2020 Transfer and Grad-Transfer Available Players

texifornia

13 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Happy with the way the staff is proactively working the grad transfer market. Goddamn though, with the state or our OL depth I guess that means they can't find any halfway viable option willing to help us out in the trenches. 

It's too late for an OL. Would have had to have been added before camp to realistically contribute in 2020

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It's too late for an OL. Would have had to have been added before camp to realistically contribute in 2020

Normally I'd agree but I think you have to look at it a little differently this season. Get another reasonably talented guy in now and bring him along as fast as you can and then you have him as an emergency option if shit gets crazy during the season. He isn't risking a year of eligibility, so it could be a guy who has every intention of staying two years and fighting for real PT in 2021. He just gets an extra season in the program. 

Bruce Feldman was talking on his pod this week about the possibility of teams having to move guys from the DL to play in the offensive side if Covid were to take most of that room at one time (as a hypothetical). Hopefully it won't come to that but it's likely guys are going to play that wouldn't be considered ready in normal years. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

That's also why they need to be practicing in different personnel groupings. If we lose a lineman or two it will almost force Texas to go more 12 personnel with another blocker at the line of scrimmage. 

Texas is doing things to prepare for the potential loss of players during the season due to Covid...

And the concern isn’t just about the normal injuries that happen in college football. Instead, the concern is that a cluster of positive COVID-19 cases, or the need to self isolate or quarantine multiple players in a position group, could leave Texas short of players at a particular position for one or more games.

So Herman plans on using 80 to 90 percent of his scholarship roster this season due to the coronavirus. The Longhorns have altered practice as a result, mixing the second- and third-team players more frequently, in part because the team’s overall fitness level is below the norm after so much time around campus.

Herman is keeping two key things in mind as he plans for the season.    “The one being myself as the head coach being cognizant of the fact that we just need some more blocks of just time devoted to the third group, but also the second part of that is making sure that those guys rotate in with the ones and twos — the ones and twos needed to because we’ve not quite been in the shape that we’re used to be in this time of year. Those guys have gotten some very valuable reps,” Herman said.

The players staying on-campus are in San Jacinto dorm and 90 percent overall plan to take online classes only, which will limit their exposure to the rest of the student body during class time.  Meanwhile, Herman continues to emphasize that the teams with the most discipline are going to set themselves up for success this season.

“The most mature, level-headed, rule-following teams are going to be the ones that have the best opportunity to win at a very high level this season and our guys are completely bought into that fact,” Herman said following the team’s first scrimmage. 

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2020/8/25/21401862/texas-longhorns-roster-matrix-opt-outs-injuries-walk-ons

Edited by LTtxfan

4 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Strange place to return to due to all the verbal abuse he received causing him to transfer in the first place...

Pretty sure it was the teammate holding a gun to his head that convinced him to leave Athens. That teammate must have gone to the NFL.

3 hours ago, gordogg24p said:

Pretty sure it was the teammate holding a gun to his head that convinced him to leave Athens. That teammate must have gone to the NFL.

Somethings weird about the culture in Athens if the gun wielding teammate was allow to state on the Bulldogs while a 5-star QB recruit left.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's almost like CoachO is a good short-term motivator who caught lightning in a bottle with a couple hires but isn't very good at holding a program together I'm just spitballing here

or maybe this is what happens when you have hired guns. they won their championship and have no loyalty to the school or program.

Just now, crash_davis said:

or maybe this is what happens when you have hired guns. they won their championship and have no loyalty to the school or program.

I don't think they're any more reliant on that than any other major college program, especially since they always have a core of kids from Louisiana that have never in a million years pictured themselves playing college ball anywhere else.

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's almost like CoachO is a good short-term motivator who caught lightning in a bottle with a couple hires but isn't very good at holding a program together I'm just spitballing here

The rumor is that some of his current and recent-ex players aren't happy with how he's death with current social issues

• Hook 'Em 1

holy shit. didn't realize the dude had been moved to the starting spot on the depth chart. TigerdroppingsSEC Rant informed me that he was not even on the 2-deep. Coach O on the other hand ... 

