2018 Beer

HenryJames

https://thefullpint.com/beer-news/green-flash-brewing-inc-foreclosed-sells-green-flash-and-alpine-assets/

San Diego, CA) – As a conclusion to Green Flash Brewing ending their national expansion strategy, closing Virginia Beach and Cellar 3, we have just learned that Green Flash Brewing, Inc.’s largest shareholder, Comerica Bank has foreclosed on it’s loans due to outstanding debt and poor business health and that Green Flash and Alpine assets have been sold to a risk management company in Michigan named WCIPA, LLC. We are still trying to learn more about this company. Here is the official memo that Green Flash President and CEO Mike Hinkley sent to over 100 shareholders this morning.

“Dear GFBC, Inc. Shareholders,

On behalf of myself and the Board of Directors of GFBC, Inc. (the “Company”), I am truly sorry to report that the Company’s senior lender, Comerica Bank, has foreclosed on its loans and sold the assets of the Company (other than the Virginia Beach brewery) to WC IPA LLC through a foreclosure sale which closed on March 30, 2018. As such, the Company no longer owns the Green Flash and Alpine businesses. Comerica Bank is currently conducting a separate process to sell the Virginia Beach brewery.

After a general slowdown in the craft beer industry, coupled with intense competition and a slowdown of our business, we could not service the debt that we took on to build the Virginia Beach brewery — and in early 2018, the Company defaulted on its loans with Comerica Bank. While we took substantial efforts to recapitalize the Company over the past several months, both before and after the bank default, we were ultimately unable to close a transaction.

While the Green Flash and Alpine brands will continue, they will do so under new ownership — and GFBC, Inc. and Alpine Beer Company, Inc. will be wound down and dissolved. I sincerely thank you for your support over the years.

Sincerely,
Mike Hinkley
CEO
GFBC, Inc.”

47 minutes ago, mdleast said:

https://thefullpint.com/beer-news/green-flash-brewing-inc-foreclosed-sells-green-flash-and-alpine-assets/

San Diego, CA) – As a conclusion to Green Flash Brewing ending their national expansion strategy, closing Virginia Beach and Cellar 3, we have just learned that Green Flash Brewing, Inc.’s largest shareholder, Comerica Bank has foreclosed on it’s loans due to outstanding debt and poor business health and that Green Flash and Alpine assets have been sold to a risk management company in Michigan named WCIPA, LLC. We are still trying to learn more about this company. Here is the official memo that Green Flash President and CEO Mike Hinkley sent to over 100 shareholders this morning.

“Dear GFBC, Inc. Shareholders,

On behalf of myself and the Board of Directors of GFBC, Inc. (the “Company”), I am truly sorry to report that the Company’s senior lender, Comerica Bank, has foreclosed on its loans and sold the assets of the Company (other than the Virginia Beach brewery) to WC IPA LLC through a foreclosure sale which closed on March 30, 2018. As such, the Company no longer owns the Green Flash and Alpine businesses. Comerica Bank is currently conducting a separate process to sell the Virginia Beach brewery.

After a general slowdown in the craft beer industry, coupled with intense competition and a slowdown of our business, we could not service the debt that we took on to build the Virginia Beach brewery — and in early 2018, the Company defaulted on its loans with Comerica Bank. While we took substantial efforts to recapitalize the Company over the past several months, both before and after the bank default, we were ultimately unable to close a transaction.

While the Green Flash and Alpine brands will continue, they will do so under new ownership — and GFBC, Inc. and Alpine Beer Company, Inc. will be wound down and dissolved. I sincerely thank you for your support over the years.

Sincerely,
Mike Hinkley
CEO
GFBC, Inc.”

I have never understood the hype around Green Flash or Alpine.  I couldn't care less if I drank another beer from them ever again.

Damn. That's a tough pill.

Alpine was incredible when they were a tiny brewery in Alpine and Pat and his son Sean made all the beer.

I heard a story from the founder of Alesmith, Skip Vigilio, about Pat once. Pat was a fireman and started Alpine by contracting with Alesmith to use their gear at night when no one was there. Pat used to pour so much hops in his beer that Skip challanged him, "you will never make your money back on using that much". Pat, "That's not the point".

Maybe 10 years ago they were taking on investors to grow in Alpine, but ended up selling to Green Flash. The beer suffered for quite a while, but the last few Duets and Nelsons I've had have been on point.

I met Pats parents once at the brewpub eating lunch. They were super nice and extremely proud that their son had built something that was attracting people from all over to Alpine.

ISU, I think I did send you some Alpine when it was still Alpine and you weren't nuts for it. That was a head scratcher for me, but Ive never gotten the hype behind Surly, or LP's Yellow Rose for that matter, so guess we all have out expectations. I still fondly recall that Toppling Golliath you sent.

