President George H. W. Bush has passed away

clapclapclap

16 minutes ago, Hate said:

I go home for lunch most days and the route takes me over some train tracks. There were cars lining the street near the tracks and it didn’t dawn on me as to why. I’m pretty surprised at how many people are already there. I saw many Veterans hiking a few hundred yards in shitty weather, some of the using their walkers.

1f444523fadbf3787535a99de1cf9093.jpg

Awesome

37 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Just went and watched the train in Navasota and lots of people were there, some from as far as Dallas.  I’ll upload pics when I get back to the office.

my sister in law took my son to navasota earlier today' pulled him out of school early, they're texting pics of us and looks like a good turnout. may try and upload some photos as well. pretty cool

1 minute ago, Lat22 said:

Vomit. Aggy playing fight song and other fake army songs while unloading the hearse. I’m sure President Bush requested it. T-shirt aggy.

No need to sully the thread with rivalry smack, just show togetherness for all involved. I respect the man’s wishes.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 10:21 AM, Hate said:

I am extremely grateful for the dignity and class shown by all of the former political opponents this morning.  There is a time and place to protest, but this is not one of them.  This has been a beautiful ceremony so far.  

Username doesn't fit???

Seriously though, you make an excellent point and a lot of us are grateful for that also,

5 minutes ago, NowThis said:

watched about 2/3 of the entire thing from day 1 to now.  I don't think anything can top this one. 

btw, what happens to the train now?  Could be a profit train from HOU to B/CS no?

I think it is to be kept at the library or something along those lines.   Can’t remember 

Was surprised by how emotional today was.  As a native Houstonian, hearing "President Bush now departs his adopted hometown for the final time" was really tough.  It meant a lot to many Houstonians that they chose to live and remain here.  Really moving to see everyone at all the crossings and bridges.  The marines standing guard at the casket inside the train car as it passed.  I was surprised at how many smiles there were inside the train, waving at us.  It must have really moved them to see so many paying respects the entire way (we were at Navasota, an hour and a half into their trip.  Plus everyone lining the freeways from the church to Spring.)

That train was a genius move, a gift to the people.  It gave so many families an event to get together at, to discuss and explain history and pass down stories over multi-generations.  I hope other presidents will make it a tradition of either a funeral train or a long road procession through lots of towns, so that many more will get to attend similar.  Thanks and farewell to one of America's Grandpa's.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 7

The train was original and very cool.  Did like.

Kind of awkward when they took the casket out of the train.  "Hail to the Chief" was played, follow by the Aggy War Hymn.  At one point, W was standing there with his hand over his heart with a look that said "WTF is this?  Why are they playing the Aggy War Hymn?"

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The train was original and very cool.  Did like.

Kind of awkward when they took the casket out of the train.  "Hail to the Chief" was played, follow by the Aggy War Hymn.  At one point, W was standing there with his hand over his heart with a look that said "WTF is this?  Why are they playing the Aggy War Hymn?"

If that’s wasn’t pre planned by him, which it might have been, that’s the most wtf moment of all time almost..  

Went out and saw the train.  Took the kids to go witness this.  It was special.  I took a video and seeing the casket and the family waving and holding up signs saying thank you was pretty moving.  Even W was smiling.

My cousin who is a retired marine and overall badass sent this to me after I sent him the video.  I think it summed it up nicely.

"Thanks for sharing. I wish so badly I could’ve been there to witness the events. People think that sports events or a lot of other things hold a great deal of weight.
In the grand scheme of things. This is what matters.
10’s of thousands of people line
d freeways,
Roads, railroads, you name it. All to pay their respects to ONE man. No controversy,
No kneeling,
No nonsense. Just patriotism
And American pride for one of the greatest human beings to ever grace this earth. You and our “Texas” family were blessed to experience such a thing."

• Like 5