TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

Spankytoes

11 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Flying StarAlliance internationally out of IAH D-terminal whats the easiest lounge to use.  I think United operates clubs out of C1/33 and E11/12.  Which one is easiest to get to.  Been a while since I done it but I remember C is walkable (no train/shuttle), but also requires separate security clearance because of intl <--> domestic.  Its for my folks ticketed on LH-J

LH doesn’t have a lounge there?

United have a Polaris?

Does star have a lookup tool like oneworld for lounges by airport and their access requirements?

On 3/11/2022 at 9:10 AM, PilotsError said:

Flight attendant's union was pushing of the extension hard.  Plus, it's one of the ways the .gov can still exert power over us.

There HAS to be a point soon where we all put aside our political, racial, economic differences and unite to simply refuse by the millions to wear masks on flights...right?  Feels like it should be coming.  

The FAs on my SWA flight yesterday were AGAINST masks.

FA starts with the normal speech:  "Masks mandate still in place.  I know, everyone is tired of these things...ESPECIALLY us since we have to wear them 8-10 hrs a day, but we have to do it". 

Kind of surprised me.  Pilot even made smart ass comment about them, too.

Luckily it was a short flight from Corpus to Hobby.  The FAs never got up during the flight so I had mine down on my chin the whole flight.

Oh...and an AMEX Business Platinum deal.  If you know about AMEX, their deal is that you can only get a bonus once in your lifetime for any card.

However, apparently, several offers have come out recently without that language. I saw I had one in my account:  150K pts for $15K spend/3 mo plus 10K pts if a AU spends $1K in the first 3 mo.  So, 160K pts for $16K spend.

And, since the AMEX MR pts are supposedly worth $0.02/each, that's $3200 worth of points for the $695 annual fee (also has the $200 travel credit to offset that cost).

Now...I currently have the AMEX Bus Plat.  But, after reading some stuff, it appears you CAN get the bonus.

So, I applied and was approved immediately.  I now have TWO AMEX Bus Plat cards.  I'll cancel one after the first year but still have all those points.

Luckily, I've got some business expenses coming up that needed to be taken care of, so I should easily hit that $16K spend...

On 3/10/2022 at 11:28 AM, Chewbacca said:

Flying direct internationally is tough through Denver, especially when you're paying with points.

I was taken by surprise at how shitty Denver airport is, both as an airport and especially for int'l flights. Seems like repositioning flights to JFK or DFW (or LAX and SEA) are the best options but maybe you've found other decent choices?

4 hours ago, Chopper said:

I was taken by surprise at how shitty Denver airport is, both as an airport and especially for int'l flights. Seems like repositioning flights to JFK or DFW (or LAX and SEA) are the best options but maybe you've found other decent choices?

Hows that?

Unless its changed significantly, its amongst the best in America. Also goes direct to Tokyo and Germany, which are good gateways for those 2 respective continents. 

The airport itself is fantastic for getting in and out. Not so much for international flights.

On 3/11/2022 at 6:49 AM, VABuckeye said:

The rules change in February of 2023.  No more free guests.  Only the platinum card carriers get in free.  Each guest (family member aged 2-17) that doesn't have a card has to pay a $50 fee.  You'll also have to enter the lounge within a 3 hour window of your flight takeoff.  The 3 hour window rule does not apply to connecting flights.

Centurion Lounge Guide

Ugh, this might be what has me finally cancel my Platinum card. I've already had a tough time utilizing anything but the Uber credit.

Wife booked a flight last night from Denver to Edinburgh the week of Thanksgiving.  It's a BA flight from DIA to LHR and then from LHR to Edinburgh.  Trying to figure out if the plane has the upgraded Club Suite or if it's the old BA business class seats.  The old seats look terrible, especially for taller people, where the newer ones look nice.  Anyone know how we would confirm which configuration the plane has?  It's a 787-9 and it sounds like those are in the middle of being refurbished, so some will have new and some old.  

35 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Seat guru.

Interesting.  We booked the flight through Chase to use our points to pay for the ticket.  Chase says the flight is a 787-9.  For some reason this is a co-branded flight with AA and BA (no idea why, but I don't really care).  AA says it's a 787-9.  but when you go to the BA site to select seats, BA says it's a 787-10, which is also what Seat Guru says.  All of BA's 787-10s have the new Club Suites, so that's good.

Oh, and a big fuck you to BA that we have to pay to select our seats for each leg of the flight.  Holy nickel and dime, Batman.

