Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Just now, Machinator said:

Tennessee may lose a recruit or two, but from what I've heard about Pruitt, he will make sure that class stays together, one way or another.

Yeah, no doubt he cheats. All the Alabama proteges cheat. But, Tennessee is a mess. Their hiring of a head coach was one of the most screwed up processes I have ever seen: Schiano's offer was withdrawn because of a fan revolt, Leach was almost hired but Davenport wouldn't allow Currie to make the decision, Currie was fired, and then Davenport was fired. So, there is questionable faculty support and given their performance on the field, there is little fan support. I have my doubts whether big money donors want to waste their money to buy players for a coach who may be a dead man walking. So in summary, a losing record could cause a lot of problems for Pruitt.

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, no doubt he cheats. All the Alabama proteges cheat. But, Tennessee is a mess. Their hiring of a head coach was one of the most screwed up processes I have ever seen: Schiano's offer was withdrawn because of a fan revolt, Leach was almost hired but Davenport wouldn't allow Currie to make the decision, Currie was fired, and then Davenport was fired. So, there is questionable faculty support and given their performance on the field, there is little fan support. I have my doubts whether big money donors want to waste their money to buy players for a coach who may be a dead man walking. So in summary, a losing record could cause a lot of problems for Pruitt.

Sure, but it was known by pretty much everyone that this was going to be a Year 0 for Tennessee.

21 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Interesting. No confidence on that Caleb Johnson kid? I like what we've got but we could always use some more speed.

You know how this shit goes. I’m not confident in what anyone does if they get into a feeding frenzy. Right now, I stick with Gbenda but I wouldn’t be shocked or bothered by someone like Johnson either. 

53 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

More than just not being able to stay healthy, guys who overheat once are more at risk at overheating in the future. He should transfer to Minnesota or Washington, seriously, if he wants to keep playing and avoid the risk as best he can. 

They’re not worried about Tackle. The projects are progressing and they like Cosmi, Okafor and Kerstetter, not to mention Johnson as a future starter. That doesn’t mean they’d pass on an OT who can plug and play. 

The priority will be interior, across all three spots. I expect at least one GT for one of these 3 spots. 

If LJH and CJ are gone, the 6th WR in to arrive on campus might be a GT. Frankly, I think they take 6 and all are HS players if they’re winning and land Washington and Higgins. They’d take McCoy too, even if it meant a year+ at WR, but he’s such a low probability recruit. 

Apparently Gbenda is it unless Henry or Cooper really show up and want to come on board. 

They might look JUCO or GT at any spot on the d-line. As we know, they’re already doing that, but might scrape harder, I guess. 

Haven’t heard shit about TE or TB. 

What about Maryland?

18 minutes ago, Bevo said:

True. But did fans think they were going to suck this much?

I don't know enough Tennessee fans to determine that. But I like to think they have a contingent of supporters that saw their roster, looked at the schedule, and realized they were in for a world of hurt this season. These next four weeks are brutal for them: at Georgia, at Auburn, at Alabama, at South Carolina.

Edited by Machinator

34 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Hope for 2019 grad transfer help for OL, LB, DL and maybe WR/TE..... The 2019 Horns Defense will be young due to player losses on DL & LB for sure....

So far this year there hasn't been a big drop off between the starting and backup DL. Mix of starters disappointing and backups being better than expected. If we get tight on schollies I don't see it as a pressing need for a GT. 

6 hours ago, Machinator said:

I don't know enough Tennessee fans to determine that. But I like to think they have a contingent of supporters that saw their roster, looked at the schedule, and realized they were in for a world of hurt this season. These next four weeks are brutal for them: at Georgia, at Auburn, at Alabama, at South Carolina.

Money talks, but when Tennessee is staring at 2-6, I get the feeling that Lakia Henry might want to take a look at Texas.

7 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

So far this year there hasn't been a big drop off between the starting and backup DL. Mix of starters disappointing and backups being better than expected. If we get tight on schollies I don't see it as a pressing need for a GT. 

Valid...... just would like a quicker grad-transfer version of Roach that plays a LB/DE role. Roach needs to be DL only due to his size.  Really need a better speed rusher for 2019 Team.

Edited by LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Valid...... just would like a quicker grad-transfer version of Roach that plays a LB/DE role.  Need a better speed rusher for 2019 Team.

A better speed rusher would be great, but keep in mind that our defense uses DEs to maintain a gap so the linebackers can clean up. Thus, don't expect big sack numbers from the DEs.

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Valid...... just would like a quicker grad-transfer version of Roach that plays a LB/DE role.  Need a better speed rusher for 2019 Team.

