of the House can be anyone.  The Constitution doesn't set a requirement of being an elected member of the House.  

But that doesn't mean its a good idea to elect someone that isn't in the House especially Hillary.

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I think he’s ineligible for the same reason he couldn’t be someone’s VP.

The courts might have to settle that one though with the line of succession problem

22:

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of President more than once. 

It's not an election, so I don't think it would be an issue if he ended up in the Presidency via succession. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dutchrudder said:

22:

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of President more than once. 

It's not an election, so I don't think it would be an issue if he ended up in the Presidency via succession. 

Quit giving Trumpkins ideas.

6 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

22:

Terminally Ill Guy/Obama 2020

(Different) Terminally Ill Guy/Obama 2024

(Different Different) Terminally Ill Guy/Obama 2028

Let's go!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Terminally Ill Guy/Obama 2020

(Different) Terminally Ill Guy/Obama 2024

(Different Different) Terminally Ill Guy/Obama 2028

Let's go!

I thought you didn't like Obama that much and he was far from your ideal

35 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I think he’s ineligible for the same reason he couldn’t be someone’s VP.

The courts might have to settle that one though with the line of succession problem

Damn if you don't get more stupid every day.  You don't think, you just post/paste shit all over the place without any semblance of thought or understanding.  Are you going to say the speaker also has to be born here in the country and also fulfill every other Pres requirement?  How about 4th in line?  Maybe 5th too?   Maybe if you tried listening/reading instead of speaking/posting you would learn something you fucking undermedicated loon.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Whitman said:

Damn if you don't get more stupid every day.  You don't think, you just post/paste shit all over the place without any semblance of thought or understanding.  Are you going to say the speaker also has to be born here in the country and also fulfill every other Pres requirement?  How about 4th in line?  Maybe 5th too?   Maybe if you tried listening/reading instead of speaking/posting you would learn something you fucking undermedicated loon.

Are you ok? 

On 11/7/2018 at 5:03 PM, Jiggy-Z said:

Additionally, if Trump and Pence are implicated and are removed, the notion of a placeholder President Pelosi will not sit well.

I was hoping Hillary would run for a lay-up D seat somewhere and be named Speaker just before Trump and Pence got bounced.

The "Hillary will never be President" thread would be fucking glorious.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't know the context of this tweet but it is true that the Speaker of the House can be anyone.  The Constitution doesn't set a requirement of being an elected member of the House.  

But that doesn't mean its a good idea to elect someone that isn't in the House especially Hillary.

Yeah but dotard tears... worth it.

2 hours ago, Whitman said:

Hugo is on my team but he still pisses me off with his non stop twitter this, FB that, instagram this, blah blah fucking blah.  I hate your team but I will give you ups for this post.

Fucker.

25 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I spent the last two hour listening to a 91 year old WWII veteran that lives down the street from me.  It was cool hearing all the shit he’s seen and his thoughts on the current political climate. 

That was all a diversion so his 93-year-old brother could bust into your house.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

While I would agree that the Constitution does not explicitly state the Speaker must be a member, it's pretty heavily implied. It was so obvious to all involved that the Speaker be a member that I don't think it crossed anyone's minds that it would actually need to be said.

The office was derived from the House of Commons, which had been presided over by a Speaker of the House for 400 or so years by then and who had always been a member, as well as the Virginia House of Burgesses and then House of Delegates, which had speakers whom had always been elected members.

The first Congress, of which the author of Article I, Section 5 was a member, adopted rules that clearly assumed the Speaker to be a member as they lay out situations in which the speaker would or would not vote, a power only held by House members.

• Like 1

A reaction from the Q team to Gym Jordan not winning minority leader
Dr_o9vbVAAAM4PI?format=jpg&name=small

“Destroying evidence with weapons from space “

“I’m trying to use logic”

(Try harder)

“POTUS has confirmed Q but reality hasn’t”

(POTUS has “confirmed” a whole ton of bullshittery that’s not reality. Y’all ain’t special.)

These fuckburgers are a truly special breed of bugfuckery.

13 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I spent the last two hour listening to a 91 year old WWII veteran that lives down the street from me.  It was cool hearing all the shit he’s seen and his thoughts on the current political climate. 

What did he think it was like defending Stalingrad ?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

What did he think it was like defending Stalingrad ?

He’s made several trips to Germany since the war and one of his takeaways was how clean it was since the war.  

He also noted how dilapidated the Soviet side of Germany was compared to the western side.