B12 CCG: Should it exist?

Magus Ossis

B12 CCG: Should it exist?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Should the B12 title game exist?

• Yes-- only because otherwise OU would already be the champion this year.
    • Yes-- I would want the game anyway.
    • No-- it is such a bad idea that OU's getting another championship would be better.
    • My ideas are too nuanced for a multiple choice poll.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/18 at 08:30 PM

The purpose is to have a marquee game for the conference champ to push them up in the rankings EOY.

So fine, add two teams and redo the division thing - pick any two.  Murray State and Northern Illinois.  Troy and ULM.  Who cares.  Just get to 2 six team divisions.  Make sure (1) Texas and OU are in different divisions and (2) Texas and OU still play in Dallas every year.

I get that it waters down the schedule per Huckleberry's points above, but we're not seeing the benefit of the stronger schedule because no one notices.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Doesn't matter about perceived strength. You enter the season knowing you have to win your division to get in the conference title game. Period. Not to mention the Big 12 teams weren't all playing the same schedules when it came to cross-division games.

Fair enough. I just feel we benefit from the current system more long term than say best regular season or substantially uneven divisions (that benefited a rival)

1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

The purpose is to have a marquee game for the conference champ to push them up in the rankings EOY.

So fine, add two teams and redo the division thing - pick any two.  Murray State and Northern Illinois.  Troy and ULM.  Who cares.  Just get to 2 six team divisions.  Make sure (1) Texas and OU are in different divisions and (2) Texas and OU still play in Dallas every year.

I get that it waters down the schedule per Huckleberry's points above, but we're not seeing the benefit of the stronger schedule because no one notices.

In an ideal scenario, we get our annual game at the Cotton Bowl, but also OU in another division. 

Ohio State is going over Oklahoma if they beat Northwestern handily no matter what Oklahoma does. Odds are this game doesn't help them anyway but instead just gives someone another loss, increasing the probability of only one Big 12 team in the NY6 bowls. If the game didn't exist then it would be a near lock that both Texas and Oklahoma make the NY6.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Ohio State is going over Oklahoma if they beat Northwestern handily no matter what Oklahoma does. Odds are this game doesn't help them anyway but instead just gives someone another loss, increasing the probability of only one Big 12 team in the NY6 bowls. If the game didn't exist then it would be a near lock that both Texas and Oklahoma make the NY6.

Well, we are playing for hardware and a chance to beat OU twice in one season. I’ll take that over a Fiesta Bowl appearance against UCF. 

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Woo hoo! Shitty NY6 bowl games in perpetuity! Nothing like getting a game that doesn't matter at the end of the year, while the 'big boys' play for the hardware that matters.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

If OU kicks the shit out of us (not happening imo)and shows some defense they'll get in because they will have kicked the shit out of the team that barely beat them and Ohio State has that ass kicking by Purdue hanging over their heads. 

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Disagree. OU wins and they are in. 

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I guess anything is possible, but it would be crazy for a team that is 4 spots behind to jump a team that just beat 2 top 15 teams away from home

19 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Northwestern is garbage and they are gonna get fuck-stomped by tPOSU. It might look like the CCG against Wisky when Barry's guys just laid down. How the fuck is NW in the Top 25?

Woo hoo! Shitty NY6 bowl games in perpetuity! Nothing like getting a game that doesn't matter at the end of the year, while the 'big boys' play for the hardware that matters.
Well, we are playing for hardware and a chance to beat OU twice in one season. I’ll take that over a Fiesta Bowl appearance against UCF. 
Good work identifying that it's slightly better for the second place team who isn't in the playoff hunt. Here's a hint: that's not what the conference should care about.

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Good work identifying that it's slightly better for the second place team who isn't in the playoff hunt. Here's a hint: that's not what the conference should care about.

What should the conference care about? Without the CCG the first place team gets left to the mercy of the committee, whose purpose is supposedly to pick the best teams, but instead makes up rules to pick teams based the conferences they represent and ESPN's financial interests. Without the CCG, a Big 12 team pretty much needs to be undefeated to ensure a spot in the playoffs. No one cares if we played 1 G5 and 11 P5 teams while Bama played 1 FCS, 2 G5s, and 10 P5 teams, we'll get trumped by them if both teams have a loss. Rinse and repeat with (at least) OSU, Michigan, PSU, Clemson, FSU, Miami, USC, Washington, Stanford, UCLA, and at this point pretty much any other SEC team not named Vanderbilt or Kentucky. Kind of like ND, another blue blood who has no room for error when it comes to the playoffs, but without the luxury of being able to schedule 7 games however you want.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Horny Bull said:

No, it should not exist. It's fucking stupid. 

