2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

36 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

Griffey was there in 95

Trout is good, but I don't think transcendent though. I'm an Astro fan so im probably biased. 

I said it

Here are the 4 most comparable players to Trout through age 26, per Baseball-Reference:

(1) Frank Robinson; (2) Ken Griffey Jr; (3) Mickey Mantle; (4) Hank Aaron 

...and that's before this season, which may be his best. 

At age 27, he has more career WAR than Ernie Banks, Tony Gwynn, Eddie Murray, Ryne Sandberg, Duke Snider, Craig Biggio, Andre Dawson, Roberto Alomar, and more HOFers had in their entire careers. Before the season is over, he'll probably pass Derek Jeter, Barry Larkin, Frank Thomas, Reggie Jackson and Johnny Bench. 

He is the definition of "transcendent" (though I guess it depends on what you mean by the word). The dude is a fucking unicorn. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Here are the 4 most comparable players to Trout through age 26, per Baseball-Reference:

At age 27, he has more career WAR than Ernie Banks, Tony Gwynn, Eddie Murray, Ryne Sandberg, Duke Snider, Craig Biggio, Andre Dawson, Roberto Alomar, and more HOFers had in their entire careers. Before the season is over, he'll probably pass Derek Jeter, Barry Larkin, Frank Thomas, Reggie Jackson and Johnny Bench. 

He is the definition of "transcendent." The dude is a fucking unicorn. 

So why aren't the Angels winning rings? Yes, I know their pitching is/has been awful. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So why aren't the Angels winning rings? Yes, I know their pitching is/has been awful. 

Because he's one of 25 players on the roster. Today's game is a bit of a microcosm...he HRs in the 6th and the 8th (putting his team up by 2) and they still lose. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

He is the definition of "transcendent" (though I guess it depends on what you mean by the word). The dude is a fucking unicorn. 

He doesn't really do shit against us so that's what I'm basing it on. 

Mantle (1951-68) played with these Hall of Famers (not counting Bobby Cox as a player who went in as a manger/wifebeater):

DiMaggio 1951

Yogi Berra 1951-64

Whitey Ford 1950, 1953-67

Phil Rizzuto 1951-56

Enos Slaughter 1954-59

Johnny Mize 1951-53

They had other players who were multiple time All Stars like Maris, Hank Bauer, Elston Howard, Tony Kubek, Moose Skowron, Richardson, Tresh, Pepitone; and pitchers like Raschi, Reyolds, Lopat, Bob Turley, Stottlemyre.  They were fucking loaded and had more talent than every other team in the league.

3 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Mantle (1951-68) played with these Hall of Famers (not counting Bobby Cox as a player who went in as a manger/wifebeater):

DiMaggio 1951

Yogi Berra 1951-64

Whitey Ford 1950, 1953-67

Phil Rizzuto 1951-56

Enos Slaughter 1954-59

Johnny Mize 1951-53

They had other players who were multiple time All Stars like Maris, Hank Bauer, Elston Howard, Tony Kubek, Moose Skowron, Richardson, Tresh, Pepitone; and pitchers like Raschi, Reyolds, Lopat, Bob Turley, Stottlemyre.  They were fucking loaded and had more talent than every other team in the league.

Not to mention that there was no draft or free agency back then, and there were AL teams that would essentially serve as the Yankees' farm system by selling or trading their good players to them annually. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

21 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You can't be serious with this.  In case you are,

• he's one of 25 players on the team
  • yes, their pitching sucks
  • they are a terribly run franchise with an owner who is willing to spend but gives out huge contracts to the likes of Josh Hamilton (and then gave him away for pennies on the dollar because addicts gonna addict), washed up Albert Pujols, C.J. Wilson, and Vernon Wells
  • they've been run by neanderthal Mike Scioscia until finally running him off only to replace him with his 20 year yonger clone, neanderthal Brad Ausmus
  • he's one of 25 players on the team.  This isn't the NBA and Trout isn't a NFL QB.

If the Angels ever got a competent, modern front office/manager team, with their market and Moreno's wilingness to spend, they would be a huge threat in the division.  Luckily, I don't think Moreno has it in him.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Not to mention that there was no draft or free agency back then, and there were AL teams that would essentially serve as the Yankees' farm system by selling or trading their good players to them annually. 

