2019 Texas Softball - Connie's overboard, Anchors Aweigh!

TrashMaster G

Through 8 games in 2019:

7-1
.345 average
16 doubles, 3 triples, 4 homers, 47 RBI
26 BB, 29 K
12-12 SB
.956 fielding
6.5 runs per game scored
1.34 ERA
51:11 K to BB
52-14 run differential

Last year we were 4-4 at this point, coming off a 2-2 trip to Puerto Vallarta that saw us lose 16-2 against the two ranked teams we faced (Ole Miss and Oregon)

This weekend we see Sam Houston (4-6), RV Ole Miss (6-3) and Tulsa (7-3).  Don't let Tulsa fool you, the only legit team they've faced is LSU twice and were outscored 30-1

https://www.softballamerica.com/rankings/ncaa-divison-i-softball-top-25/

Dropped a spot to #8 in Softball America due to losing to their then-#13-now-#11 LSU (technically an "upset" to them).  

The Skinny: The Longhorns won three out of four games at the St. Pete Clearwater Elite Invitational. They started off play with a 10-0 shutout against California and then knocked off Florida Atlantic 5-1. The only blemish was a 7-1 loss against No. 13 LSU. A 4-3 win against No. 19 Kentucky made sure the Longhorns ended the weekend on a high note.

OU is #4
Tennessee is #9 (future opponent)
LSU is #11 (L)
Kentucky is #17 (W)
Texas Tech (!!!) is #19 - they're currently 10-0
OK State is #20
ASU is #22 (future opponent)
Minnesota is #23 (future opponent)

Where I see major improvement:

• Hitting - 5 players above .400 (6 if you include Ellsworth) - 3 Ducks and 3 Horns.  The other Duck is hitting .320 but leads the team with 2 homers. .352 team average is currently top 30 in the country! 
  • Team speed - 18/18 on stolen bases
  • Pitching - team ERA near 1.00 and COMMAND is excellent - 70 strikeouts to 12 walks
  • Scoring - 6 run rules in 9 games; averaging 7.77 runs per game and only giving up 1.77

Where I see a need for improvement:

• Bottom of the lineup - Slack/Schattle aren't elite talent so we have some holes
  • Defense oddly enough, which was legit under Clark - .963 fielding and 7 of our 16 runs given up are unearned (also why team ERA is so low, too many unearned runs that don't count)
  • Power - still not there.  Only 5 HR so far compared to some teams like Arizona (22), OU (17), FSU (19), ASU (16), Mizzou (14), Florida (13), Ok State (12), Tech (11) - even Oregon has 9

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

Shea really competes, was hitting 65 on the gun. Looked faster, she could be a good one here.

https://texassports.com/cumestats.aspx?path=softball&year=2019

True.   In 24 inn she has K'd 20 and walked only 1.    In 10 innings this weekend,  only threw 112 pitches.     Great stats.

Against stronger competition she may have to use a little more finesse (paint the black/throw outside the zone).

Through 13 games:

.339 average, 23 doubles, 4 triples, 5 homers, 41 walks, 43 strikeouts, 20-21 SB

0.97 team ERA, 89 strikeouts to 16 walks allowed,  6 HR given up 

.952 fielding 😕

Averaging 6.3 runs per game. 82-18 scoring margin. 

Looking ahead:

HBU on Wednesday (4-4 currently)

RV Wisconsin (13-1), Princeton (1-1, they started this weekend) and #12/15 ASU (11-4) in Tempe this weekend 

just looked at the softball stats after looking at what baseball is doing

HELL YEA! finally Texas has a softball team with a ton of potential

obviously credit to the new coaching staff, but credit to the softball ladies for stepping up and embracing the change and getting it done on the field

19 hours ago, Js1 said:

Through 13 games:

.339 average, 23 doubles, 4 triples, 5 homers, 41 walks, 43 strikeouts, 20-21 SB

0.97 team ERA, 89 strikeouts to 16 walks allowed,  6 HR given up 

.952 fielding 😕

Averaging 6.3 runs per game. 82-18 scoring margin. 

