Texas recruiting notes 2019

15 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Shepherd--Green--Bragg--EJNO--T. Johnson. Show me a loss, Bill.

I'd keep a spot for a late bloomer OT if we miss on Wilkins, which I assume we will.

There's a lot of red flags out there on EJNO. Namely his height. If he puts out 4 games of good film as a senior, my opinion could change. 

Nahlin and TCU  like this kid as an OT: https://247sports.com/Player/Gabriel-Hall-46053041

Green makes me nervous. If he picks Texas, there's going to be a lot of local pressure for him to visit Aggy late. I'd keep some swing guys warm. 

Any news on Jack Buford out of St. Louis? Other than Wilkins, he's probably the only OOS OT we have a remote chance with. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'd keep a spot for a late bloomer OT if we miss on Wilkins, which I assume we will.

There's a lot of red flags out there on EJNO. Namely his height. If he puts out 4 games of good film as a senior, my opinion could change. 

Nahlin and TCU seem like this kid as an OT: https://247sports.com/Player/Gabriel-Hall-46053041

Green makes me nervous. If he picks Texas, there's going to be a lot of local pressure for him to visit Aggy late. I'd keep some swing guys warm. 

Any news on Jack Buford out of St. Louis? Other than Wilkins, he's probably the only OOS OT we have a remote chance with. 

EJNO is the same height as Green and Thomas 

Edited by Fud

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Agreed on Thomas. I think Green is an inch taller if their measurements are to be believed.

I don't think Hand is high on Thomas. We'll see on EJNO. 

Blake your reputation is on the line with Wilson. I would tread lightly until he commits 

1 minute ago, utfan87 said:

Blake your reputation is on the line with Wilson. I would tread lightly until he commits 

Texas just needs to chip away with Wilson and get him to slow down. I'm not thrilled he's using his official visit now, but he's so close to campus he can visit frequently and quietly. 

Be patient fellas. Beat Maryland, and the USC game visitor list is going to look like LSU at Bama. 

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Agreed on Thomas. I think Green is an inch taller if their measurements are to be believed.

I don't think Hand is high on Thomas. We'll see on EJNO. 

There's a picture of the two standing next two each other, and they're the same height 

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Texas just needs to chip away with Wilson and get him to slow down. I'm not thrilled he's using his official visit now, but he's so close to campus he can visit frequently and quietly. 

Be patient fellas. Beat Maryland, and the USC game visitor list is going to look like LSU at Bama. 

Garrett wants to commit now and get it out of the way before the season. OSU did a great job. The Buckeyes made it a harder decision than originally thought. But he loves Texas and his parents love Texas. Texas just needs to give him a reason (a passing game) to commit. It also wouldn't hurt if Texas keeps recruiting Hudson "Jim Thorpe' Card to negate the Matthew Baldwin recruiting pitch.

I don’t feel good about wilson. UOV’ed to tOSU they took the slight lead then UOV’ed to Texas, tOSU still has lead. OV this past weekend and they seemed to knock it out the park so their lead has grown.

Hopefully Herman can go all out this weekend

1 minute ago, utexas8 said:

I don’t feel good about wilson. UOV’ed to tOSU they took the slight lead then UOV’ed to Texas, tOSU still has lead. OV this past weekend and they seemed to knock it out the park so their lead has grown.

Hopefully Herman can go all out this weekend

Mother nature isn't dealing him a very good hand for our big recruiting weekend. I'm sure they have some sort of Plan B. Any guesses?

EJ after dark: Movement with five-star recruit

— While the weekend was showered with some not so positive news, there was an interesting development in regards to five-star IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Trey Sanders. I have heard from a source close to Sanders as well as a source close to the Texas program, and they both feel like the Longhorns have made a quiet surge in his recruitment. I’m told Sanders has a close friend in the Austin-area and will likely make a visit at some point this summer. While Florida still seems like his leader, this is certainly a situation to watch.

— Elite IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Noah Cain reconfirmed with our Mike Roach that he would be on campus for an unofficial visit this weekend for the spring game. We are told that Texas has a chance to gain the overall edge in his recruitment with a great trip. With that said, Cain doesn’t plan on making any type of decision until December, so the season will play a big role in his recruitment. Right now, he remains high on both UT and LSU — Oklahoma and Ohio State are also strongly in the mix.

