2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

14 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

We leave for Baltimore monday, any idea what the rotation will set up to be?
Side note lilshep will be throwing out first pitch in round rock August 17th.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

It's going to be something like:

Bad Ass

Bad Ass

Bad Ass

Guy having career year

2016 AL ERA leader reclamation project

• Like 1

Miley, #5, JV if they go back to a 5 man rotation.
They could get by with 4 guys with the two off days next week, in which case, Miley, JV, Greinke

That’s awesome about lil shep
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

That’s awesome. Looking forward to seeing some pics in here.

Say hello to uh.........well..uh............nm.

• Like 1

Harris County Houston Sports Authority directors approved plans Thursday for a $25 million renovation at Minute Maid Park, to be paid for by the Astros, that will include a new club for season ticket holders on the stadium’s suite level and changes in the right field corner resembling the recent center field renovations, including another open-access staircase between stadium levels.

Reid Ryan, the team’s president for business operations, said the renovations will take place alongside previously announced plans to renovate the suite level, which has not been substantially changed since the stadium opened in 2000.

While some details remain to be finalized, Ryan said the renovations will result in a reduction to Minute Maid’s total seating capacity.

“We’re excited that we got approval to move forward with the new additions, and we will have detailed plans for the public before the end of the season,” Ryan said.

The season ticket membership club will be located in an area now occupied by six suites on the third base side of the ballpark near the scoreboard control room. It initially will be open to season ticket holders who purchase a membership and will include table and high top seating with food and drink service.

The right field upgrades, which will result in the removal of some second deck seats, will include what Ryan described as premium food and bar service and a staircase that will include standing room space, similar to the center field area that was renovated in 2018.

Kenny Friedman, chairman of the sports authority, said Thursday’s vote was in keeping with past instances when the Astros have sought permission to make changes to the publicly owned stadium.

“We at the sports authority are happy that they are such great stewards of our stadium,” Friedman said. “They have done an outstanding job of maintaining and keeping it state of the art.. Were proud of the stadium and proud of our tenants.”

so i heard luhnow on sirius mlbn around 1pm today, "inside pitch" maybe - not sure.  it was a really good interview, he broke down the whole process.

basically he said they talked about it a lot on tues, got crane's approval for the financial part - that he's been very supportive and excited any time jeff has a plan to improve.  then it came down to medical and prospects we were giving up.  said they finalized it with 25 min left, had to get all emails in, everything approved.  he said he didn't want it to leak too quickly - so he waited to tell anyone.

then he said after 3pm, he decided to call a player (he didn't say who), said he knew once a player knows, a bunch of them know, then someone tells their agent, then the agent tells someone like ken rosenthal.  he said the time it took after he told the player for rosenthal to break it was about 4 minutes.

when asked about resigning cole, he mentioned that cole was one of the most excited about the trade - but everyone is.  they feel the support, and it energizes everyone.  he said the choices are tough, with money, with prospects, but now that they've seen how winning a world series affects a city, a fan base, an organization - that there are certain aspects beyond analytics - that make things worth it (not to mention franchise worth, perception, residual money they make down the line, tickets, etc).  basically that if they get to the deadline, it's about "leaving no stone unturned" that could possibly improve their chances, that's when you regret things.

also said forrest whitley texted him after the news, and said, "you traded away all my friends".  luhnow said, "yeah, i got you another mentor" and that whitley was ok with that.  said having verlander, cole, and greinke around the staff, around the younger guys is invaluable.  much more important for pitchers (over hitters) because so much of the game is mental.

we're in good hands with crane/luhnow/reid and crew.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so i heard luhnow on sirius mlbn around 1pm today, "inside pitch" maybe - not sure.  it was a really good interview, he broke down the whole process.

basically he said they talked about it a lot on tues, got crane's approval for the financial part - that he's been very supportive and excited any time jeff has a plan to improve.  then it came down to medical and prospects we were giving up.  said they finalized it with 25 min left, had to get all emails in, everything approved.  he said he didn't want it to leak too quickly - so he waited to tell anyone.

then he said after 3pm, he decided to call a player (he didn't say who), said he knew once a player knows, a bunch of them know, then someone tells their agent, then the agent tells someone like ken rosenthal.  he said the time it took after he told the player for rosenthal to break it was about 4 minutes.

when asked about resigning cole, he mentioned that cole was one of the most excited about the trade - but everyone is.  they feel the support, and it energizes everyone.  he said the choices are tough, with money, with prospects, but now that they've seen how winning a world series affects a city, a fan base, an organization - that there are certain aspects beyond analytics - that make things worth it (not to mention franchise worth, perception, residual money they make down the line, tickets, etc).  basically that if they get to the deadline, it's about "leaving no stone unturned" that could possibly improve their chances, that's when you regret things.

also said forrest whitley texted him after the news, and said, "you traded away all my friends".  luhnow said, "yeah, i got you another mentor" and that whitley was ok with that.  said having verlander, cole, and greinke around the staff, around the younger guys is invaluable.  much more important for pitchers (over hitters) because so much of the game is mental.

we're in good hands with crane/luhnow/reid and crew.

Thanks for posting that, I enjoyed the insight.

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Those suite level improvements are sorely needed
Had an opportunity to sit in a suite for the first time earlier this year and my impression was that they looked like they probably did in 2000.

Sure enough.

I hate Drayton McLane but you have to give him some credit for helping design and build a stadium that has withstood the test of time unlike Chase Field which the Dbacks are trying to replace. Even more props to Jim Crane for spending their own money and not trying to stick the taxpayers like the McNairs did for NRG upgrades a couple of years ago. 

• Like 1