Formula 1 2019

wood

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with any of the analysis of that move here. It was terrible and Vettel got extremely lucky.

Yeah I brought it up & posted the video on Autosport & some Vettel fanboys got all sandy, saying Palmer is stupid, that we're anti-Vettel, anti-Ferrari, that Seb was ahead at turn-in so that made it ok (no), etc. LOL. Most of the people bringing this up are Ferrari fans. It was just a really unnecessary move, as he was already in the 'net' race lead, but Seb got lucky & got away with it. More power to him. Could have easily turned out very differently for him and been another bad off week. 

Edited by wood

McLaren back to Merc in 2021. Merc supplying 4 teams. McLaren saves money, gets a better engine, and moves to the front of the Merc Works team line should Merc leave F1 ... which I've been thinking about ever since the first rumors of this started popping up.

• Like 1

In Russian GP P1 today, listening to a blurb of LeClerc apologizing for his statements over the radio... WTF?  I thought he was incredibly reserved in his reaction.

I can only imagine that Ferrari put him up to it, which makes me angry and is indicative of the consistent type of insular, reactionary behavior that has led them into so many problems and screwups over the past 5-8 years or so.  Trying to sweep stuff under the rug instead of facing it head-on and fixing it.  That's a bunch of bulljive.

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

In Russian GP P1 today, listening to a blurb of LeClerc apologizing for his statements over the radio... WTF?  I thought he was incredibly reserved in his reaction.

I can only imagine that Ferrari put him up to it, which makes me angry and is indicative of the consistent type of insular, reactionary behavior that has led them into so many problems and screwups over the past 5-8 years or so.  Trying to sweep stuff under the rug instead of facing it head-on and fixing it.  That's a bunch of bulljive.

his "handlers" probably put him up to it.  and ferrari probably whispered "youre our boy next season when vettel is out, just play nice this year".

these guys almost literally cant go anywhere without a trailing PR (woman).  i dont know any sport where handlers are attached to athletes so tightly.  if the f1 cars had a 2nd seat, they'd be right there alongside too

13 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

his "handlers" probably put him up to it.  and ferrari probably whispered "youre our boy next season when vettel is out, just play nice this year".

these guys almost literally cant go anywhere without a trailing PR (woman).  i dont know any sport where handlers are attached to athletes so tightly.  if the f1 cars had a 2nd seat, they'd be right there alongside too

I'm sure his publicist/handler/people urged him to say it, but this has Ferrari's ham hands all over it.  It's a severe part of their cultural problem that constantly limits their potential. They're often more worried about image, than production. Tired of seeing it, but it's always been this way.  I've had hopes that someday they'd "evolve."  Today is not that day.

Edited by utee94

16 hours ago, wood said:

McLaren back to Merc in 2021. Merc supplying 4 teams. McLaren saves money, gets a better engine, and moves to the front of the Merc Works team line should Merc leave F1 ... which I've been thinking about ever since the first rumors of this started popping up.

So, whenever a manufacturer also has a team, does the manufacturer "hold something back" for themselves versus the teams they supply?  Meaning, if  Mercedes doesn't leave F1, are the engines in the Mercedes cars the exact same as the engines they supply to other teams?

Or is that something we can never truly know?

And if it is the case, or if it could even be considered a possibility, wouldn't a team want a manufacturer like Honda, since Honda doesn't have an F1 team to compete with?

#newbiequestions

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

So, whenever a manufacturer also has a team, does the manufacturer "hold something back" for themselves versus the teams they supply?  Meaning, if  Mercedes doesn't leave F1, are the engines in the Mercedes cars the exact same as the engines they supply to other teams?

Or is that something we can never truly know?

And if it is the case, or if it could even be considered a possibility, wouldn't a team want a manufacturer like Honda, since Honda doesn't have an F1 team to compete with?

#newbiequestions

It's always ideal to be the works team for a manufacturer. Until a couple of years ago, it was common for customer teams to not get the same treatment as the manufacturer or works teams, esp in terms of making the same software, engine modes, etc available to customers, and there was no rule against it. There's a rule against it now. I'm not saying the manufacturer won't find a way to get some kind of advantage, but it shouldn't be as easy now.

40 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

McLaren does regularly beat the works Renault team using their engine. 

But none of the Merc or Ferrari customer teams come close to the manufacturers. 

Yeah Renault doesn't spend the way the other manufacturers do, or Red Bull & McLaren. 

There seems to be a push for the 2021 rules to make the PU less of a differentiator again, ie reverting to more of a chassis formula than an engine formula, so that helps pave the way for a deal like this as well, even if Merc is staying.

the most exciting guy in F1 is putting in a killer lap and we're watching vettel in Q3.  this is an easy fucking problem to fix but the international feed director won't fucking do it.  same shit as hiding camera guys behind bushes and cutting to the crowd or the garage when stuff is happening on track.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, elfenix said:

the most exciting guy in F1 is putting in a killer lap and we're watching vettel in Q3.  this is an easy fucking problem to fix but the international feed director won't fucking do it.  same shit as hiding camera guys behind bushes and cutting to the crowd or the garage when stuff is happening on track.

And today during the last lap and a half or so we got to watch the battle for 14th and 15th for some reason.  

18 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I do agree with the announcers that closing the pits during a virtual safety car seems logical 

Agree 100%. There might be minor unintended consequences for drivers who really were planning to pit but oh well. 

Maybe leave it open but drop pit lane speed limit even lower. Like 40%. Can these cars go 20 mph without stalling? Ha. 

Edited by Huckleberry

13 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Not a fan of that because then cars with punctures or broken wings can’t get off of the track. I think it’s fine as is. Merc basically strategized hoping for one and it paid off, so it can be used that way sometimes. Ferrari also did it in Australia last year.

I think they should just eliminate all safety cars, virtual or otherwise.  Let folks take their chances with whatever's left on the track.

Also, all cars should have 6 wheels.

On 9/30/2019 at 5:47 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

I do agree with the announcers that closing the pits during a virtual safety car seems logical 

Yeah keeping them open is complete bullshit. The whole idea behind the VSC is to neutralize the race, except we're gonna let people pit under it. Stupid.

9 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Interesting development.

https://grandpx.news/lando-norris-to-be-managed-by-mercedes-report/

Planning for Life After Lewis?

Yeah a rumor popped up suddenly yesterday on Autosport that the McLaren-Mercedes engine deal might include Lando being managed by Toto or Merc and being loaned out or heading outright to Merc in 2021. This one is very interesting on multiple levels, having implications for Lewis or Bottas, and opening a 2021 seat at McLaren Mercedes.

4 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Some intern was probably like, "hey uh, did anyone ever schedule any support races? No? Someone should make some calls!"

Yeah it's pretty amazing. How can they not have their lineup finalized by now? And if it's finalized already, which seems pretty damn likely to me, then how can they have not publicized it yet?

13 hours ago, wood said:

Not even 4 weeks left til the race, and still no USGP weekend schedule on the COTA website. Unreal.

Is it REALLY unreal, though?  I do not think that word means, what you think it means. ;) 

12 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Some intern was probably like, "hey uh, did anyone ever schedule any support races? No? Someone should make some calls!"

And I'm about 87% sure that the intern is this guy:

screenshot_2013-08-12-18-41-50.png

7 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah it's pretty amazing. How can they not have their lineup finalized by now? And if it's finalized already, which seems pretty damn likely to me, then how can they have not publicized it yet?

Hmmm, maybe it's not the intern's fault, maybe it's the Director of Operations fault?  Oh wait, same guy.

screenshot_2013-08-12-18-41-50.png