2018 Beer

HenryJames

Local and regional options have improved so much over the past couple of years and it’s still improving. And right now everyone is chasing hazies at $3-4 a tall boy. The ones who are going to be hurting are the big breweries trying to get bigger with a larger distro footprint.

Breweries are going to go more and more local. Shit, in 10 years it may be you can only get specific beers in your hood. Personally I like it. I don’t want to drink Austin beers in Houston or Dallas beers in Austin. I like being a beer tourist.

Was in Austin this weekend and decided to check out the fairly new Family Business Beer Company in Dripping Springs this morning. The beers I had were decent though none really stood out.

Their setup seems very similar to Vista Brewing that I checked out last visit down there. Both, out in the country ala Jester King, seem to have a good amount of investment in their tap rooms and grounds with a lot of outdoor seating and kids playgrounds. We happened to get their right when they opened at 11:00 and I was surprised at how many people likewise showed up right when they opened and almost all of the groups had multiple kids with them.

72158fd4ca330e2ca69a34d435fb8c32.jpg

006644640c075933cb24a5be4c66ce2a.jpg

6c6d8c4da8d883cf0976697049dea5bd.jpg

2b6fea172b350cbed14724288de05e49.jpg

From there it was just a quick 10 minute drive to Jester King. Showed up right before the opened at noon and am always a little surprised when that has happened and I can get a shot like this with absolutely no one in the shot.

40d81aab8250fc54466fdedda183de80.jpg

Grabbed a a nice spot in the shade with a nice breeze to boot and had the MvB Blend 5 plus the just released Aurastone. Great as always.

69798cb535e48c7b123f3706cccbfe61.jpg

Finally stuck around for some Stanley’s pizza before heading home. That has become a favorite tradition of any Austin trip and is a nice relaxing way to waste away the last hour or so of the trip. Also, further to my earlier observation, there always seems to be tons of families with kids (and seemingly always with birthdays being celebrated) whenever we’ve done the Sunday noon visit.

4a0470e5250bc46c466dac199541e8df.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Breweries are going to go more and more local. Shit, in 10 years it may be you can only get specific beers in your hood. Personally I like it. I don’t want to drink Austin beers in Houston or Dallas beers in Austin. I like being a beer tourist.

sounds like most on shaggy are coming around to what i predicted one whole website ago. Austin has seen its last regional brewery for a while in Celis. At least a successful regional brewery. Undoubtedly, some hotshot dipshit will come in and try to distro outside of Texas and close shop once he realizes thats not how craft beer works anymore. I wonder how a place like OB is doing also. I suspect not great. I'll be shocked if they are still here in 5 years unless they totally rethink their business plan, which is a shitty plan to not emphasize the taproom and make exclusive beers. 

My beer cellar is pretty bare these days, but i did open up something from there last night, La Folie Geisha, which was $50/bottle retail. HEB discounted it to $25 so i thought, fuck it, why not. It was an utter disappointment. I can't get into beer anymore that isn't easily available/cash grab/unskilled by adding 900 birthday cake adjuncts. The greatest brewers keep me coming back with their skill at everyday fridge beer. Jester King is one of the few exceptions, but there aren't many more out there.

Edited by Bottlecap
  • Like 1

I still enjoy that the barrel aged beers from Founders/Deschutes/Firestone Walker/Prairie, etc. are available locally, but more and more I'm finding myself leaving them sitting on the shelf when I see them. I see BCBS regularly still and don't even consider picking it up anymore. In a perfect world I'd have access to both forever, but I agree that a shift is coming. I'm just glad local options keep getting better and better. It's a great time to be a beer drinker.

10 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

I wonder how a place like OB is doing also. I suspect not great. I'll be shocked if they are still here in 5 years unless they totally rethink their business plan, which is a shitty plan to not emphasize the taproom and make exclusive beers. 

I've noticed on Facebook that they've been really emphasizing their live music venue much more so than even 6 months ago. They seem to have bookings several times a week now.

47 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Anyone else see the commercials for Altstadt?

Can't avoid them if you're watching any WC coverage at all. I still haven't tried anything of theirs.  That branding is tough to look at, but if the beer is any good I'd be glad to give it a try.

14 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

I can't get into beer anymore that isn't easily available/cash grab/unskilled by adding 900 birthday cake adjuncts. The greatest brewers keep me coming back with their skill at everyday fridge beer.

