Formula 1 2019

wood

Still too long though imho, but I'm optimistic about the effects of these rules. The next step according to them is to have a group looking for every loophole they can find in their own rules set. Of course there's probably no way to account for everything, but it seems like they are making an intensive effort there that hasn't been made before.

F1 chief technical officer Pat Symonds: “The fundamental point of all of this is that we are trying to reduce the losses that the following car would face.

“The simplification of the leading car’s aerodynamics also helps for wake performance because on the one hand the front car doesn't have as many methods to control its wake.

“On the other hand the following car, not having all these little, very sensitive devices is less susceptible to disruption.”“We also chose to use a 50% model rather than a 60% model and we chose to run that model quite a long way forward in the wind tunnel, so this gave us the opportunity to best inspect the wake of the car,”The results from the tesing done according are “actually beyond what I thought we could achieve when we started the project," said Symonds. “With the configurations we have got at the moment, the results are exceptional.”

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, mcbrisket said:

Agree with Wood, still a tad long. But I will get over the looks if cars are able to follow closely.

Just found out today that apparently the wheelbase is 20 cm shorter than the current length, but the bodywork is just as long or longer. 

7 minutes ago, mcbrisket said:

So does that mean the Vettel back to RBR, Daniel to Ferrari rumors could be plausible?

I think they're plausible. Turun Sanomat is saying Vettel to RBR is a real possibility, with Vettel unhappy over the low-downforce route Ferrari have taken. Supposedly he has an out in his contract. But who knows...

If that happens, then I reckon you have either Ricciardo or Alonso going to Ferrari. Ricciardo says he's at Renault through 2020 with a 'hard' contract though. Who knows?

ETA: I also saw something earlier today talking about how unhappy Vettel is at Ferrari, why, and the big differences between him and Schumi & the way they dealt with the team. so it seems there are legs to the "Vettel is unhappy at Ferrari" rumors. Personally I've thought he's acted like a dead man walking there for a year or so. Alonso will be at Monza ...

Also, I think if Vettel goes back to RBR, that might say something about RBR being unsure about what Max will do in 2021.

Edited by wood

It helped that Schumacher had Ross Brawn follow him there. If only Vettel could've had Newey follow him to Ferrari, perhaps there would've been more success.

I definitely get that dead man walking feeling about Vettel @ Ferrari.

4 hours ago, wood said:

Ericsson called up by Sauber for Spa. Kimi possibly injured & unable to race.

Marcus Ericcsson? 

So how does that work for ArrowSP in Indy. Does Sauber pay them a rental fee? 

I guess that puts someone like Conor Daly in the Arrow car in Portland...

14 minutes ago, elfenix said:

my only complaint with race weekend at the USGP is the lack of support races.  there's a lot of dead time.  that's probably more a COTA problem than an F1 problem.

Agree. It's not great, and yeah, it's a COTA problem.