Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Anyone know if Jamison is expected to move back to Nickel next year after the arrival of Whittington and Smith?

The coaches are discussing it. Beck, Meh and Herman like his speed and quickness on offense. Meanwhile Navier, Washington, and Orlando like him on defense. And there will be a bigger need on defense with graduation. But, they will leave it up to Jamison and see how it plays out in the spring.

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

The coaches are discussing it. Beck, Meh and Herman like his speed and quickness on offense. Meanwhile Navier, Washington, and Orlando like him on defense. And there will be a bigger need on defense with graduation. But, they will leave it up to Jamison and see how it plays out in the spring.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Can someone provide additional insight on this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

No way! 

Just now, ousux said:
20 hours ago, Hanrahan said:
Jones is not going to the nfl this year. Dude is just blipping the radar. Going to need to see a lot more.

The same was said about Elliott and Hollywood this time last year.."they're just now having good seasons" etc etc..

Holton Hill is kind of a different case, given that he was suspended for like half the year.

And almost everyone has agreed (in fact, Elliott himself might agree) that Deshon shouldn't have gone pro.

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

When does transfer sign-up list come out under the new rules??

Some time in October is what I remember...... this shit gonna get crazy

🙄 🤣😨

Found it..... Oct 15th

"

"College athletes will be allowed to transfer without the permission of the university or coach, and the school will be obligated to enter the athlete's name in a national transfer database within two business days.

Transfer rules for college athletes are changing. 

Once a name is in the database, any coach can contact that athlete. Previously, athletes had to receive permission from their current school to be contacted by another school before they could receive another scholarship. 

The rule change, which begins Oct. 15, applies to all Division I sports, but will mostly affect the high-revenue sports of football and men's basketball. One significant caveat is that major NCAA conferences can still implement rules that are more restrictive than the national rule. "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/06/13/ncaa-transfer-redshirt-rule-major-impact-college-football/698734002/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Will be interesting to see if there are any grad transfer transfer OL options. I could see us being in the market for a solid tackle and maybe also a center.

I’ve said it before, but the OL depth next year, prior to 2019 signees arriving is concerning. Consider that Hudson is unlikely to play again, Urquidez never playing and Shackleford never leaving the training table, and you’ve got like 11 after that. Johnson is 12. You need a couple of interior signees and probably a JUCO and a grad transfer to feel comfortable. If Shepherd somehow stays and signs, nothing I’ve posted changes. Shepherd is a luxury who will be a major project with a massive bust probability attached to him. 

The good news is that I think the GT market will be robust and good programs showing stability will be magnets for them. We win 9+ and that’s us. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve said it before, but the OL depth next year, prior to 2019 signees arriving is concerning. Consider that Hudson is unlikely to play again, Urquidez never playing and Shackleford never leaving the training table, and you’ve got like 11 after that. Johnson is 12. You need a couple of interior signees and probably a JUCO and a grad transfer to feel comfortable. If Shepherd somehow stays and signs, nothing I’ve posted changes. Shepherd is a luxury who will be a major project with a massive bust probability attached to him. 

The good news is that I think the GT market will be robust and good programs showing stability will be magnets for them. We win 9+ and that’s us. 

Why will Hudson be a non factor?

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

As of right now, which positions do you envision us dipping into the transfer market, whether it be JUCO or graduate transfer?

I would like us to find immediate contributors at LB, C, OT for sure. Maybe Kerstetter gets the hang of center and we could pick up a swing/interior guy without specifically focusing on someone who can snap the gotdamn football

Then, considering Carter is as good as gone and the bottom half of our potentially returning RB depth chart is filler/oft-injured, I wouldn't mind picking someone up at that position again so we aren't relying on just Ingram/Young until the freshmen are brought along. Watson was such a great get. This is obviously null and void if we pick up an elite stud such as Sanders or Cain.