His name is Malcolm Roach. And if hes smart (and we are lucky) he realizes hes playing out of position, takes a redshirt season, and comes back next year to play full time on the dline and up his draft stock significantly. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bevo said:

A better speed rusher would be great, but keep in mind that our defense uses DEs to maintain a gap so the linebackers can clean up. Thus, don't expect big sack numbers from the DEs.

Understand, but on passing downs we sometimes use 4 man fronts, and right now none of our Dlineman are getting sacks...... Could be a big problem against better passing teams like BlowU, WVU, Tech and possibly Okie Lite.  Need a better pass rush.... thank God DB's are so talented.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

His name is Malcolm Roach. And if hes smart (and we are lucky) he realizes hes playing out of position, takes a redshirt season, and comes back next year to play full time on the dline and up his draft stock significantly. 

IMO Roach needs to lose 20lbs and go to LB

• Like 1

On 9/24/2018 at 8:07 PM, BornAndRaised said:

Won't numbers start to get tight at DB? with the haul we brought in last year, and then you had a haul of

Watson
Owens 
Adimora

Now it looks like we lead for Catalon, and maybe even Cine down the stretch? It's a good problem to have, just curious how it shakes out.

DBs on Roster Table for comparison:

a7bbb7018e.png

full Roster Table:

Spoiler

656510332f.png

32 minutes ago, NoName said:

DBs on Roster Table for comparison:

a7bbb7018e.png

full Roster Table:

Hide contents

656510332f.png

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Plus Estell has an even worse injury track record than Pat Hudson. 

For whatever reason, Caldwell wasn’t listed, but he’s a corner. Jamison is heading over in the spring. I think they land Catalon and doubt they land someone else. Regardless, top 400 DBs filling out the back end of a depth chart and roster is the most optimized way to build a roster. Especially if some can put on hybrid weight, like Overshown and Owens. You wind up with tremendous talent on special teams and injury-proof your riskiest roles in a pass happy era. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

More than just not being able to stay healthy, guys who overheat once are more at risk at overheating in the future. He should transfer to Minnesota or Washington, seriously, if he wants to keep playing and avoid the risk as best he can.

Problem runs deeper than that, actually. I saw a documentary on high mountain climbers about a decade ago where they were discussing temperature regulation, and how some folk have it, and some don't. The danger for those who don't goes both ways -- they overheat when exercising without appropriate cooling (perspiration evaporation is not available for climbers in parkas any more than it is for football players in 80% humidity), but they also run a greater risk of hypothermia when encountering cold weather.

No knock on the young man, but he really needs to get a desk job in a mild climate, and call it a day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Problem runs deeper than that, actually. I saw a documentary on high mountain climbers about a decade ago where they were discussing temperature regulation, and how some folk have it, and some don't. The danger for those who don't goes both ways -- they overheat when exercising without appropriate cooling (perspiration evaporation is not available for climbers in parkas any more than it is for football players in 80% humidity), but they also run a greater risk of hypothermia when encountering cold weather.

No knock on the young man, but he really needs to get a desk job in a mild climate, and call it a day.

Username checks out....🖖

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Dude has had a star-crossed life since finishing his senior football season in HS. His HS head coach was Briles roommate at some point and literally hid the guy leading up to signing day. That guy is a piece of human shit and I wish I could remember his name. Then Briles gets lit on fire for knowingly running a rape factory and covering it up. Then he gets out of that deal and comes to Texas. Then he’s hurt every time he gets close to playing. Then Chuckles Strong gets shown the door. More injuries. Now a life threatening heat stroke that might end his career before it ever really got going. I hope he graduates and makes the most of a high quality degree. At least he won’t have Baylor toilet paper as his diploma. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Dude has had a star-crossed life since finishing his senior football season in HS. His HS head coach was Briles roommate at some point and literally hid the guy leading up to signing day. That guy is a piece of human shit and I wish I could remember his name. 

Bobby McGallion.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Understand, but on passing downs we sometimes use 4 man fronts, and right now none of our Dlineman are getting sacks...... Could be a big problem against better passing teams like BlowU, WVU, Tech and possibly Okie Lite.  Need a better pass rush.... thank God DB's are so talented.

I think you'll see the pash rush pick up a little more as guys like McCulloch, Bimage, and Ossai get more opportunity (and in Bimage/Ossai's case, experience).

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Well shit. Sounds like he needs to look into Cal or Stanford then. 

In all seriousness, hope the kid can avoid anymore of these situations, and if that means giving up football, so be it. 

16 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

He sat on the bench his freshman year. So, you are correct.

