The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

8 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Oh, I’m sure that made a difference. I just never could get into the guitar. I have a friend who still gives me shit, and believes I just had a shitty one. 

I had a Gibson SG that was nice, but it didn't do anything for me. Traded it for a Silverface Champ and a bunch of cash. 

Paid $300 for it from a kid who worked for me. He got it as a gift and wanted to unload it.

Edited by Deej

Pardon the interruption:

I am reshuffling gear, and I'm about to take a couple of very lightly used ribbon mics to reverb.  One is an Avantone CR-14, and the other is an SE Electronics R-1.  Like new, including case, shock mount, etc.  They are pretty much made for recording electric guitars.  I'll give you the surly discount...i.e. you won't get one cheaper.  PM me if interested.

10 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

Speaking of telecasters....deej to the courtesy phone

Uhgh.  I can't believe how much Jimmy Page showboated out there.  The bow was so over the top ridiculous.  He just crapped all over the blues legends.

Nah, I'm kidding.  I was trying to channel some posters when they watch the Prince HOF induction show.  This was amazing.  So raw.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been dying for a lap steel for a long time and, well, who likes dying? Bought yesterday. 
dzfaicpeo5l7gkaxeqep.jpg

Let me know if you find any good learning resources. I have two I picked up here and there on “can’t pass up” deals because one day I was going to learn to play them. I haven’t gotten around to doing too much with them. Pics when I get back from Memorial Day trip because I am well aware of the rules.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Well I returned the strat and ordered a SG standard but may go back cancel and grab this....
https://huberbreese.com/products/gibson-sg-standard-61-maestro-vibrola-electric-guitar-vintage-cherry-1?_pos=3&_sid=0ee607275&_ss=r

it’s only $500 more and way cooler. I think and it’s the color I want 

My SG has the vibrola. I’m a fan of the SG, but even with a set up by a great tech, it goes out of tune far easier than any other guitar I have. Not a fan of the vibrola.

11 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Well I returned the strat and ordered a SG standard but may go back cancel and grab this....

https://huberbreese.com/products/gibson-sg-standard-61-maestro-vibrola-electric-guitar-vintage-cherry-1?_pos=3&_sid=0ee607275&_ss=r

it’s only $500 more and way cooler. I think and it’s the color I want 

Interesting. It states it has orange capacitors instead of the period correct bumblebee’s? The 61 was still being marketed as a Les Paul, and shared some components with the earlier Burst’s. Hell, my 61 had Les Paul printed on the truss rod plate.

I believe the SG designation happened a few years later. I heard Les Paul bitched about using his name on what he believed to be an inferior product. 

2 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Interesting. It states it has orange capacitors instead of the period correct bumblebee’s? The 61 was still being marketed as a Les Paul, and shared some components with the earlier Burst’s. Hell, my 61 had Les Paul printed on the truss rod plate.

I believe the SG designation happened a few years later. I heard Les Paul bitched about using his name on what he believed to be an inferior product. 

I listen to a podcast called Gibson vs fender and they explained how Leo left and started G&L because he felt the quality of the low ended guitars had slipped but was unaware about Les Paul. My budget was originally 1200. My plan: help local shop but a Mexican strat of some kind. Now I’m gonna almost double that lol. I don’t have a SG In the collection and thought this was a cool one. They had others but they were over $3500. If I’m spending that kinda money I’m buying a ES 335 with the bars on the neck. I can’t spend that right now so I felt like this scratches the itch of filling a hole in the collection and the need to buy ALL THE GUITARS LOL. It is concerning that it isn’t all period correct. Are you saying I shouldn’t buy? Or that i should look at a similar priced model? I know nothing about sg’s and until recently didn’t see myself buying one for a while but then this one appeared. I figured the guy may do a good deal for me seeing how they didn’t want to order me a new stardard because it would take months. I’m gonna call today and ask if they could blow this one out. Let me know what you think I respect this boards knowledge on guitars and I’ve learned a lot 

thanks

Just a few comments about Fender's solid rosewood necks. They feel flat out amazing. Very smooth and fast. However, expect it to have to deal with a bit of fret sprout initially. Once you address it, you shouldn't have to deal with it again, but most seem to have it in the beginning to some degree or another. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Goredho said:

What is a post-modern closet classic?  Like how does that compare spec-wise to a real or reissue blackguard/broadcaster/nocaster?

Neck material and shape....color faded. Hand wound 58 Tele pickups. I prefer a C shape neck. A modernized (some would say bastardized). Not I...

• Hook 'Em 1

This may be sacrilege but I’m considering selling my Les Paul 60s standard.  It’s a great guitar, but it’s not getting played over my Tele and ES-335 and isn’t the best fit for the type of music I’m making these days.  Selling it would free up some cash to get a nice acoustic (traded the ‘64 Epiphone Texan for my Tele, so all I have is a shitty entry-level Takamine).   At some point down the road when I get a wad of cash, I would shop hard for a nice R9/R0 that begs to be played.

Am I an idiot?  Any interest here in the going reverb rate minus the 7% fee but plus shipping costs (prolly around $2000).  It’s pretty much mint.

2A952452-91D3-4191-A14B-B23E4CBD51D6.jpeg

FCA1A034-713D-4243-85AA-25F3DB5A5323.jpeg

7E3405CB-3EC0-4C7F-A7BF-5666631850ED.jpeg

5F7A6FDF-9295-41EE-AE35-26F30C6C4A84.jpeg

F02E04A9-6792-4C3E-8614-A269E7AD4AC3.jpeg

E025D085-069D-4BF8-90B5-943A124B00B9.jpeg

FBAD7975-5056-4AFC-91F0-D46DCCB6D038.jpeg

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/31/2021 at 12:04 PM, Goredho said:

This may be sacrilege but I’m considering selling my Les Paul 60s standard.  It’s a great guitar, but it’s not getting played over my Tele and ES-335 and isn’t the best fit for the type of music I’m making these days.  Selling it would free up some cash to get a nice acoustic (traded the ‘64 Epiphone Texan for my Tele, so all I have is a shitty entry-level Takamine).   At some point down the road when I get a wad of cash, I would shop hard for a nice R9/R0 that begs to be played.

Am I an idiot?  Any interest here in the going reverb rate minus the 7% fee but plus shipping costs (prolly around $2000).  It’s pretty much mint.

Keep it. You will just end up buying another one later. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'm not even kidding. Be patient, take a few months off from buying anything new, tuck some money away.

Yeah, I listed it on reverb, got a couple offers and... I pulled the ad.  Not ready to let it go yet.

• Like 2

Rereading Goredho's post. 

isn’t the best fit for the type of music I’m making

I would shop hard for a nice R9/R0

Fucking love this. 

"Doesn't suit my style, maybe if I bought a more expensive one?"

Take notes. This is how you do it. 

Edited by Deej
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/31/2021 at 12:04 PM, Goredho said:

Would you take $500 and a hug?