Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

I think there's a lot of moving parts with Cain. 

LSU just landed Ray Parker. I think they are going to land Sophser too. That means LSU would have 6/7 top recruits in Louisiana committed. There will be a lot of pressure in state for Emery to flip from Georgia so I would not rule out a flip. 

Is Cain still going to LSU if they land another 5 star RB? 

Edited by texasstrong12

The Stampede: UT leaving lasting impact with new offer method

In this age of recruiting, schools are looking to do anything they can to stand out in front of recruits. The Texas staff is always trying to be on the cutting edge of recruiting, and they are succeeding with their new offer strategy. Many prospects described being offered by Tom Herman at midfield over the last few weeks. This is a concerted effort to make more of an impactful statement when extending an offer. In speaking to a number of prospects who were offered this way, the effort is working. “Being offered by Coach Herman on the field before the game is something I’ll remember forever,” Katy Taylor offensive lineman Hayden Conner said.

There’s a different energy on the field before a big game, and the Texas staff is using that energy to build a crescendo to the offer. This takes the usual in-office moment to a new level. “It made me feel really good that they wanted to offer me before the game on the field,” Katy Taylor offensive lineman Bryce Foster said. “It made me feel like they really wanted me. It was an offer to remember.” San Antonio offensive lineman Logan Parr shared similar sentiments. “Being offered at mid-field by Coach Herman thirty minutes before kick off with the stadium starting to fill in is something I will never forget,” Parr said.

Trying to put a new spin on an old idea can be difficult, but the Texas recruiting staff have shown time and again that they are able to adjust on the fly and add new wrinkles to keep the experience fresh. (Roach)

The newest member of the 2019 Texas recruiting class has the makings of a monster. At 6-foot-2, 202 pounds with insane testing numbers, four-star Plano East safety Tyler Owens has been one of the biggest risers in the recruiting rankings, and it’s not hard to see why. Owens has elevated his physicality this season, and his track times are translating well to the field. “The things that stand out more about him are his size and speed,” said elite defensive back trainer Christian Whiteaka Coach Flight. “His physicality is incredible. He is running through guys. At safety, you have to be involved in the run game, and he’s coming up and making physical contact. I’ve seen some play where he is 12 yards deep, and he’s coming up and making plays in the backfield. It’s crazy how much ground he’s covering.”

Owens was thought to be a ball of clay waiting to be molded, but his offseason work with White is paying off as evidenced by his improved technique in pass coverage. Owens now looks like a pure safety. But his work with White will continue this spring before he heads to Texas. “We’re still cleaning up some things technique wise like his backpedal,” White said. “He’s killing it with his athleticism coming out of breaks, but that needs to needs to be cleaner at the next level.”

White has trained Texas defensive backs like Caden Sterns and Josh Thompson and is very familiar with the Longhorns’ scheme. So where does he see Owens fitting in on the Forty Acres? “Right away, I think he can be a BJ Foster type of guy,” White said. “I think he’ll eventually move to that joker role and be their enforcer in the middle of the field. His ability to cover ground is incredible, so teams won’t want to throw over the middle.”

Owens committed to Texas over offers from Baylor, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, UCLA, Vanderbilt and others. Owens is ranked as the No. 5 safety and No. 74 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. (Holland)

The race for 2020 is on, and both Texas and A&M are trying to plant their flag in-state. Both programs are already engaging in hotly-contested battles for the state’s top prospects. One of those prospects is Cibolo Steele cornerback Jaylon Jones. Jones exploded over the spring and picked up offers from nearly every major program in the country. Both A&M and Texas offered in the spring, and Jones has been to both campuses multiple times. Jones was blown away by the atmosphere at Kyle Field when he visited for the Aggies’ close loss to Clemson. There were whispers that the Aggies were close to landing the talented cornerback, but Texas swung the momentum after hosting Jones for their win over USC.

While in Cibolo to see Jones in action, I had the opportunity to speak with Jaylon, his parents and a number of other sources at Steele. It’s true that the Jones family really enjoyed their visit to College Station, and the Aggies are a huge contender in his recruitment. Talks of him shutting things down at that time appear to be premature. This is a recruitment where the entire family is involved in the decision, and they plan to take their time to thoroughly evaluate their options. Jones is close to releasing a top five, and both in-state rivals will definitely make the cut. Florida is another team who will make the cut, and Jones plans to visit next week to see the Gators take on LSU. Jones has family ties to the Jacksonville area, and he’s always had an interest in that program.

