Formula 1 2019

wood

Can someone please explain the "moving while braking" admonishment that Gasly received? 

In all my years watching F1, I don't recall ever hearing of such a thing, and I don't feel like the on-air explanation really made any sense. 

Seemed like they were essentially saying that drivers are only allowed to brake while traveling straight forward, which obviously seems like nonsense. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Can someone please explain the "moving while braking" admonishment that Gasly received? 

In all my years watching F1, I don't recall ever hearing of such a thing, and I don't feel like the on-air explanation really made any sense. 

Seemed like they were essentially saying that drivers are only allowed to brake while traveling straight forward, which obviously seems like nonsense. 

It was always one of those unwritten rules that you don't do it because it is dangerous, and a couple years back Verstappen was doing it so much that the unwritten rule became a formal rule.

17 minutes ago, elfenix said:

good run by albon to take 5th.  was jockeying with perez at the DRS line, each trying to get the other to cross first

Yeah it's sad that DRS gives the trailing car such a massive advantage. Even Albon was saying after the race that the advantage is just too big & the trailing car almost always passes the leading car once they get in DRS range. Looks like the 2021 cars won't have it, so there's that ... hopefully.

The bigger issue is how track-specific and even DRS-zone specific it is, not that I'm telling y'all anything you don't already know. The Kemmel straight at Spa makes it way too powerful. But on the start/finish straight there it doesn't do a damn thing. I don't recall seeing a single pass under DRS on the start/finish straight during the race, but I admit zoning out from time to time just waiting for battles to make their way up Eau Rouge and Raidillon to start paying attention.

I remember some move that Kimi made at Spa a few years ago - I think it was against Schumacher - where he was defending hard over a good lenthy challenge, and ultimately let (Schumi? Whoever...) get past him right at the measurement zone, and then he used DRS to absolutely and definitively wail past his competitor in the activation zone.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/09/07/hulkenberg-stroll-and-sainz-given-reprimands-for-qualifying-incident/

Nico Hulkenberg, Lance Stroll and Carlos Sainz Jnr have been given reprimands for their roles in the incident in qualifying which led to eight drivers failing to set a time.

The trio ran at the front of the pack at the beginning of Q3 at a comparatively slow pace. That contributed to eighth of the nine drivers on the track failing to set a time. Sainz was the only one who did.

In the cases of all three drivers, the stewards noted they admitted they had driven “unnecessarily slowly” during their out-laps because they wanted to get a slipstream from other cars. The stewards ruled all three “played a significant role in the banking up of cars at a critical stage of the final out lap for Q3”.

The stewards added they “strongly recommend that the FIA expedite a solution to this type of situation.”

Hulkenberg said the situation arose because all the drivers were trying to get in position to take a slistream from another car.

“We’re all looking for a tow, obviously, because if you want to do the ultimate, fastest time, that’s what you need around here,” he said. “Just so much lap time and so powerful.

“When you drive on your own you just lose on the straights and you can’t make up that time in the corners, basically. Hence we ended up with this conditions.

“To some extent it’s just down to the cars as well because the tow effect is massive. But of course it was a bit weird and strange, for sure, that last out-lap.”

The Halo seems to have saved another life, or at least saved this kid from being a paraplegic imho.

"Update on Alex. Alex is currently in hospital and he has been immobilised until further scans are performed on his back on Sunday. His D6 vertebra has multiple fractures and the medical staff will decide tomorrow if it's necessary to operate. Alex is also recovering from concussion with his helmet extensively damaged. Alex's life was saved by the halo, his helmet and the robust modern survival cell. Team Peroni wish to pay tribute to all of those people that have lobbied for constant progress in relation to safety. As soon as possible Alex will return to Tasmania to recover."

facebook.com/DriverAlexPeroni

...and walking away from the scene of the accident and getting into a car with a broken vertebrae put him in further jeopardy. 

How TF is that even allowed to happen nowadays?

Edited by wood

The race was so focused on the leaders it’s like the rest of the field didn’t exist. Wasn’t bad, but nothing on the midfield, Verstappen etc. 

I think this race confirmed Honda is last in straight engine power. Verstappen couldn’t get by Perez after sitting behind him for quite a while with DRS. That RB was super trimmed out, too.

Can anyone explain to me why only Hulk, Sainz, and Stroll were given reprimands for the Q3 debacle? What a fucking joke. Sainz actually looked to be trying to get on with it more than anyone else.

Oh, and I really hate the continuance of just slapping a minimal 5s time penalty on someone who cuts the track to gain a position and then doesn't give it back. Complete bullshit.

Edited by wood

4 hours ago, wood said:

Can anyone explain to me why only Hulk, Sainz, and Stroll were given reprimands for the Q3 debacle? What a fucking joke. Sainz actually looked to be trying to get on with it more than anyone else.

Oh, and I really hate the continuance of just slapping a minimal 5s time penalty on someone who cuts the track to gain a position and then doesn't give it back. Complete bullshit.

Everyone getting out of the pits late was S.O.P.  But once on track, it was those 3 who were blocking the road for the rest of the grid. 

There was a moment at 1:18 left when Vettel was gesturing for them to get out of the way.  He could not have reasonably gone past unless he went out beyond the curb.

Watched the race replay again and I have to admit, LeClerc was not playing so nicely defending against Hamilton.  The moment when Hamilton went off track was fine -- Ferrari was ahead and entitled to the line.  But there was a moment when LeClerc zigzagged across the road.  Not totally egregious a la Verstappen last year, but not exactly fair play either.

8 minutes ago, mcbrisket said:

Vettel seems to have lost the edge, I wonder if he's even enjoying himself out there. Leclerc seems to be taking over the team.

Yeah imho he lost his edge over a year ago. And no, he hasn't looked like he's having fun & has looked like a dead man walking imho.

15 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah imho he lost his edge over a year ago. And no, he hasn't looked like he's having fun & has looked like a dead man walking imho.

Hasn't been the same since he fucked up last year at Hockenheim. I'd like him to do well. I root for German drivers. 

I thought this last race was awesome. It was nice to hear Lewis say he needed more power. No matter the reason it's nice to not have foregone conclusions. I'd like to at least see Renault and Honda get things going by the end of the year and actually become a threat to Mercedes. And I'd like to see Ferrari become good at all tracks, not just a couple.