Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

11 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I was wrong and missed on the call. No excuses. Parents wanted him at Texas. He wanted to go to Texas. In the end, Ohio State did a better job recruiting him by persuading him to believe they do a better job developing players. OSU coaches also told him flat out that they think Baldwin is the future of the program and compared him favorably to the Texas Qbs on campus. The Texas staff is playing from behind the eight ball at Lake Travis but they are doing their best to correct that and develop a relationship with Coach Carter and staff. Will Stein definitely is helping mend those relationships. With Coach Stein as his new OC and the possibility of Card committing to Texas, I wouldn't completely close the book on this one. I can tell you the Texas staff is still somewhat hopeful with Wilson and will continue to recruit him hard, as they should. I wouldn't expect a flip but if we win and Hudson commits to Texas, I'm saying we have a chance...

As for Wilson as a prospect, he is a polished WR standing 6' and ran a 4.7 at last year's opening. LT had him at a 4.5. His best time in the 100m is 11.39. He isn't the fastest guy. He isn't the biggest guy. But he is fast enough and big enough. He is ready to go right now for the college game. He will step on campus and be the most polished and complete receiver at just about any school but certainly Texas. His best attributes are his route running, strong hands, and his ability to time his jumps to go get the ball. He goes and gets the ball better than any receiver I have seen. I don't think he is a better athlete than any of the receivers Texas currently has or has committed, but he is a better receiver than all of them. 

Holy fuck. 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Baldwin will be a career back up at tOSU. Hopefully he can stay healthy. 

The OSU coaches disagree. After watching him throw and go through drills in the Spring, they think he is the most talented QB on campus with the most arm talent by a mile. They emphasized that to Wilson in a big, big way. With Day and Wilson, they are going to focus on throwing more than a traditiona Myerl OSU offense.

For comparison, LT coaches think Baldwin has the most arm talent of any QB to ever come through LT. He was ranked lower, although he did end up a 4 star, because he was sitting behind Big 12 freshman co-offensive player of the year Charlie Brewer.

I hope Wilson comes around but if not, there are plenty of other WRs to take his place.

13 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

I hope we take Card, and I hope he becomes a bad ass. We've missed on the goods ones and have take the shitty ones. Just can we please get one of these QBs from Austin that ends up being gamers. 

I really hope Sam becomes The Man. 

The Texas coaches believe Sam IS the man and that Roschon will be the man. I am good with Young or Card for 2020. Card has been wearing nothing but Texas gear since the offer. I think Texas has Young prioritized. If Young passes, I think we see Card commit asap.

9 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

The OSU coaches disagree. After watching him throw and go through drills in the Spring, they think he is the most talented QB on campus with the most arm talent by a mile. They emphasized that to Wilson in a big, big way.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's something OSU is going to tell Wilson regardless if they actually believe it or not.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

The Texas coaches believe Sam IS the man and that Roschon will be the man. I am good with Young or Card for 2020. Card has been wearing nothing but Texas gear since the offer. I think Texas has Young prioritized. If Young passes, I think we see Card commit asap.

Welp, guess Thompson and Rising should just go ahead and transfer...

23 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Why, may I ask? Kind of crazy that this would be the case at LT, of all places.

They feel like UT did not develop Garrett Gilbert the way they should have and then left Gilbert hanging out to dry. They also don't believe the previous Texas coaches paid enough respect to the LT players, namely QB. If Texas had simply taken the LT QB from Gilbert forward, Texas would have had: GIlbert, Brewer, Mayfield, DeLira, Brewer, Baldwin, and now Card. The only one that wasnt an upgrade to who Texas took is DeLira.  The current Texas staff is changing that and are building a strong relationship with LT.

• Fuck You 1

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-monday-april-30th/

– This weekend Texas hosted Elite 2019 Safety, Kenyatta Watson II out of Grayson High School, Loganville (GA). As most of you are aware, Watson is scheduled to make his commitment announcement on Tuesday, May 1st, so it was important for Tom Herman and his staff to check off all the right boxes on this trip.

I was able to briefly catch up with his father, Kenyatta Watson, and by all indications, the Horns staff did everything they could to check off all of those boxes.

