Dallas | Italian

C-Man

52 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Good advice. I think I'll opt for Sprezza and save The Charles for our anniversary. Been wanting to try Sprezza for a while now.

If they don't have them on the menu the night you go, ask your server if it's possible for them to put together the flash-fried brussels with green apples and goat cheese. Fucking divine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

The Charles is a glitzy big night out. She'll put on the Manolos for the seen and be seen crowd.  The good news is that the food lives up to it.

Sprezza is for a more intimate, simpler night out.  She can meet you there after work in her Ann Taylor.   But the food is also excellent and creative.

You can't lose either way.  It just depends on how you like to celebrate birthdays. 

This is the most Dallas fucking comment ever. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 2:56 PM, C-Man said:

If they don't have them on the menu the night you go, ask your server if it's possible for them to put together the flash-fried brussels with green apples and goat cheese. Fucking divine.

Got this for the first time recently, @C-Man is not kidding...this is fantastic.

Sprezza hits the sweet spot of truly fantastic food without paying an arm and a leg or being pretentious. 

Also, get the cacio e pepe. It is stunning. 

On 2/18/2019 at 10:04 AM, NoName said:

Got this for the first time recently, @C-Man is not kidding...this is fantastic.

I've been making my own version at the house except I roast the brussels in the oven. Coat them in EVOO, whatever seasoning you want and then the balsamic glaze after they come out. Then into the bowl with the apples and goat cheese. So freakin' good.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, C-Man said:

I've been making my own version at the house except I roast the brussels in the oven. Coat them in EVOO, whatever seasoning you want and then the balsamic glaze after they come out. Then into the bowl with the apples and goat cheese. So freakin' good.

C-Man can you expand on this in more detail for those of us who are culinarily challenged.  Thinking I want to give this a shot.  I've never had the OG ones at Sprezza, but sounds like something Mrs Landomatic and the kid would love.

Coat in EVOO and seasoning, then roast in the oven?  How long at what temp?  You keep them whole or sliced or shaved or?  Then what is this balsamic glaze and how much do you use?  Just toss the roasted brussels around with the apples and goat cheese with balsamic?  Or is there more to it than that?

13 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

C-Man can you expand on this in more detail for those of us who are culinarily challenged.  Thinking I want to give this a shot.  I've never had the OG ones at Sprezza, but sounds like something Mrs Landomatic and the kid would love.

Coat in EVOO and seasoning, then roast in the oven?  How long at what temp?  You keep them whole or sliced or shaved or?  Then what is this balsamic glaze and how much do you use?  Just toss the roasted brussels around with the apples and goat cheese with balsamic?  Or is there more to it than that?

Brussels are actually pretty easy because they are hard to overcook. C-Man can give you time/temp, but for any Brussels I would cut off the stems, slice in half, wash, throw them in a large ziploc bag with olive oil, salt, pepper, wev else you fancy and make sure they get an even coating. 

The last time I did them I actually started them on the stove, kind of pan fried them on both sides, and then finished in the oven at 350. Obviously that takes more attention and creates more of a mess, but man they came out perfect. 

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

ztejas hits it below. You just want to get a little "crunch" on the sprouts. Cut off the stems and cut them in half. I think I toss them in the oven at 400 or so degrees for 25-30 minutes until they start to brown and crisp up. The balsamic glaze is called Glaze with balsamic vinegar. It's viscous and sweet so go easy when you drizzle it on. You can find it in any grocery store from Kroger/Tom Thumb to Central Market/Whole Foods.

https://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Giottos-Balsamic-Glaze/dp/B008BZCSZG/ref=asc_df_B008BZCSZG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309837824615&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=575859536532699514&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9041376&hvtargid=pla-570059232201&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=67184459012&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309837824615&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=575859536532699514&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9041376&hvtargid=pla-570059232201

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Brussels are actually pretty easy because they are hard to overcook. C-Man can give you time/temp, but for any Brussels I would cut off the stems, slice in half, wash, throw them in a large ziploc bag with olive oil, salt, pepper, wev else you fancy and make sure they get an even coating. 

