Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Question for the Louisiana experts: Why is Stingley at the Dunham School and not U Lab?

As someone who went to UHigh (what University Lab calls itself), there appears to have been an arms race in that district in the last decade or so. UHigh was really shitty at football and then they weren’t. Dunham was never producing high level athletes in anything but rich white kid sports. Education in Baton Rouge is funny, the only public high school worth a damn doesn’t play football or basketball, so a lot of the private schools (normally k-12) mine the middle schools for reduced tuition and whatever and try to strike gold. Brossette and Dylan Moses were the two big guys that ushered in the current era of people thinking UHigh is some football factory, and both of them started there in 6th or 7th grade. Dunham is probably doing the same thing. 

I do think the idea of UHigh as a feeder school for LSU football is probably overrated. The school is right on the LSU campus, some kids feel like they’ve already been there, done that (speaking from experience).

Point being, Stingley is at Dunham because they probably got to him in middle school first. 

• Like 4

E.J. Holland: Some notes on Brayden Liebrock's commitment

As I mentioned last night on the Jake Smith thread, I felt good enough about him and Liebrock to book a last-minute trip to Arizona, which I actually did today. As I wrote in Bevo Nuggets, we expected Liebrock to make a decision this month and knew he was down to Arizona State and Texas. I was really close to putting in my CB but wanted to see him in person on Monday before I did (that's when I'll be heading to Arizona). However, Liebrock decided to end things a little sooner than expected. He was blown away by the environment on campus, loved the staff, the team and the future of the program. If he adds some weight, Liebrock can be an immediate impact player at the position. Texas felt like he was the best receiving tight end on the board, so this is a monster land for the Longhorns. Texas is going to continue to recruit the state of Arizona hard and has ties there with Tim Beck, who coached at Saguaro high school. Liebrock is friends with the aforementioned Smith and will help in that recruitment. Keep a close eye on Arizona safety Noa Pola-Gates. Texas is a serious player there. Finally, kudos to Derek Warehime. Some have questioned him, but he was instrumental in this recruitment.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

As someone who went to UHigh (what University Lab calls itself), there appears to have been an arms race in that district in the last decade or so. UHigh was really shitty at football and then they weren’t. Dunham was never producing high level athletes in anything but rich white kid sports. Education in Baton Rouge is funny, the only public high school worth a damn doesn’t play football or basketball, so a lot of the private schools (normally k-12) mine the middle schools for reduced tuition and whatever and try to strike gold. Brossette and Dylan Moses were the two big guys that ushered in the current era of people thinking UHigh is some football factory, and both of them started there in 6th or 7th grade. Dunham is probably doing the same thing. 

I do think the idea of UHigh as a feeder school for LSU football is probably overrated. The school is right on the LSU campus, some kids feel like they’ve already been there, done that (speaking from experience).

Point being, Stingley is at Dunham because they probably got to him in middle school first. 

Ive heard enough. Put him in the calculator

6 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Ive heard enough. Put him in the calculator

Well sounds like Tongue might as well be. If Stingley joins that's awesome.

But I will say, I went to Columbia with a ULab girl and she says even the nicest, preppiest ULab football players turned into 100% LSU miscreants by senior year (the social acceptability of those statements isn't my problem)

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

But I will say, I went to Columbia with a ULab girl and she says even the nicest, preppiest ULab football players turned into 100% LSU miscreants by senior year (the social acceptability of those statements isn't my problem)

Pics of girl?

Edited by Machinator

2 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Our class this year isn’t going quite as I’d like but still plenty of time to put together a great class. A good year on the field would be huge, moreso for 2020 than 2019. I expect we’ll be closer to #10 overall this year, but if we can put out a better product, we could get back to top 5 in 2020 and really have a national championship talented roster for the first time in about 9 years.

Don't be a bitch amigo

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, satyanash said:

. Keep a close eye on Arizona safety Noa Pola-Gates. Texas is a serious player there. Finally, kudos to Derek Warehime. Some have questioned him, but he was instrumental in this recruitment.