I never enjoyed chasing the whales.   I want a really drinkable beer that I can find when I want it.   Granted, I lean more toward IPAs/Pales/Kolschs but it doesn't do anything for me to chase down an Imperial Quadruple Belgian Chocolate Cherry Stout with Elderberries and Mango.   I still find new stuff in my wheelhouse to try and like doing that but I watch guys come into one of my watering holes asking about when the next Double IPA Collaboration with 19 different hops from XX and YY breweries will be on tap and am so glad that I can find what I want on a daily basis.

• Like 2

If there's something new and unique readily available at a bar, restaurant, or beer store, then I'm happy to try it.  

But if it would require going out of my way, or waiting in a line, or any other tomfoolery, then I'm not going to bother. There are just way too many great options available to me on a daily basis pretty much anywhere I go, to worry about making effort to get something else.

I like the jib to y’all’s jabs in the last few posts.

In Ruidoso till Thursday and tried a local taproom.  Tried only local stuff.

First was La Cumbre “A slice of Hefen” 5.4ABV, 15 IBU

Very drinkable with the typical banana/clove/ vanilla notes.  Maybe I was just craving that first beer of the day, but it was awesome.

2nd Alien Amber, 5.2ABV, 15IBU

Surprised me because I figured it was all kitsch with the alien theme, but it was great.

3rd Toad Creek Pendejo Porter, 6.8ABV, 27IBU

deep rich chocolaty brew from a brewer I had never heard of.

4th Santa Fe State Pen Porter 6.4ABV, 50IBU

Iknow this one’s been around a while, but I had not had it on tap in a very long time.  Very complex porter, with probably a bit more hops than I prefer. It was cetainly not a drain pour, but I much prefered the Toad Creek offering.

Fieldwork's Eastside Motel DIPA 8.3%

20180626_191122.jpg

Looks and taste like a NE IPA,

Love their description

With sixteen in the clip and one in the hole Eastside Motel is a Double IPA that will glide and swerve across your palate with the silky sounds of Citra and Blanc hops with no fear of repercussion. An all out attack of hop aroma kicks you in the mouth with huge notes of orange peel, Pinot Grigio wine grape, and mango-guava; resulting in a Double IPA that could be a flavor of Mad Dog 20/20. A chewy but light body rolls down your tongue like a Cadillac on bags, packed to the brim with juicy hops hanging their arms out the windows with rings and Rolex in safe keeping. With a nose that packs a blast like a gunshot, just sit back and enjoy the flow Citra provides with the perfect soulful accompaniment by Blanc. No matter if things are a little rough right now, or even if things are going real swell, if you're looking for a juicy beast of a Double IPA, it's probably a wise choice to make your next stop Eastside Motel.

On 6/11/2018 at 7:57 AM, deft said:

994c30f16c665856d9ed98c0748a29a2.heic

It’ll drink.

On 6/11/2018 at 7:43 PM, Bottlecap said:

how is that? needed a review before buying. thx.

On 6/12/2018 at 9:36 AM, deft said:

Average to good American style Pilsner imo. It’s not a word beater but it’s damn good in the summer heat and worth the price of admission for at least one sixxer

On 6/12/2018 at 10:34 AM, utee94 said:

I guess I'll give it a try.  If it sucks, I'm blaming you, deft! 

On 6/12/2018 at 11:45 AM, HenryJames said:

Are you prepared to walk past Gold, Pilz, Pearl Snap, and Hans Pils to get it?

Finally tried it.  It's serviceable, not great but certainly drinkable.  Seems a little thin or one-note, compared to the other local options.

So I won't be walking past Gold, Pilz, Pearl Snap, or Hans Pils to get it, but if none of those options are available, I'd buy this again.

Edit:  Oh, and it doesn't suck, so deft is off the hook.

Edited by utee94

Am I the only one who hates Pilz style and prefers hefes/ kolsch for summertime brews?

I wouldn’t say I hate it, but I’ll pretty much never buy it. But they don’t make many up here either. I’ll always take a Hefe/Wit instead or one of the 40 different ipas each brewery seems to makes.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Am I the only one who hates Pilz style and prefers hefes/ kolsch for summertime brews?

Uh, yeah.  You're a fucking freak of nature.

Kolsch and Hefe are great, don't get me wrong.  But pilsner is pilsner, it's perfectly suited for hot-ass Texas summer days. 

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Uh, yeah.  You're a fucking freak of nature.

