2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

20 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

6, 12, 18, 24, 30, and sometimes 36 are the only acceptable numbers for Seth Beer. 

How about an image instead of a number or a letter, like a barrel, or a keg, or a spigot?

Edited by Wishbone

I think Straw goes down and then White clears waivers and accepts an assignment to Round Rock.  Kemp sticks around for now.  They really should have traded at least 2 of White, Kemp, Marisnick, and Fisher for lower level lottery tickets by now.

I don’t know that White clears waivers, believe it or not.
The rest of your post I agree with.

By my count, Astros have two days left to do something with Reed. I’m curious if he’ll clear waivers.

21 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I don’t know that White clears waivers, believe it or not.
The rest of your post I agree with.

By my count, Astros have two days left to do something with Reed. I’m curious if he’ll clear waivers.

I tend to agree. There seems to always be a team that believes that a change of scenery could be the ticket, and he’ll be a cheap risk.

10 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I don’t know that White clears waivers, believe it or not.

Agree. Somebody will claim him. He's been a slightly above-average hitter in 808 career PAs, and a lot of teams have more space than the Astros do. No reason for a club like BAL (now run by ex-Astro) or DET or KC not to give him a shot. 

Agree. Somebody will claim him. He's been a slightly above-average hitter in 808 career PAs, and a lot of teams have more space than the Astros do. No reason for a club like BAL (now run by ex-Astro) or DET or KC not to give him a shot. 

Haha
Those are the three teams I thought about off the top of my head too.
Especially Baltimore being led by Elias and Chris Davis as their first baseman.
And Royals relying on...Lucas Duda at first

(But premptive “IDGAF as long as he’s not an Astro” post)

4 hours ago, Scraps said:

Yeah I pretty much expect this.  We play @LAA starting next Monday so get your popcorn ready 

They're definitely gonna plunk him.  If they do it professionally, in the hip, and he goes to first quietly, that ought to be the end of it.

If they go head hunting, well, let's just say I'd move Yordan to 1B so he can be the first one there when we reciprocate.

This reminds me of some of the helmet-to-helmet calls in football. People watch slow motion replays and jump to conclusions about intent.

The thing that always gets me (in this case and in football) is that people act as though the guy who gets hit is static. Both players are moving. How many times have you seen a ball-carrier in football duck his head at the last millisecond and helmets collide? Very often there is nothing the defensive player can do to stop that. This feels similar...Jake looks like he is a little uncertain of which way to move and he moved left...and Lucroy moves to the same spot at the exact same time. This is in a small area in a split second. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

This reminds me of some of the helmet-to-helmet calls in football. People watch slow motion replays and jump to conclusions about intent.

The thing that always gets me (in this case and in football) is that people act as though the guy who gets hit is static. Both players are moving. How many times have you seen a ball-carrier in football duck his head at the last millisecond and helmets collide? Very often there is nothing the defensive player can do to stop that. This feels similar...Jake looks like he is a little uncertain of which way to move and he moved left...and Lucroy moves to the same spot at the exact same time. This is in a small area in a split second. 

Yep. From what I've seen, the people claiming Jake did it intentionally all seem to be relying on Gifs of the moment of impact and not the entire play. The impact was ugly There's not disputing that, but I think it's clear that Jake didn't do it intentionally. Regardless, he'll probably get suspended and will almost certainly get plunked. 

Since he’ll only pitch, at most, 2 innings, I’ll take the under

Yeah, I’m well aware he’ll pitch 2 innings at most.

I’m also aware, best case, he’ll face four lefties and won’t face a guy with less than 20 HRs this year:

Yelich (31)

Baez (22)

Freeman (23)

Bellinger (30)

Arenado (20)

Bell (27)

I love JV and feel good he’ll be there when we need him in October, but like Clemens in 2004, I’m afraid he gets roughed up tomorrow.

Yelich: HR

Baez: K

Freeman: BB

Bellinger: K

Arenado: K (passed ball)

Bell: HR

Contreras: K

The rare 4 K, 2 HR inning with no balls in the field of play

52 minutes ago, Scraps said:

At 36 years & 139 days old tomorrow, Justin Verlander will be the oldest starting pitcher in an All-Star Game since 2006, when 41 year-old Kenny Rogers started.

The Roaster?

• Like 1

i'm fine with him going one inning, doing some high-fiving, then jumping on a plane.

Ah yes, the ol Verlander plan for Game 7 of the World Series in LA, rendered superfluous, of course, by Charlie Freaking Morton.