Keep in mind Pola-Gates has a lot of USC relatives including Troy Polamalu. If USC decides to pursue him, that's most likely where he's going 

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

Keep in mind Pola-Gates has a lot of USC relatives including Troy Polamalu. If USC decides to pursue him, that's most likely where he's going 

Unless we beat them on the field. That might sway a few recruits. 

27 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Don't be a bitch amigo

Lulz what part of saying this could still become a great class is being a bitch? Would you say the 2019 class is going exactly as you’d like with the #2 target on our whole board being committed to aggy? Some of you fuckers who can’t handle anything but sunshine get old. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Lulz what part of saying this could still become a great class is being a bitch? Would you say the 2019 class is going exactly as you’d like with the #2 target on our whole board being committed to aggy? Some of you fuckers who can’t handle anything but sunshine get old. 

Drunk tex isn't just a sunshine pumper, but an aggressive one.

12 minutes ago, ousux said:

Uhh..

Why is that fugly as fuck practice jersey available for recruit pics? Damn..

Actually there was a blurb in an article about how much he liked those hideous things and hoped we'd wear them this season. So let's not get any ideas and tell him we don't even practice with them anymore. 

18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Drunk tex isn't just a sunshine pumper, but an aggressive one.

This man knows me. And UTL we're obvi chill. I just think people get hella bummed in spring about classes they adore in winter.

How sad are we about Max Wright and Ronnie Perkins now? We'll do fine, Giles can coach them up (pending satya's approval).

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Also Leal is probably #1 much as I love RoJo.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

LSU is going to have to look truly hapless this year for Stingley to head elsewhere. He digs Texas for sure, but they’re not going to let him leave town unless they’re flying off of a cliff. Still Stingley is not a lost cause and Texas is doing what it should. 

Tongue is a different story and he will be a huge pickup if they close him. 

Texas did what it needed to do with Leal. They’ve just got to keep playing the game. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Oh, and NOM’s dad is a surgeon and very hands on about his son. He’s the driver for ND. He’s not incredibly likely to be swayed by Kelly coming under fire. Not impossible, but they’re committing to the school. 

That's what it all sounded like. Nana gave a bunch of good quotes about going to a fun school and Dad cracked down in a way mine never could haha.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Oh, and NOM’s dad is a surgeon and very hands on about his son. He’s the driver for ND. He’s not incredibly likely to be swayed by Kelly coming under fire. Not impossible, but they’re committing to the school. 

Just curious, why is that your nickname for Nana? Are there weight issues or something?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Just curious, why is that your nickname for Nana? Are there weight issues or something?

I don’t have the spelling of his name memorized and those are his initials. It’s not something I think of as a nickname. Thought it was self-explanatory. 

You’re on some sort of quixotic quest to decipher the shade IT has subtlely thrown at NOM occasionally.  My guess is it is as simple as looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. Not everyone shares that concern. There’s not a full consensus on the player. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Arizona is ripe for the picking. Sumlin is well past his prime at 'Zona and Herm Edwards has no idea what he's doing at ASU. 

Arizona Top 47 Seniors : https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=AZ

Great Scott, Cali and Zona?  We're ravaging Pac 10 country which is ironic since USC and UCLA have been recruiting Texas.  Guess they're going to have to spend some time trying to defend their own back yards.  Recruiting is getting crazy.    

Just now, closetojumping said:

I don’t have the spelling of his name memorized and those are his initials. It’s not something I think of as a nickname. Thought it was self-explanatory. 

You’re on some sort of quixotic quest to decipher the shade IT has subtlely thrown at NOM occasionally.  My guess is it is as simple as looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. Not everyone shares that concern. There’s not a full consensus on the player. 

No, as I said I'm just dumb. In my mind he's NaNa and I forget that he has a surname.

