RIP Doris Day

phdhorn

97, Pneumonia.

Doris Day was my ideal woman times 50.  She was sexy yet "girl next door" sweet and wholesome.  I would have climbed over broken glass to wife her.  I've heard a comment or two that my own wife vaguely resembles her.  Thanks Sigmund!

Plus she had a weird connection in a way to Charles Manson.  Her son (Terry Melcher) was a big producer who knew well and worked with the Beach Boys.  When Melcher told Manson he wasn't really interested in signing him to a recording contract and to go away (he thought Manson was a pest and glomming on to Dennis Wilson, which he was), Manson got pissed - and set up the murders, partly because he thought Melcher would be at the residence (I think Roman Polanski bought the house from Melcher or something).  I.e. Manson wanted to either kill Melcher or send a message he was out there.

Anyway, my bucket list would have included an Ann-Margaret/Doris Day sandwich.  I loved her stuff and just thought she was the "perfect" looking hottie.  RIP...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, irvingtwosmokes said:

Good childhood memories, I had such a crush on her in the late 60's early 70's

Same here, great memories of her movies, but as a kid watching her, she didn't exude sexual charisma IMO. She was pretty as all get out, but didn't do it for me like an Anne Margaret.  Even Grace Kelly, as wholesome/goddess like as she looked had that sex thing, for me at least.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Same here, great memories of her movies, but as a kid watching her, she didn't exude sexual charisma IMO. She was pretty as all get out, but didn't do it for me like an Anne Margaret.  Even Grace Kelly, as wholesome/goddess like as she looked had that sex thing, for me at least.

Ann came after Doris, it was the sexiness of baked beans...lol

17 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Heh heh. True, but they were all from my youth..I remember seeing Marilyn for the first time as a kid. She exuded sex like Madonna did in the 80's.

As you mentioned, Grace was damn fine herself. Marylin died less than a year before I was born, so I missed out on that crush. There was also barbi Benton in the early/mid 70's

Edited by irvingtwosmokes
  • Like 1

Stayed at her boutique hotel in Carmel once. Her movies played all over the hotel and in the bar, along with her movie posters hanging everywhere. Carmel-by-the-Sea is a beautiful town by the ocean. Also home to Clint Eastwood who used it as a backdrop in Play Misty for Me.

Edited by Brandywine

13 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

See phdhorn, post #17, for an explanation.