So how does this play out long term? Texas winning three in a row definitely helps, and if the Longhorns keep winning it only makes the job easier. They also have a couple of aces up their sleeve. Cornerbacks coach Jason Washington is the lead recruiter here, and he’s putting in fantastic work. Jones describes Washington as a second father figure, and his parents are extremely comfortable with Washington being the man to lead him over the next few years. In fact, I think if the family has a preference, it’s Texas. Jones will be allowed to make his own decision, but that does play a factor.

The other ace they have is Caden Sterns. Jones’ former teammate is on a tear in his first year on campus, and Jones is taking notice. Sterns can play the role of a vocal recruiter, but his play on the field is making the bigger impact. Jones is seeing someone who was in his place a year ago succeed on the field each week, and he’s taking notice. Jones does not know when he will decide, but the Longhorns should be a player until the end. Florida and Texas A&M will be tough to hold off, but Washington is up to the task. I was told that those three schools were standing out at the top of his list, but the Longhorns appear to have a slight edge from the vibe I got in Cibolo. (Roach)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

I think it was a case of the kid really liking Texas, but like in a lot of cases going where mom's leaning. I think Bragg really liked Texas, 995s probably underestimated mom a bit. That became clear at the end. 

Surly knows never underestimate Mom....

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Could we get an updated list of the players not currently committed but seem likely to be Texas Longhorns?

I've got:

Marcus Washington WR

Rodas Johnson DT

Jalen Catalon DB

Deondrik Glass RB (assuming we miss out on Sanders/Cain)

Any interior OL we're waiting on?   Anyone else I forgot?

Not sure Rodas Johnson or Glass belong in this category yet.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Could we get an updated list of the players not currently committed but seem likely to be Texas Longhorns?

I've got:

Marcus Washington WR

Rodas Johnson DT

Jalen Catalon DB

Deondrik Glass RB (assuming we miss out on Sanders/Cain)

Any interior OL we're waiting on?   Anyone else I forgot?

Rodas Johnson is getting a lot of traction to Wisconsin, recently.

• Like 1

Still kind of surprised that there hasn't been any buzz about Gabriel Hall out of Waller. I know I've mentioned him a couple of times, but his offer list is  whose who developmental staffs (Fat Pat at TCU, Whittington at Utah, Rhule at Baylor, Frost at Nebraska,  MacIntyre at Colorado - only seems to be missing Peterson at Washington). Seems like a Christian Jones kind of guy to keep warm.

https://247sports.com/Player/Gabriel-Hall-46053041/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Does anyone remember which of our guys in the 2018 cycle were 'late-risers' that we appeared to get in on after the HS season had concluded (other than Ojomo)?

Christian Jones, Mike Williams. Of the guys we actually landed.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Can't remember, but was Mike Williams a late offer?  Also Christian Jones.

He was offered late in the game, I think around the same time as the kid from Boling who committed to agroid thinking he would get to tote the rock (of course, things changed for him even before the ink dried on his commitment). 

1 minute ago, Scholz said:

Wonder if he's better than Kyle Porter.  Those Katy RBs seem to be used cars by the time they get to college.

At Katy he absolutely has been. Glass has been getting buzz at Katy for years, even back when he was an underclassman and Porter was still playing there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

Couldn't see us landing another Katy RB after Porter's use during his time here.

Why? He got all the chances in the world and plenty of positive mentions from coaches despite sucking out loud. As a high school coach, that's all you can ask for for your players.

Edited by texifornia

49 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Still kind of surprised that there hasn't been any buzz about Gabriel Hall out of Waller. I know I've mentioned him a couple of times, but his offer list is  whose who developmental staffs (Fat Pat at TCU, Whittington at Utah, Rhule at Baylor, Frost at Nebraska,  MacIntyre at Colorado - only seems to be missing Peterson at Washington). Seems like a Christian Jones kind of guy to keep warm.

https://247sports.com/Player/Gabriel-Hall-46053041/

I’ve been mentioning him since early in the cycle for the same reasons. He could be a damned good OL at the next level, also. He’s allegedly one of the guys they’re looking at more closely. 

15 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Their inability to run with a returning 2K back and the OL they have recruited is alarming.

Walker Little has been meh to bad when I've watched Stanford. He's still only a Sophomore but I don't think it's a guarantee at all that he's going to be a NFL caliber type tackle like some were predicting. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

One of these years the Katy curse will be lifted. Maybe it’s him.

Remember Adam Taylor? Absolutely destroyed Cedar Hill's defense in the state championship, then went to Nebraska and vanished. Joey McGuire said after the game that he hadn't seen anyone like Taylor in his 19 years of coaching.

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Walker Little has been meh to bad when I've watched Stanford. He's still only a Sophomore but I don't think it's a guarantee at all that he's going to be a NFL caliber type tackle like some were predicting. 