The last time I did them I actually started them on the stove, kind of pan fried them on both sides, and then finished in the oven at 350. Obviously that takes more attention and creates more of a mess, but man they came out perfect. 

Pan fry sounds like a great idea, then just transfer cast iron directly to the oven to finish. My best advice is go to Sprezza and ask them to make it for you -- if it's not on the menu that night. What I've been doing lately is cutting the apples in smaller chunks than the halved brussels sprouts. Crumble some goat cheese on top or put it down in the bowl and put the hot sprouts on top to let it all melt together. The latter melds the dish better but it also takes a lot of the natural green out of the sprouts. I think I might boil the sprouts and put them in ice bath, then into the oven to see if I can keep that beautiful green through the process.

This has pushed me into a full-on goat cheese frenzy. I never knew how much I loved that shit.

Edited by C-Man
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, C-Man said:

ztejas hits it below. You just want to get a little "crunch" on the sprouts. Cut off the stems and cut them in half. I think I toss them in the oven at 400 or so degrees for 25-30 minutes until they start to brown and crisp up. The balsamic glaze is called Glaze with balsamic vinegar. It's viscous and sweet so go easy when you drizzle it on. You can find it in any grocery store from Kroger/Tom Thumb to Central Market/Whole Foods.

https://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Giottos-Balsamic-Glaze/dp/B008BZCSZG/ref=asc_df_B008BZCSZG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309837824615&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=575859536532699514&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9041376&hvtargid=pla-570059232201&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=67184459012&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309837824615&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=575859536532699514&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9041376&hvtargid=pla-570059232201

Pan fry sounds like a great idea, then just transfer cast iron directly to the oven to finish. My best advice is go to Sprezza and ask them to make it for you -- if it's not on the menu that night. What I've been doing lately is cutting the apples in smaller chunks than the halved brussels sprouts. Crumble some goat cheese on top or put it down in the bowl and put the hot sprouts on top to let it all melt together. The latter melds the dish better but it also takes a lot of the natural green out of the sprouts. I think I might boil the sprouts and put them in ice bath, then into the oven to see if I can keep that beautiful green through the process.

This has pushed me into a full-on goat cheese frenzy. I never knew how much I loved that shit.

Alright...trying it tonight.  Damn Whole Foods Amazon Prime Now Delivery makes it easy.  I'll report back, hopefully with pics.

22 hours ago, ztejas said:

21 hours ago, C-Man said:

Well, I gave it a shot.  Hard to know how close I got since I haven't had the original from Sprezza.  I assume I fucked it up quite a bit though since mine was decent, but nowhere near the greatness y'all have made theirs out to be.

Here's the first step with just the cast iron to crisp the brussels up a little before putting them in the oven.  Honestly, I'm thinking maybe I just should have quit cooking them here.  The brussels were so bright and green and vibrant after this part.  I ate a couple and they were great and I can't help but think if I had just added the apple, goat cheese and balsamic there, they might have been amazing.  But I didn't...

1wfeuk.jpg

Didn't get any in between pics, but this is the end result.  Brussels were pretty dark and shriveled by this point and I really had no clue what type of ratios I should have, with regard to goat cheese and apples.  Ended up adding about 1 whole green apple and I'd say about 1/4 cup of goat cheese crumbles.  Again, it was okay but nowhere near the rave-worthy shit y'all are talking about...

A3TwAI.jpg

And this was my tribute to @Jack Straw trying to get my dog in the shot.  That didn't turn out very well either as she kept wanting to lick the floor and wouldn't pay attention.  So, pretty much double fail on my part.  Oh well...

rtjo1G.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Well, I gave it a shot.  Hard to know how close I got since I haven't had the original from Sprezza.  I assume I fucked it up quite a bit though since mine was decent, but nowhere near the greatness y'all have made theirs out to be.

Here's the first step with just the cast iron to crisp the brussels up a little before putting them in the oven.  Honestly, I'm thinking maybe I just should have quit cooking them here.  The brussels were so bright and green and vibrant after this part.  I ate a couple and they were great and I can't help but think if I had just added the apple, goat cheese and balsamic there, they might have been amazing.  But I didn't...

