2018 Beer

HenryJames

4 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Come at me bro.

0415e45d457fb2d85d67ef979b1b8ad5.jpg

Bissell Brothers NE IPA is legit.

Allegash White was nice. I think I like Celis better.

Well I should hope so, Celis White is the best Belgian-style witbier on the planet.  

But I'm a fan of Allagash for sure.  They do some really tasty Belgians and other experimentals. 

Edited by utee94

Best breweries in Charlotte? Staying near Uptown next weekend but not too far from the light rail so I can go to NoDa and SouthEnd. Thinking I'll go to NoDa on Saturday and SouthEnd on Sunday. Plan to hit up Heist, Birdsong, and NoDa brewing. Excited to check out a new city.

Edited by mdmost

Hi Sign's Peach Sour Berliner Weisse is the best fruited sour Berliner Weisse I've ever had, and I feel very confident I'd say that even if it wasn't the only fruited sour Berliner Weisse I've ever had. So good I filled the growler with it instead of the Hi-C I stopped by for.  Although I did grab a 4 pack of Hi-C for later.

These guys are absolutely wrecking shop. If you haven't been, you need to make this place a priority. 

So I'm at this place last night where the "craft beer" choices were Stella, Shock Top, and Karbach Hopadillo.

Karbach has always been hit or miss for me even before the InBev (?) buyout, but given the other choices I ordered one fully expecting to be underwhelmed.

I must say it was quite excellent, so f the haters.

Beer report from a week in Colorado in order of when I drank them:

Upslope Rocky Mountain Kolsch (Boulder)  Very good Kolsch.  Very smooth and very bummed that this is only a spring seasonal.   

Great Divide Claymore Scotch Ale (Denver) Excellent Scotch Ale.  Really good example of this style.  

Denver Beer Princess Yum Yum (Denver).  Raspberry Kolsch.  Very fruity and one was enough.  Doubt I’ll ever try this one again.  Don't know that anything from Denver Beer has ever been "great" to me.  

Pikes Peak Golden Ale.  (Monument) Belgian ale.   Really didn’t care for this one.   Just too yeasty and reminded me why I usually skip Belgians.

River North Pils. (Denver)  Very easy to drink and is a lot like a Czech pilsner.  A definite session ale.  Liked it a lot. 

Upslope Citra Pale Ale.  (Boulder) New hop (Citra) pale.  Drinkable but a little too citrusy.   I wanted to like it but there are other Upslope offerings that are better. 

Fremont Summer Ale (Seattle) Very drinkable summer beer.  It’s a seasonal so if you see it around, grab it. 

New Image Paul Vermont Pale Ale (Arvada).  Super cloudy NEIPA.   Reminded me of Great Heights NE IPAs and that is a total compliment.   Needed a little time in a glass to really open up on the flavors.

Upslope IPA.  (Boulder) Good IPA and pretty representative of a “normal” west coast IPA.   I think I can find this in Houston.

Bierstadt Slow Pour Pils (Denver) Light and clean.   This is from a small brewpub and worth trying if you’re up there.   Great with a meal.  Had this with some Korea BBQ.   

Fremont Lush IPA. (Seattle) Very tropical and not like a traditional west coast IPA but I liked this one enough that I wish I could get it down here.   Fremont makes some really good beer. 

Elevation 8 Second Kolsch. (Poncha Springs)   Great beer.   Reminds of me of Love Street.    Along with the Tempter IPA below, the only beer I had more than once this week.  Bought sixers of both while in Breck and wish I could get it down here. 

Telluride Tempted IPA (Telluride).  Liked as well and another one I wish I could get down here.   A really good IPA 

Great Divide Titan IPA.  (Denver) Nice IPA.  Worth seeking out at home and Spec’s (downtown) has it. 

Breckenridge Kensho Kolsch. (Breckenridge) A little too fruity.  Not sure what's causing that.  Had this a couple of years ago and like it better then.

Breckenridge Summer Pils. (Breckenridge)  A lot like St. Arnold's Summer Pils but lighter and less filling.  Like it for a weekend drinker if I could get it.  

Breckenridge Hop Peak IPA. (Breckenridge)  Rotator seasonal.  Sort of traditional IPA with hoppy goodness. 

Outer Range In the Steep IPA (Frisco).  Just a little cloudy but not a typical NE IPA.  Some really good citrus notes without being  overhelming.   

Broken Compass Czech Pilsner(Breckenridge) Very nice pilsner.   Simple but a good beer.  If you’re in Breckenridge, swing by their tap room south of town. 

Vail Brewery Hot Mess Blonde.  (Vail)  Bit more of a bite than your normal blonde and likeable.    This was the only Vail offering I saw anywhere in Breckenridge and Frisco. 

South Park Ranch Hand Cream Ale.  (Fairplay) Might my favorite beer of this trip.   Smooth and easy to drink.   The rest of the South Park lineup doesn’t intrigue me all that much but I will seek this one out the next time I’m up there.

Melvin IPA (Alpine, WY) – Trying to do too much.   Sort of cloudy but not a NE IPA.   Not hoppy like a West Coast IPA and kind of odd.  I wanted to like it but it just didn’t hit the spot. 

