Texas opens as a 2.5 point underdog @ TCU

TexasMan

27 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Texas needs a fast start in 1st quarter, or else TCU will play tough against Texas tomorrow.  Lots of folks believe TCU will run early in the Texas game, but I expect the horny toads to throw early and then run the ball late when the Horns defense is fatigued in the 4th quarter.

The Horns film against Kansas gives any team in the B12 a belief that Texas is beatable.  

Based on the last decade, every team in the B12 knows Texas is beatable. We were not exactly blowing everybody out last season.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

The F was that at the beginning of the TCU hype video?  An empty trophy case?  Is that what they use for motivation?  And are these the spooky halloween uni's?  I had that video on mute, doesn't quite have the same effect with no spooky music. 

My main concern in this game is how we performed in the 2017 opener against Maryland.
Pigrome was basically a running back who could throw a bit and he torched us. Our offense is better, but our defense is worse. Duggan/Delton/Anyone could have a great game against us.

1 hour ago, TexasMan said:

Phil Steele says TCU covers and wins outright 

and before you trash him, he has always been a big Texas/Tom Herman backer

Two on Horns247 predict TCU wins...

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-vs-TCU-Horned-Frogs-predictions-Sam-Ehlinger-Collin-Johnson-Devin-Duvernay-137435591/#137435591_6

"Horns247 staff predictions: Texas vs. TCU"

Bobby Burton, Publisher

It’s put up or shut up time for the Horns. Unfortunately, I feel like Texas remains in disarray, particularly on defense. Even so, TCU is a decidedly one-sided offense. If the Horns can stop the run, they have a chance to make it a long four quarters. I’ll take the Horns in a game that starts them back on right path.  Texas 27, TCU 23

Fuck Chip Brown, Columnist

I said before the season I thought Texas would lose at TCU. I predicted TCU would lose to both Iowa State and Kansas State and come into the Texas game looking dead on arrival and then make a quarterback change to Justin Rogers and ambush the Longhorns.  I'm going to deviate from that prediction slightly — to the tune of Texas winning 31-30 on yet another, last second Cameron Dicker field goal.  Sam Ehlinger, Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay have too many meaningful reps and plays made together to lose a game to a true freshman starting quarterback (Max Duggan) — even if that QB has Jalen Reagor to throw to and running backs Darius Anderson and Sewo Olonilua to hand it to.  Gary Patterson's defense, led by No. 90 Ross Blacklock, will make life miserable for Texas center Zach Shackelford, and Patterson will undoubtedly deploy a lot of the twists and stunts Oklahoma used to help beat Texas.  But Ehlinger makes enough plays to help out a beleaguered Texas defense in desperate need of an off-week to heal up.  Texas 31, TCU 30

Jeff Howe, Senior Writer

I’ve gone back and forth on predicting this game because I keep coming back to one thing: As bad as TCU’s offense has been (especially throwing the football) compared to some of the prolific attacks Sonny Cumbie has led since arriving in Fort Worth in 2014, everyone other than Rice has moved the ball on the Texas defense.  Todd Orlando is overseeing a unit that in five games defending Power Five offenses is giving up 191.8 yards per game on the ground (5.2 yards per attempt), 328.4 passing yards per game (8.5 yards per attempt, 13.2 yards per completion), 37.6 points per game and 6.88 yards per play.  The only thing folks should ask of the Texas defense is simple: Can the Longhorns get TCU quarterback Max Duggan into third-down situation where the Horned Frogs have to throw the football?  If so, Texas might be able to have success defending a TCU passing offense that’s either last or next to last in the Big 12 in completions (108), completion percentage (55.96), passing yards (1,212), yards per attempt (6.3) and passing touchdowns (nine).  Otherwise, TCU is No. 15 in the country in third-down offense (48 percent conversion rate) and it’s going to be hard (perhaps impossible) for the Longhorns to slow down Darius Anderson and Sewo Olonilua enough to matter in the end if the Horned Frogs can keep their two talented backs involved in the offense throughout the game.  The challenge for Sam Ehlinger and the offense facing off with the TCU defense is much more formidable. One key will be avoiding predictable play-call situations on third down since the Horned Frogs have one of the best third-down defenses in the country (30.6 percent conversion rate allowed, No. 18 nationally).  If Texas can convert on third down at a decent clip, something the Longhorns have done well throughout the season (55.8 percent conversion rate is second-best in the nation), it could work in the Longhorns favor come Saturday.  TCU is ninth out of 10 teams in the conference in red-zone defense, meaning the Longhorns should be able to continue having success when they get inside the 20 (24 of 26 red-zone scores by Texas have been touchdowns).  TCU doesn’t force turnovers (tied for last in the Big 12 with five takeaways) and doesn’t get pressure on the quarterback (only Kansas State has fewer sacks than TCU’s 11).  As long as Texas plays a relatively clean game offensively, Ehlinger and Co. should score enough to carry Longhorns to victory. Texas 38, TCU 34

Taylor Estes, Managing Editor

There’s no denying this is a huge week for Texas. A win over this TCU team, led by true freshman QB Max Duggan, will give the Longhorns some positive momentum as they enter the open week on the schedule. With all of the injuries piling up on defense and a near-death win against Kansas, it’s imperative that the Longhorns enter Amon G. Carter Stadium Saturday with fire in their eyes ready to make a statement ahead of the bye week.  The offense has been the strength of this team all year, and now is the time for it to prove how strong it truly is and if it’s ready to carry the load for the team.  Whether it’s “fair” or not, Sam Ehlinger and the offense needs to do everything in its power to put up a near-perfect performance against TCU, and quite frankly, moving forward, until some of the injured players on defense make their way back to the starting line-up.  If the Longhorns can find a way to pull off a win in Fort Worth ahead of the second bye of the season, giving the guys recovering from injury an extra week to return to health, there’s a good chance a healthy defense/secondary could start taking some positive steps coming out of the bye week.  This game can go either way, but I’m going to give Texas the benefit of the doubt in this one with it going up against a one-dimensional TCU offense led by a true freshman QB.  Texas 38, TCU 35

Mike Roach, Recruiting Analyst

If ever Texas needed a big response game, it’s this week on the road against TCU.  It’s funny to say that about a Top 15 ranked team, but the last few weeks exposed serious flaws in this Texas team.  A sound beating against the Horned Frogs on the road could calm the waters, but I don’t know if the Longhorns have it in them.  I expect to see another shootout, but the thought of Jalen Reagor running through the Texas secondary is a bit terrifying.  TCU 37, Texas 34

Clint Buckley, Recruiting Reporter

For whatever reason(s), the 2019 Texas Longhorns defense isn't working. Chalk it up to injuries, inexperience, scheme, poor fundamentals, etc. At this point of the season, it's time to come to grips with the fact that this is who Texas is on defense this year.  The offense has been great for the most part, but the last three weeks there have been some hiccups. Which is why it's hard for me to have confidence in Texas pulling off a Big 12 road-win right now.  TCU 42, Texas 38. 

Edited by LTtxfan

On 10/25/2019 at 9:08 AM, Valmy77 said:

Where is your evidence they are all over the place? Each game has been pretty similar this season.

We have no idea what we are going to get from play to play much less game to game.  The inconsistency meme applies to every single down.

I want to say 42-24 horns but i'm going with 31-31 coin flip.