The Truman Show

Baboontyme

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I thought the premise had a lot of potential. I felt the movie fell way short of realizing that potential. 

The premise is probably better than the movie. I'm not a movie snob by any means. And I certainly was much less of a movie snob than I am today when I was a perpetually drunk 20 year old college student. I'm still perpetually drunk and not a movie snob but I like it. It hooks me. There certainly an energy l element of it where you need to suspend reality to some degree. But I think it's a solid story and I like the way it plays out. Low key favorite movie of that era. It's good.

On 2/8/2019 at 11:12 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

I thought the premise had a lot of potential. I felt the movie fell way short of realizing that potential. 

On 2/8/2019 at 10:22 PM, Baboontyme said:

What do they do when he's beating off?

I think they intentionally don’t explore a lot of stuff that would make it dark.  Laura Linney marries him all as an act.  Presumably banging like any normal couple.  She knows it’s being aired.   All weird thoughts they don’t go into.  

1 minute ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I think they intentionally don’t explore a lot of stuff that would make it dark.  Laura Linney marries him all as an act.  Presumably banging like any normal couple.  She knows it’s being aired.   All weird thoughts they don’t go into.  

I'd bang Laura Linney on live TV.

• Like 3

i was interning in la the summer of 1997 and read every script i could get my hands on - basically anything that was being made or i heard was good.

i read "the truman show" and "the game" within days of each other, and both were fucking crazy scripts to read, since you didn't have the visual to let you know what was and wasn't "real".  i thought both would be total mindfucks in the theater, but obviously the game went way darker for obvious reasons.

i don't remember details, but there was a lot of stuff left out of the final movie in both cases.  just too hard to make certain elements work on the screen.

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i was interning in la the summer of 1997 and read every script i could get my hands on - basically anything that was being made or i heard was good.

i read "the truman show" and "the game" within days of each other, and both were fucking crazy scripts to read, since you didn't have the visual to let you know what was and wasn't "real".  i thought both would be total mindfucks in the theater, but obviously the game went way darker for obvious reasons.

i don't remember details, but there was a lot of stuff left out of the final movie in both cases.  just too hard to make certain elements work on the screen.

I saw your comment, saw the game was on amazon video and gave it a watch. 

(now placing my neck on the chopping block)

I think that's one of the dumbest fucking movies I've ever seen. Not one of the worst, just one of the dumbest. 

As in, how am I expected to believe any of that shit? I think the Truman Show is hilariously more plausible somehow since he was raised from birth in that environment. 

With the game it's like, every single scene is a plot hole. There's some absurd dues-ex-machina every 5 minutes. If you're going to do a film like that I don't think you can frame it within the context of absolute reality. There needs to be more zaniness, more incentive to suspend disbelief, a framework where the story can actually occur.

With the game none of it makes sense. Like none of it. How fucking high were the writers when they came up with that? Did it just piggyback the wave of 90s counterculture "mindfuckness" and audiences didn't bat an eye?

And there's no room for the viewer to "not understand it" because, again, it's totally framed in reality. it's like some stupid screenplay a stoned 17 year old wrote but miraculously nailed a lot of dialogue and found an A- level cast. Hence it wasn't awful to watch, but Jesus I could write 50 pages on how utterly retarded the premise is. 

• Like 1

I totally agree with you z. I watched it again a year ago or so, and while it's entertaining, it's fucking ridiculous. I agree Truman Show is also ridiculous but I do think that the premise is plausible and interesting. There are some crazy suppositions. Like I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the size of the studio and where it could exist. And while Ed Harris makes a weak ass attempt at explaining the budget and how the show can exist, there's a huge leap there. But The Game is Sandy Hook truther level outrageous. 

10 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

CSB I stayed in a house in Florida on a family vacation that was 2 miles from the town they shot this in.  it is exactly like the movie and all the people are overly nice.  really cool place.  I want to retire there 

We all have dude. It’s Seadide fl. Every swinging dick from Dallas or Houston with a buck or three has been dragged there by wifey, requisite picture on the beach in white or denim. in hand. 

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

CSB I stayed in a house in Florida on a family vacation that was 2 miles from the town they shot this in.  it is exactly like the movie and all the people are overly nice.  really cool place.  I want to retire there 

Yea...lots of people go to Seaside, FL.  They are usually easy to spot with their 30A stickers on their cars

• Like 1