Looking ahead:

HBU on Wednesday (4-4 currently)

RV Wisconsin (13-1), Princeton (1-1, they started this weekend) and #12/15 ASU (11-4) in Tempe this weekend 

Not a bit shocked with our low fielding percentage. Several players are in new positions, and White is putting the best 9 bats in the order, and sacrificing defense is the result of this. I am shocked that this team has not hit more HR, but maybe that will come with time.

2 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Not a bit shocked with our low fielding percentage. Several players are in new positions, and White is putting the best 9 bats in the order, and sacrificing defense is the result of this. I am shocked that this team has not hit more HR, but maybe that will come with time.

I'll buy that first part - lots of infield and outfield changes for the moment while Mike shuffles. 

The second, he didn't inherit any real power hitting individuals left by Clark - our top 2018 HR hitters were Washington (3), von Sprecken (4), Ellsworth (5) and Alcozer (5).  4 of those graduated with PvS.   I think it'll come with the other 3.  Plus Ellsworth is out with the injury.

For comparison - the Ducks we inherited in 2018 -- Rhodes (11), Iakopo (8), Burke (3), Elish (1).  I think the power will come eventually.  Burke already has 1, Elish already matched her 2018 total and Rhodes has 2 already. 

17 hours ago, spystud13 said:

This is pretty goddamn crazy, especially in the first 4 innings. 

OK, it's cool and all, but wtf with the "No one in MLB history has ever done that" comment?

I'm sure we can find examples of Little League pitchers who have thrown back-to-back-to-back no hitters, too.  No one has ever done THAT in the MLB either and it is just as relevant.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Not that it really matters, but what would our stats look like without the oregon 4?  They are most of our offense, correct?

I guess recruiting is kinda important.  

You don't want to know.

You're removing the following from the field:
.393, 1 double, 2 triples, 1 homer, 6 RBI, 3 walks, 1.000 fielding
.385, 2 doubles, 1 homer, 7 RBI, 8 walks, 1.000 fielding
.379, 2 doubles, 1 homer, 8 RBI, 3 walks, .900 fielding
.323, 2 doubles, 2 homers, 11 RBI, 2 walks, .889 fielding

And from the pitching staff:
0.23 ERA, 4-0, 1 save, 31 IP, 41 strikeouts

We are #7 in the current Massey ratings - #20 SOS, #24 offense, #9 defense/pitching

We are favored in every game except:

#21 ASU (x2) - 46% (basically a tossup)
#10 Tennessee (x2) - 33%
#5 OU (x3) - 31%

Other games of note:

#23 Wisconsin (x2) - 65%
#18 Minnesota (x3) - 53%
#20 Ok State (x3) - 51% (basically a tossup)
#8 TTU (x3) - 52% (basically a tossup)

So really, we are predicted by the computers to finish somewhere around 48-8 - that would be fantastic.

Edited by Js1

4 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

. I am shocked that this team has not hit more HR, but maybe that will come with time.

White alludes to this in press conf above stating McCombs is a difficult field to hit home runs.    He did not state why.

One factor is home plate faces almost directly North parallel with the I35 corridor.   The North wind in early season blows directly in with no obstruction.

http://big12statistics.com/sports/sball/2018-19/teams?sort=&r=0&pos=h

B12 stats above.   Still very early.

Edited by torre

45 minutes ago, torre said:

White alludes to this in press conf above stating McCombs is a difficult field to hit home runs.    He did not state why.

One factor is home plate faces almost directly North parallel with the I35 corridor.   The North wind in early season blows directly in with no obstruction.

http://big12statistics.com/sports/sball/2018-19/teams?sort=&r=0&pos=h

B12 stats above.   Still very early.

Mike wants to bring in the fences during the off-season 

8 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

OK, it's cool and all, but wtf with the "No one in MLB history has ever done that" comment?

I'm sure we can find examples of Little League pitchers who have thrown back-to-back-to-back no hitters, too.  No one has ever done THAT in the MLB either and it is just as relevant.

yea that was retarded, there's been more perfect games thrown than 4 homer games in MLB, just shocking none of those 4 homer games were for the "homer cycle"