1wfeuk.jpg

Didn't get any in between pics, but this is the end result.  Brussels were pretty dark and shriveled by this point and I really had no clue what type of ratios I should have, with regard to goat cheese and apples.  Ended up adding about 1 whole green apple and I'd say about 1/4 cup of goat cheese crumbles.  Again, it was okay but nowhere near the rave-worthy shit y'all are talking about...

A3TwAI.jpg

And this was my tribute to @Jack Straw trying to get my dog in the shot.  That didn't turn out very well either as she kept wanting to lick the floor and wouldn't pay attention.  So, pretty much double fail on my part.  Oh well...

rtjo1G.jpg

My last batch turned out like that. My first instinct is you used way too much apple. I think 1/4 might've been plenty, 1/2 for sure. You didn't use the already-separated goat cheese did you? That stuff doesn't have near enough flavor and it doesn't meld well.

Another excuse to go to Sprezza!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to try the apple some time.  I just do halves in the cast iron skillet tossed with olive oil, balsamic, salt, and pepper.  15 minutes in the oven at 425.  They are delicious.  The goat cheese is a great addition, but it's good without it, too.

Sprezza was great. Just a great meal from start to finish. It was a slow night for them so our waiter really took the time to walk us through the menu. We went with the fried olives and the suppli for starters and then shared the cappelletti and ravioli. Since it was my wife’s birthday, they threw in dessert so we had the olive oil cake. We’ve already planned to go back for the pizza and bucatini. Great call my surly bros.

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

First trip to The Charles on tap tonight. Really looking forward to it. We are going with a couple who have been long-time patients/friends of my FIL's dental practice and they're clients of mine. He is big in the wine business and this is one of his favorite places to go -- I expect a fantastic experience.

Oh man, that shit was good. Sorry didn’t document it but we got a bunch of stuff. Place ain’t cheap but, man, it’s delish.

d617ca3312590b6d0d6cb965ffcd752d.jpg

This was my main — an Italian pot “pie” with lobster and potato and broccolini.

959124f9070e9e99320f94d9b49a4cb0.jpg

The charred oysters (not shown) were terrific.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2019 at 9:56 AM, C-Man said:

Cool!

Going into Northpark doesn’t excite me much at all.  I guess it makes sense for them, I just hate going to that fucking mall.  Still gonna check it out though.

Edited by Landomatic

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Going into Northpark doesn’t excite me much at all.  I guess it makes sense for them, I just hate going to that fucking mall.  Still gonna check it out though.

I would assume it will have an entrance on the exterior wall so you won't need to actually go into the mall to get there. But I'm right there with you -- I avoid all malls like the plague if I can.

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I would assume it will have an entrance on the exterior wall so you won't need to actually go into the mall to get there. But I'm right there with you -- I avoid all malls like the plague if I can.

We’ll still have to park.  That alone is enough of a nut kick to not want to go, even if I can avoid the actual mall.  The parking is bad all year, but kill me around the holidays.  Hopefully they’ll have their own valet.

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2019 at 11:11 AM, DFWTexEx said:

That sounds great.  We love Sprezza, but need to make it to Fachini.

Do you want to know what is not hitting it's stride?

Circo Misses The Mark

CIrco Is An Expensive Disaster

It sounds like the douchiest place ever, expensive and bad.  A pool?

Circo closed this past weekend.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/circo-tx-closed-this-weekend-heres-the-inside-story-of-dallas-biggest-restaurant-disaster-11682462

• Like 2

Spectacular crash and burn. Lando called it. From the article:

Conversations with 10 former Circo employees and contractors paint a picture of a $7 million investment plagued by unending chaos, including dozens of bounced paychecks for the entire staff, a kitchen stranded without suppliers or ingredients, mechanics’ liens for over $300,000, a culture of secrecy, wild parties and, presiding over it all, Santagati, whom one former employee describes as “Bernie Madoff meets Snooki.”

Brian Ellard, co-owner of Mille Lire, was among 10 people killed in the Beechcraft crash at Addison Airport on Sunday morning.

