2019 Election thread

Voldemort86

2 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Lead is tightening. Down to 1.2% with 93% counted. 

I was gonna say, NYT page narrows with every update. I don't know shit about KY but just by guessing on the map it looks like most of the outstanding counties are hard R. I guess the pundits think there aren't enough votes there to overcome the lead plus the few straggler D precincts still out there. 

I was gonna say, NYT page narrows with every update. I don't know shit about KY but just by guessing on the map it looks like most of the outstanding counties are hard R. I guess the pundits think there aren't enough votes there to overcome the lead plus the few straggler D precincts still out there. 

Some of the counties have around a 1,000 total votes.

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Same. I'm especially worried about that one gray county between Lexington and Cincinnati.

As for TX, looks like all props will sail through. Shocker. The income tax one was really dumb and unnecessary. Imagine being part of the miserable 7 percent that voted no on service dogs being transferred to their handlers at retirement though.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

As for TX, looks like all props will sail through. Shocker. The income tax one was really dumb and unnecessary. Imagine being part of the miserable 7 percent that voted no on service dogs being transferred to their handlers at retirement though.

I voted for it, but there was no need for the service animal vote. Zero evidence that one handler was not able to adopt their service animal. But hey it felt good.   We should add more unnecessary props that make us happy.

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

FWIW, I trust Wasserman’s judgement over local news and raw vote numbers.

Yeah, waiting for Nate Cohn to tweet again, but Wasserman does this for a living and I'd be shocked if he got it wrong.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I voted for it, but there was no need for the service animal vote. Zero evidence that one handler was not able to adopt their service animal. But hey it felt good.   We should add more unnecessary props that make us happy.

Maybe so, I won't pretend to be well informed on the issue. My understanding from brief research was that the law said state property, aka the dog, can't be transferred to citizens. At least not in a straightforward way. I have no idea how that was enforced or whether or not it even was at all. If it was unenforced maybe it was indeed unnecessary, but I still can't see a reason to vote no on it. Not worth a rabbit hole though.

4 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Jefferson still at 96% so more votes for Beshear to be had. 

Roughly calculated he'll pick up about 6000 more in Louisville/Jefferson and has a 12000 lead statewide, but there are 4 deeply red (I'm assuming) rural counties that are showing 0% votes counted.

the notion that Dems can't read much into Beshear is true BUT the same trends are occurring in the burbs in KY as they are playing out elswhere.  That's a nationwide phenomenon.  KY is going to Trump no doubt, but the same phenomenon will make other states much tighter and will require him to spend money defending and time visiting those states and they are still going to be tough wins and some will be lost.  So I think there is plenty to take away from this one.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

the notion that Dems can't read much into Beshear is true BUT the same trends are occurring in the burbs in KY as they are playing out elswhere.  That's a nationwide phenomenon.  KY is going to Trump no doubt, but the same phenomenon will make other states much tighter and will require him to spend money defending and time visiting those states and they are still going to be tough wins and some will be lost.  So I think there is plenty to take away from this one.

I’m just glad that fucking idiot trump won’t scream MAGA tonight on twitter and talk about how great his shitty rally in Kentucky was. 

you just lost trump. Good job In helping out your boy Bevin.

1 minute ago, Voldemort86 said:

I’m just glad that fucking idiot trump won’t scream MAGA tonight on twitter and talk about how great his shitty rally in Kentucky was. 

you just lost trump. Good job In helping out your boy Bevin.

He’ll just do it about MS instead. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This would be huge. 

im thinking about redistricting a lot lately because next year is 2020. Virginia has come along way this decade. In 2010, Virginia had a republican house, republican senate, and republican governor. We know for sure that 2020 will have a democrat governor, democratic senate, and we’re still waiting on the house to be called. 

2010 was a perfect storm in redistricting nationwide. Republicans got all they wanted and the Dems got screwed. Now, hopefully we can screw the repubs over in Virginia.

Edited by Voldemort86
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

Here's the sober reality. How do we reach those who don't live in the population, education, or employment centers of this country?

Screenshot-20191105-201411-Chrome.jpg

At some level you can’t. They will be left behind in education, jobs and healthcare especially if they never leave small town America. 

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

At some level you can’t. They will be left behind in education, jobs and healthcare especially if they never leave small town America. 

This is the correct answer.  You might as well try to turn Lufkin blue - some areas (which coincidentally are dying areas) and people are unreachable.

Edited by Message Board User

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Partially agree, but I'm romantically (and professionally) wedded to the notion that we can drag some of small town America along with us by helping them with education and restructuring/reforming/diversifying their local economies.

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 1

If he's not, he better be. This result moves Moscow Mitch's Senate race up to a tier where he has to burn scarce cash to actively defend it, along with Texas and both Georgia seats. 

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Moscow Mitch must be nervous with results like this.

When I look at the other statewide KY races, the gop won easily. I don’t understand when parties refuse to kick out candidates, even incumbents, that aren’t worst keeping. Sure maybe you can squeeze out a win, but you don’t need to. Just put up a decent candidate and you don’t risk losing.  Like with Cruz last year.  Obviously he won, but an unknown gop candidate probably would have won without the fuss.

theres something to be said about having a kingmaker(s) behind the scenes in politics that can tell the governor to retire.