— Notre Dame hosted four-star defensive end/outside linebacker NaNa Osafo-Mensah for an official visit over the weekend. So where do things stand? I don’t really buy that the Irish took the lead in this recruitment, but I do feel like this race has tightened up. The good news for Texas is that it will get the final official visit when he makes it to campus on May 4. I still feel good about my Texas Crystal Ball at this time.

— One 2020 recruit to keep an eye on is four-star Lufkin safety Jerrin Thompson. I am told that Texas is very interested in him and could extend an early offer this spring. Thompson currently has scholarships from Arkansas, SMU and South Florida and is certainly a name to know moving forward.

48 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Garrett wants to commit now and get it out of the way before the season. OSU did a great job. The Buckeyes made it a harder decision than originally thought. But he loves Texas and his parents love Texas. Texas just needs to give him a reason (a passing game) to commit. It also wouldn't hurt if Texas keeps recruiting Hudson "Jim Thorpe' Card to negate the Matthew Baldwin recruiting pitch.

So... Not 95% confident anymore?

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

I would offer Bryce Young, wait a day and then offer Card. 

Texas really hasn't been attaching a "position label" to their offers. See Tongue and Bru McCoy. I'd approach Card the same way. 

The conversation with Card has been that they love him as an athlete but want to wait to see how he plays this season before offering at QB. Coaches and Card are very optimistic how the season will go and an offer coming as a result.

38 minutes ago, lonestar3 said:

Mother nature isn't dealing him a very good hand for our big recruiting weekend. I'm sure they have some sort of Plan B. Any guesses?

He lives around Austin. A little rain isn’t relevant.

Edited by Hank_Hill

14 hours ago, Walter White said:

Yeah in that same time period A&M flipped Alaka, Seals Jones, Lanfear, Thomas Johnson and Z. Henderson. neither school flips that often but A&M has flipped more in recent years. 

Alaka and ZH were from the coaching change limbo. Lanfear wasn't recruited by the new staff at all. 

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

I'm not worried. My info comes from both sides in this recruitment. If Texas shows Wilson a passing offense, he will be a Longhorn.

Regarding the "passing offense" is he basing this off of the spring game? 

I think the Texas offense is going to look much different in the fall with the insertion of Ingram and Anderson. Also Cade Brewer is returning. We could also take a couple grad transfers at all purpose back and slot WR. 

• Like 1

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

I think the Texas offense is going to look much different in the fall with the insertion of Ingram and Anderson. Also Cade Brewer is returning. We could also take a couple grad transfers at all purpose back and slot WR. 

I think he wants to see continued progress, development, and evolution of the offense.  It's more about hope and being able to see that he can be productive in it rather than specific plays. The offense was a trainwreck at times last season. Qb needs to look better. Offensive line needs to be serviceable. I think Herman will deliver.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yea if how our offense looks determines one of his biggest life choices he might wait to judge it in its entirety. 

I've asked before, but perhaps it was on the site no longer to be named: Does Rojo have a good relationship with Wilson? I'd think the latter would see the future QB as a key factor in whether or not he'd shine at Texas. Of course, that assumes Rojo actually takes the reins and keeps them.

Edited by Gut Wagon

18 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I'm not worried. My info comes from both sides in this recruitment. If Texas shows Wilson a passing offense, he will be a Longhorn.

what are the advantages texas has that 9.95ers have hinted at but haven't directly come out and said?

Edited by utfan87

I'm somewhat perplexed by how big this weekend is shaping up, and Herman's insistence he doesn't want it to be a big recruiting weekend and the hints that he won't be around the recruits much. But we're also hearing rumors that the staff has something huge, I think someone used the word "epic" planned for this weekend. I hope Hermans going out of his comfort zone to really make this a big recruiting event. As for guys like Leal saying they'll miss it, and considering how quickly he got swept up in the moment and with other kids at the aTm spring game...if I'm Herman I have the LHN crew put together a 15 minute documentary/promotional video of the spring game, show how awesome it was, and has all the recruits going apeshit. 

