Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

15 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

No offense to Baylor Cupp and his lovely mother, but his first name brings too much baggage.

Definitely think Liebrock has the potential to be as good as Cupp and if actually developed, then even better. There is enough TE depth that Liebrock can redshirt.

Also, in his 247 pic Baylor looks well... 

IT

MAKIYA TONGUE, DEREK STINGLEY JR., and the LONG GAME

The talented duo from Louisiana made their way to Austin a few days ago for their official visits at Texas.

Tongue getting the chance to play wide receiver has helped UT tremendously in this recruitment. LSU likes him, how much remains the question. They’ll keep the 6-foot-2, 210-pounder from University Lab (Baton Rouge) warm until Orgeron is ready or he commits/settles in elsewhere. Even if he’s not a receiver, let him figure that out on campus, not the recruiting trail.

He visited with one of his best friends who just happens to be one of the nation's top players, Dunham (LA) corner, Derek Stingley.

Stingley dropped a Top 3 yesterday with Texas squarely in the mix. Even if they’re 2nd place -- which we believe to be the case -- behind the hometown Tigers, Herman is getting closer with nationally ranked prospects. Not just the in-state crop.

On Stingley we heard he liked Texas even more after the official. That's often the case but not always. Just as importantly, his parents enjoyed it too. I get the feeling his dad is pretty open to the idea of Texas. Stingley had a great film session with Coach Washington. Stingley was inquisitive about how the coaches' demeanor and came away thinking the coaching staff looks way more organized than any other school. Those words were directly from a source, not mine.

The theme for this cycle is patience. Herman is playing the long game with the class of 2019, banking on his 2018 squad winning 9-10 games. It’s calculating and should give the team even more confidence. 

RAISING ARIZONA

Notre Dame Preparatory's (Scottsdale, AZ) Jake Smith aka White Lightning released his Top 2 schools on Monday. And there it was, Texas again.

Smith told IT before his Top 2 release:
“Texas stands out because it has everything you could want in a college. The fans are crazy about their Longhorns, the city is awesome and the education is great too. I think Texas is going to be competing for national championships soon.”

At 6-foot-1, 190, Smith holds over 40 offers including Texas A&M, Alabama, Ohio State, USC, and Auburn. For good reason. The speedster (reported 4.4 40) and All American lacrosse player visited Texas earlier this year. That was when the seed was planted for the 4-star Shipley clone. 

As we reported last night, he's got two official visits scheduled - USC on 5/18-5/20 and Texas on 6/1-6/3. He'll also catch the Texas-USC game on an unofficial in September. Also, I had to ask about fellow Arizona native Brayden Liebrock. 

"Brayden and I have been texting back and forth lately," said Smith. I'm getting to know him pretty well. He's a baller."

As for Lacrosse, Smith feels like it helps him become a better athlete. 

"Lacrosse definitely keeps me in better shape," Smith said. "And I think it's made me tougher. It's very similar to football, physicality wise." 

While Smith is looking at a decision timeline early in June, Liebrock will announce his decision today. 

Texas is planting a flag in Arizona. The potential of grabbing two of the state's, and nation's, best is too good to pass up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

Hey y'all. Sorry to ruin the "Fuck EJ party," but sometimes shit happens. Unlike others, this was obviously not intentional.

Sure. Except that this is like the 4th or 5th time that he's done this shit. Everyone makes mistakes but at some point you've got to learn, right? 

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, 35dimes said:

Where the fuck else will he go? He has Texas, Mizzou, Houston, SMU, and Texas State.

tenor.gif

He's just waiting on that TCU offer to drop. 

/Satya

7 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

Hey y'all. Sorry to ruin the "Fuck EJ party," but sometimes shit happens. Unlike others, this was obviously not intentional.

EJ is extremely vocal with his usually bad evals and opinions about things, to the point of throwing a fit if people disagree with him. It's fine that he calls out OB for their blunders and scooping of kids' commitments, but he should expect to get the same kind of criticism he likes to dish out if he makes the same mistake multiple times, scooping a kid's commitment.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

I appreciate the work that you and your site do, but nope, that's not gonna fly. If recruiting sites want to be taken seriously as "journalists" then you've got to hold yourselves to a higher standard of professionalism. You don't see the New York Times running retractions with the excuse of "Shit happens." That this is not the first time it's happened makes it even more inexcusable. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I appreciate the work that you and your site do, but nope, that's not gonna fly. If recruiting sites want to be taken seriously as "journalists" then you've got to hold yourselves to a higher standard of professionalism. You don't see the New York Times running retractions with the excuse of "Shit happens." That this is not the first time it's happened makes it even more inexcusable. 

Comparing the journalistic integrity of 24fucking7 sports to The NY Times?? boldstrategycotton.gif

1 hour ago, OnAComputer said:

Sometimes shit conveniently happens twice also.  Unlike the other times he has done this in the past or unlike other $9.95'ers who pull shit like this without the oops I accidentally posted bullshit that EJ is pulling?

2 hours ago, OnAComputer said:

i'm going to use this excuse to my wife when i get caught fucking the neighbors hot wife.  sorry, shit happens.