2018 Beer

HenryJames

2.89/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

$12.49 USD per sixer in the Austin, TX market. Canned 04/16/18 (i.e. 2 days ago).

7.0% ABV. "hazy, triple dry hopped IPA." Brewed for Zilker's 3rd anniversary.

Pours a hazy yellow body. Quite pulpy. Head is white and thin, dying within 5 minutes but giving way to the top of the head almost immediately.

Aroma: Muted juice pulp. Citrus. Starch (from oats or wheat or something). Floral notes.

Muted citrus is the emphasis here, and some drinkers will find it bends medicinal, hinting at Delsym. Suggests a lackluster IPA with poor hop pungency.

TASTE: Oat-like starch. Pale malt. Muted citrus (mainly orange, with some tangerine as well). Citrus pulp.

Rather shallow and simplistic. Lacks the hop pungency and depth of flavour one would expect in a competent IPA; I had a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale less than an hour ago and that easily had more hop pungency and flavour than this does.

TEXTURE: Unrefreshing, pulpy, overly thick, smooth, wet, medium to full-bodied. Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, harsh, rough, or scratchy, but its pulpy feel is off-putting and makes it more filling than it ought to be.

OVERALL: Shallow simple fare from Zilker. A sad attempt to cash in on the turbid IPA substyle that all the kids are pining after these days. It'd be nice to see Zilker's brewers put out something with more inspiration and intent behind it; this is so obviously a painful cash-grab and its lack of quality sullies the anniversary ostensibly being celebrated...I guess it's the beer equivalent of bringing your wife of three years to that new restaurant that exclusively serves a cuisine you know she doesn't like "because it's trendy." Disappointing, uninspired, imitative work.

C (2.89) / AVERAGE

04/21/18 more notes from a couple cans:

Yeah, this is very subdued hopwise, and the hop profile isn't all that engaging to start with. Pulpy citrus is basically all this has to offer, and flavour intensity is rather low for the style.

I have to say it does hide its ABV well, but that serves to make it drink even more like a pale ale when coupled with its lack of commitment to its hops, hop pungency, and complexity. Very shallow subdued fare for an ostensible IPA.

C / AVERAGE

2,206 characters

bottlecap, Thursday at 06:02 AM

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

2.89/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

$12.49 USD per sixer in the Austin, TX market. Canned 04/16/18 (i.e. 2 days ago).

7.0% ABV. "hazy, triple dry hopped IPA." Brewed for Zilker's 3rd anniversary.

Pours a hazy yellow body. Quite pulpy. Head is white and thin, dying within 5 minutes but giving way to the top of the head almost immediately.

Aroma: Muted juice pulp. Citrus. Starch (from oats or wheat or something). Floral notes.

Muted citrus is the emphasis here, and some drinkers will find it bends medicinal, hinting at Delsym. Suggests a lackluster IPA with poor hop pungency.

TASTE: Oat-like starch. Pale malt. Muted citrus (mainly orange, with some tangerine as well). Citrus pulp.

Rather shallow and simplistic. Lacks the hop pungency and depth of flavour one would expect in a competent IPA; I had a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale less than an hour ago and that easily had more hop pungency and flavour than this does.

TEXTURE: Unrefreshing, pulpy, overly thick, smooth, wet, medium to full-bodied. Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, harsh, rough, or scratchy, but its pulpy feel is off-putting and makes it more filling than it ought to be.

OVERALL: Shallow simple fare from Zilker. A sad attempt to cash in on the turbid IPA substyle that all the kids are pining after these days. It'd be nice to see Zilker's brewers put out something with more inspiration and intent behind it; this is so obviously a painful cash-grab and its lack of quality sullies the anniversary ostensibly being celebrated...I guess it's the beer equivalent of bringing your wife of three years to that new restaurant that exclusively serves a cuisine you know she doesn't like "because it's trendy." Disappointing, uninspired, imitative work.

