2018 Beer

HenryJames

Live Oak Hefe is by far my favorite.

That LaCumbre “Slice of Hefen” I tried day before yesterday was great, although I won’t be able to get in H-town unless I just haven’t seen it before.

St Arnold Weedwhacker is solid, but I miss getting it in bottles.

I did like the Goliad Black Hefe, but it is RIP.  

I tend to like trying hefes also because some of the hoppier brewers tend to take it easy on the pine cones, if you will.  I have a better shot at enjoying the beer.

I gravitate to porters and stouts, but to Dark Horse’s point, why not broaden the choices?  Especially in the summertime.  

Edited by slorch

FYI: picked up at Costco Dallas this afternoon (along with a Wagyu brisket to smoke at some point soon). $27 for 24 quality beers (and bottled June 6th) ain’t too bad.

c505810da16557c1ee5914b7dacab02e.jpg

I always look forward to trying the latest Luponic Distortion installment. Makes a good post-mowing beer too.

c9c728b7f046125d19aad97009298412.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Czech fan as well. 

Which ones are your favorites? Big Bend has changed theirs up, and it's really good. For the Germans I like Weihenstephaner and Schneider Weisse.

utee94 likes Widmer most of all.

Well now you're just being mean.

I did notice that Big Bend had changed the name and branding of its Hefe.  I liked the original version ok, but honestly thought Steve would have made it more like LO, which he didn't.  I'm sure he wanted to make his own mark, but it was always just ok for me.

I'll give it a try though, always up for another good hefe.

In the bay area for a week. Going to Russian River later today. Any other must haves?

If you’re looking for a cool brewery scene, check out Faction across the bay at sunset. Stunning views of downtown SF on an old Navy base. Good beers to boot.

a4958154b353a4f6213bd3cca6e8fd6e.jpg

0e004b37d009ce0933655659927c5dd3.jpg

b6bf7902412448dc8b68588e827f6dc7.jpg

3ef80e20ecd998077b4cca7c42e17946.jpg
  • Like 2

My pleasure. Also if over by Faction and want to eat before or after, Drake’s Dealership is a cool half tap-room/half tap-yard restaurant. Actually going later when dark would be cooler:

e03989e0d0bcf12e7924984824c2b35a.jpg

de974ce07f5f0db5ef1ae751e988785e.jpg

Also the Fieldwork taproom in Berkeley is cool (pic in a post i had from a day or so ago above).

My favorite bar in SF is the Toronado. However, AUTF on here is the expert so if he sees this he may have more suggestions.

Also, if up by Russian River/Santa Rosa way and you’re wanting to hit more breweries, I went to both Lagunitas’ brewery/taproom and Bear Republic’s taproom a few years ago on a trip to the area. Nothing exotic about those though. Russian River should be the main stop (and last stop?) of that night:

226dfe657054b28febac0ad7a9667782.jpg

61349f8347080ab1c3c9991fdc1b2e73.jpg71a1cf4c3c08c38c53aaaa1428e0b45f.jpg

mdleast thank you man. I knew you would come through
Good job mdl, I taught you well.

Seriously, just come to Tornado and drink all day. Everything worth drinking will be on at some point and for a lot less than anyplace else. $4 for a pint of Blind Pig and $5 Pliny can't be beat.

If it's after 2:30 and you see some guys playing Dominoes, I'm probably there. Ask for Shawn Rocker, don't be shy.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Okie State said:
19 hours ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:
68bb8021e1cec5b28657ce8407e54155.png

not a fan of this.

fcb5fe8cd39cfe2e08d836372e862c81.png

That brewery sucks balls too. Drank probably the worst stout I've ever had there.

They make the worst beer I’ve ever tasted. The marketing scheme of the website is clearly guns and oil all over again. Guys that know nothing about beer just trying to ride the craft beer wave.

They make the worst beer I’ve ever tasted. The marketing scheme of the website is clearly guns and oil all over again. Guys that know nothing about beer just trying to ride the craft beer wave.
You can tell they have some money backing them as the tap room is pretty nice. I just wasn't impressed with any of the beers I tried.

In fairness, they also have the worst wine I’ve ever tried. Completely undrinkable and I’m far from a wine snob. 

Their website used to have a section called “it takes a Texan” with pics of their owner doing manly Texan shit like shooting guns, driving trucks, etc. Nothing wrong with that stuff but it reeked of amateur hour craft beer for rednecks.

• Like 1