Kolsch and Hefe are great, don't get me wrong.  But pilsner is pilsner, it's perfectly suited for hot-ass Texas summer days. 

I just feel like i’m drinking trumped up miller lite.  

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

I just feel like i’m drinking trumped up miller lite.  

I'm actually just giving you a hard time because... well... surly... :)

But I have to ask-- what shit-ass pilsners are you drinking that make you think this? 

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I'm actually just giving you a hard time because... well... surly... :)

But I have to ask-- what shit-ass pilsners are you drinking that make you think this? 

Miller lite

the Saint Arnolds Summer Pils( snooze)

The Karbach version( snore)

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

Miller lite

the Saint Arnolds Summer Pils( snooze)

The Karbach version( snore)

Where do you live again, I don't recall.  I'm guessing Houston from the response?

Try Live Oak Pilz, pretty sure you can get it in Houston.  It's the best pilsner brewed in the USA IMO and tastes very close to the Czech pilsners you'll get in Plzen and the rest of the Czech Republic.  It's extremely well balanced, it has a decent malt backbone and the correct amount of Czech Saaz hops to round it out.

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

If I’m buying Live Oak, i’m getting the Hefe( one of my very faves) or the seasonal Primus, which is glorious.

They're both glorious, and the Big Bark is a fantastic version of a Vienna style lager.  But YOU'RE the one saying he hates pilsners and I'm recommending the best pilsner in the USA.  You can bitch and moan about it, or you can go try it, and find out that you don't hate pilsners, you just don't like crappy ones.

It's your choice, of course. ;)

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

Versus Hefe, which is available year round?  i’ll take Live Oak Hefe every freaking time.

sorey, I am such a neandrethal

Live Oak Pilz is available year-round as well. Not sure if you're trying to make a point, or missing one?

Anyway, try it.  Not sure why you'd run down an entire style, and then have someone offer you something you might like, especially because you clearly like the brewery, and then have you denigrate that beer?  Doesn't make much sense, honestly.

Wait, is this an example of "slorching" a thread?  I always thought that was a myth... ;)

I’m saying their pilz will never surpass the hefe 

yeah, if there is  a cooler of Bud light, Miller lite, and coors light, of course I’d choose Live Oak Pilz; but if it is multpiple Live Oak Offerings, I ‘m going with the other styles besides pilz.

Edited by slorch

I love Fieldwork beers as well as their taproom in Berkley and tap yard in Monterey (though less so when it’s raining).

85e3fb4fc8c4c8ef663645caece9c6f9.jpg

8f1348f50c114747c426c0f7d340ab90.jpg

You gotta love a place that doesn’t wuss out in the number of beers you can get in a flight.

61a296e7a1939a0bb9660f0cd0da61b8.jpg

I am the Monterey loacation right now

93e64a5cae97917af6144ce09ddc1405.jpg

52 minutes ago, Smax said:

I am the Monterey loacation right now

93e64a5cae97917af6144ce09ddc1405.jpg

Jealous.  Of course, were I in Monterey, I would also walk the quick walk from there to Alvarado Street Brewing to drink their beers and purchase their seemingly every week new multiple can releases...

1 hour ago, slorch said:

I’m saying their pilz will never surpass the hefe 

yeah, if there is  a cooler of Bud light, Miller lite, and coors light, of course I’d choose Live Oak Pilz; but if it is multpiple Live Oak Offerings, I ‘m going with the other styles besides pilz.

The dude offered you a delicious pilsner option because that's what you asked about. For the record I think Gold is as good if not better than Pilz but they're 1A 1B for me.

Jealous.  Of course, were I in Monterey, I would also walk the quick walk from there to Alvarado Street Brewing to drink their beers and purchase their seemingly every week new multiple can releases...
Im sorry you were saying..4950999b48190ac9f327ea73b3748ae5.jpg265e058a2306fef231a855047b9958bd.jpg89d2d01fbfdfc1db72915e2c00efea3d.jpg
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

The dude offered you a delicious pilsner option because that's what you asked about. For the record I think Gold is as good if not better than Pilz but they're 1A 1B for me.

I'm more of a Czech pilsner guy than a German pilsner guy, but Gold is indeed plenty tasty.

Czech fan as well. 

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Indeed, which is why I try many different hefeweizens...lolz.

Which ones are your favorites? Big Bend has changed theirs up, and it's really good. For the Germans I like Weihenstephaner and Schneider Weisse.

utee94 likes Widmer most of all.