C (2.89) / AVERAGE

04/21/18 more notes from a couple cans:

Yeah, this is very subdued hopwise, and the hop profile isn't all that engaging to start with. Pulpy citrus is basically all this has to offer, and flavour intensity is rather low for the style.

I have to say it does hide its ABV well, but that serves to make it drink even more like a pale ale when coupled with its lack of commitment to its hops, hop pungency, and complexity. Very shallow subdued fare for an ostensible IPA.

C / AVERAGE

2,206 characters

bottlecap, Thursday at 06:02 AM

why waste 2,206 characters publicly slamming the beer and the brewers? Either it's personal or written by a bitter, bitter man. In either case it sounds like someone that is not very much fun to drink beer with. 

4 hours ago, Yankee said:

why waste 2,206 characters publicly slamming the beer and the brewers? Either it's personal or written by a bitter, bitter man. In either case it sounds like someone that is not very much fun to drink beer with. 

Go easy on him...he’s still upset about spring game loss.

15 hours ago, Yankee said:

Guess you've never seen bottlecap go off.

Speaking, can we start a new thread, bottlecap reviews sex toys, could be quite interesting.

Apologies, I am not going to go back in the thread and search. I'm not a beer nerd but when a good one comes across my desk I'm in. M-43 out of WIlliamston, MI. It's a NE IPA and it's vaulted to the top of my favorite list. Anyone try it? Can you get it down there? 

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Dear beer dudes,

Is there a good prickly pear sour beer available in Houston?  Preferably one brewed in Texas, but if not, that’s cool too. 

Thanks,

bodi

Shiner prickly pear is the only available Texas prickly pear beer at the moment... and its not sour.

Personally, I absolutely love prickly pear in beers and wish there were more available. Ranger Creek’s Purple Rhine Prickly Pear Berlinerweiss was tits a few years ago, but they havent re-bottled it since. Cant think of any other readily available PP beers on the shelves fron Texas

• Like 1

Specs has La Cura and I think some HEBs do too. Had one yesterday, and thought it was ok. But def. worth a try.

For peach sours, there are plently. Upland Peach Sour just hit Houston last week (not sure if youre looking for distro’d Texas breweries specifically). Havent had it yet but the reviews are good. Also doesnt Casacade have a peach sour in Texas?

• Like 1

Happen to have scheduled an Austin trip and rolled into town right at the start of Austin Beerworks’ 7th Anniversary party. Good for me. The Rocket Surgery anniversary IPA and Wizardry barrel aged stout are quite tasty.

c915b047117cd7462d3f371447614461.jpg

aff1057fe62de7ceaa5f0b9d87326ee3.jpg

b578ef0728424c2ff4147310b3d9ce69.jpg

da80a85131181b2dac69704b2963f4ac.jpg

c0937e1d10a8a0657998bc34411bb587.jpg

Visited Vista Brewing this morning. Really pretty and impressive place which kind of reminded me of a mix between Jester King and LiveOak in terms of the setup. Good beers though kind of an interesting style of beers as none were very “beer nerd” friendly. That is their IPAs were not of the West Coast or NE style and no wild ales amongst the farmhouse/saison offerings. Good though and impressive setup.

bcc60f53a358952bcadeecd409f3d6c8.jpg

8a163ea26922f316c528b9e2dff394c6.jpg

72bf65cc8fc8a35174d27eba648235c4.jpg

5cd101b9471ab2bb8efc277d69fbcaa6.jpg

29f263fa3257a39bf8f7f72bda16464d.jpg

Now at Jester King. The Colour 5 and SPONs are tasting great.

0099989453c40cbf4ec284e849085279.jpg

• Like 1

Visited Vista Brewing this morning. Really pretty and impressive place which kind of reminded me of a mix between Jester King and LiveOak in terms of the setup.

We went out there last weekend. Really enjoyed the space more than their beers. We tasted everything there and enjoyed them all enough but wasn't really blown away by anything. It was all pretty good though.