Little is the exact same player now that he was in high school.  No development that I've seen.  Also not a huge change in his body/frame (either he's athletically topped out or he's not putting in the level of work). I think Carberry has done a shit job in his first year with a line full of talent, he's certainly not Bloomgren. 

• Like 1

Yea I get the feeling that the Katy offense and OL specifically is an experienced well oiled machine that outclasses their opponents with sound strategy and maxed out athletes. The Katy area recruits always seem to flame out at the next level, which is why it doesn't bother me when most of them go Aggy.

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve been mentioning him since early in the cycle for the same reasons. He could be a damned good OL at the next level, also. He’s allegedly one of the guys they’re looking at more closely. 

Same exact thought here. Give me giant skinny athletes that turn into men. On that note, that's one (of what is turning into many) reason I'm not as high on Shepherd. 346 is just too much. Very little chance that a kid from North Forest loses weight with a college nutrition program.

13 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Same exact thought here. Give me giant skinny athletes that turn into men. On that note, that's one (of what is turning into many) reason I'm not as high on Shepherd. 346 is just too much. Very little chance that a kid from North Forest loses weight with a college nutrition program.

Especially with this S & C staff.  However, if you have the belief in Yancy to be able to add good muscle, then I think you need to extend him the same benefit of the doubt to get rid of bad weight.  

Luckily, (knock on wood) he can RS and starts checking in after 2 years in the program. 

7 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Especially with this S & C staff.  However, if you have the belief in Yancy to be able to add good muscle, then I think you need to extend him the same benefit of the doubt to get rid of bad weight.  

Luckily, (knock on wood) he can RS and starts checking in after 2 years in the program. 

It's more a comment on Shepherd having access to a training table. Have no doubt S&C can pull the weight off. It's execution of the plan in which I have little faith. Coaches only make up part of that equation. * Long story short, I don't expect Shepherd to maximize whether he comes here or not.I hope for the kid's sake that I'm proven wrong.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

6 hours ago, utexas8 said:

I remember early in his recruitment maybe spring or even earlier IT kept saying if Texas pushed he’d be a longhorn. Also made other references that Texas was slow playing him. Not like there was better options but they weren’t pushing/rushing him. Idk exact wording but they made it sound like he could’ve been a longhorn a long time ago.

He was all Texas in the fall and early spring, until he visited Stanford and hung out with Walker Little for a day. Then he came back and was asking people how he could turn down an opportunity like Stanford if he got in 

Up to 19 recruits with Gbenda.  Finish with:

WR - M.Washington

OL - 2 or 3 more interior players (3 or 4 including OT if J.Shepherd skips)

DE - 2 more (possibly jucos or grad transfers)

DT - 1 nose

LB - 1 more out of S.Cooper/C.Johnson/L.Henry

S - 1 more of J.Catalon/L.Cine 

Edited by Scholz

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Does anyone remember which of our guys in the 2018 cycle were 'late-risers' that we appeared to get in on after the HS season had concluded (other than Ojomo)?

Here are some of the other late offers we had that we didn't take / didn't want to come here:

Kaitori Leveston (OL, offered November 20, signed with KSU)

Jarrett Jackson (DE,  offered November 26, signed with Lousiville)

Jahmir Johnson (JUCO OL, offered November 30, signed with Tennessee)

Craig Williams (APB, offered December 11, signed with Baylor)

Noah Banks (JUCO OL, offered December 11, signed with Florida)

Levon Livingston (JUCO OL, offered December 10, signed with SMU)

Jacobi Lott (OL, offered December 19, signed with KU)

Courtre Alexander (DE, offered December 17, signed with Arkansas)

Lawrence Keys (WR, offered December 20, signed with Notre Dame)

Tyree Wilson (DE, offered January 6, signed with A&M)

Jashaun Corbin (APB, offered January 12, signed with A&M)

Johncarlo Valentin (JUCO OL, offered January 12, signed with Baylor) - I think we offered this guy in the middle of his Baylor visit

Vernon Jackson (ATH, offered January 12, signed with A&M)

Andrew Parker (LB, offered January 26, signed with Arkansas)

There was also the DE Caleb Okechukwu who we may or may not have offered, ended up at Syracuse.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Up to 19 recruits with Gbenda.  Finish with:

WR - M.Washington

OL - 2 or 3 more interior players (3 or 4 including OT if J.Shepherd skips)

DE - 2 more (possibly jucos or grad transfers)

DT - 1 nose

LB - 1 more out of S.Cooper/C.Johnson/L.Henry

S - 1 more of J.Catalon/L.Cine 

Aren't we at 18 with Gbenda?