How is that different from now?  The Yankees actual farm system is good these days but they are still usually the highest bidder for players that small markets grow but can't afford to keep. 

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What's Seth Beer's call up timeline?

If he keeps raking in double AA and gets promoted to AAA for a bit this year maybe he gets a call up at the suepr 2 deadline next year. More lkely it is later in the year. And yes he plays mostly 1st base. 

Edited by rvm96

15 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

How is that different from now?  The Yankees actual farm system is good these days but they are still usually the highest bidder for players that small markets grow but can't afford to keep. 

The draft disperses amateur talent (no team can draft everybody). The international cap helps disperse international amateurs. Free agency obviously allows guys to leave their teams and join other teams. Sometimes this benefits the NYY, but they hardly come away with all the good FAs. The luxury tax helps to further prevent this. 

The KC Athletics supplied the NYY with big-league talent, essentially acting as a partner franchise. There was a book written about it:

Image result for The Kansas City A's and the Wrong Half of the Yankees

6 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

The draft disperses amateur talent (no team can draft everybody). The international cap helps disperse international amateurs. Free agency obviously allows guys to leave their teams and join other teams. Sometimes this benefits the NYY, but they hardly come away with all the good FAs. The luxury tax helps to further prevent this. 

The KC Athletics supplied the NYY with big-league talent, essentially acting as a partner franchise. There was a book written about it:

Image result for The Kansas City A's and the Wrong Half of the Yankees

And the Browns, they sold players to stay solvent.

9 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Dammit, had to go to a family function at the end of 5 and missed all the cray. Regarding Beer, even though he’s rapidly moving through the system, he hasn’t seen triple A yet, so he still has to clear that level. 

What was interesting while reading an old article the other day is that Altuve never played triple AAA until a rehab assignment last year

Just now, rvm96 said:

What was interesting while reading an old article the other day is that Altuve never played triple AAA until a rehab assignment last year

Thought about that before I made the post, and weighed it against the fact that our farm system then is nowhere near as talented as it is now. That said, I suppose there is still enough time for them to bump him to RR, and Beer continue to wreck shop to get him up before the playoffs.

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So what's Yordan's projected position other than DH? I know he's played some left, but I think his bat earned him a shot at first. 

Seems like DH/OF. Maybe he can learn 1B, but they haven't really been playing him there (in the minors). He's mostly a DH it appears. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

1 minute ago, Wishbone said:

Not sure an AL team would have let Yordan go as easily as the Dodgers.

There was a lot of discussion in the spring that Alavarez was largely absent from the top prospect lists. Law and the FG guys all said that guys like Alonso and Yordan would have been rated more highly if there was a DH in both leagues (which many expect to happen soon). 

18 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Seems like DH/OF. Maybe he can learn 1B, but they haven't really been playing him there (in the minors). He's mostly a DH it appears. 

45 tool grade in speed, arm, and field. Still has to be better than White defensively. 

Also a 55 in power which is insane. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Yeah, someone like Alvarez definitely strengthens the all MLB DH argument. Guys that can hit like him should be seen/played and not bypassed due to less than ideal results in the field. By this I mean freakish talent at the plate with average to less than average field play that would otherwise be limited to opportunities available in half of the MLB (AL). 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What's the trade market for Tyler White? I know he had three hits today, but this featuring White for trade bait stuff is getting out of hand. He shouldn't be playing every day. If Alvarez has a pulse at first, he should be playing there. 

There is no trade market for White, he and Kemp will be DFA'd when Correa and Diaz get back from the IL.

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

im not sure kemp gets dfa'd. he's a solid bench player but so is straw 

who backs up yuli at 1st when you cut white ?

Diaz, who was the backup before he got hurt as White was the primary DH that sat out when one of the position players was getting their turn at DH.

I think Straw goes down and then White clears waivers and accepts an assignment to Round Rock.  Kemp sticks around for now.  They really should have traded at least 2 of White, Kemp, Marisnick, and Fisher for lower level lottery tickets by now.