The family had just returned home at the time I was able to connect with the Mr. Watson, and I asked him how the overall experience was and he replied, “Awesome, genuine experience”. He then went on to say, “Just the genuine conversations with Coach Herman and Coach Washington really stood out.”

As far as how the rest of the trip went, Kenyatta offered “I wanted to make sure that I got all my questions answered and I did. The thing I liked most was the transparency!”

With his son’s commitment looming, and Texas having the final visit, a parent has many concerns and it appears that Texas certainly took the time to address those concerns in depth. Will it be enough? We will all find out Tuesday! – (Charlie)

Noa Pola-Gates: As I mentioned last week, Texas went by to see Noa in Arizona, and extended him an offer and the excitement is palpable.

Having relatives close by is a big deal for him and his family, and he has plenty of family in Austin and around Texas.

While Alabama is the leader in this race, coach Naivar’s visit went so well that Texas has jumped straight into the top of the mix. With a successful visit to Austin, Texas could end up grabbing the services of the dynamic DB. – (Will)

Last week during the Spring Game we had a shh sighting.

Same old rule of we can’t spoil anything, but we can give you a hint that this guy is coming from out West and brings a new dynamic to an important position. That’s all your getting!

P.S. I know a lot of people are wondering what exactly consists as a “Shh Sighting,” with how quickly Carrington’s “shh” emoji has caught on throughout the college football recruiting world. When is it Texas getting a silent commit vs something else?

Here are a few guidelines for to recognize the silent commit tweet:

– It’s just the “shh” emoji in the tweet. Not a picture or retweet or anything else.

– It comes from Carrington.

– There is no other context to the “shh.” For example, he’s not talking about the new stadium design or whatnot.

– Usually, we’ll have a post up pretty soon afterwards confirming the “Shh Sighting.” – (Will)

Quick Hitters | The Opening Dallas

– 5-Star DT Ishmael Sopsher from Louisiana dominated today. He told me he’ll be visiting Texas in late May.

– 4-Star OC Branson Bragg did not lose a rep and even went against Sopsher multiple times. That dude is fundamentally sound and smart. He will be in Austin in two weeks for the shot put and discus State. I feel good about Texas here.

– NaNa Okafor-Mensah told me what he likes about Texas is it’s proximity to home and his friends while for Notre Dame, he likes Notre Dame due to the diversity of players that come from all over the world. He’ll be official visiting next week and if Texas nails it, then when he announces his commitment, we feel good about Texas’ chances.

– DE Trace Ford was insane. He’s explosive.

– Stacey Wilkins looked okay. He needs to put on some weight and he’ll be good. But I wouldn’t count on him going to Texas.

We will have more notes from the event throughout the week! – (Will)

Garrett Wilson: As we have been expecting, Elite 2019 Wide Receiver Garrett Wilson committed to Ohio State. He made the news official last night.

Wilson visited Austin for the spring game weekend, but the Horns were not able to make a large enough impact to sway him from Ohio State. While nothing is certain until the papers are signed, we would expect Texas to let this one breathe a bit before re-engaging. That is not to say Texas has given up, but we would expect them to focus on actively pursuing other options at this point and perhaps revisit this recruitment a bit down the line.

7 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

They feel like UT did not develop Garrett Gilbert the way they should have and then left Gilbert hanging out to dry. They also don't believe the previous Texas coaches paid enough respect to the LT players, namely QB. If Texas had simply taken the LT QB from Gilbert forward, Texas would have had: GIlbert, Brewer, Mayfield, DeLira, Brewer, Baldwin, and now Card. The only one that wasnt an upgrade to who Texas took is DeLira.  The current Texas staff is changing that and are building a strong relationship with LT.

Before Gilbert was reesing, right?  Who led powerhouse Kansas to an orange bowl win. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Before Gilbert was reesing, right?  Who led powerhouse Kansas to an orange bowl win. 

Correct, but at 5'9, it was understandable for Texas to pass. M Brewer would have been a great QB2 take. DeLira no thanks. Mayfield and Brewer would have been great late QB2 offers.