I hope somehow Alpine winds up with the McIlhenney's.

More evidence that the craft beer revolution is over. There's just too much good beer everywhere now to justify the hype behind any single beer or brewery. In the end, we won.

Russian River is finally expanding with their new Beer Disneyland in Windsor. I'm curious how that's gonna play out.

27 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

I don't think the barrel aging adds much to it.

I don't know, I really love Pecan Porter, but I think the barrel aged versions are extremely tasty.  There's room for both, at least in my beer world view. :)

Green Flash Rayon Vert was a fucking spectacular beer. Green Flash Double Stout was just as exciting. I hadn't seen either on shelves in ages. I'd say I'd miss em if I didn't already think they'd already died.

Also, word is is that 512 is opening a larger brewery/taproom in a different location, but haven't heard much about it in several months.

3 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

ISU, I think I did send you some Alpine when it was still Alpine and you weren't nuts for it. That was a head scratcher for me, but Ive never gotten the hype behind Surly, or LP's Yellow Rose for that matter, so guess we all have out expectations. I still fondly recall that Toppling Golliath you sent.

The beers that stick most in my mind from our trades were the RR sours and the Pizza Port IPAs.  Those were all spectacular.

Honestly, I can see where someone would be underwhelmed with Surly.  I think the quality of their distro products has slipped a little since they built the new mega brewhouse too.

We'll maybe have to fire the ol' trade machine up again.  TG has built a new brewhouse and making better hops than ever on that system.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

I did really enjoy Rayon Vert, but as BC mentioned, they haven’t made it in years.

I do think the large national craft brands are going to continue to struggle; too much local competition.

I think this pretty much nails it:

In 2017, 60 percent of the craft category’s total growth was from microbreweries and another 16 percent was from brewpubs, according to the Brewers Association. About 6,300 breweries are now operating across the country.

8 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

I did really enjoy Rayon Vert, but as BC mentioned, they haven’t made it in years.

I do think the large national craft brands are going to continue to struggle; too much local competition.

I think this pretty much nails it:

In 2017, 60 percent of the craft category’s total growth was from microbreweries and another 16 percent was from brewpubs, according to the Brewers Association. About 6,300 breweries are now operating across the country.

National brands that maintain excellent quality will be fine.

I live in an area pretty inundated with excellent local craft beer and Sierra Nevada and Lagunitas remain fixtures in my fridge.

GF/Alpine have been a major step down for awhile to my palate 

Was in Tahoe this past weekend for one last hoorah on the slopes and there was a beer festival going on. 25$ for 20 breweries most of the California mainstays plus several smaller ones

A few pics, I always forget to take pictures, too busy drinking and talking to people but I did snap a few

RtdVNeR.jpg

9cPulzd.jpg

The blonde on the left was a smoke show and birthday juice was the best beer I tried that day

bxN9emR.jpg

1RmBw0P.jpg

After hitting up the beer tents we needed food so base camp pizza it was, they have a good tap and bottle list

xOCR5ot.jpg

Taplist pic was blurry, go figure I was smashed. Went back to Harrahs and crashed all afternoon....

Had the best night in my life at the craps tables, that story will be posted later in the gambling forum

This year's Barks for Beers. This time, only 25 breweries instead of 30, but still a pretty good deal for $25

http://divinecanines.org/barksforbeers/?doing_wp_cron=1522802073.3598139286041259765625

Also, a lot of breweries flipped over, either because they decided it wasn't worth the hassle or the company is trying to get more exposure to the outlier breweries. No ABW, ABGB, Jester King, Zilker, Indy, or Hops & Grain (which is odd since their huge dog philanthropists). Here are the new participants:

Participating breweries:

4th Tap Brewing Co-op

Acopon Brewing Co.

Adelbert’s Brewery

Black Star Co-op

Blue Owl Brewing

Bluebonnet Beer Company

The Brewtorium Brewery & Kitchen

Celis Brewery

Circle Brewing Co.

Family Business Beer Company

Flying Man Brewing Co.

Live Oak Brewing Company

NLand Brewing Company

NXNW – Slaughter

NXNW – Stonelake

Oskar Blues Brewery

Real Ale Brewing Company

Red Horn Coffee House & Brewing Co.

Southern Heights Brewing Co.

St. Elmo Brewing Co.

Strange Land Brewery

Suds Monkey Brewing Company

Thirsty Planet Brewing Company

Two Wheel Brewing Company

Whitestone Brewery

On 3/31/2018 at 8:08 PM, Buzzrock said:

Oberoning it up at the least assuming beer bar in Panama City Beach.

