2018 Beer

HenryJames

I was in the Pflugerville area this evening and decided to give Flying Man a shot.  I really wanted to like this place but the beers just weren't... good.  The watermelon wheat was decent if you like that sort of thing and the chipotle stout didn't suck, but everything else I tried did.  Which was too bad because they have a pretty nice set up in spite of the pita location.

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Just had a Strange Land IPA. Pretty decent, especially for Strange Land.

Had a Wooderson IPA from Hi Sign at Mohawk the other night.  It was great. Hi Sign continues to deliver stellar beers.

Hi Sign might be the best brewery in Austin right now.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Had a Wooderson IPA from Hi Sign at Mohawk the other night.  It was great. Hi Sign continues to deliver stellar beers.

I’ve not had Wooderson on draft, but wasn’t  there mpressed with the sixes of cans I bought.   I’ve enjoyed their other IPAs I’ve had on draft.  

Picked up a six of Third Space today at Circle C HEB, was $12.50 and there a few left in the cooler. It's the only one of the Zilker beers I've tried and it is damn good. Guess I should try some of their other stuff.

Didn't see any of the Waldos, so asked and was told it would be sometime next week before they got it. Furk.

12 hours ago, mdleast said:

I’m getting kind of weird as the Spring Game trudges on. Decided to mix a Celis White with a Raspberry. Actually pretty good mix. Kind of tones down the Raspberry while punching up the White.

d8747ea0ca8cb464e6c42e02b8adb54a.jpg

We did this a lot in the 90s.  Called it a "Berry White."  

Mixing Grand Cru and Raspberry was of course a CruBerry.

I’m getting kind of weird as the Spring Game trudges on. Decided to mix a Celis White with a Raspberry. Actually pretty good mix. Kind of tones down the Raspberry while punching up the White.

d8747ea0ca8cb464e6c42e02b8adb54a.jpg

Agree, enjoyed this mix as well.

New favorite brewery ALERT: Vista Brewing. 

Excellent layout and design. Kids friendly, but also lots of areas to not be disturbed by kids. Good debut beers. Their 2.5% table beer and Kolsch were on point. Food was top shelf, had the sausage and grilled baby bok choi. Short hiking trails onsite. Overall, a really great brewery. Drive was 40 mins from central austin. Kind of a haul, but hill country is where all the hot breweries are i guess.

Spent the afternoon day drinking close to home. Started at the new Vista Brewing in Driftwood on FM150  which is a really cool place. They seem to have gone out of the way to make their beers different , and they are. Had a hazy IPA which was ok, the porter was better though. Limited menu but what we tried was good , sausage & kraut and grilled beet goat cheese appetizers. Crowd was almost all family with dogs and lots of property for them to run wild. Small stage with an acoustic duo playing, very laid back place.  In fact it was kinda like drinking on Walton Mountain.

Went down the road to Hays City Store and it was packed, loud as hell and much more upbeat. They are up to 50 plus beers on tap, stuck with Yellow Rose and Mrs. Hovis(no pics, still haven't mastered the Surly download routine) had the Black Lab porter. That Sonora Burger is pretty damn good and always some interesting folk stumbling around. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr.Hovis said:

Spent the afternoon day drinking close to home. Started at the new Vista Brewing in Driftwood on FM150  which is a really cool place. They seem to have gone out of the way to make their beers different , and they are. Had a hazy IPA which was ok, the porter was better though. Limited menu but what we tried was good , sausage & kraut and grilled beet goat cheese appetizers. Crowd was almost all family with dogs and lots of property for them to run wild. Small stage with an acoustic duo playing, very laid back place.  In fact it was kinda like drinking on Walton Mountain.

Went down the road to Hays City Store and it was packed, loud as hell and much more upbeat. They are up to 50 plus beers on tap, stuck with Yellow Rose and Mrs. Hovis(no pics, still haven't mastered the Surly download routine) had the Black Lab porter. That Sonora Burger is pretty damn good and always some interesting folk stumbling around. 

Well, while I was slowly buzzed typing Bottlecap gave a more refined review of Vista Brewing, I'll defer to his take on this.

1 hour ago, Mr.Hovis said:

Small stage with an acoustic duo playing, very laid back place. 

They did a cover of Feelin Good Again which was worth a $5 tip.

Also, unless i missed something, that "porter" was actually their "black" pilsner. It wasn't really for me, but you are right in that it didn't taste like a lager at all. Pretty roasty not unlike a porter at all, but much thinner at the base. Interesting beer. I didn't mention their saison earlier, but that was also a damn solid beer. I'm mostly geeked about a 2.5% beer that had a really nice body. It was like a less funky Le Petit and absolutely necessary when you've got a destination brewery way the fuck out there.

2 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

They did a cover of Feelin Good Again which was worth a $5 tip.

Also, unless i missed something, that "porter" was actually their "black" pilsner. It wasn't really for me, but you are right in that it didn't taste like a lager at all. Pretty roasty not unlike a porter at all, but much thinner at the base. Interesting beer. I didn't mention their saison earlier, but that was also a damn solid beer. I'm mostly geeked about a 2.5% beer that had a really nice body. It was like a less funky Le Petit and absolutely necessary when you've got a destination brewery way the fuck out there.

Your right, it was the Dark Skies Pilsner, which my wife ordered on our second round and we both liked it. Tasted like a coffee porter. The saison was her first selection and I only had a sip,  as I was sampling the Commencement- Bret Ale and  Merriwether IPA . Those had a lot of different flavors going on. The 2.5 % was described as a cost saving method of a 2nd rinse(?) of the sugars from their Triple, which I didn't see on tap. I didn't look in the cooler by the bar so maybe it's bottled only.

The layout of the place is great and it's only 10-15 minutes from our house. I could see it being a problem driving back into Austin though. I suppose that is a reason their website shows that rental Tiny Houses are in the works.

On 4/16/2018 at 4:26 PM, Fozzz said:

This place is quickly becoming one of my favorite Houston area breweries.

https://www.ingeniousbeer.com/

So I did finally make it out to Ingenious. Very unique selection of beers with a lot of unusual combinations. Not sure what their sweet spot will be just yet, though they are doing a fair number of NEIPA's. Nice taproom though a little light on the outside space so far. 

• Like 1

So I did finally make it out to Ingenious. Very unique selection of beers with a lot of unusual combinations. Not sure what their sweet spot will be just yet, though they are doing a fair number of NEIPA's. Nice taproom though a little light on the outside space so far. 

but have you been to Great Heights Brewing yet??