2020 Democratic Debates Watch Thread

bad_teammate

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yes, Trump will win over Midwest as more plants close under his watch. 

Instead of promising free healthcare and reparations, just tell those Midwest hicks that you're bringing manufacturing jobs back. Guaranteed win

25 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

She’s a troll candidate.  Don’t fall for it.  She’s insanely unfit for the presidency 

Dude.   Obviously.   Just pointing out she had several terrific answers.   She was actually a net positive to have on the stage tonight.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'd rather see a bit more charisma in my VP. That's about all they're good for.

i think he has an enormous capacity to be charismatic.  more than anyone else on the stage.  he's in over his head and has seemed shook and he doesn't have the same kind of substance as many of the others.  i think he'd be back in his element cheerleading for someone else who is setting the agenda and taking the heat.

11 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

White midwest working class voters maybe. But they don't need to. They need to convince more Midwest minorities to vote.

There is no Barack Obama up there to fire up Midwest minorities unfortunately. Best way to win those Rust Belt states is to win over the mouthbreathers

28 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Beto is the perfect VP candidate for anyone really.  Just because of Texas.

Castro , he's smarter and a real Latino

Dems are not going to win Texas, best to pick Pete or even this Ohio Ryan - for the Midwest. 

Edited by NowThis

Concern is noted. You and dbeasy can shut the fuck up now. 

Screw you. I don’t think charging after all these far left policies all at once is the way to win an election, and by the way some of the folks on msnbc just said the same thing.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Those are some unpopular positions.

Only because people need to be sold before they become popular.  It’s easy to make a position unpopular when people only hear one side.  

Public opinion on Obamacare before/after out front should have...

STOP READING INTO BULLSHIT MANUFACTURED POLLS 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

Oh yes I always forget that Dems are required to run and lose on “popular” policies while Republicans win by advocating *checks notes* cutting services, repealing healthcare, building a wall, deportation forces and forcing Jesus down our throats. 

Very mainstream ideas. Totally legit.  Run on your god damn ideas and sell them instead. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 4

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Only because people need to be sold before they become popular.  It’s easy to make a position unpopular when people only hear one side.  

Public opinion on Obamacare before/after out front should have...

STOP READING INTO BULLSHIT MANUFACTURED POLLS 

Still need 60 votes.

Dang.

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oh yes I always forget that Dems are required to run and lose on “popular” policies while Republicans win by advocating *checks notes* cutting services, repealing healthcare, building a wall, deportation forces and forcing Jesus down our throats. 

Very mainstream ideas. Totally legit.  Run on your god damn ideas and sell them instead. 

Ding ding ding.

The numbers are clear as day. The Democratic platform is far more popular with the American public. They need to stop worrying about a small bloc of voters that probably isn't voting for them anyway and worry about finding the true silent majority - those that identify with their platform but don't vote.

My performance rankings for the night:

1) As a supporter, I couldn't be happier with Warren's performance.   A+ night for her.  Hit all the right notes.  

2) Pete was great, with the exception of his answer to the race question, which sounded pretty canned.   He's dead in the water for pres because he won't improve with POC, but he'd be a great VP. 

3) Beto had a good night overall and is in the VP mix. 

4) Sanders had some really good moments but was under the most fire and took some damage.  I think he took actually some hits for Warren. 

5) Marianne Williamson is a joke of a candidate and going nowhere, but she actually had a great performance.   Some batshit crazy moments, but several fantastic moments too. 

Everyone else sucked ass.   Klobuchar is boring as fuck and will give away the store to Republicans.  Delaney actually is a Republican, fuck him.  Hickenlooper seems like a nice guy, that's about it.   Bullock and Ryan offer literally nothing, and Trump would destroy their WWC voter act. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Oh? Do tell.

With the way Trump is setting egregious precedents by circumventing Congress left and right, almost anything is possible.

The real vote is what it would take to overturn an executive branch policy. 

The abuse of power by the Trump administration  is making many things, previously unimaginable, possible for a Democratic Administration.

You reap what you sow Republicans.

Tonight is a perfect illustration of why Bernie and Liz both need to be running and stay in. Sanders drew tons of fire from the others and from the moderators, and Warren was more free to roam and shine.

If she was the only one up there for single-payer, it wouldn't go as well.

Comradeship.

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

With the way Trump is setting egregious precedents by circumventing Congress left and right, almost anything is possible.

The real vote is what it would take to overturn an executive branch policy. 

The abuse of power by the Trump administration  is making many things, previously unimaginable, possible for a Democratic Administration.

You reap what you sow Republicans.

Not Medicare for All, though. That requires a statute no matter what The Donald does.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Tonight is a perfect illustration of why Bernie and Liz both need to be running and stay in. Sanders drew tons of fire from the others and from the moderators, and Warren was more free to roam and shine.

If she was the only one up there for single-payer, it wouldn't go as well.

Comradeship.

That's exactly how I saw it.  I felt a little bad for him, because I think he helped her poll numbers more than his own while doing great work. But she was great and maximized her opportunities. 

It's funny how the media tried to make tonight about Warren vs. Sanders in advance, but it was more them versus the others. 

Just now, Mojo Hand said:

That's exactly how I saw it.  I felt a little bad for him, because I think he helped her poll numbers more than his own while doing great work. But she was great and maximized her opportunities. 

It's funny how the media tried to make tonight about Warren vs. Sanders in advance, but it was more them versus the others. 

They want 1 and 2 in each round to fight. Didn’t get it tonight. They’ll get more than enough tomorrow. 

Williamson is spot on with her dissection of Trump's psychology.  She dips into the human element of our politics, our deepest emotions and fears, human motivation & she nails it. 

I hope she gets a show on MSNBC 

Edited by NowThis