217abb68897b76120170192c0927160c.jpg

Still the best pool beer on the market as far as I’m concerned especially if you get the mini kegs.

You West Coast and TX guys need to get your hands on some Allagash offerings. I just finished off the last of my cases of White and am about to go through the bombers I have of others. Then I’ll need to make a trip back to GA or Chi to restock. I still have not had a bad offering from them after buying most everything you can get in nonlimted distribution.

14 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

This year's Barks for Beers. This time, only 25 breweries instead of 30, but still a pretty good deal for $25

http://divinecanines.org/barksforbeers/?doing_wp_cron=1522802073.3598139286041259765625

Also, a lot of breweries flipped over, either because they decided it wasn't worth the hassle or the company is trying to get more exposure to the outlier breweries. No ABW, ABGB, Jester King, Zilker, Indy, or Hops & Grain (which is odd since their huge dog philanthropists). Here are the new participants:

Participating breweries:

4th Tap Brewing Co-op

Acopon Brewing Co.

Adelbert’s Brewery

Black Star Co-op

Blue Owl Brewing

Bluebonnet Beer Company

The Brewtorium Brewery & Kitchen

Celis Brewery

Circle Brewing Co.

Family Business Beer Company

Flying Man Brewing Co.

Live Oak Brewing Company

NLand Brewing Company

NXNW – Slaughter

NXNW – Stonelake

Oskar Blues Brewery

Real Ale Brewing Company

Red Horn Coffee House & Brewing Co.

Southern Heights Brewing Co.

St. Elmo Brewing Co.

Strange Land Brewery

Suds Monkey Brewing Company

Thirsty Planet Brewing Company

Two Wheel Brewing Company

Whitestone Brewery

Very surprised they did it again. I will be taking advantage.

23 hours ago, RCRanger03 said:

I've never had a beer that I enjoy more than Pecan Porter.

(512) Pecan Porter is still my favorite local brew. 

I had a (512) Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter last night on tap.  It was good, but I thought it lost the regular Pecan Porter taste.  Tasted more like a barrel aged stout to me.

Also, man, my palate has changed. The recipe seems spot on from what I remember, but damn, Raspberry Celis is cloying as fuck. Still fun to drink, but after the nostalgia wears off, I don't know how much I will buy.

I am concerned I will have the same reaction but holding out hope I won’t. Fingers crossed.

19 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Digging Hops & Grains' Terpene Dream.  Maybe my favorite of all the new IPA/APA's they've been canning (Lupuin Rodeo, Pellets & Powder, Dispensery)

I liked it when they first tapped it. Good stuff and glad to see it in cans. 

The last batch of Lupulin Rodeo was good as well as Pellets & Powder but Haze County is hit or miss.

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

(512) Pecan Porter is still my favorite local brew. 

I had a (512) Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter last night on tap.  It was good, but I thought it lost the regular Pecan Porter taste.  Tasted more like a barrel aged stout to me.

My experience has been similar. I love pecan porter and order it often, but the barrel aged double doesn’t do it for me the same way. The whiskey barrel flavor takes away from what makes the beer special. That doesn’t mean I won’t seek it out and enjoy it. 

OMG Y'ALL IT'S HAPPENING!!  BBABH (Bourbon Barrel Aged Bud Heavy).  Who wants to camp out and wait in line for the release?

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/budweiser-teams-with-jim-beam-on-new-bourbon-barrel-aged/article_4632db3f-6815-5ed0-9986-c7fb358b3f35.html

Budweiser teams with Jim Beam on new bourbon barrel-aged beer

Budweiser and Jim Beam, the Kentucky bourbon whiskey maker, have partnered to create a new beer that will launch later this fall. 

Prior to the launch, the two brands will begin a marketing tour, appearing at bars and retail venues together to promote the new brew inspired by the “beer and a bourbon shot” occasion.

In September, the pair will unveil a new limited edition beer called Budweiser Reserve Copper Lager. The beer will be brewed with two-row barley and will be aged on Jim Beam bourbon barrel staves to create a toasted oak aroma and nutty taste.

“We are very excited about this partnership not only because both brands share common history but also an obsession for quality and a decade’s long connection to America,” said Ricardo Marques, Vice President of marketing for Budweiser. “This is a truly unique partnership and innovation that will surely drive excitement with our drinkers.”

Last year, Anheuser-Busch InBev dug deep in the archives of its St. Louis brewery for a new beer called Budweiser 1933 Repeal Reserve.

A-B has rolled out numerous line extensions for Bud Light, but line extension for its flagship Budweiser are rare. Prior to the Repeal Reserve, the last Budweiser line extension was in 2012 when the brewery launched the limited edition Budweiser Black Crown.

