The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

20 hours ago, Superhero said:

Don't limit yourself to those brands either. Just play until you find one that sings to you.

I regret the day I walked away from a $600 Takamine. It played and sounded so sweet. My Eastman is a great guitar, but 10 years later I'm still thinking of that Takamine.

I picked on a bunch on Taylors and Martins at GC a couple of years ago. They were nice but didn't make me want to pull the trigger. Then just for kicks I picked up a Yamaha G730, or some such thereabouts, and played on it a bit. It was the best feeling and sounding guitar in the whole bunch. But that label made me not really take it too seriously, and I already have a decent modest acoustic Asian made guitar. It was only around $200, used but in great shape. I kept thinking about it all week, how good it sounded and played and I should have bought it. Went back the following week and apparently somebody else tried it and discovered the same thing. It was gone. Since then I have picked up a number of Yamaha acoustics, and mostly are pretty decent, but I have never found one that was in the same class.

16 hours ago, Deej said:

Posted another pic before, but figured y'all might enjoy this one of my friend's Tele, naturally relic'd over 60 years. Those amps ain't too shabby, either.

Screenshot_20210623-223625_Facebook.jpg

I can smell the unfiltered Camels my dad fogged the den with....

Edited by noharleyyet
  • Like 1

That's a nice cabinet, for sure. I like that.

After I get the floor installed in my studio shed, my "shedio", I guess, I really would like to build some kind of lockable stout cabinet big enough for a few guitars and reduce the odds of theft. I surely ain't keepin' any of my best stuff out there, but still, I'd like to keep a few out there for spontaneous jamming possibilities. I'd like to have it built into the wall or something. Anybody here built anything like that?

Edited by DougO

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

Can you get a pic of the whole cabinets? I want to build this 

i don't think it is what you're imagining...not some sort of standalone cabinetry.  i just took out some shelves out of my existing office cabinets and created the space.  these pics taken with the super zoomed out lens on iPhone so the space is a distorted but you will get the idea.  This is the whole room from both corners to give you a sense of what i was going for.  all the guitars were on the floor in that corner with the cello and it was really annoying me so this was the solution.

IMG_8053.thumb.jpg.039373dad42e2bdee99384118689bd91.jpg

2053525230_IMG_8055copy.thumb.jpg.0a01beed26b4ce395fc6abdabd91acea.jpg

i still have to figure out what to do with the bass which annoys me.  couldn't shove it in with the rest without jacking up the look and it was just going to be too much weight.

3 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:
On 6/23/2021 at 5:52 PM, sidis said:
undertook a small home improvement project yesterday and got these off the floor.
IMG_8049.jpg.09b2e4d12f9077a47436a03f49bad2b3.thumb.jpg.960f07990182d0c645794976703b3263.jpg

Tell me about those hangers? I use the straight ones and i have a place I was about to install, but those let me do 3.

http://herculesstands.com/international/products/fretted-and-bowed-instrument/guitar/wall-hangers/gsp40wb-plus/

https://www.amazon.com/Hercules-Electric-Guitar-Stand-GSP40WBPLUS/dp/B07T1NVS7N/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&keywords=hercules+pivot+guitar+hanger&qid=1624670425&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-25

hold up to ~16 lbs each and les paul is the heaviest at 9-10.  I drilled the fuck out of that painted 1x3 into three studs back there with some pretty serious screws.  then, the screws that come with the hercules itself are pretty meh so i replaced them with something a little better.  i was very reluctant/skeptical on the pivot joints being sufficient so i did just one to start to test...but i have to say, pretty damned solid.  don't feel like there is excessive tension and they hold strong.  I put some heavier stuff on one to see if it would give any...nothing.

they've only been holding for about 4 days but so far, no reservations with recommending if installed correctly.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Drool 2

Found this.  A little rich for my blood.

https://vintageandrareguitars.com/collections/latest-arrivals/products/1960-rickenbacker-360-f-mapleglo

1960-Rickenbacker-360-F-Mapleglo-9_540x.

Then I found a guy in Australia who will make you one.  It's cheaper than an original, but still, not cheap.

137231299_2738066433189302_6909063359935

Looks a bit smaller across the lower bout.  Still, it's a reasonable facsimile.  And I'm sure you'd be the only one on your block who had one should you choose to go this route.  

My friend ordered a custom built bronze resonator from a builder in New Zealand a few years back. I can't remember what he paid for it, but I do remember that he hadn't budgeted the extra $500 he had to pay when it cleared customs in the USA.

Just something to consider.

Yeah I’d thought about that. It’s no little feat.

i bet i could put my Gretsch 6120N in a case and replace it with a 335 and wife would never be able to tell until she counts the guitar cases

would need to buy used. "what do you mean, obviously it is old. look at it, it's so... old"

Edited by Celery Man

Well the mom and pop shop I wanted to give my business to lost today. They took my money for the Gibson es335 sixties cherry figured and they told me they’d have to order it. He said about a month. Well I call for a update or to at least get email updates and he called me back to tell me no one even ordered it. He said it was a total screw up on his part but I’m headed to Chicago and may hit the Chicago music exchange. Anyone ever been there? I want a freaking es335 like I ordered but with that kinda coin I can get something bad ass. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :/ 

12 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Well the mom and pop shop I wanted to give my business to lost today. They took my money for the Gibson es335 sixties cherry figured and they told me they’d have to order it. He said about a month. Well I call for a update or to at least get email updates and he called me back to tell me no one even ordered it. He said it was a total screw up on his part but I’m headed to Chicago and may hit the Chicago music exchange. Anyone ever been there? I want a freaking es335 like I ordered but with that kinda coin I can get something bad ass. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :/ 

I bought my Strat from CME, but it was a remote buy over the phone.  It was a demo, so I was able to get it for 35% off new list.  They were fine in delivery, but the guitar was not set up well like I am used to from Wildwood.  It wasn’t a poor experience, they just didn’t go the extra mile to make sure I got a guitar I would love.  That it was a demo and I got a significant price break might have had something to do with that.

I ordered and paid for a pedal from CME.  It was shown on their website.  A week later, they sent me an email that they already sold it.  Took about a week to get my money back and the pedal was still shown on their site.  Sweetwater and Wildwood, at least from what I've seen, has better customer service....your mileage may vary.  

• Hook 'Em 1