Texas recruiting notes 2019

I love the commentary.

[Guy] We need some football stats to talk about in between plays.

[Guy] Cole that is your job.

[cole] 90% of dead people are dead.

[guy] What about zombies?

[cole] I didn't think about that.

[guy] Where would you go?

[cole] I don't know probably my house.

[guy] But that is the first place that the zombies would look. 

[cole] I guess I would run away

[guy] jake could run away a from zombies.

• Like 2

I am sitting in a bar in a tiny town in the deep woods of Northern Minnesota listening to a drunken barroom crowd sing "Family Tradition"  at the top of their lungs and all I can say is that I am very, very excited about the recruits that  Tom Herman and coaches are bringing in.  If we give this coaching staff another couple of years, this rocket ship will blast off and rock the world of college football. 

• Like 2

947569.png
EJ after dark: Thoughts on UT commit Owens

— I saw four-star Plano East defensive back Tyler Owens in 7v7, a summer practice and a private workout, and he looked the part of an intriguing high-level athlete. Tonight, he showed that the recent hype is real. Owens is more than just a ball of clay ready to be molded, he’s a damn good football player. The Texas commit checked the box in every facet of the game as he notched several tackles and came away with a key interception in the first half. This was a great evaluation by the Texas staff as Owens has the potential to be the best in-state defensive back in this cycle when it’s all said and done.

— Texas signed DeMarvion Overshown last cycle, and he was considered a five-star candidate. Both are somewhat similar, but Owens is actually further along at this point than Overshown was when I saw him in-game this season. While Overshown has a bit more size on Owens, the newest Texas commit is a  better pure safety. He showed great natural instincts tonight and his work with Coach Flight, who helped produce Caden Sterns and Josh Thompson, is paying off. Owens has also elevated his level of physicality and is just as impressive as Overshown in that regard — at least from an in-game eval. His closing speed is absolutely insane.

So were there any negatives? I mean, it’s tough to really list any. I came into this game expecting Owens to be more raw from a coverage standpoint, but he was a leader on the back end and didn’t make very many mistakes. He can continue to work on his hips and overall technique, but Texas should be very happy with his progression. It’s like he’s getting better every week. Owens can also learn to wrap up more often instead of always going for a kill shot. Overall, there is a lot to like about Owens, and it’s clear the big bump he got was warranted. Owens is at his best in pads, which is scary considering his testing numbers.

Edited by cdain3

6 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I am sitting in a bar in a tiny town in the deep woods of Northern Minnesota listening to a drunken barroom crowd sing "Family Tradition"  at the top of their lungs and all I can say is that I am very, very excited about the recruits that  Tom Herman and coaches are bringing in.  If we give this coaching staff another couple of years, this rocket ship will blast off and rock the world of college football. 

What town?

8 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Are Dauber and Luther with you?  

• Like 4

Caught Liebrock’s game last night against Perry and he had more than a few nice catches, mostly lined up outside. When he was used inline, he seemed an adequate and willing blocker. He’ll need a redshirt year to put on some weight, but he’s going to make one hell of a TE.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, billy_bats said:

Caught Liebrock’s game last night against Perry and he had more than a few nice catches, mostly lined up outside. When he was used inline, he seemed an adequate and willing blocker. He’ll need a redshirt year to put on some weight, but he’s going to make one hell of a TE.

Great thing is we can afford to redshirt both TE prospects coming in. We finally have some depth and talent at that position.