I does and will continue to, so take the loss pussy. The Big 12 wants to be a factor in the playoffs. The committee is a bullshit cabal whose membership ultimately is biased towards SEC, Big 10, ACC, and Pac. If those conferences are going to risk their playoff spot with a CCG, their committee reps are going to ensure that game gets overvalued. Add in that ESPN has bigger stakes in those conferences than the Big 12 and they too will welcome pushing out a Big 12 team, especially if it won't cost them any or many eyeballs. Texas may be the most insulated from this, but then we don't get to make the conference's rules.

(Sadly, even if the playoff went to 8 and the Big 12 got an auto-bid and made the CCG unnecessary, it will still exist purely as a money grab.)

• Like 1

Add a conference-wide biweek mid season (or take Thanksgiving weekend off).

the league could also make some preseason estimates of what the best first week in December match ups could be and adjust schedules accordingly. But TX-OU doesn’t move.

I'm ok with it but I think we should drop back to 8 conference games. That extra game just guarantees 5 losses. The SEC pads their stats by only playing 8 conference games, why shouldn't we? If two teams go undefeated since they don't play that year, they still play in the champ game

I do not like OU

If it didn't exist we wouldn't be watching the Horns this weekend.
It's a bit earily like 2001 though. After Aggy in 01, sitting at 10-1, we were a lock for the sugar bowl as an at large. They blow u lost to ok Aggy and we go to the CCG, loser and get relegated to the holiday bowl.

This year, if there were no CCG or WVU hadn't lost to OSU, OU likely end up in CFP and we go to Sugar at the Big12 replacement. Instead, a play OU and while we may still 3nd up in the Sugar Bowl with a loss, they probably take WVU over a 4 loss Texas.

Still like the opportunity to play for the conference title, but sucks if we end up in the Alamo bowl.

I do not like OU

Keeps optics on the Big 12. I like having an extra game to watch and for the team to get better. Should be good for recruiting particularly for our state of the program. No one expects us to win outside of this board. It is a win/win for UT. Most years would put us in the playoff or NYs bowl. Not sure why there are so many people on here afraid to compete? Just fucking win.

Edited by Alien Octopus

Any chance OU has at making the playoffs rest in beating Texas on Saturday. If OU was resting this weekend, Ohio State would jump them by beating an average Northwestern team. The Big 12 was forced into this game because the committee's ever changing measures for determining the Top 4.

• Like 1

After the bullshit stunt the Big 12 conference pulled with regards to expansion in 2016, I'm enjoying this little train wreck that the conference brought upon itself.   Texas has nothing to lose in this game and can spoil OU's season and send Kyler home in tears for a 2nd time this season.  That alone makes it worth it.  

• Like 2

Any chance OU has at making the playoffs rest in beating Texas on Saturday. If OU was resting this weekend, Ohio State would jump them by beating an average Northwestern team. The Big 12 was forced into this game because the committee's ever changing measures for determining the Top 4.
Or you know they could just schedule some regular season games on 'championship'. OU would have done just fine inthe optics department playing OSU or WVU next weekend in a regular season game

I do not like OU

55 minutes ago, Hellraiser97 said:

Or you know they could just schedule some regular season games on 'championship'. OU would have done just fine inthe optics department playing OSU or WVU next weekend in a regular season game

I do not like OU

Yeah, the Big 12 should schedule 4 OOC games to go along with 9 conference games. Fuck the NCAA and the rest of the leagues, do what is best for the conference. 

18 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Oklahoma was widely considered a shoe-in for the playoffs headed into CCG last year. It didn't move the needle for them at all. Ohio State in particular had no chance at getting in over them due to getting smoked in Columbus, but no two loss conference champion was going to bump them. They had wins over two top 15 teams in conference, beat four other bowl eligible teams in league play, and thoroughly beat a top ten team on the road OOC. 2017 OU is the poster child for this game being unnecessary.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yep.  The only argument about Ohio State getting in last year was that it was Alabama or Ohio State for the spot.  Ohio State didn't belong in the CFP last year.  Period.