2018 Longhorns' Post-Season Achievements Thread

satyanash

Just now, Billy Pilgrim said:

Not sure who the first and second team receivers are but I have a hard time believing that there’s that many guys better than LJH.

Big 12 is packed with monster QBs and WRs year after year. When QB and WR are the strength of your team (like they are this year) we don't get much notice because we don't run a high-powered offense that lets them stuff the stat sheet like blOU does.

LJH not making even the second team is a tragedy, but I understand the Big 12 is loaded at WR this year. CJ not even receiving honorable mention might be worse.

Shack making second team is surprising. Not because he's been bad, but he missed multiple games due to injury. Cosmi deserved All-Big 12 mention.

I figured Boyd would make one of the two teams, but him being first-team underlines how shallow cornerback talent is in the league right now.

Happy for Big Charles.

Rodriguez and Vahe have been mediocre to solid, but receiving votes? That's just voters rewarding a winning Texas.

Same with Hager.

PJ Locke receiving votes is just amusing.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Big 12 is packed with monster QBs and WRs year after year. When QB and WR are the strength of your team (like they are this year) we don't get much notice because we don't run a high-powered offense that lets them stuff the stat sheet like blOU does.

LOL - you're surprised the high powered offenses that stuff stat sheets get more of these BS post season awards?  You act like Texas could run OU's high powered offense but chooses not to.  Like OU could really field an average defense but they'd rather eat assholes. 

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

LOL - you're surprised the high powered offenses that stuff stat sheets get more of these BS post season awards?  You act like Texas could run OU's high powered offense but chooses not to.  Like OU could really field an average defense but they'd rather eat assholes. 

Well, yeah. We ran Gilbert's veer-and-shoot in 2016 and Foreman won the Doak Walker Award after getting fed to the tune of 323 carries in 11 games.

Had we run a slower offense that gave him fewer carries he may not have won the award. That doesn't make him a worse player, does it? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Texas threw 411 passes this year compared to OU's 330

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Well, yeah. We ran Gilbert's veer-and-shoot in 2016 and Foreman won the Doak Walker Award after getting fed to the tune of 323 carries in 11 games.

Had we run a slower offense that gave him fewer carries he may not have won the award. That doesn't make him a worse player, does it? 

No it doesn't make him a worse player - but it likely makes him a player that wouldn't have won that award.  You're mixing up ability with actual accomplishment - these awards are for what was accomplished, not what you could do if you were in a different offense.  

Maybe if the idiot conference we're in didn't have THREE TIGHT ENDS ON THE FIRST TEAM WHICH IS JUST AS MANY AS THEY HAD WIDE RECEIVERS IN A CONFERENCE THAT LINES UP WITH THREE TIMES AS MANY WIDE RECEIVERS AS TIGHT ENDS IF NOT MORE ON AVERAGE THEN IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT.

Sorry, blacked out for a second there. But if you're going to be dumb enough to put three tight ends on the first team then why not put nine wide receivers? I mean shit, I have to think there were somewhere around three times as many wide receiver player-snaps as tight ends in this league. Definitely more than twice as many.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Maybe if the idiot conference we're in didn't have THREE TIGHT ENDS ON THE FIRST TEAM WHICH IS JUST AS MANY AS THEY HAD WIDE RECEIVERS IN A CONFERENCE THAT LINES UP WITH THREE TIMES AS MANY WIDE RECEIVERS AS TIGHT ENDS IF NOT MORE ON AVERAGE THEN IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT.

Sorry, blacked out for a second there. But if you're going to be dumb enough to put three tight ends on the first time then why not put nine wide receivers? I mean shit, I have to think there were somewhere around three times as many wide receiver player-snaps as tight ends in this league. Definitely more than twice as many.

I assume the two true tight ends were tied for the most votes. I'm not sure why we still have an "FB" position in voting.

27 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

you misspelled dicks 

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I assume the two true tight ends were tied for the most votes. I'm not sure why we still have an "FB" position in voting.

That's what happened, but it means there shouldn't be a second team tight end (or placekicker, sorry Dicker). I know, trying to get the Big 12 to apply logic is a fool's errand.

37 minutes ago, Machinator said:

LJH not making even the second team is a tragedy, but I understand the Big 12 is loaded at WR this year. CJ not even receiving honorable mention might be worse.

Shack making second team is surprising. Not because he's been bad, but he missed multiple games due to injury. Cosmi deserved All-Big 12 mention.

I figured Boyd would make one of the two teams, but him being first-team underlines how shallow cornerback talent is in the league right now.

Happy for Big Charles.

Rodriguez and Vahe have been mediocre to solid, but receiving votes? That's just voters rewarding a winning Texas.

Same with Hager.

PJ Locke receiving votes is just amusing.

Yes, Johnson getting a complete snub is absurd.

Cosmi was one of three named honorable mention for Offensive Freshman of the Year (others were Purdy and Bowman).

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, Johnson getting a complete snub is absurd.

Cosmi was one of three named honorable mention for Offensive Freshman of the Year (others were Purdy and Bowman).

Cosmi was the best OL on our team and is deserving of All-Big 12 second team at least, more so than Shack.

However, I have no idea if coaches vote by position (tackle vs IOL, tackle vs center vs guard) or not. Could be there's a glut of tackles and dearth of centers.

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Sorry, blacked out for a second there. But if you're going to be dumb enough to put three tight ends on the first team then why not put nine wide receivers? I mean shit, I have to think there were somewhere around three times as many wide receiver player-snaps as tight ends in this league. Definitely more than twice as many.

To add to this. OU's Grant Calcaterra was one of the 1st team TE's.

OU offense doesn't identify a TE, actually identifies it as the Y receiver.

Calcaterra split snaps with Lee Morris at that position

Stats: 1st team GC - 22 catches 4 Tds 340 yds / Not even HM Lee Morris 19 catches 8 TD's 426 yards

Calcaterra does look more like a TE - white, floppy hair etc. Guess that made the big difference

• Like 1