Texas recruiting notes 2019

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's interesting how Perroni keeps talking up how much Bama wants Shepherd, but I'm not sure if he's even a take for them. They already have three OL committed, and are probably the favorites for Webb and Wright 

Yep.

Pumping the base up for a "big win" against Bama if they can get him. I think Shepherd likely lost his spot at Bama when he UOV A&M, because Bama wasted no time offering and getting a commit from Bowles on the spot that same weekend. With 3 OTs in the class and 4 in the last class (no SRs and 1 JR) I don't see them going 4 OTs. Anyone they take now is looking at being moved to OG day 1. 

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Yep.

Pumping the base up for a "big win" against Bama if they can get him. I think Shepherd likely lost his spot at Bama when he UOV A&M, because Bama wasted no time offering and getting a commit from Bowles on the spot that same weekend. With 3 OTs in the class and 4 in the last class (no SRs and 1 JR) I don't see them going 4 OTs. Anyone they take now is looking at being moved to OG day 1. 

I remember following the Bama sites that weekend curious to see if anything happened with Wilkins, and they were all shocked that Bowles committed because they were expecting Kamaar Bell to commit. Wilkins and Shepherd are hardly ever mentioned because Bama is basically getting its top five picks on the OL. Hell, Leal is hardly ever mentioned because they're in on so many top guys on the DL. 

27 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's interesting how Perroni keeps talking up how much Bama wants Shepherd, but I'm not sure if he's even a take for them. They already have three OL committed, and are probably the favorites for Webb and Wright 

Perroni said today it wouldn't shock him if Shepherd picked Bama', aggy, or Texas which is a far cry from his "aggy-bound" narrative recently.

Shepard's recent quotes are interesting. He said he had Bama in his top 2 and that aggy was in his top 6. Those are some specific numbers. If aggy was the other team in his top 2, why wouldn't he just say that? Why did he go all the way down to top 6?

Its because aggy isn't in his top two. And with them out, best bet for that other top 2 team would be us.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Any rationalization about not getting the top DL talent on the table in Texas, and to some extent, regionally, is going to fall flat when Texas finds itself up against programs that are recruiting better and developing just as well. 4-5 star recruits developed well, on average, win more match-ups than not against lower ranked guys, also developed well. Bama, Clemson, Ohio State - these are programs doing well are cleaning up in recruiting and developing their OL and DL talent very well.

I think people just get tired of complaining about our hypothetical future playoff losses to Ohio State, Clemson, and Bama 7 months before any DL can actually sign LOIs. It's not wrong, it's just premature.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I think people just get tired of complaining about our hypothetical future playoff losses to Ohio State, Clemson, and Bama 7 months before any DL can actually sign LOIs. It's not wrong, it's just premature.

Probably more to it than that. I think last year missing out on Tatum was big. Perkins maybe. But Osssai will do fine and while I like Hobbs better I don’t think we are hurting in any way shape or form. And Out of Carson Coburn and the 14 yr old we will be strong in the middle.. 

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Probably more to it than that. I think last year missing out on Tatum was big. Perkins maybe. But Osssai will do fine and while I like Hobbs better I don’t think we are hurting in any way shape or form. And Out of Carson Coburn and the 14 yr old we will be strong in the middle.. 

Dont forget Williams.  Herman spoke highly of him on signing day and could be a beast in 2-3 years.

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Dont forget Williams.  Herman spoke highly of him on signing day and could be a beast in 2-3 years.

Thanks. I totally forgot about him. He is smaller but probably a pretty good replacement for Tatum.

56 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Shepard's recent quotes are interesting. He said he had Bama in his top 2 and that aggy was in his top 6. Those are some specific numbers. If aggy was the other team in his top 2, why wouldn't he just say that? Why did he go all the way down to top 6?

Its because aggy isn't in his top two. And with them out, best bet for that other top 2 team would be us.

Quote, for reference (SIAP):

DcwSa3aV0AAEShR.jpg

Herman, UT staff delivered a message recently

Spring football is over, but the Texas Football staff is still doing plenty of taking in recent days. 

[IMG]

1) Over the last few days, the Texas staff has, loud and clear, delivered a message: it is a recruiting force, and it’s going nowhere. 

Sure, it’s not going to win every battle. Yes, the recruiting climate in Texas and the surrounding areas has changed some. And, of course, Texas needs to show something this fall on the field. But make no mistake, Texas, under this staff, is a perfect 10 that demands attention no matter when she shows up to the party, and no matter who is there. 

The Longhorns again proved that this weekend by doing the following: getting Texas A&M commitment and Converse Judson defensive lineman DeMarvin Leal on campus for an official visit; being named to five-star Derek Stingley, Jr.’s top three and receiver Jake Smith’s top two; receiving a commitment from Chandler (Arizona) top tight end Brayden Liebrock; Cal graduate transfer Tre Watson picked Texas over Texas Tech and gives UT a much-needed instant-impact player at running back.

All of this happened just days after Kenyatta Watson, from powerhouse Grayson in Loganville, Georgia, committed to Texas over Notre Dame. 

Yeah, this Texas staff is a force on the recruiting trail.

2) We’ll have to wait and see how Herman’s Longhorns do in 2018, but you can say this with certainty: he’s been very proactive and aggressive when it comes to plugging holes on his roster. Texas needed offensive line help, so Texas hired Herb Hand and landed Calvin Anderson. The running backs drove Herman nuts in the spring, so he added Watson and fought to keep Keaontay Ingram in the mix. 

The roster isn’t perfect, but it’s rounding into form nicely. But what could have a bigger impact on wins and losses is the hole many Texas fans see at offensive coordinator. Will Herman have to plug that with his own playcalling?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Fought to keep Keaontay Ingram in the mix? What does that mean?

4 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Nothing, it's a stupid reference to the fact that KI didn't sign in ND1

OB just recently learned that Ingram signed with Texas. They thought Texas lost him after he refused to sign on NSD1, much like University of Miami defensive tackle, Keondre Coburn.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

LSU hiring a convicted felon to run a key role within their recruiting org is delicious and hilariously stupid. Orgeron is quietly trying to burn that program down to smoky ruins.

We need to find a way to keep him in power as long as possible. Ideally one that doesn't involve losing to him (Texas has a made that a bit of a bad habit of late).

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

LSU hiring a convicted felon to run a key role within their recruiting org is delicious and hilariously stupid. Orgeron is quietly trying to burn that program down to smoky ruins.

Per the interview with Stingley’s dad, their main contacts with LSU are Coach Raymond and the liaison Ponamsky. Apparently he was hired to replace Austin Thomas in the Carrington role.

Ponamsky:

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2011/02/river_pilot_pleads_guilty_to_f.html

A Baton Rouge man has pleaded guilty to a charge he used a fraudulent Coast Guard license to work as a pilot on the Mississippi River.

Thirty-six-year-old Dereck Ponamsky faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine following his guilty plea Thursday. His sentencing is set for May 17.

Federal prosecutors say Ponamsky altered his Coast Guard license to include a "first class pilot endorsement" to which he wasn't entitled. He used the altered license to work as a pilot for the New Orleans-Baton Rouge Steamship Pilots Association from June 2005 until February 2008.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Luckily, his selfishness wasn't putting anyone's life in danger. Good lord.

Yeah, trust this guy, and the fucking clown who hired him, to shepherd your child through the next 3-5 years of his impressionable life. Only in Louisiana. Only a truly miserable piece of shit place would be able to brush aside that kind of decision-making from the person and his boss; and support his ability to be around to influence young men leaving high school and entering society.