A family of four was among the 10 people killed in Sunday's plane crash at Addison Airport, according to a letter released Monday by one of the children's schools.

Two other victims were identified Monday by JLL, a Dallas-based commercial real estate company, in an email to employees. Late Monday afternoon, the Dallas County Medical Examiner's office identified another victim.

John Paul II High School in Plano sent a letter to families that said one of its students and her brother, mother and stepfather were on board the twin-engine Beechcraft BE-350 King Air that crashed into a hangar just after 9 a.m. Sunday.

The school identified Alice Maritato, 15, who was expected to graduate in 2022, as well as her brother Dylan, 13, who would have finished eighth grade at All Saints Catholic School in 2020, as among the 10 dead. The siblings' mother Ornella Ellard and stepfather Brian Ellard, 52, also died in the crash.

The letter said the students are survived by their father, Michele Maritato.

Brian Ellard co-owned Dallas restaurant Mille Lire, which issued a statement Monday.

"We are incredibly saddened by the tragic loss of our co-owner Brian Ellard and family Ornella, Alice and Dylan. Mille Lire was built around the tradition of our family, and as you can imagine, this sudden loss has affected us all. Our doors are still open and we are thankful for the support of our community. We continue to ask for thoughts and prayers for everyone involved."

Steve Thelen, 58, who worked at JLL, and his wife Gina were also among the 10 people who died in the crash, according to an email to employees. The JLL email said Steve had a son and daughter who were not on the plane.

Thelen-photo.jpg
Gina, left, and Steve Thelen.
Photo credit: Facebook: Darryl Taylor

Matthew Palmer, 27, was also killed in the crash. No further information has been released about him at this time.

Funeral arrangements have not yet been set for any of the victims.

According to the John Paul II High School letter, mourners are encouraged to attend Mass Wednesday at 9 a.m. at All Saints Catholic Church in Dallas.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/School-Identifies-Family-of-4-as-Victims-in-Deadly-Addison-Plane-Crash-512063302.html

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Brian Ellard, co-owner of Mille Lire, was among 10 people killed in the Beechcraft crash at Addison Airport on Sunday morning.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/School-Identifies-Family-of-4-as-Victims-in-Deadly-Addison-Plane-Crash-512063302.html

That's sad. I didn't realize 10 people died in that crash. 

On another note - got a spinach calzone from Italia Express today. I'm convinced that that place can't be beat for the price (unless we're talking sammys at Jimmy's). 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 10:45 AM, C-Man said:

Lulz. Pretentious idiots are easily parted with their money. 

The icing on the cake is the picture of the letter from president grifter himself. Of course he'd love those crooks, they ran their business in the exact same unethical and criminal way he ran his. Modern day Americans are so easy to scam. 

• Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

The icing on the cake is the picture of the letter from president grifter himself. Of course he'd love those crooks, they ran their business in the exact same unethical and criminal way he ran his. Modern day Americans are so easy to scam. 

Take it to the cloak room you fucking tool.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Take it to the cloak room you fucking tool.

Stating factual information about a figure that's named and or shown in the quoted article does not belong in cloakroom you pompous fucking idiot.

From your posts I can pretty easily tell that you're the type of person I would never associate with in real life so it's probably best we just ignore each other's posts on here. This is the last time I read or respond to anything you post and I'd suggest you do likewise. 

59 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Stating factual information about a figure that's named and or shown in the quoted article does not belong in cloakroom you pompous fucking idiot.

What you posted is not fact.  It's your opinion about Trump and belongs in the cloak room.  I'm just shocked you don't know the difference between opinion and fact.  Shocked I tell ya.

From your posts I can pretty easily tell that you're the type of person I would never associate with in real life so it's probably best we just ignore each other's posts on here. This is the last time I read or respond to anything you post and I'd suggest you do likewise. 

Coming from by far, hands down, one of the worst posters on here, I take this as a huge compliment.

And that's my opinion, not a fact...just to help you learn the difference.  It also just happens to be the same opinion as a lot of other people on here.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Oh good Junior Miller has found his way to Dallas naoch. 