I don't care that IT (Nahlin) is more cautious about him; I like what I see; I want him at Texas; and I'm disappointed that we're probably not getting him, though not to the extent I would be if we miss on Leal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Brutal schedule for Ogre this year.  OOC game to open year vs Miami and cross-divisional matchup is Georgia.

Hell, it wouldn't be to shocking to see aggy and LSU playing that last game with winner bowl eligible and loser stays home for bowl season.

This will be the game that aggy finally beats lsu and Jimbo gets an extension.....

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

No, as I said I'm just dumb. In my mind he's NaNa and I forget that he has a surname.

I don't care that IT (Nahlin) is more cautious about him; I like what I see; I want him at Texas; and I'm disappointed that we're probably not getting him, though not to the extent I would be if we miss on Leal.

You do great work gathering information for those of us who check this board every day. It is much appreciated. I wouldn't worry about a mistake like that. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

He continues to follow Texas commits and retweet and like pro Texas stuff; I think it speaks well for us that he followed Brayden Liebrock today.  The most interesting part about the pay site intel is that no one knows, and the narrative is being driven by Notre Dame. 

NaNa is friends with a lot of the recruits, close with some of them.  I think this is where is his heart is and his Dad is set on Notre Dame.

There was an interesting tweet that NaNa liked from his H.S. coaches wife, and it spoke about this decision not being what anyone else wants for him, it's his decision.  May have been the normal follow your heart speak, but it stood out when I read it.

13 minutes ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

He continues to follow Texas commits and retweet and like pro Texas stuff; I think it speaks well for us that he followed Brayden Liebrock today.  The most interesting part about the pay site intel is that no one knows, and the narrative is being driven by Notre Dame. 

NaNa is friends with a lot of the recruits, close with some of them.  I think this is where is his heart is and his Dad is set on Notre Dame.

There was an interesting tweet that NaNa liked from his H.S. coaches wife, and it spoke about this decision not being what anyone else wants for him, it's his decision.  May have been the normal follow your heart speak, but it stood out when I read it.

They do know. You only get that kind of CB movement when someone gives a silent commitment. You can still hold out hope that he changes his mind, but I'd bet he already told ND he was coming.

EJ after dark: Texas staff back on recruiting trail

— Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer was in Louisiana today and saw two of the best pass catchers in the country in Devonta Lee and Trey Palmer. Both have discussed making visits to Texas this summer but nothing has been schooled. Lee is high on Alabama and LSU, while Palmer is favoring LSU. Texas, however, is continuing to recruit both.

— Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington made a stop at Grayson (GA) and saw Longhorns commit Kenyatta Watson II. Washington did a tremendous job of recruiting Watson and earning a verbal pledge from him last week. Watson hopes to get back to Austin at some point in the near future.

— Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar made his way to Plano East to watch rising defensive back Tyler Owens. The three-star prospect holds offers from Baylor, Boston College, Nebraska, UCLA, Vanderbilt and others. He is one to watch.

— Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand made the rounds in Dallas and stopped by Highland Park to check in on fast-rising 2020 defensive end Prince Dorbah. He is definitely a name to keep an eye on moving forward.

Jeff Howe: Tom Herman, Texas want to 'pick the right ones' in recruiting

As far as Tom Herman is concerned, there’s nothing wrong with the current state of in-state recruiting. Even though Texas recently lost a battle with Ohio State for 2019 Lake Travis five-star wide receiver Garrett Wilson, a recent radio interview on Dallas-Fort Worth’s 105.3 The Fan saw Herman point to the dominance the Longhorns showed in the 2018 recruiting cycle as a sign of how good things are going. The cycle that ended in February saw Texas end up with 11 of the top 15 recruits in the state according to the 247Sports Composite rankings, including the state’s only two Composite five-star prospects in safeties B.J. Foster and Caden Sterns. Cornerback Jalen Green and safety DeMarvion Overshown were 247Sports five-star prospects, giving the Longhorns all four recruits from within the state who earned five-star ratings.

