2017-2018 PGA Tour

bigup2dahorns

I recall some taking head saying that “stare at the cup while putting” technique he often used early on was commonly used by instructors with a client with significant mental blocks in their putting game. I don’t recall when he went away from it, but wonder if there was a bit of pride involved in ditching it

9 hours ago, SlingeroGuitaro said:

I know Cam has gotten him this far but there has to be a way to make Jordan just the slightest bit more consistent. I'm not sure Cam has the answers for thst- he's in too deep and doesn't seem willing to change the routine. 

I agree with this without blowing up the team. People can have more than one coach.

Jordan is killing it everywhere up to the green - #2 strokes gained: tee to green, #1 proximity to hole. I'm certain Cam is a huge reason for that success. The green is where it all falls apart. It's all mental there and the only one who can fix Jordan's head is Jordan. No need to ditch Cam to do it.

18 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Jordan is killing it everywhere up to the green - #2 strokes gained: tee to green, #1 proximity to hole. I'm certain Cam is a huge reason for that success. The green is where it all falls apart. It's all mental there and the only one who can fix Jordan's head is Jordan. No need to ditch Cam to do it.

If he has the same wows 6 months from now. What would you do?

Only 1 thing on this weeks pick'em guessing game.

Tiger Woods - where does he finish
- win/top 5/top 10/top 20, top 40, makes the cut but flounders or misses the cut

FWIW here a his finishes this year (most recent first) T11, T55, T32, T5, T2, 12, MC, T23

And although Tiger is ranked 83rd in this weeks OWGR, his is one of 3 players in the top 100 who have played less than the minimum 40 (the others are Day with 39 and Cantlay with 24)
Without the 40 (minimum divisor) Tiger would have 5.74 average points, which would put him in the top 10 (I have some issue with the OWGR math doings, but this is one reason they have minimums)

21 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Is your position that he doesn’t know how to putt? That he should change it all and forget a career of elite performance on the greens?

He struggled with the yips in his year at Texas, he struggled with them in his rookie season on tour (before he began looking at the hole), and he'll struggle with them for his entire career.. it's just what it is.  He'll get the stroke back and he'll be fine for a while.. then they'll pop back up.  I wish he would go back to looking at the hole consistently though.

I’d guess that’s been an issue his entire life. There’s a reason guys switch to cross handed. Anybody that’s ever done that well knows it’s very streaky and typically guys switch again.  

I don’t buy his alignment excuse. That takes a day to fix. I’m guessing it’s a comfort issue. Sometimes when you read greens with your feet things get out of whack as well. A little bit of doubt can linger a while.

3 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Is your position that he doesn’t know how to putt? That he should change it all and forget a career of elite performance on the greens?

So i asked you a question and you turn around and ask me one. 

My belief is that he should make a coaching change. I thought before someone else who could take his game to another level, but now someone to help get his head straight. I am trying to get an opinion out of you since you have such  a dissertation with mine.

Great players make coaching changes throughout there careers in Golf and in most sports. He's no different.

4 hours ago, ckhorn said:

Great players make coaching changes throughout there careers in Golf and in most sports. He's no different.

Certainly no arguing that. I'm of the opinion that ditching Cam isn't the answer because Cam doesn't really affect the problem areas much (putting) and is doing a great deal of good in other facets (SG: Tee to Green, Proximity, GIR, continual improvement in driving distance). 

Putting is in Jordan's head or maybe it's just the yips and they'll go away or maybe it's his alignment or the downsides of a cross hand grip. Or maybe it really is that Cam has tapped out on being able to affect the mental side of the putting game of a 24 year old multi millionaire but I don't think that warrants him being dropped given all the huge improvements he's made elsewhere for Jordan's game.

I also think, as Stu alluded to above, that Jordan was far better when looking at the hole and he probably got tired of talking about it so his ego made him stop. Hope he goes back to it or winking at some hot blonde while putting instead. Anything other than looking at the ball.

Feel putters are a different animal than mechanical putters (which obv require feel). Feel putters let their eyes tell their body what to do and just do it. Mechanical putters can feel their stroke and apply their stroke to what their eyes see. Spieth is either getting caught in the middle and thinking about his stroke too much, or his eyes are deceiving him (which is why he could be complaining about alignment.) 

He has had some great performances where he switches up looking at the hole and looking at the ball when he putts. I think he makes that decision in the moment based on what he sees. He never looks at the hole anymore. I think his whole subliminal formula is off and hes searching for answers, which may not even be how all that works. 

Anyone watching this Spieth drop situation? I’m far from a rules expert, but he went thru a bunch of moves, including dropping onto the cart path and then finally hit the shot. When he did, his right foot looked to be on the cart path slightly, a rules infraction? When you take relief from a cart path, you just take complete relief. They didn’t say anything about it on tv yet.

