Surly kids applying / attending UT

Longhorn94

On 5/14/2024 at 8:51 AM, jimmyjazz said:

If you want to practice at a top law firm?  I be surprised if a JD from Texas or Northwestern or UCLA, etc. would be a hindrance.

Traditionally, top firms interview on campus at the top ~15 law schools. They will hire from one of the elite schools without knowing grades. A candidate from somewhere like UT that is in that traditional top 15 group but not "elite" will need a decent GPA. Students from schools outside the top ~15 schools can still get jobs at top firms (typically in the city nearest the law school) if they are near the top of their class.  

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Only been through Muleshoe a handful of times, on the way to New Mexico, and every time we drove through a literal cloud of particalized manure.

Smells like money.

I lived northeast of town and I never got the stench.  My wife lived west of town and it would sometimes get bad. But they also had a big variety of animals (cows, pigs, sheep, goats, chickens) and so it never exactly smelled like a hospital anyway.

I did enjoy being so close to New Mexico.  The mountains were less than 3 hours away if you drove fast.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Smells like money.

I lived northeast of town and I never got the stench.  My wife lived west of town and it would sometimes get bad. But they also had a big variety of animals (cows, pigs, sheep, goats, chickens) and so it never exactly smelled like a hospital anyway.

I did enjoy being so close to New Mexico.  The mountains were less than 3 hours away if you drove fast.

I'll be honest I can't imagine growing up out there... but I can see the benefit of wasting as much time as possible traveling out to Taos.

In high school, the ability to get in your car, get your girlfriend and find a turn-row out in the country, where you have zero risk of being disturbed by anyone, and where the stars stretch to the horizon... well, that is a pretty fun Friday night.  But I suppose the same could be many small towns.  

I guess that is a topic for another thread.

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

find a turn-row out in the country

I grew up on the mean streets of the Lake Highlands area in Dallas, so I have no idea what that means.

We had the piers, and boat docks of White Rock Lake.

A turn-row is a strip of land / dirt road at the edge of a field where the tractor turns around. It is off the main road and sometimes has trees around it.  Since it is away from any road (and at night), the odds of anyone driving on it are basically zero.

image.thumb.png.7f0d65fd3addad75198dff4e1170bb96.png

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, HookEm said:

A turn-row is a strip of land / dirt road at the edge of a field where the tractor turns around. It is off the main road and sometimes has trees around it.  Since it is away from any road (and at night), the odds of anyone driving on it are basically zero.

image.thumb.png.7f0d65fd3addad75198dff4e1170bb96.png

Something tells me that's not "an example", but rather THE example.

• Haha 1