I’ll apologize now if I’m the one who drew him in.  I generally try to live by the old phrase, “don’t argue with idiots...they’ll just drag you down to their dumbass level and beat you with experience.”  I know he’s ruining our Ticket thread.  Didn’t mean to have him ruin our dallas food stuff too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For cheap Italian, Italia Express in Cedar Springs is absolute money. Can't speak to the pizza but you can get pretty damn good pasta for 8 or 9 bucks that comes with sinfully good garlic bread. 

Absolutely. Went there last night, it’s legit. Not far behind “some” local NYC joints. The pizza, calzones, and Stromboli’s are legit. My wife loves the baked ziti from there and she’s a New Yorker. Just don’t order online as they suck at having your shit ready until you remind them upon arrival.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Is there a consensus on which is better between Fachini or The Charles for a date night? Haven't been to either yet.  Leaning towards Fachini from a menu perspective - would like to see if someone finally figured out how to make a good veal parm in this town.  

Both good for date night.  We live close to Fachini and find ourselves going to The Charles a lot more often despite it being further.  But that’s just us.  If you want more traditional red sauce pasta, do Fachini.  More adventurous exotic small plates so you order a bunch of different stuff, do The Charles.

Fachini is a little older Highland Park snob crowd.  The Charles can go a little younger douchey crowd but it’s not too bad.  Both are pretty see and be seen feeling at times.  And there’s a fair amount of both older and younger at both places.

I have heard The Charles opened (or is opening) kind of a speakeasy type lounge for drinks before or after dinner which sounds kinda cool, but haven’t been yet.  Located behind the restaurant I think.  Of course, if you want to do that type of thing, you can always walk over to the Monkey Bar or 31 if you pick Fachini.

Kinda just depends what you’re into.  And by you, I mean your date.  Maybe take her shopping before dinner if you do Fachini then drinks after.  Chicks dig that shit.  Boom...Christmas and date night in a box.  And honestly, if you’re doing this soon, pretty tough to beat the lights and holiday vibe around HPV.  Traffic sucks right now and you better get to work on a reservation like yesterday.  But it’s festive as fuck.  I’d probably go Fachini.

And to answer your question, no...Fachini hasn’t figured Veal Parm out either.  It’s good but nowhere near as good as the best ones I’ve had.  Best I’ve had In Dallas is probably, believe it or not, Taverna on Knox/Henderson, but only when it’s cooked just right.  And even then, still not as good as the best I’ve had.

Good luck and have fun.  There’s really no wrong answer if you ask me.

Both good for date night.  We live close to Fachini and find ourselves going to The Charles a lot more often despite it being further.  But that’s just us.  If you want more traditional red sauce pasta, do Fachini.  More adventurous exotic small plates so you order a bunch of different stuff, do The Charles.
Fachini is a little older Highland Park snob crowd.  The Charles can go a little younger douchey crowd but it’s not too bad.  Both are pretty see and be seen feeling at times.  And there’s a fair amount of both older and younger at both places.
I have heard The Charles opened (or is opening) kind of a speakeasy type lounge for drinks before or after dinner which sounds kinda cool, but haven’t been yet.  Located behind the restaurant I think.  Of course, if you want to do that type of thing, you can always walk over to the Monkey Bar or 31 if you pick Fachini.
Kinda just depends what you’re into.  And by you, I mean your date.  Maybe take her shopping before dinner if you do Fachini then drinks after.  Chicks dig that shit.  Boom...Christmas and date night in a box.  And honestly, if you’re doing this soon, pretty tough to beat the lights and holiday vibe around HPV.  Traffic sucks right now and you better get to work on a reservation like yesterday.  But it’s festive as fuck.  I’d probably go Fachini.
And to answer your question, no...Fachini hasn’t figured Veal Parm out either.  It’s good but nowhere near as good as the best ones I’ve had.  Best I’ve had In Dallas is probably, believe it or not, Taverna on Knox/Henderson, but only when it’s cooked just right.  And even then, still not as good as the best I’ve had.
Good luck and have fun.  There’s really no wrong answer if you ask me.

Both of those sound like places for me to avoid. (Old HP and younger douchey)