Initially he wasn’t taking relief from the path, just from that power box. But then he was dropping again which I assumed was relief from the path. Don’t worry, I’m not calling or emailing the tournament.

If you take relief from a cart path, you can’t drop the ball then stand on the path. I’m just not sure what Spieth was exactly doing on his second drop attempt. It wasn’t clear on tv. Here’s the rule:

Rule 24-2

Taking "complete relief" from Obstruction

Q. What is meant by the phrase, "taking complete relief" from an obstruction?

A. When a player is taking relief from an immovable obstruction, he must determine the point where there is no interference from the lie of ball, stance, and area of intended swing. For example, if the ball lies on a cart path, the ball must be dropped at a point where the cart path does not interfere with the lie of the ball, his stance, and also the area of intended swing. If the ball comes to rest in such a position, it must be re-dropped (Rule 20-2c(v)).

That’s wild. I’ve never heard that one. I wonder if the argument can be made that the path interferes with his swing (thus the first drop) but he has no problem standing on a path so that’s not interference.

That’s wild. I’ve never heard that one. I wonder if the argument can be made that the path interferes with his swing (thus the first drop) but he has no problem standing on a path so that’s not interference.

It was a weird situation and the golf channel did have a camera and microphone there for the whole incident. Spieth was having a somewhat heated discussion with the rules official about his options.

The ball was initially not on the path and the path had nothing to do with the first attempt to take a drop (didn’t interfere with his stance or swing). He was taking relief from the power box thing that was behind him and in the way of his swing and maybe stance. But that initial relief had him dropping the ball onto the cart path. The ball did not come to rest on the path. The ball bounced away and a fan caught the ball, twice.

So I was confused if Spieth was then taking relief from the path. It looked like he was because he then placed the ball on the path before the next drop attempt. Then, it sure looked like his right foot was partly onto the path which I’m fairly sure is a penalty. I was surprised that the announcers didn’t get into it.

2 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

It was a weird situation and the golf channel did have a camera and microphone there for the whole incident. Spieth was having a somewhat heated discussion with the rules official about his options.

The ball was initially not on the path and the path had nothing to do with the first attempt to take a drop (didn’t interfere with his stance or swing). He was taking relief from the power box thing that was behind him and in the way of his swing and maybe stance. But that initial relief had him dropping the ball onto the cart path. The ball did not come to rest on the path. The ball bounced away and a fan caught the ball, twice.

So I was confused if Spieth was then taking relief from the path. It looked like he was because he then placed the ball on the path before the next drop attempt. Then, it sure looked like his right foot was partly onto the path which I’m fairly sure is a penalty. I was surprised that the announcers didn’t get into it.

When he placed the ball on the path, his next move was taking relief from the path. When he took relief from the path and dropped in the grass, he was once again right next to the power box.

Then he took relief from the power box (again) by dropping in a 1" x 1" patch of grass where the ball would stick and not roll onto the path or roll closer to the hole from where the ball was pre-drop. So when he finally took his final stance, he had taken relief from the power box, not the path.

I think what made Spieth so frustrated was that the official made him go through the whole process of dropping on the path (twice) and then place on the path, and then drop in the grass next to the box only to get to take the drop on the 1" x 1" patch of grass that he wanted to do in the first place.

Edited by dieucla98
  • Like 2

John Smoltz, Braves Ace (mid-Michigan legend) qualified for the US Senior Open.
Smoltz shot a 3 under, then won a 3:1 playoff for the last spot.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/john-smoltz-yes-that-john-smoltz-qualifies-for-us-senior-open

The best part of the story is the very last line, but you'll have to read it yourself

23 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

When he placed the ball on the path, his next move was taking relief from the path. When he took relief from the path and dropped in the grass, he was once again right next to the power box.

Then he took relief from the power box (again) by dropping in a 1" x 1" patch of grass where the ball would stick and not roll onto the path or roll closer to the hole from where the ball was pre-drop. So when he finally took his final stance, he had taken relief from the power box, not the path.

I think what made Spieth so frustrated was that the official made him go through the whole process of dropping on the path (twice) and then place on the path, and then drop in the grass next to the box only to get to take the drop on the 1" x 1" patch of grass that he wanted to do in the first place.

I was 5 feet away from him during this yesterday.  He got pissed because the rules official wasn't going to let him drop again because "we already went through this".. That's what got him fired up.  What the tv coverage didn't catch after he finally had a ball in play was him berating Grellar for not talking to him before hitting his next shot.  Then, he fired off the comment about not filming his shot to the crowd..  I'm done with this kid's attitude.  I get the situation sucked and he was playing bad.  But he needs to grow the fuck up and quit taking it out on everyone else.  The only other ass hat yesterday happened to be Hossler.  Petulant child..