Both the Repeal Reserve and Reserve Copper Lager come as market share for Budweiser continues to fall in the U.S. 

Budweiser’s annual volume was down 7 percent last year, lowering it to fourth most popular beer in the U.S. behind Miller Lite for the first time. Bud Light is the top-selling beer in the U.S., followed by Coors Light, Miller Lite and Budweiser.

OMG Y'ALL IT'S HAPPENING!!  BBABH (Bourbon Barrel Aged Bud Heavy).  Who wants to camp out and wait in line for the release?
http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/budweiser-teams-with-jim-beam-on-new-bourbon-barrel-aged/article_4632db3f-6815-5ed0-9986-c7fb358b3f35.html
Budweiser teams with Jim Beam on new bourbon barrel-aged beer
Budweiser and Jim Beam, the Kentucky bourbon whiskey maker, have partnered to create a new beer that will launch later this fall. 
Prior to the launch, the two brands will begin a marketing tour, appearing at bars and retail venues together to promote the new brew inspired by the “beer and a bourbon shot” occasion.
In September, the pair will unveil a new limited edition beer called Budweiser Reserve Copper Lager. The beer will be brewed with two-row barley and will be aged on Jim Beam bourbon barrel staves to create a toasted oak aroma and nutty taste.
“We are very excited about this partnership not only because both brands share common history but also an obsession for quality and a decade’s long connection to America,” said Ricardo Marques, Vice President of marketing for Budweiser. “This is a truly unique partnership and innovation that will surely drive excitement with our drinkers.”
Last year, Anheuser-Busch InBev dug deep in the archives of its St. Louis brewery for a new beer called Budweiser 1933 Repeal Reserve.
A-B has rolled out numerous line extensions for Bud Light, but line extension for its flagship Budweiser are rare. Prior to the Repeal Reserve, the last Budweiser line extension was in 2012 when the brewery launched the limited edition Budweiser Black Crown.
Both the Repeal Reserve and Reserve Copper Lager come as market share for Budweiser continues to fall in the U.S. 
Budweiser’s annual volume was down 7 percent last year, lowering it to fourth most popular beer in the U.S. behind Miller Lite for the first time. Bud Light is the top-selling beer in the U.S., followed by Coors Light, Miller Lite and Budweiser.

Taste the synergy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ turn off your stupid tapa signature bozo.

I have fallen off the craft brewery bandwagon a bit. I guess I'm getting old and boring, because now that I have Two Hearted Ale and Jai Alai constantly available, I don't really bother putting much else in my fridge. I keep 6 packs of those on hand at all times, and that's just about all I drink besides what I'm trying to clear out of by cellar. Been on a bourbon kick the last 2 years, and have been collecting those instead of trying new beers. Seems like quite a few people have also moved on to Bourbon, as it's getting tougher to find the good stuff that used to sit on shelves just a few years ago. 

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

^ turn off your stupid tapa signature bozo.

I have fallen off the craft brewery bandwagon a bit. I guess I'm getting old and boring, because now that I have Two Hearted Ale and Jai Alai constantly available, I don't really bother putting much else in my fridge. I keep 6 packs of those on hand at all times, and that's just about all I drink besides what I'm trying to clear out of by cellar. Been on a bourbon kick the last 2 years, and have been collecting those instead of trying new beers. Seems like quite a few people have also moved on to Bourbon, as it's getting tougher to find the good stuff that used to sit on shelves just a few years ago. 

Craft beer sales continue to increase, so I'm not sure the evidence supports that.  Overall beer sales declined slightly last year, so perhaps it's all the folks giving up on Bud Light that are starting to buy up your favorite bourbons.  

Sounds like you've just settled in on a couple of beers you like, which is fine, but it doesn't seem to be indicative of any national trend.  If anything it's the opposite, the variety and quality of craft beer is increasing just about every day.

I have fallen off the craft brewery bandwagon a bit. I guess I'm getting old and boring, because now that I have Two Hearted Ale and Jai Alai constantly available, I don't really bother putting much else in my fridge.

Nothing wrong with that. Drink what you like and fuck the rest of it.

Sometimes this thread goes a whole page without someone mentioning a beer I think will be obtainable to me, and/or I’m interested in, but I’ve always followed it and I always will.

Lots of pretentious wieners in the bourbon scotch game now. Don’t switch to a $15+ drink habit just because it’s the cool thing.

5 hours ago, utee05 said:

Haze County is hit or miss.

Haze County was phenomenal at the taproom. I think I drunk posted about at the time on the old thread. Bought it in a can and it was terrible. It didn’t even look like the same beer. On tap it was a gorgeous hazy golden elixir and poured from the can it looked like diabetic piss with blood mixed in.