As good as Herman’s staff was in assembling the nation’s No. 3 overall class according to 247Sports, the head coach said things could have been even better. “We walked away from some good ones, too,” Herman said. Even though the Longhorns are holding their own in the 2019 cycle with six verbal commitments and a class that ranks 18th nationally, Herman admitted that things are different this time around.

Texas A&M, which currently has the nation’s No. 3-ranked class, has commitments from two recruits — safety Demani Richardson and defensive lineman DeMarvin Leal — considered priority targets for the Longhorns (Leal made an official visit to Texas over the weekend while the Longhorns have continued to work on Richardson). Oklahoma currently owns the nation’s second-best class and has commitments from six recruits who reported Texas offers.

Herman said the “new car smell” is a big advantage for the Aggies and new head coach Jimbo Fisher, much the same way it was for the Longhorns in Herman’s first full cycle all last spring and summer. Herman also noted that Oklahoma won the program’s 11th Big 12 title in 2017 and doesn’t appear to be slowing down under Lincoln Riley. Whether the Longhorns continue to get recruits from within the state like the three Texans making up half of the current class (Roschon Johnson, T'Vondre Sweat and Jordan Whittington) or go to places like Arizona (Brayden Liebrock), California (De'Gabriel Floyd) and Georgia (Kenyatta Watson II) to find talent doesn’t matter to Herman. The job of the Texas staff, Herman said, is to make sure the players they’re offering and taking commitments from are the right ones.

“In coaching, if you say it once you say it 1,000 times and I wish more people would listen — it really is not the ones that go to other schools that beat you,” Herman said. “A kid leaves here and goes to the Midwest, we’re never going to play him. He’s not going to beat us. It’s the ones that you take that can’t play because you only have 85 scholarships.”

The results from Herman’s first signing class — a transition class of 2017 recruits who were a mix of holdovers from the group Charlie Strong and Co. were trying to assemble and prospects Herman and a newly-assembled staff targeted on the fly — shows the current regime can indeed pick the right ones. Of the 17 members of the class, six signees (Sam Ehlinger, Toneil Carter, Gary Johnson, Derek Kerstetter, Daniel Young and Cade Brewer) started at least one game and nearly all members of the haul are in a position to play significant roles on the 2018 squad.

As is the case with most coaches when they take over a program, Herman’s focus is turning over the roster while trying to maximize every new scholarship that goes on the books. Not every recruit the Longhorns wind up signing will pan out, but Herman and the staff are doing as much work as possible to ensure there are more hits than misses since accumulating dead weight on the roster is a good way to ensure consistent gaps in talent pipelines within various positions groups. “If you take a guy that’s a cancer in the locker room, or he’s not as good as you thought he was and you misevaluate him, you’re stuck with him for four years,” Herman said. “We really want to focus on taking the right ones, and it just so happened that the right ones were right here in the state of Texas for us last year.”

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Machinator said:

Some results

Name

Height, Weight

Shuttle

Vert

Garrett Wilson
6'0-1/2, 181

Jalen Catalon 
5’9 192

Jeffery Carter. Outstanding numbers. 
6'0 180

Demani Richardson. Expected better testing after his coaches talked him up as being as fast as Reagor. Still above average for a safety. 

6'1 203

Trace Ford. Great shuttle. Wonder what the knock on him is, height? 
6'2-1/2 218

Marquez Beason. Good times, a little short though. 
5'10 174

Roschon ran poorly again at 4.81 with no shuttle or vert, but he's up to 203 pounds at 6'0-1/2. The difference between his timed speed and game speed are weird. 

Nnamdi Adim-Madamere was supposedly timed at a sub 4.5 this spring, but ran a 4.76

Bragg measured in well, 6'4 295, with a 4.76 shuttle

Dax and Stingley are freaks. Qualan Jones recently committed to Baylor, curious if they'll keep him at RB. Clemson offered TJ McDaniel way early, but he hasn't blown up yet aside from an Oregon offer. As mentioned above, Tisdale tested well and is a great athlete for the position.