2017-2018 PGA Tour

bigup2dahorns

On 5/16/2018 at 9:43 PM, lonestarguido said:

I have a real bad feeling that this is going to be a disaster.  Parking looks to be a mess, even if you want to UBER there is a shuttle that is not very close at all.  With record heat coming and very little shade this could be awful....that being said I am gonna give it a whirl early in the am and walk 18 before lunch time.

A course in Dallas, Tx with no shade and down in the hood.  Sounds like a very well planned event.

Thursday at the Nelson

I start a new job on Monday so this week I haven’t had much to do so I decided to get up early and head to the course to just walk it and familiarize myself with it.

Parking: Sucks...really bad. The General lot is south of fair park and I pulled into the lot at 7:53am...fairly organized and quick departure. The bus route to the course is really sad and depressing. It takes you thorough a really weird side street that take you through a really really bad part of town...really bad. The front entrance is a cluster with all shuttle busses from all the other lots and the Uber lot all assigned loading and unloading zones. Here is the kicker, 7:53 in the lot...8:30 arrival to the front gate. It’s a long and far bus ride. Buy premium parking.

The entrance and security check are going to be a mess. There is only one entrance spot period and there was a back up at 830 on a slow Thursday. Can’t imagine what it will be like during the peak times this weekend.

Everything that was big in size at the TPC seems way scaled down. Very small merchandise tent, very very small Pavilion in a weird location.

Outside of that the setup and the ability to watch the players and once you get in is pretty good. The greens and tees extremely close to each other and the setup makes it really easy to navigate from hole to hole. It is not an easy walk through all the high grass and mounds. Lots and lots of dust and there are a ton of areas that are restricted because of the wildflowers.

The carts moving all the people, food, equipment, TV folks etc makes the entire grounds a dust bowl. It’s really bad. Like so bad the TV cart drivers are wearing bandanas like they are driving ATV’s in the desert.

The Suites, Cabanas, etc all look awesome. The 360 club I think is the perfect place if you can score those tickets. It’s really cool with as you can guess 360 views of 4-5 holes.

All in all gotta expect they will learn from year one and it can only get better. My worry is that it’s too far for the suburban mass and will cause people to choose going to the Colonial over the Nelson if they live in Southlake/Grapevine area or even the Frisco/Plano area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Tron (NoLayingUp) is playing the BMW ProAm today in one. He said he would if they raised $15k and they made it

e9fc1d4a3b089095c81e59e04dd6841b.jpg
So the shirt is actually awesome. Never had any wetness from sweat accumulate. Breathes so well it was cooler than any short sleeve shirt. It stretches under the arms and in the middle of your back, so not restricting at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the point that you CAN wear them on the course because they're so well made?  Or do they expect people to actually wear them when they play?  I mean.. if he at least rolled the sleeves up and went another button deep it wouldn't look that bad.  

Is the point that you CAN wear them on the course because they're so well made?  Or do they expect people to actually wear them when they play?  I mean.. if he at least rolled the sleeves up and went another button deep it wouldn't look that bad.  

Yes. That’s the point. They’re not made for on course play. But if they hold up on course in the heat they hold up in the office as well.

They are easy to clean. Machine wash and hang dry. They don’t wrinkle, they’re lightweight and they wick moisture and they look great under a coat and even with a suit.

Really solid product

Watched Noah Goodwin from my Club, the 17 year old that played in the Nelson on Friday. Talked to his dad and all of Noah’s friends were following him around, what a great day for him.

He was even after first round but blew up with a 77 on Friday and missed the cut. I played Saturday afternoon and there was Noah again, teeing off right before us with a buddy of his, guess he didn’t feel like watching it on TV.

Told him we were all proud of him and he is always so polite with yes sir and no sir. Great kid, keep an eye out for him.

• Like 1

So what was the consensus for those that made it out this weekend?  Did the Cluster F continue?   Was out of town but kind of glad to miss year 1.   Hopefully they can learn and turn it into a fun event to attend.

I took the fam today after the rain delay.

With clubhouse parking we rolled in and pulled out the ol double bob stroller and slogged around.

We had a great time. It was cool weather and the sun came out. Really enjoyed it much more than Thursday. It was a ghost town though. Looked like a web event

Hung out for a few hours, drank a couple goose island brews and threw the stroller in the car and were home in 15 mins.

Glad we went.

Read several reviews of the tournament and Trinity Forrest.  Most of the National Press had nice things to say about the course and how "different" it is.  It's a nice change of pace and after the course settles down and they fix a few things, it will be a "change of pace" that the players will like.   The FW Star Telegram pretty much said it was shit and they should move the tournament to Frisco.  

The principal designer was Ben Crenshaw (Hook 'em).  I bet they make some changes for next year.   