"Oh, you wanted camaraderie? Well here's what you missed during a special weekend at Texas." 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm somewhat perplexed by how big this weekend is shaping up, and Herman's insistence he doesn't want it to be a big recruiting weekend and the hints that he won't be around the recruits much. But we're also hearing rumors that the staff has something huge, I think someone used the word "epic" planned for this weekend. I hope Hermans going out of his comfort zone to really make this a big recruiting event. As for guys like Leal saying they'll miss it, and considering how quickly he got swept up in the moment and with other kids at the aTm spring game...if I'm Herman I have the LHN crew put together a 15 minute documentary/promotional video of the spring game, show how awesome it was, and has all the recruits going apeshit. 

"Oh, you wanted camaraderie? Well here's what you missed during a special weekend at Texas." 

i have no idea but 1 of two things is true if this is shaping up the way it is.. 1) he was being coy about it for some reason and it was always planned that way or 2) even though it was expressed that last weekend would be big for recruiting for two schools we are fighting for recruits - he miscalculated how much of a momentum swing that weekend would be for those two schools and now he's trying to reverse that a little and has changed strategy somewhat...

personally i think hes trying to thwart some of the momentum of OU and Aggie  (i think what happened w/ Leal is playing a big part in that tbh)

Edited by Froghorn717
  • Like 1

I always assumed Herman's "it won't be a big recruiting event" was in regards to official visits, but I could have easily misread what he was getting at 

Also think it has to do with the recruiting success of OU and a&m spring game. Herman has to counter fast.

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

I always assumed Herman's "it won't be a big recruiting event" was in regards to official visits, but I could have easily misread what he was getting at 

It's this. Herman doesn't like OVs on game weekend because he's naturally distracted by actual coaching. It'll be a big recruiting deal at the Carrington/Langi level and in terms of making sure everyone has dope UVs.

It's shocking how (Leal aside), people are panicking about a thing we all knew was coming - other schools getting momentum back because they blew their load. Look at all the kids aggy had to blow their OVs on early.

Edited by texifornia

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

I've asked before, but perhaps it was on the site no longer to be named: Does Rojo have a good relationship with Wilson? I'd think the latter would see the future QB as a key factor in whether or not he'd shine at Texas. Of course, that assumes Rojo actually takes the reins and keeps them.

I'd heard Rojo had been in town throwing to Wilson and Higgans on at least 1 occasion. 

And I've seen at least 2 quotes about him liking what he sees from Rising. 

So it might not even be the 1st team he'll be looking at. 

6 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

I'd heard Rojo had been in town throwing to Wilson and Higgans on at least 1 occasion. 

And I've seen at least 2 quotes about him liking what he sees from Rising. 

So it might not even be the 1st team he'll be looking at. 

He also spent a weekend with Gunnell playing 7on7 not two weeks ago, and Ohio State might land Gunnell 

And Ohio State already has his buddy Baldwin on campus

Edited by Fud

5 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Do we have a list for the weekend visitors por favor?

QB Roschon Johnson 
RB Noah Cain 
RB Zach Evans 
OL EJ Ndoma-Ogar 
OL Branson Bragg 
OL Javonne Shepherd 
OL Kenyon Green (Maybe) 
OL Tyler Johnson (Maybe) 
OL Chad Lindberg (2020) 
OL Akinola Ogunbiyi (2020) 
WR Garrett Wilson (Official) 
WR Jake Smith 
WR Jordan Whittington 
WR Demond Demas (2020) (Maybe) 
WR Collin Sullivan (2020) 
WR Troy Omiere (2020) 
TE Jared Wiley 
DL T'Vondre Sweat (Maybe) 
DL Peter Mpagi 
DL Alec Bryant 
OLB De'Gabriel Floyd 
ILB David Gbenda (Maybe) 
CB Marcus Banks 
CB Dwight McGlothern (2020) (Maybe) 
S Lewis Cine (Maybe) 
S Darius Snow (Maybe) (2020) 
ATH Khalan Griffin (2020

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Twitter tells me Carrington followed Tre Watson, grad transfer RB from Cal.

So, why exactly, did Texas sign one RB last cycle if the position is in this rough of shape? Relying on Johnson or Houston for production seems rather ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, Chrispy said:

So, why exactly, did Texas sign one RB last cycle if the position is in this rough of shape? Relying on Johnson or Houston for production seems rather ridiculous. 

Ingram wanted to be the sole take and it's not a tire fire, Watson is just a really quality upgrade.