What is the lounge situation at Heathrow?  We have a ~4 hour layover and are flying BA, so we can use that lounge, or I have an Amex Platinum, so we can go to the Centurion Lounge.  There are 4 of us traveling, so I assume I would need to pay for one guest?  Is that right?  This will be prior to the rule change in Feb 2023.  Which lounge is the better one?

I also have Priority Pass through my CSR, but I assume that will be shittier than either BA or Centurion.

Edited by Chewbacca

The first thing you have to do at Heathrow is go through their customs and then check back in to the restricted area for your next flight.  At least that's what happened the last time we had a layover there.  It's a PITA and you need to be up to speed on what is and isn't allowed to go through their TSA (or whatever it's called) line.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

What is the lounge situation at Heathrow?  We have a ~4 hour layover and are flying BA, so we can use that lounge, or I have an Amex Platinum, so we can go to the Centurion Lounge.  There are 4 of us traveling, so I assume I would need to pay for one guest?  Is that right?  This will be prior to the rule change in Feb 2023.  Which lounge is the better one?

I also have Priority Pass through my CSR, but I assume that will be shittier than either BA or Centurion.

If you’re flying Club World, you will have access to all of the BA Galleries lounges in T5. If you by chance have OneWorld Enerald status, you can access the Galleries First lounge.

1 minute ago, royiv said:

If you’re flying Club World, you will have access to all of the BA Galleries lounges in T5. If you by chance have OneWorld Enerald status, you can access the Galleries First lounge.

Wife and I are in Club Suites, our boys are in premium economy (whatever BA calls that).  So I assume we might have to pay for lounge access for them.  We do not have any status.

10 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Wife and I are in Club Suites, our boys are in premium economy (whatever BA calls that).  So I assume we might have to pay for lounge access for them.  We do not have any status.

BA doesn’t sell day passes so you will most likely have to find an alternative.

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Really?  And no lounge access for anyone who isn't in business or first?

They offer lounge access as a perk to their elite FF members and to One World elites, but don’t have a membership option like we’re accustomed to in the US. You could always try to see if they would let your minor kids in as a guest since y’all are traveling Club World. 

Just now, royiv said:

They offer lounge access as a perk to their elite FF members and to One World elites, but don’t have a membership option like we’re accustomed to in the US. You could always try to see if they would let your minor kids in as a guest since y’all are traveling Club World. 

Yeah, sounds like we either need to do that or hump it to the Centurion Lounge at Terminal 3.  

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, sounds like we either need to do that or hump it to the Centurion Lounge at Terminal 3.  

Going from T5 to T3 during a four hour layover where you have to clear immigration and go back through security would be a beating of epic proportions leaving you very little time in the lounge before you had to endure another beating going back to T5.

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

Going from T5 to T3 during a four hour layover where you have to clear immigration and go back through security would be a beating of epic proportions leaving you very little time in the lounge before you had to endure another beating going back to T5.

From what I've read, they are only 15 min apart on a bus.  Agreed on not knowing how long immigration will take, though.  If we end up only having an hour or two, odds are we'll just buy the boys some food and then go in the lounge for a bit.

On 3/19/2022 at 8:20 AM, Telegraph_it said:

Flying to FCO from IAH via EWR in a couple weeks. Anyone know if I can use the Polaris lounge in IAH? Or do I have to wait until I get to EWR? 

Yes you can use the Polaris lounge at the airports of origin, connection, and arrival on day of travel.  Assuming of course you're in business.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

From what I've read, they are only 15 min apart on a bus.  Agreed on not knowing how long immigration will take, though.  If we end up only having an hour or two, odds are we'll just buy the boys some food and then go in the lounge for a bit.

I just found a pub in the airport and got beer and fish and chips there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Has AA always been shiesty with mileage redemption awards, or is this a "feature" of their post-COVID financial situation? Award chart says 135k for J/F US-Europe AAnytime Level 2, but a few random searches showed 400k. 1.6 MILLION miles roundtrip for my wife and I??..fuck that. And I know oneworld is the value play, but the LHR passenger duty can eat a dick.

1 hour ago, SuperSport said:

Has AA always been shiesty with mileage redemption awards, or is this a "feature" of their post-COVID financial situation? Award chart says 135k for J/F US-Europe AAnytime Level 2, but a few random searches showed 400k. 1.6 MILLION miles roundtrip for my wife and I??..fuck that. And I know oneworld is the value play, but the LHR passenger duty can eat a dick.

