2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Fuck me on that potential Bryce Harper deal last year. He would have crushed the Crawford boxes 

I do wonder what the price tag for it was, and if they made that trade would they still have had the capital to make the Greinke deal. Given that Harper was going to leave after the season, and is a clubhouse cancer, he's the Chris Paul of MLB, I'd rather have Greinke, Sanchez, and Biagini for multiple years.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

how is shane reynolds getting in there? off the top of my head these guys are more deserving:

- roy oswalt

- mike hampton

- dave smith

The inaugural class is the 9 guys with retired numbers + the members of the Walk of Fame on Texas Ave.

I feel like this is asked and answered every time this Hall of Fame comes up.

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Good data on our two new Blue Jays:

It appears that Sanchez projects to be the next Cole, as he had a similar repertoire and pitch mix that wasn't working with the Pirates. He probably will not match Cole's 4 seam velocity, but Cole's K rate went from 8.7 the year before the Astros to over 12 with the Astros. Cole's career high was 9.0 which came in his 2nd season. Biagini seems like a younger Harris. Harris has a two pitch mix of cutter/curve.

Both Cole and Harris will be FAs after the season, while Sanchez(2021) and Biagini(2023).

7 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Which one of those is Reynolds? He was pretty meh if I recall correctly 

The Walk of Fame.

Also, you don’t recall correctly. Just to pick Hampton, since you cited him as more deserving and they were teammates: Reynolds played almost twice as long for Houston (all or part  of 11 seasons vs. 6) and was consistently better. Hampton’s best year with Houston (and for his career) was 1999, when he put up 4.9 fWAR. Reynolds had 6.0 that year. He equaled or bettered that 4.9 3 times, and had another season of 4.5 fWAR. Even taking their entire careers into account, Reynolds has more WAR (32.6 to 27.8) in over 100 fewer appearances (305 to 419).

No issue with Reynolds making it.

He’s basically a top 8 starter in Astros history and 8 starters made the hall in the inaugural class...

The problem is Roy O is arguably the best starter in Astros history (leader in WAR for pitchers by a long shot). How he didn’t make it is a head scratcher.

I can only venture that they wanted to hold back a few guys (Oswalt, Berkman) who contributed heavily to the 2005 World Series team and recognize them next year on the 15 yr anniversary.

Edit: I see above now about the retired jerseys and walk of fame. Didn’t realize that.

My comment about the ‘05 World Series will be a nice tie in next year though

Biagini during this presser right now:
"it is awkward to introduce yourself to all these guys...I mean we already messed up a handshake in the shower.  Ooops maybe I shouldn't have said that"

I love this shit as a fan... just hope it plays as well in the locker room

I could definitely see Biagini turning in to “that guy” that annoys the shit out of everyone after 24 hours.

how is shane reynolds getting in there? off the top of my head these guys are more deserving:
- roy oswalt
- mike hampton
- dave smith

Listening to the Bill Brown podcasts, completely forgot Strom taught Reynolds the splitter in Venezuelan winter ball.

I mean, I recall reading that before, probably the last time it came up about whether he belonged in this hall thing, but did not connect the two now.

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Listening to the Bill Brown podcasts, completely forgot Strom taught Reynolds the splitter in Venezuelan winter ball.

I mean, I recall reading that before, probably the last time it came up about whether he belonged in this hall thing, but did not connect the two now.

Yeah, I had never heard that story.  Makes me love Strom even more.