One of the many under the radar moves Orgeron and the staff made was moving the uber athletic tight end TK McLendon over to defensive end. It was a move made five months ago in anticipation of this moment and the potential McLendon showed from day one with the program.

Orgeron said McLendon has made such a phenomenal transition in those five months since making the move, that he’s now in the driver’s seat to win a starting job. 

“TK McLendon, he’s the perfect 4-3 and so is Justin Thomas,” Orgeron said. “Those guys will play in four techniques, that’s inside the tackle, now they’re playing outside, more of an attacking defense.”

McLendon’s case is just one of the many maneuvers the Tigers have had to make and they’re hoping all will turn out to be diamonds in the rough. 

Here’s a breakdown of the entire depth chart laid out by Orgeron on Wednesday.

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

so if you make money, you hate black people?

Not at all my man. Fiscally conservative people usually vote to the right. Taxes suck. 

to think there isn’t a major disconnect between 18 year old black kids and 50 year old white millionaire coaches is silly. That’s why you have assistants. 

Edited by TexanTraveling
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It turns out that when you're head coach, that shit all matters a hell of a lot more than when you're the goofball assistant.

if his players are pissed that he's tone deaf to BLM and stuff, then what's the excuse for aggy players? except for a few hours on Saturdays, their whole fucking school hates them.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

holy shit. didn't realize the dude had been moved to the starting spot on the depth chart. TigerdroppingsSEC Rant informed me that he was not even on the 2-deep. Coach O on the other hand ... 

Before the opt-outs, they had one guy who had one DE spot locked down, and three I think guys competing to start at the other one and also to rotate in with the first team. The guy who had the starting spot locked down opted-out, and the one who was the most likely to start quit the team, so once those two were gone this latest guy was probably in the two-deep 

18 minutes ago, TexanTraveling said:

to think there isn’t a major disconnect between 18 year old black kids and 50 year old white millionaire coaches is silly. That’s why you have assistants.

This is an old school mentality - it's bullshit - and it speaks directly to issues that some schools have and why Texas and Herman have been a model for how to handle these events. Tom Herman's entire ethos  "don't just talk about it, be about it" is at the heart of why this hasn't torn Texas locker room apart, and instead has brought the guys together and effected real change and given them not only a voice, but the confidence in speaking and demanding change and the assurance that Herman has their back. 

If the head coach needs assistants to make a connection to the players about issues as important as this, he's the wrong guy for the job. Period. If you are the parent of a recruit that could go play anywhere in the country you cannot entrust a random assistant to be the touchstone for your son, it should come from the HC. If it doesn't, honestly you shouldn't be considering that school.

Edited by golfclap
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, golfclap said:

This is an old school mentality - it's bullshit - and it speaks directly to issues that some schools have and why Texas and Herman have been a model for how to handle these events. Tom Herman's entire ethos  "don't just talk about it, be about it" is at the heart of why this hasn't torn Texas locker room apart, and instead has brought the guys together and effected real change and given them not only a voice, but the confidence in speaking and demanding change and the assurance that Herman has their back. 

If the head coach needs assistants to make a connection to the players about issues as important as this, he's the wrong guy for the job. Period. If you are the parent of a recruit that could go play anywhere in the country you cannot entrust a random assistant to be the touchstone for your son, it should come from the HC. If it doesn't, honestly you shouldn't be considering that school.

Agreed. I'm still hopeful that last season's failure was a learning experience for Herman, not just as an Xs and Os thing but as a player management thing (if you believe insiders that said there was significant tension in the locker room near the end of last season).

Not to sound insensitive, but I wonder if this kind of general unrest was exactly the opportunity Herman needed to regain the trust/confidence/respect/etc. of the locker room.

3 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Agreed. I'm still hopeful that last season's failure was a learning experience for Herman, not just as an Xs and Os thing but as a player management thing (if you believe insiders that said there was significant tension in the locker room near the end of last season).

Not to sound insensitive, but I wonder if this kind of general unrest was exactly the opportunity Herman needed to regain the trust/confidence/respect/etc. of the locker room.

i imagine he regained trust when he fired the shitty coaches he never should've hired.

i remember reading that just getting rid of meh prevented a mass exodus of the WRs.