Go back to your nap.  Malcolm Roach played the Fox for Strong and had a great FR year posting 8 TFL and 3 sacks.  The Fox in Strong's D was a standup DE who played in space, often dropping.  We've tried moving him closer to the ball and that's not suiting his strengths, he has said as much.

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Like 2

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/09/open-post-wednesday-september-26th/

Texas Makes a Move | Lewis Cine Update
– Super K

This past weekend, fans got a chance to see just what having elite defensive backs can do to change a game. 2019 4-star DB, Lewis Cine got a chance to see it as well.

Cine took an unofficial visit to Texas this past weekend where he saw some things he hadn’t seen before, “I got the feeling of the game environment. That was the first time I got to see a game, to see them in action. The defense was going wild and making play after play after play. And mind you, it was young guys making plays.”

Cine continued, “So, that tells me that I can come in and contribute early”.

This wasn’t Cines’ first visit to Texas. When he moved to Texas last spring he made an unofficial visit to Texas and then followed that up with a summer official visit but he says, “This was the best visit to Texas, so far. I saw great things yesterday”.

Prior to his visit Cine told us that he had a top three of Georgia, Penn State and Texas. However, reading between the lines it felt Georgia and Penn State were the clear favorites. However, if that was the case before, it might not be anymore, “Texas is in there too. Definitely in the mix. They do have a real chance, now”.

Cine’s family lives in Boston so we talked about distance and he said that whether he goes to Penn State, Georgia or Texas, his family is still going to be far away. Penn State is obviously closer but it’s still nearly 450 miles away and New England traffic ain’t no joke. Add to it the fact that Cine says he likes the state of Texas and he likes warm weather, the Longhorns may have some additional advantages in this one.

Cine will take his final official visit in early October when he gets out to Gainesville to see the Gators play. He says, “after that I’ll be ready to make a decision pretty quick”.

***Javonne Shepherd let me know that he is back with his team at North Forest and is expected to play in the next game.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

For whatever reason, Caldwell wasn’t listed, but he’s a corner. Jamison is heading over in the spring. I think they land Catalon and doubt they land someone else. Regardless, top 400 DBs filling out the back end of a depth chart and roster is the most optimized way to build a roster. Especially if some can put on hybrid weight, like Overshown and Owens. You wind up with tremendous talent on special teams and injury-proof your riskiest roles in a pass happy era. 

you don't think Watson sticks?

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Found it..... Oct 15th

"

"College athletes will be allowed to transfer without the permission of the university or coach, and the school will be obligated to enter the athlete's name in a national transfer database within two business days.

Transfer rules for college athletes are changing. 

Once a name is in the database, any coach can contact that athlete. Previously, athletes had to receive permission from their current school to be contacted by another school before they could receive another scholarship. 

The rule change, which begins Oct. 15, applies to all Division I sports, but will mostly affect the high-revenue sports of football and men's basketball. One significant caveat is that major NCAA conferences can still implement rules that are more restrictive than the national rule. "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/06/13/ncaa-transfer-redshirt-rule-major-impact-college-football/698734002/

Think it could hit Texas too.  There will be more assistant coaches, trainers, family members and boosters tampering with young players.  Think about it, if you're a trainer, you could potentially get paid twice for the same player.  

Why are you riding pine over there when you could be starting here?  The coaches don't respect your ability and your family needs you now, not later.  

Don't think it won't happen.  Some programs are already willing to take in booted players with law infractions.  Just think this is new untapped recruiting territory. 

Edited by Mdhorn

25 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

you don't think Watson sticks?

14 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

ugh, or land Cine.  Sorry, my mind isn't right.  

Yeah, the other poster had already listed Watson in the post I responded to, so sure, I think he sticks. As to Cine, I don't think Texas gets him. I haven't seen much reason to be optimistic.

Not that he would have known, but it probably wouldn't have helped his draft stock to come back his SR year and ride the pine.
You really think he'd be riding the pine this year? Sterns likely plays some one way or another, but it wouldn't have been at Elliott's expense.

4 minutes ago, ousux said:
26 minutes ago, Angry Gorilla said:
Not that he would have known, but it probably wouldn't have helped his draft stock to come back his SR year and ride the pine.

You really think he'd be riding the pine this year? Sterns likely plays some one way or another, but it wouldn't have been at Elliott's expense.

It was hyperbole.... mostly.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, the other poster had already listed Watson in the post I responded to, so sure, I think he sticks. As to Cine, I don't think Texas gets him. I haven't seen much reason to be optimistic.

1 hour ago, lonestar3 said:

Looks like Warren reads surly

Edited by KYHorn