What I'm hearing as well.  They have a lot of work to do before next year.  I don't care how cool or different of a course it is, I don't see the tournament succeeding without attracting the casual golf fan (if you can even call it that) primarily there for the event/party.   I enjoy the golf aspect and will likely go when in town regardless, but vast majority of those I know that typically attend fall into the other category.

On 5/19/2018 at 8:01 PM, BigDHornfan said:

Man they really just let any ole asshole buy Texas gear now a days huh.

On 5/21/2018 at 1:11 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Having never stepped on the course, that course seemed like plain vanilla on tv.  Horrible sight lines in TV

With a -23 winning, I don’t see glory and fame for this golf course. The designers missed the mark on this one 

That's because CBS covered it.. they had no interest in being there.. and of course Faldo and crew did no research on the course and the strategy involved in playing it.  Watch the Geoff Ogilvy videos on the course and see how the course plays when it's firm and fast (like it should play).  

They got rain, they watered the course, and the wind didn't blow.. so it was a birdie fest.  Not that par means anything.  Crenshaw and Coore have completely changed the game in regards to course design (Sandhills and the #2 Reno) and I hope we see more courses like this on tour in the future.  

It did look like a dud on the coverage though... but I blame that on the field, and the shit show that CBS has become.  

I was the officer roasting ass at the putting green near the Nelson suites. Jesus it was hot all week. Didn't talk to too many players just not to interfere, but met lots of interesting caddies and coaches. Pretty interesting experience being on the 'inside' of the deal considering I grew up going to the tournament. 

Edit: And yeah it was a logistical clusterfuck on all fronts. I am optimistic it will be smoothed out as time goes on though. Got to get a better field, though. Felt like a Web.com event a lot of the time. 

Edited by Constant

Why is the Colonial now called The Ft. Worth Open?

Golfweek:

Since Dean & DeLuca pulled out of its six-year sponsorship agreement after last season, officials of the PGA Tour’s annual Tour stop at Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth, Texas, have been searching for a replacement.

They announced a temporary solution on Wednesday, as four companies – American Airlines, AT&T, Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway and XTO Energy Inc. – contributed $2 million each to keep the event on the calendar this season. The tournament also received a new name. The Fort Worth Invitational will take place May 24-27.

“We are thrilled, and think it very appropriate, that this year’s tournament will be named the Fort Worth Invitational,” Colonial president Rob Doby said in a release. “The City of Fort Worth, the business community and our fans have played a huge role over many decades in making this event what it is today. It is as much their tournament as it is the members of Colonial Country Club.”

However, questions remain for 2019 and beyond. Dean & DeLuca was just two years into its deal before backing out of its deal, and this year’s solution is a one-time arrangement. What happens next? Who steps up? And if the event does find a sponsor, where does it end up on the Tour’s evolving schedule that includes the PGA Championship moving to mid-May next season?

“If you don’t have a title sponsor that makes it difficult for host organizations to move forward, but with the help of the Tour we are talking to some prospective sponsors and I don’t have any intention of being anywhere else but on the schedule in 2019 and beyond,” Colonial tournament director Michael Tothe told Golf Channel.

The Colonial event, first played in 1946, is the longest-running PGA Tour event that still is hosted at its original site.

8 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Thank you kindly. I always thought Dean & DeLuca was a odd sponsor.

There have been a few odd sponsors in the last few years - mainly on the lower tier.  Barbasol, Viking, Sanderson Farms come to mind.

Sounds like Rory played well today. 

"That's the best round I've ever seen," said playing partner Alex Noren, who shot 68 and is just five back. "I'm about to quit golf I think."

"It's tough around here if you're not really on, and then you're playing with Rory," he added. "It's the best round I've ever seen I think. It's tough because it's almost like you're trying to play better than you need to when you see that."

Jordan is in a slump for him this year. Anyone hearing about him making any changes. I have been an advocate for a coaching change for over a year now. I think McCormick has done great things with him, but I think sometimes a player can outgrow their coach.

2 hours ago, ckhorn said:

Jordan is in a slump for him this year. Anyone hearing about him making any changes. I have been an advocate for a coaching change for over a year now. I think McCormick has done great things with him, but I think sometimes a player can outgrow their coach.

He’s second on tour from tee to green. Are you nuts?

8 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

He’s second on tour from tee to green. Are you nuts?

No. So explain why this is his worst year on tour since his rookie year. I see the tee to green stats, but a coach can help with whats going on between the ears or a new putter.

Edit: Every time I proclaim a change. He goes off.

14 hours ago, ckhorn said:

No. So explain why this is his worst year on tour since his rookie year. I see the tee to green stats, but a coach can help with whats going on between the ears or a new putter.

Edit: Every time I proclaim a change. He goes off.

He’s 192nd in strokes gained putting. He needs to keep at it. He doesn’t need to blow up his team. He’s won 3 majors already.