Some notes from Northern Europe

Brisketexan

Need more strawberry pics.

You’ll get ‘em.

I think the german ones were better, though.
The clowns of the sea!  They don't look like they should be able to fly.

Man, they were zipping all over the place. Really cool to watch.

Is that ketchup? 

Yes. Ketchup and mustard. We have Norwegian friends, they advised that was the preferred condiment set for a Norwegian hot dog. So, when in Rome and all that...

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Also, because why not, I waded put into the fjord. Imagine how cold it is. It’s actually colder than that. A lot colder. But, I did it, because fuck it, experience stuff.

The Norwegians just took a whooping in the World Cup.  You should send brisketjr into town to see if any of their womenz need some consoling.

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Also, because why not, I waded put into the fjord. Imagine how cold it is. It’s actually colder than that. A lot colder. But, I did it, because fuck it, experience stuff.

Yup... like the last time we were in the Netherlands, we went to the coast and I decided to jump in the water because why not?

On 6/26/2019 at 4:31 PM, Brisketexan said:

Oh, and DDD, since you asked:

12c96cbfa257a7addfd3a0def7507c31.jpg

They are bacon wrapped then crushed on the griddle. And the hot dog itself is actually fantastic - has a real sausage taste, but still like a hot dog. And super cheap (not much else in Norway is).

How could you tell, with all that fucking ketchup on it?

I hope you shot the shit with that old fisherman for a bit.  The fjord pictures and the cooking cabin looked awesome.

Some grub. For lunch, we stumbled onto a seafood market with a hot food counter on the back side of Stryn.

Daughter got a....sandwich. It was multi layers, with cold salmon and shrimp and egg, and was damned good. And add a fish cake.

I got cod in cream sauce with a fish cake.

b514c1136e6194910f31466ccbf1b698.jpg

9487d5dcd94cd5372972576a4aab6085.jpg

And this is what one of the polses (great hot dogs) look like when they’re waiting....

eadfe08c9df64ebd4ccfd40268b5eb93.jpg

Breakfast??

No pics, but for the second time this trip, we had svele, Norway’s hand-held breakfast: a pancake smeared with sweet butter and folded over around slices of brunost (Norwegian brown cheese), and a cuppa coffee.

Waiting on our flight to Oslo now. I may grab another hot dog while we wait.

Some more images.

My shoes after hiking to and from the glacier. They’ve been all over - UK, Germany, Armenia, Austria, France, all over the US, and now Norway.

9a8c59c2ab1d2c0d9ac6363af7d5b7e0.jpg

1d7b3d92145309c7bb80e03bd717989c.jpg

bf04bf5e8063f6dcef73b53a1836ae4d.jpg

e280e1e91284ccdf6ed97158379443c8.jpg

And this last one from our cabin a couple of nights ago - live thatch roof of our outdoor dining room.

8fb51c95c2ad10afa13cceafb09ddab5.jpg

And yes....Chinese tour groups everywhere.

28e1adc8649b7943c50c53467e5f3168.jpg

But we’ve done pretty well avoiding them. They are all on cruise ships and/or tour buses, which all hit the sights early in the day. So, first half of the day, we mostly went to places off the beaten path (except the day we went to Geiranger, there’s no avoiding people on the ferry). Then, maybe around 1:00-2:00, we’d head to the bigger destinations. When we hiked to Briksdal Glacier, we probably saw a total of 300 people, up and back? We spent 45 minutes at the glacier, just sitting and listening, and there were several times when we were utterly alone. We had no trouble with crowds anywhere in western Norway.

looks like a normal family to me...  maybe you've been spending to much time in the Fatherland?

Yeah, I just grabbed a shot when I saw a chance. There were probably 100 on our ferry. They are so prevalent that the ferry’s narration of fjord landmarks is done in three languages: Norwegian, English, and Mandarin.

Passable Norwegian = English, only louder and slower? 
DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH?

She starts in German and fakes the rest.

Current situation, at our friends’ rooftop flat:

f64dd02498d4349e72acddd4a7f45bb3.jpg

Kicking back, catching up on laundry, relaxing. We’ll tackle Oslo tomorrow.
  • Like 1

And...had to run around the corner to the grocery store for a couple of things.

They’ve got real Texas BBQ!

8c3d2adc47a38ed487b46287aa65ccb9.jpg

And if you want anything Mexican, our good friends at Old El Paso have em covered:

cbabfc63b6b70dcba18368dea1627842.jpg

a1a0a8711a156fec83b0fb95ffd0374c.jpg

That said, I hauled a coupla packs of HEB fresh tortillas over here for them.

And, all the brown cheese.

6dc6f3701ad427c7c4e698c9aec088e0.jpg

And yes, they had strawberries. And yes, I got some for us to eat on the patio for dessert.

a890a6448fd3e2f10c444fcc17189c07.jpg

que es Taco Tub?
Where ever I travel I also wander through the grocery stores ...   Fun fact, you can't get half and half in many European countries.

Looks like a rectangular shaped taco salad bowl/shell. In other words, something that would be at home in the Steel Shank thread. Also, something awesome.