My more outlandish takes: if Leitao doesn't progress significantly this season, I wouldn't mind picking up a grad transfer TE to pair with Brewer, even though we project to have 5 TEs on campus next June. Also, I'm wondering what our plan is at nickel to back up Josh Thompson. Obviously Jamison is a likely candidate to move back full-time to defense, but spending time on offense may have set back his development on the other side of the ball. One option is for the coaches to cross-train someone like Foster to play nickel, but I would not be opposed to picking up an experienced cornerback so that we don't run the risk of playing an underclassman at a position that's crucial to the defense and also has a bit of a learning curve.

• Like 1

Are you insinuating the grades may not be there?

I’ve said it before, but guys who get in fist fights with their coaches and who play “look at me” games about the recruitment on Twitter and who come in with a shit ton of bad weight have a low probability of success and it wouldn’t surprise me to see the staff nudge him toward aggy.

29 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

Why will Hudson be a non factor?

More than just not being able to stay healthy, guys who overheat once are more at risk at overheating in the future. He should transfer to Minnesota or Washington, seriously, if he wants to keep playing and avoid the risk as best he can. 

26 minutes ago, Machinator said:

As of right now, which positions do you envision us dipping into the transfer market, whether it be JUCO or graduate transfer?

I would like us to find immediate contributors at LB, C, OT for sure. Maybe Kerstetter gets the hang of center and we could pick up a swing/interior guy without specifically focusing on someone who can snap the gotdamn football

Then, considering Carter is as good as gone and the bottom half of our potentially returning RB depth chart is filler/oft-injured, I wouldn't mind picking someone up at that position again so we aren't relying on just Ingram/Young until the freshmen are brought along. Watson was such a great get. This is obviously null and void if we pick up an elite stud such as Sanders or Cain.

My more outlandish takes: if Leitao doesn't progress significantly this season, I wouldn't mind picking up a grad transfer TE to pair with Brewer, even though we project to have 5 TEs on campus next June. Also, I'm wondering what our plan is at nickel to back up Josh Thompson. Obviously Jamison is a likely candidate to move back full-time to defense, but spending time on offense may have set back his development on the other side of the ball. One option is for the coaches to cross-train someone like Foster to play nickel, but I would not be opposed to picking up an experienced cornerback so that we don't run the risk of playing an underclassman at a position that's crucial to the defense and also has a bit of a learning curve.

They’re not worried about Tackle. The projects are progressing and they like Cosmi, Okafor and Kerstetter, not to mention Johnson as a future starter. That doesn’t mean they’d pass on an OT who can plug and play. 

The priority will be interior, across all three spots. I expect at least one GT for one of these 3 spots. 

If LJH and CJ are gone, the 6th WR in to arrive on campus might be a GT. Frankly, I think they take 6 and all are HS players if they’re winning and land Washington and Higgins. They’d take McCoy too, even if it meant a year+ at WR, but he’s such a low probability recruit. 

Apparently Gbenda is it unless Henry or Cooper really show up and want to come on board. 

They might look JUCO or GT at any spot on the d-line. As we know, they’re already doing that, but might scrape harder, I guess. 

Haven’t heard shit about TE or TB. 

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Interesting. No confidence on that Caleb Johnson kid? I like what we've got but we could always use some more speed.

I think Johnson and Henry are real possibilities. Pruitt is a good DC but his team is a mess. It would be unsurprising to see recruits waver on their commitment to Tennessee. With Johnson, if UT really wants him and if UT finishes strong, losing him to Iowa State would be embarrassing.

Just now, Bevo said:

I think Johnson and Henry are real possibilities. Pruitt is a good DC but his team is a mess. It would be unsurprising to see recruits waver on their commitment to Tennessee. With Johnson, if UT really wants him and if UT finishes strong, losing him to Iowa State would be embarrassing.

Tennessee may lose a recruit or two, but from what I've heard about Pruitt, he will make sure that class stays together, one way or another.