We ended up spending just over 500k points for our roundtrip AA/BA flight from Denver-Edinburgh.  2 tickets in business.

25 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Has this thread simply become a discussion of airport lounges?

I miss getting tips on accruing and redeeming airline and hotel points. I haven’t seen many good deals in the last couple of years but maybe I don’t try hard enough.

I think the points game - as is in earning and redemption optimization - is on its last gasps. 

Peaked around 10 years ago with card churning, earning multipliers, fuel dump routing, and inane shit such as literally ordering coins from the US Mint and depositing it at banks at face value to manufacture points.  I remember playing all of those games.  But now all the airlines are profitable enough (barely) to not need to lean on their FFP, earnings restrictions have clamped down, the points deeply devalued.   Plus we probably all got more cash and less time for this shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, midtown said:

Meh. Doesn't bother me. I'll wait and see if I can pay a few bucks to upgrade. For me it doubles or triples the amount of free travel I can do

To each his own, but I'd rather not travel internationally if I have to sit in coach - it just ruins that part of the trip for me.  I can deal with it on shorter domestic trips if I absolutely have to, but I try to avoid it at all costs.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

Has this thread simply become a discussion of airport lounges?

I miss getting tips on accruing and redeeming airline and hotel points. I haven’t seen many good deals in the last couple of years but maybe I don’t try hard enough.

I posted about the AMEX Plat deal...

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

To each his own, but I'd rather not travel internationally if I have to sit in coach - it just ruins that part of the trip for me.  I can deal with it on shorter domestic trips if I absolutely have to, but I try to avoid it at all costs.

Yep. If people are willing to do some legwork there’s still value.  

Miami to Madrid.  Turn MR points into Avios at 1:1.6.  Then book on Iberia (no huge fuel surcharge like British Air) at 42500 Avios in business class off peak each way.  Round trip Miami to Madrid for 53125 Amex MR points.  That’s a good redemption and there are others out there.  Hint: Don’t fly across the pond on American carriers.  Use their partner airlines for much better value.  

15 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Yep. If people are willing to do some legwork there’s still value.  

Miami to Madrid.  Turn MR points into Avios at 1:1.6.  Then book on Iberia (no huge fuel surcharge like British Air) at 42500 Avios in business class off peak each way.  Round trip Miami to Madrid for 53125 Amex MR points.  That’s a good redemption and there are others out there.  Hint: Don’t fly across the pond on American carriers.  Use their partner airlines for much better value.  

Yep.  Unfortunately, we're still stuck on the school schedule for vacations, so hard to travel at off peak times.  Soon we'll be able to do that, though.

20 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

We ended up spending just over 500k points for our roundtrip AA/BA flight from Denver-Edinburgh.  2 tickets in business.

Yes, I understand that deals can be found, but false/misleading advertising makes me surly...if the highest cost on your redemption table for a given region pair is X miles (and labeled anytime), then you shouldn't be quoting fares at 2-3x that amount. I'm just curious if this is the way they've always operated, or if it's a temporary strategy to discourage bookings that don't generate new revenue.

Full disclosure: not a high mileage earner, honeymoon is the only trip I've ever booked on miles (DFW-MXP and ZRH-DFW, two J tickets for ~335k total).

Edited by SuperSport

20 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Yes, I understand that deals can be found, but false/misleading advertising makes me surly...if the highest cost on your redemption table for a given region pair is X miles (and labeled anytime), then you shouldn't be quoting fares at 2-3x that amount. I'm just curious if this is the way they've always operated, or if it's a temporary strategy to discourage bookings that don't generate new revenue.

Full disclosure: not a high mileage earner, honeymoon is the only trip I've ever booked on miles (DFW-MXP and ZRH-DFW, two J tickets for ~335k total).

In the past we've been able to do more off peak travel and the better deals are out there, but they are pretty firm when it comes to peak travel times in my experience.

On 3/22/2022 at 4:33 PM, SuperSport said:

AA sucks for redemptions. 

Look into crediting to BA. If you fly a handful of domestic with an intl or two in there (depends on connections), and you’re in much better shape.

Hit silver at 600 Tier Points, with 4 “BA” flights (their metal OR their codeshare) and that’s a sweet spot. 

Redemptions are better (based on distance) and more available.

Lounge access, any time, anywhere, regardless of ticket class. Including US domestic tickets. You can walk right into a flagship lounge on a coach ticket from wichita to des moines. It don’t make a shit. And if there are travel problems, the folks in there can do way more than an typical agent.