2018 Beer

HenryJames

12 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Working my way through a Maui Brewing sample pack.

78fafd72105177fcf7c5a5a32c23b879.jpg

Let us know what you think of the Maui offerings. I remember drinking a couple of these (Pineapple Mana) coming back to shore from one of the snorkeling trips and it seemed pretty good after flailing around the water for a couple of hours. 

Maui Brewing pub near Lahaina. Nice spot with pretty good food and kid friendly. While waiting I ordered a Fancy Footwork and told the bartender that I've now had this at both ABW and Maui. She was all 'wow so cool, nobody has ever said that before'. Yeah me I guess. The nitro imperial coconut porter was also really good especially with dessert that was made with it.

The spotlights interfered with the picture but here was the tap board.

7cde3661e6854385d6652ea66b2811e4.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

That’s funny. Just flew into SD and my first beer is the Belching Beaver Mexican chocolate pb stout and it’s amazing. Checking out the brewery tomorrow. 

We just got a bunch of BA version of that and a BA horchata stout too. Let me know if you taste them as I am curious. Still haven't tried any of their sours yet either, but the ipa's have all be really solid. If you see any Revision around give it a shot too, one of the best at hazy ipa on the west coast.

7 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

That’s funny. Just flew into SD and my first beer is the Belching Beaver Mexican chocolate pb stout and it’s amazing. Checking out the brewery tomorrow. 

That's a good beer and a good brewery.  I'm also a fan of their brewery/taproom model -keep it lean and cheap in a cheap industrial warehouse district. 

Tried my first beer from Brazos Valley, Momma Tried Double IPA and it was better than I was anticipating. Would buy again. Also picked up some Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, liked it as well but it was $3.00 or so more per sixer than the Momma Tried DIPA so advantage aggy?

That's a good beer and a good brewery.  I'm also a fan of their brewery/taproom model -keep it lean and cheap in a cheap industrial warehouse district. 
Grabbed these at a bottle shop in Encinitas when I was in SD a few weeks ago. The Artifex stuff I had was solid8728ea9f98cac8f8738d826a4fbc526a.jpgeb677e1defffeed52c2363d5b37a889c.jpg
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

You rang?

ac398c28204fc3e57fd6796ff5645d5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20180804_160153.jpg

Might be time to drink the 2014 and the coffee

31 minutes ago, D_Goose said:

Weren't all the 2015 bcbw's infected? I thought I remembered them all getting the gonorrhea that year.

I think some but not all, if I remember correctly

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

a35e44a29dfb1edb2b18a49610f35963.jpg

Havent been here in a few years, but stopped by to grab some crowlers of their ciders... which are actually legit. As bad as their beer is, i have a hard time believing Houston Cider Co. are the same guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cider;dr

20 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Whatever happened to pale ales and session IPAs? As someone who drinks at restaurants and bars on a regular basis, it would be nice to enjoy some hoppy beers that aren’t 8% abv. Am I alone in this?

Can't vouch for the quality as it's been a couple of years since I had one, but Full Sail Brewery in Oregon makes a few session beers. Check their website. 

On 8/3/2018 at 8:14 PM, Mr.Hovis said:

Tried my first beer from Brazos Valley, Momma Tried Double IPA and it was better than I was anticipating. Would buy again. Also picked up some Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, liked it as well but it was $3.00 or so more per sixer than the Momma Tried DIPA so advantage aggy?

BVB/Mama Tried gets a lot of love here and it seems to always be on sale for about $7-8. Don't let that influence your decision to branch out to other IPAs bc IPAs are pricey to make and are usually priced reasonably to allow some sort of margin for the brewery/retailer. Also, MT isn't a DIPA, its an IPA, although they recently released Double Mama, which isn't a DIPA either, but double dry hopped. Great beer and brewery.

I recently did a side by side with their Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo, and Galaxy IPAs

I was kind of surprised I preferred Mama Tried, even though Citra isn’t my favorite hop (could have been the freshest). Good Texas brewery though, despite aggy.

All that barleywine talk earlier in the thread made me go get an Old Numbskull.

Did I see that GHB is making a barrel aged barleywine? Can Surly get first dibs?

1 hour ago, Bottlecap said:

BVB/Mama Tried gets a lot of love here and it seems to always be on sale for about $7-8. Don't let that influence your decision to branch out to other IPAs bc IPAs are pricey to make and are usually priced reasonably to allow some sort of margin for the brewery/retailer. Also, MT isn't a DIPA, its an IPA, although they recently released Double Mama, which isn't a DIPA either, but double dry hopped. Great beer and brewery.

Yeah, it was the Double Mama that I had, went through that pretty quick and have been buying the mix & match sixers for the past couple of weeks. I am not able to  distinguish between a majority of the local IPA's that I tried lately(could be my hop scorched taste buds)but still looking for something that really stands out. A blind tasting might be in order to see which beers I actually prefer. Also,  I get beer envy looking at all the post from the west coast brew pubs. I want a Belching Beaver too dammit!