Pug Ryan Peacemaker Pilsner. (Dillon) Super mild for a pilsner.  Sort of sweet.  Could drink a few of these.  

Left Hand Kolsch.  (Longmont) Super tasty kolsch.   Might be the best Left Hand offering out there and their Milk Stout is one of my favorite beers ever.   

Tivoli Helles (Denver).    Nice but nothing special.  Had this with an average burger at the Canteen  in Breck.  The burger was better. 

I'm going to cross post my favorites from this list with an update on the "Vail (summer)" thread along with  trip report.   

• Like 1

Hit up hops and grain, 4th tap, and Celis today.

Hops and gain is cool if you are really into hoppy beer. They had 16 offerings and I think 12 were ipa, double ipa, or apa. I’m not a hop head so it doesn’t do much for me.

4th tap is always hit or miss as they have three mediocre constant beers and eight or so orbitals. I always like some and hate some. My suggestion is to ask for tasters until you find something decent and then drink that. Tap room is nice for a lesser known brewery.

First time at Celis today. Solid selection of beers and nice tap room. They have a lot of stuff on nitro, including their raspberry fruit beer. I asked about that and both bartenders insisted that fruit beers on nitro were going to be big soon. I don’t know if I buy that but it was really good. Their tripel goes down way too easy. The white is pretty damn good for what it is. They have about 10-12 offerings and I haven’t made it through all of them as it was the last stop. 

Fair weather cidery is on the list for next weekend. Anybody been yet? Not much of a cider person but they do dry ciders, which I prefer.

2 days left in Minneapolis. Going to surly tomorrow. Anything else with hitting?

Also headed to Denver next week soplease more recs

If your close to the Rockies stadium then Crooked Stave is close. Also TRVE, Cerebral, and River North I have liked.

Or you could just say fuck and it and visit Blue Moon.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Hops and gain is cool if you are really into hoppy beer. They had 16 offerings and I think 12 were ipa, double ipa, or apa. I’m not a hop head so it doesn’t do much for me.

4th tap is always hit or miss as they have three mediocre constant beers and eight or so orbitals. I always like some and hate some. My suggestion is to ask for tasters until you find something decent and then drink that. Tap room is nice for a lesser known brewery.

First time at Celis today. Solid selection of beers and nice tap room. They have a lot of stuff on nitro, including their raspberry fruit beer. I asked about that and both bartenders insisted that fruit beers on nitro were going to be big soon. I don’t know if I buy that but it was really good. Their tripel goes down way too easy. The white is pretty damn good for what it is. They have about 10-12 offerings and I haven’t made it through all of them as it was the last stop. 

Fair weather cidery is on the list for next weekend. Anybody been yet? Not much of a cider person but they do dry ciders, which I prefer.

Texas Keeper (UT alum operation) and Argus are a much better choice than Fairweather

19 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Staying in Highlands Ranch by the botanical gardens. I will be there 26-30.

Nothing special in the way of breweries in that area. Davidson’s Liquor will have a great selection to choose from. Parry’s Pizzeria has a huge taplist. Some beers to look for: Weldwerks, Odd 13, 4 Noses, La Cumbre, and Melvin if you like IPAs. I like a lot of the beers from River North as well. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

whats yr yelp handle?

On 7/13/2018 at 5:56 PM, PantsTent said:

This is pretty solid. If it's still available in a couple of weeks when I'm on the island, I will pick some up. Having said that, any other Maui recs other than Maui Brewing?

7e381c3bff738c01d234ec4b156c1751.jpg

I think Maui brewing is the only one on the island of Maui...most of the craft brewers are on Oahu. Maui does have a nice tap room at the brewery in Kihei and when I was there 2 summers ago, they had around 20-30 different varieties on tap at the taproom, though they probably have about 10-12 of those available in stores around the island, depending on what is seasonally released. Definitely worth a stop if you want to kill a couple of hours on a nice afternoon. 

15 minutes ago, PencilPusher said:

I think Maui brewing is the only one on the island of Maui...most of the craft brewers are on Oahu. Maui does have a nice tap room at the brewery in Kihei and when I was there 2 summers ago, they had around 20-30 different varieties on tap at the taproom, though they probably have about 10-12 of those available in stores around the island, depending on what is seasonally released. Definitely worth a stop if you want to kill a couple of hours on a nice afternoon. 

Thanks. Seems there is a fairly new Kohola Brewery in Lahaina.  But, yeah, I'll see what different ones I can find in cans in the stores as well.

Was at 4th Tap earlier tonight. They've upped their game a bit as long as you stay away from the gruits. Not the best in town, but not the worst either. Very kid and dog friendly if that matters to you.

Actually had a pretty nice guava IPA as well as a decent Biere de Garde, which I typically don't enjoy.

Was at 4th Tap earlier tonight. They've upped their game a bit as long as you stay away from the gruits. Not the best in town, but not the worst either. Very kid and dog friendly if that matters to you.

Actually had a pretty nice guava IPA as well as a decent Biere de Garde, which I typically don't enjoy.

Este?
a2c9024251b88264d1fd431d98736964.jpg